Author Topic: The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port  (Read 44824 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:13:41 AM »
vs.

The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port:

First off, let me say that, quite simply, if you want to play your Game Boy games on the big screen, don't even consider Datel's Advance Game Port.  All things considered, it is simply not worth it - there are too many flaws and the Game Boy Player is all-in-all a much better alternative.  However - where exactly does the Advance Game Port fit in?  Why would Datel create a product if they felt it was completely inferior to an existing product on the market?  Perhaps there's more to this little device than we think.

Let's break this down into a few different categories:

Availability:
Game Boy Player - For about $50 (even less used) you can pick one of these puppies up at generally any gaming store, some retail stores, or directly from Nintendo's website at store.nintendo.com.  I've had mine since about release and have never had an issue.

Advance Game Port - The suggested retail on these is $35 - but you'll generally be able to find 'em new for cheaper.  If all else fails, you can order one directly from Datel at codejunkies.com.  I've never seen one for sale used, however.  Word of caution though, the software disc originally included in my package did not work *at all* and it took me about two weeks to manage to get someone from Datel to get a replacement disc to me.

• The Winner - Well, this one *should* go to the AGP since it's $15 cheaper - however they really lose points for having a faulty product and having about the worst customer service I can recall.  When I've dealt with Nintendo's Customer Service (although not over the Game Boy Player) it's been nothing but spectacular... I'm going to call this one a tie - simply because I'm not sure the $15 savings is worth dealing with the fire hoops that Datel makes you jump through to get help.

Hardware:
    Game Boy Player - The Game Boy Player is a one-inch tall square that connects through one of the data ports on the bottom of your GameCube.  If you have the GCN's Broadband or Dial-Up Modem installed, they will not affect the installation process one bit.  Installing the GBP is fairly simple, snap out a port cover, snap in the GBP and tighten some screws.

On the down side to the GBP - in the US, the unit is only sold in Black - so if you have an Indigo or Platinum GCN, you are going to end up with a 1" Black base to your GCN.  This doesn't look too unattractive, however one can't help but wish Nintendo would have released the alternative colors here as well.  In addition, because the GBP is designed to be more of a permanent attachment to your GCN, if you want to disconnect it to bring to a friend's house or such, there is *some* effort required (although near-minimal).  Because the unit does attach to the bottom via the screw-holes, the GBP prevents the ability to secure most third-party battery packs and some third-party monitors to your GCN - so keep this in mind as well if you own a battery pack/mobile screen for your Cube.

Also, the standard Game Boy Player design will not attach to the Japanese Panasonic Q - the GCN/DVD hybrid player.  For the Q, you need a specially designed Game Boy Player - and those will run you a pretty penny *if* you can even find one.

Advance Game Port - The Advance Game Port is a palm-sized device (think computer mouse size/shape) that can sit next to or dangle from your GCN.  This unit plugs into Memory Card Slot B and is as simple as putting in a memory card - and removed just as easily.  As with the GBP, the unit only comes in black, however it tends to not stand out as much, as the unit isn't directly attached to the GCN.

Since the unit attaches to through the memory card port, there is no issue securing battery packs or mobile monitors to your GCN!

Although I do not have a Panasonic Q to test the unit on, I see no reason why the unit would not work on the Q.  In fact, I have high hopes that the hardware will work with the upcoming Nintendo system Codenamed: 'Revolution' as well.  However, this is all speculation.

• The Winner - I'm going to have to give this one to the Advance Game Port.  It's smaller, easier to connect/disconnect, doesn't block the use of other accessories and doesn't prevent attaching other accessories (well, except a second memory card or GCN Microphone).

Software:
    Game Boy Player - The software that comes with the GBP is region coded - which means (in general) that the disc you need to run your GBP must have been purchased from the same country that your GCN was purchased from.

The options given with the GBP are pretty basic, a filter (which, in general, you won't notice much of a difference), a countdown timer, minor controller customization - nothing too exciting.

The two advantages that the GBP has is the Border/Screen Size adjustment and the reset feature.  The GBP allows you to view the Game Boy Game in one of two views.  "Full" view, which due to the wider shape of the Game Boy Advance screen, shows the border bars on the top and bottom of the picture (think "widescreen" DVD movies). The "Normal" view is shown in a somewhat smaller square which does help deter some of the pixelization  that occurs when you stretch images designed for the smaller GBA screen out to the larger TV screen.  The GBP comes loaded with 20 different borders, including a nice, plain black one.  The reset feature allows you to quickly load another Game Boy game (or even reload the one you're currently playing) without having to reboot the entire GameCube.  This can really be handy when you want to quickly reset your current game as you don't even have to get up off the couch.

Advance Game Port - This is where the AGP really shines - well, dimly glows I should say.  To start with, the AGP features 10 built-in games.  Nothing too exciting, basic shoot-'em-ups, a breakout clone and the like.  These ten games play something akin to some flash/java games on the web, but they are a nice distraction from time to time.  Second, the AGP has an almost fully-functional Action Replay (a.k.a. GameShark) *built-in*!  Not only that, but the AGP comes with a DVD disc to teach you the ins-and-outs of 'hacking' your favorite GBA games along with a feature that will let you play/pause the game and view various values and changes to help create your own cheat codes.  Another nice feature of this intergraded Action Replay is that during regular game play, you can press the Z button and bring up a list of cheat codes that you can then toggle on/off during game play!  A good example of this is in Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World - You're playing, running along and you want fire-power.  Hit the Z button and turn it on.  Now, suddenly, you want a cape, again, hit the Z button and toggle it on!  Need to be small to slip through a secret crack - use the "Small Mario" code, go through, then use the "Cape Mario" code right afterwards.  It's pretty neat!

Now, keen-eyed readers will notice that I said "almost fully-functional" Action Replay.  The AGP is lacking a button that the Action Replay for the Game Boy Advance had.  When you assigned a code to this button (say a code that lets Mario hover without falling) and you pressed the button on the top, it would activate the code.  Letting go of the button would turn it off.  The AGP is missing this button - although it could have been remapped to one of the GameCube Controller's buttons.  To rub in the lack of a button even more, the pre-loaded codes are the exact ones that are loaded into a GBA Action Replay - including codes for the button!

Another (minor) downside is that the built-in Action Replay does not allow me to use my PowerBoard - the Keyboard made for the GCN by the same company who makes the Advance Game Port.  Seems silly to me...

One last feature that the Advance Game Port has is that you can take "snapshots" of your game.  Basically, the AGB creates a Save Point at any point in the game - even if the GBA game doesn't allow saving.  These saves are created on your own GameCube memory card and require a whopping 50+ blocks each - so have your MC1019's handy.  Also, of course, since these saves are on the GCN's memory card, don't expect to be able to save your game on the AGP and load it up later on your Game Boy Advance - you'll have to open the save back up on your AGP.

As for viewing the games, the AGP shows the screen in about the same size that the GBP's "Normal" mode - however there is no option to adjust the border to something more pleasant than the purple/white glow of the Advance Game Port border.  While not horribly distracting, a blank/black option would have been nice.

• The Winner - Again, the Advance Game Port takes the gold here.  While I really, really like the reset/reload ability on the Game Boy Player, having a near-fully functional Action Replay on the Advance Game Port can't be beat.  Even those who don't want to cheat, the ability to tweak around in a game can make revisiting an old favorite a little more fun.  Try beating Super Mario World with the "Always Small Mario" code on.  The save state ability is a bit of a plus, especially for games that do not have a save feature.

Compatibility:
    Game Boy Player - Now is the time for the Game Boy Player to kick it into gear.  The Game Boy Player plays (almost-) every single Original Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance title on the market (there are a slight few exceptions) - and it does a damn good job at it!  The sound is crisp and clear, the colors are spectacular (well, unless you're playing an old Game Boy title!) and the selection is spectacular!

The GBP also features a GBA-Generation link port on the front of it, allowing the unit to be linked to other Game Boy units for multi-player games.  In addition, the GBP can be hooked up to other GBPs for multi-player Game Boy Games or can be hooked to a second GameCube for the ability to use the GBA Connectivity feature (although a second TV is also required).

Advance Game Port - Ouch... Where to begin.  First, the AGP *only* plays Game Boy Advance games.  Second, it doesn't even play all the Game Boy Advance Games.  Third, the games that it does play it doesn't play very well.

You'll only be playing GBA games - no original Game Boy or Game Boy Color games with this unit.  In addition, there are some games that play so glitchy on the unit, they're simply unplayable (extreme slow motion, etc).  As well, there are some GBA games that simply refuse to load (I was unable to get *any* of the   Classic NES Series games that I own to load).  The games I tested out that did play well were plagued with horrible sound (choppy and static-ridden music and effects), washed out colors and some minor frame rate issues.

Everyone will be happy to know that the e-Reader does work perfectly fine in the AGP though.

As for multi-player gaming... Nada.  No link port here.  DS-Style GBA single player only.

• The Winner - The Game Boy Player, hands down.  The games play pretty much as if you are playing them on a Game Boy Advance - and having the selection of over 16 years worth of games is wonderful, considering that you'll also be able to play the best game ever to grace mortal hands, Link's Awakening.

The Champion - Well, you'd think that since the Advance Game Port won two-point-five out of the four categories, it would win, but it doesn't!  While the built in Action Replay feature is probably the strongest positive on the AGP, it doesn't remotely compare to the GBP's ability to play all the Game Boy games - and play then well.  With some of the neat extra features, the Advance Game Port *would* have been a stronger contender if it even just played all Game Boy *Advance* games without horrible sound and such, but it doesn't and that is its weakest point.  The Game Boy Player plays games and, quite frankly, that's what it comes down to.
  • Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
      • PaleHour
    RE: The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 08:26:14 AM »
    TL;DR version:

The Advance Game Port shouldn't even be called a product...

Upon further reading you gave it a lot more credit than I did...

Maybe the american release is different than mine?  I got mine back from Lik-Sang when I ordered the Q GB Player and then got the sad email from them saying "We won't be getting anymore of those, but we have this one that works and its cheaper."  I haven't tried it again after it not running Mario Kart and running Fire Emblem in super slow motion...
    :: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
    ---------------------
    :: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
      • View Profile
    RE:The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:33:20 AM »
    Wow, that's a detailed comparison!  o_0

Generally, or almost always, actually, if I were to buy such a peripheral, I always buy the first-party product if one is available.  Probably the last third-party thing I bought was the DexDrive for the N64, because there's no official way to back up your N64 saves to your computer.  (Probably because they want you to just buy more Memory Paks, for one.)

It's like a Frankenstein's monster if you're using other people's parts, that's how I see it.  Only Nintendo-made things touch my Nintendo-made things.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • Score: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »
    When in doubt, or even not in doubt, Nintendo made products are better than third-party.  You know they are going to work, and the slightly higher price is nothing when you don't have to deal with being pissed off that a cheap knock-off doesn't work.
    Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
    Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
      • View Profile
      • PaleHour
    « Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 08:43:29 AM »
    If only stores weren't compltely ripping people off for the Q compatible players...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1b-77-b-49-en-15-panasonic%2Bgameboy%2Bplayer-70-291.html
    :: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
    ---------------------

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 08:50:07 AM »
    That was a good comparison but the problem is it's almost redundant.  Compatibility is the most important issue and the GB Player creams the AGP on that.  All the other stuff in comparison is window dressing.  Though I'll admit reading this I've learned far more about the AGP then I ever knew before.

The GB Player is so good that if all you care about are the games and portability isn't important to you you don't even really need a GBA at all.  Aside from motion control titles and connectivity the GB Player is perfect for anyone who would use a GBA like a home console.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 08:52:17 AM »
    I too always buy official Nintendo products (when the option exists) - however I'm such a hardware whore, so when the offer to get the Advance Game Port for cheap popped up, I jumped since I'd kinda wanted to play around with one of these anyway.

Two things of interest that I didn't include in the article - If you put an actual Action Replay into the Game Port (although you have to take the GamePort apart to get it to fit), the device ignores the Action Replay and loads the game that's inserted in it... Weird.

Second, I didn't get to try this out since I don't own any and don't want to spend money on any, but..
    Game Boy Advance Video Paks will not work on the Game Boy Player (although there is apparently Action Replay codes that override this).  Basically, a GBA GamePak can be coded to "see" if it is playing in a Game Boy Player.  When the GBP boots up, the system sends a signal to the game pak that all four directions on the controller's D-Pad are being pushed at the same time - something which is really not possible (unless your controller is *really* messed up).  When GBA Video Paks detect that they're being shown on a GBP, they lock up.

Basically what it comes down to is Majesco doesn't have the "Home Video" rights to the 'toons they're distributing - so to keep their lisencing fees down, a way to disable TV playback had to be implimented. (Although according to Nintendo's website, it's to prevent illegal copying - which is bunk)

However, I see no reason why the Advance Game Port would send the D-Pad signal to the game pak - and thus, I would assume that the GBA Videos would play on the TV through the AGP...
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
      • View Profile
      • PaleHour
    « Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 08:56:12 AM »
    Preventing illegal copying isn't really all bunk, as you could easily hook your GCN up to a VCR and copy them that way.  
    ---------------------

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:00:22 AM »
    However, I could do pretty much the same thing with the DVD copies of these episodes - and get a heck of a lot better quality...
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:21:54 AM »
    "Basically what it comes down to is Majesco doesn't have the 'Home Video' rights to the 'toons they're distributing - so to keep their lisencing fees down, a way to disable TV playback had to be implimented."

Makes sense but what sort of tool would buy the GBA Video packs to watch those shows at home?  The idea behind those things is so that kids can watch Spongebob on the playground or in the car or whatever.

And regarding copying all of these shows are currently on TV.  I could just tape them from TV and then I don't even have to pay for the cartridge.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 09:31:28 AM »
    ... and, again, you'd have a lot better quality.

Anywhoo, *if* I buy something to watch (movie, TV show, etc), I want to be able to watch it on my TV - watching it on my GBA would be secondary to me.  And thus, I haven't bought any GBA Videos (although the selection doesn't do much to convince me to buy any).

This is why I think the entire PSP/UMD thing is crazy...  Why would I want to buy a $15 movie with less features that I can only watch on a tiny screen?

Now... if the PS3 could play UMD's, that would be kinda neat.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 01:52:25 PM »
    Even if you could watch the UMDs on TV, they're still at a lower resolution than their DVD counterparts (which would equate to peanut butter ass when played on those new HDTVs, cuz like, anything less than standard-def would look horrible am I rite?).  The compressed/pirated feature films on the interweb would look better.  And you pay for.. wHUT?
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 02:03:29 PM »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »
    Hmm... Unofficial GCN Game?  weird.. never heard of it...

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »
    yeah they were selling on ebay
    just a bunch of c64 games, there were 4 different versions

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 10:13:01 AM »
    You know, I got to thinking...  You can't use the e-Reader with the actual GBA Action Replay - the design of the two units just simply wouldn't work - even if you took 'em apart.

However, since the e-Reader *does* work with the Advance Game Port - it would seem that one could create Action Replay codes for the e-Reader.  Hmm...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
    • Score: -156
      • View Profile
    Re: The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port
    « Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
    Will the datel advance work for the wii's gamecube port?
    Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »
    Wow I didn't know tl;dr existed in 2006
    FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
    Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 31337
      • View Profile
      • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
    « Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
    Will the datel advance work for the wii's gamecube port?
    Sort of.  I tried it when the Wii first came out, and the disc wouldn't boot directly, so I had to use an Action Replay (which has since been blocked).  The sound played too fast on the Wii, probably due to the faster clock, but the games played okay otherwise.
    Aaron Kaluszka
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
    I am surprised that Nintendo has not done anything about the issue of the wii not being able to play game boy games. Why not have a gameboy channel on the wii and have a USB adapter that holds Game boy cartridges and the wii plays them on the TV.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • Score: -1350
      • View Profile
      • Spyke Shop
    « Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »
    Nintendo had abandoned the Game Boy systems by the time the Wii came out, that would be my guess why. The DS Lite was the last time they really thought about it.
    Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
    Nintendo had abandoned the Game Boy systems by the time the Wii came out, that would be my guess why. The DS Lite was the last time they really thought about it.

How hard would it be for them to make a GBA port with a USB connecter on the end to hook into the wii?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: -18986
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 03:09:23 PM »
    It wouldn't be hard at all, but that doesn't change the fact that they're absolutely not going to do it.
    Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
    NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • Score: 64
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 03:17:17 PM »
    wow, an incredible bump, but yeah actuallly this is interesting. I'd ate Nintendo to ignore Gameboy games all together considering it was not only popular, it was what kept Nintendo afloat. I wouldn't mind playing the 1000s of games on virtual console. The GBA was like a new super Nintendo at the time. It got a lot of ports, but it also got a lot of original content.
    NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: -18986
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
    wow, an incredible bump, but yeah actuallly this is interesting. I'd ate Nintendo to ignore Gameboy games all together considering it was not only popular, it was what kept Nintendo afloat. I wouldn't mind playing the 1000s of games on virtual console. The GBA was like a new super Nintendo at the time. It got a lot of ports, but it also got a lot of original content.

I wasn't even thinking of that, but that's further evidence that they aren't going to do this. They'd much rather sell you the games all over again on the VC.
    Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
    NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent