Author Topic: The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port  (Read 45330 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: The Nintendo Game Boy Player vs. The Datel Advance Game Port
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
I would not mind seeing a 3DS vurtual console service with 3D enhanced GBA games like LoZ: The Minish Cap.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
Do you think it could handle a virtual console service with Saturn games?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
Do you think it could handle a virtual console service with Saturn games?

It would probably be equally difficult to emulate the Saturn for 3DS like it would be for the bigger consoles. It would be nice though, but I would prefer the handhelds to be emulated handhelds and the home consoles to do the same and keep them seperate.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »
I wasn't even thinking of that, but that's further evidence that they aren't going to do this. They'd much rather sell you the games all over again on the VC.

I would be happy if they were willing to do that, but last I heard Nintendo gave no indication it was going to sell any GB, GBC, or GBA games on VC.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Will the datel advance work for the wii's gamecube port?
Sort of.  I tried it when the Wii first came out, and the disc wouldn't boot directly, so I had to use an Action Replay (which has since been blocked).  The sound played too fast on the Wii, probably due to the faster clock, but the games played okay otherwise.

I can confirm this.  I've been tempted to get one of those Wii Freeloaders and try it with that, but I can't see dropping the money for a Wii Freeloader when Nintendo will just block it in the next update. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
i think Saturn emulation difficulty is over-exaggerated, i think it could easily be done, but why on 3ds? I would definitely want that for the next console though. Hopefully, the next console has a hard drive, or the option to plug in an external hard drive to make this more realistically possible. Its hard to say how much a TB HD will cost in November next year, but i bought mine for $99 in january
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
i think Saturn emulation difficulty is over-exaggerated, i think it could easily be done, but why on 3ds? I would definitely want that for the next console though. Hopefully, the next console has a hard drive, or the option to plug in an external hard drive to make this more realistically possible. Its hard to say how much a TB HD will cost in November next year, but i bought mine for $99 in january

BnM gave me an article a while back about how SEGA was interested in emulating the Saturn. They hinted that could be easier than one might think, but they can not emulate it in a tradition fashion.

As for a hard drive, a friend of mine bought a one TB external drive for $50.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »
It would be simpler to just port Saturn games to modern systems than to try and emulate it. The problem with that is that it would probably limit how many games they'd bring over.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »
I can confirm this.  I've been tempted to get one of those Wii Freeloaders and try it with that, but I can't see dropping the money for a Wii Freeloader when Nintendo will just block it in the next update. :(
I think the Wii Freeloader was blocked a while back, but of course there are homebrew methods of booting the disc.  I think I was also able to use the disc swap trick to boot it at one point.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
I think the Wii Freeloader was blocked a while back, but of course there are homebrew methods of booting the disc.  I think I was also able to use the disc swap trick to boot it at one point.

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/GCN-Freeloader---USA___EF000199.aspx
Compatibility with Nintendo Wii

Freeloader, Action Replay and SD Media Launcher have all been updated to be 100% compatible with the Wii running any firmware version. As the manufacturer we carry only the latest stock which is guaranteed to work with your Wii.

I trust you over Datel, but how current is your information regarding this?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
It's been a while since I've looked at their offerings-- they had given up back then after being blocked several times, and I don't think they updated their Codejunkies site immediately -- the notice looked the same as it does now.  I'm not sure what they are selling now, but I don't see how they could legally keep that up there if it didn't work.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »
It would be simpler to just port Saturn games to modern systems than to try and emulate it. The problem with that is that it would probably limit how many games they'd bring over.

it would be simpler to do that. Just modify an existing game engine to handle X Saturn games files and your done. I have a Saturn though, and to be honest there isn't much to revisit. I finally got my rare copy of Shining Force 3 for 3 dollars at  the swap meet, and I was disappointed because it had aged HORRIBLY. It sucks when a game gets on your must have list, then the game comes out, but is unavailable for wide release, becomes rare, and then 12 or so years after its release you finally get it to play it, and its totally meh.

Also, aside from Nights all the top games pretty much have a better Dreamcast successor. To remake those games one would have to take new features away and make the graphics shittier.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »

it would be simpler to do that. Just modify an existing game engine to handle X Saturn games files and your done. I have a Saturn though, and to be honest there isn't much to revisit. I finally got my rare copy of Shining Force 3 for 3 dollars at  the swap meet, and I was disappointed because it had aged HORRIBLY. It sucks when a game gets on your must have list, then the game comes out, but is unavailable for wide release, becomes rare, and then 12 or so years after its release you finally get it to play it, and its totally meh.

Also, aside from Nights all the top games pretty much have a better Dreamcast successor. To remake those games one would have to take new features away and make the graphics ****tier.

I mentioned that SEGA could emulate the Saturn by modifying a console to play Saurn games and passin it off as Saturn emulation. I recall some one saying that his would not work. In a sense, we would be cheated by SEGA, but atleast we would have Saturn games available or DLC. 

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »
I mentioned that SEGA could emulate the Saturn by modifying a console to play Saurn games and passin it off as Saturn emulation. I recall some one saying that his would not work. In a sense, we would be cheated by SEGA, but atleast we would have Saturn games available or DLC. 
What does that even mean?  You'd still have to emulate the hardware even if you allowed the console to load the disc (which already isn't possible since the Wii cannot read CDs).
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
there very definition of modifying a console to play another's games is what emulation is

the saturn has 2 28mhz processors, and 2 28 mhz graphhics processors, also it doesn't have much ram. If Saturn emulation is possible on an old pc than it is possible on my Wii.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:15:35 PM by ThePerm »

Offline dhowerter

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
The Game Boy Player is a godsend tho ;)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »
What does that even mean?  You'd still have to emulate the hardware even if you allowed the console to load the disc (which already isn't possible since the Wii cannot read CDs).

Really?  That seems weird.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »

Really?  That seems weird.

The wii seems to emulate Neo Geo and TG16 CD based games farely well, but they are smaller than Saturn games.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:14 PM »
its still emulation even if the Wii isn't reading discs and reading downloaded goods instead. Saturn discs are not the most common of medium, so its pretty pointless to make the system read their discs. If for instance wii could read dreamcast games than that would just be a huge security hole. Anyone who says piracy never hurt anybody doesn't know much about Dreamcast.