Author Topic: Rumored Nrev specs  (Read 37414 times)

RE:Rumored Nrev specs
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2005, 10:13:59 AM »
Besides Aries, Han, and Techtree comfirming those specs, the first one to actually do so was an asian site called Unika.com on (I believe) Monday May 9th.  Here's a link to another site posting an article in regards to it.  http://warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23404

Anyways, here's a new post from Han_Solo in responce to someone....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Spiza
If you did work for factor 5, wouldn't you be worried about a certain non-disclosure agreement you would have to have signed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Havent you read the asian media and news ? i wouldnt think so, as its slowly coming to western news. Some of the asian news was very wague in the hardware, but never the less, was exactly the same specs, as the specs form each developer has recieved from nintendo. I reckon its ok for me to release this amount of info (which is much more than what the asian countries have recieved). I still havent said what the revolutionary part is . I dont think i would ever say, as thats nintendo's presentation.

Also, tell the PlanetGamecube forums folks, that their G5 assumption is correct, only if nintendo added pure G5 cores into the console. I have released i havent made it clear for you guys, and your all understanding it differently. When i said...

CPU: Custom PowerPC 3.5 GHz + 4 internal PowerPC G5 cores, 2.5 GHz each

I meant that each of those 4 cores are not the actual cores of the G5 chip you see today. They are totally redone, and customized, but are mainly of the G5 architecture (its to do with making it more efficient, shorter pipelining with more pipes, etc). i think i made a mistake on my account, so im sorry for that. But at the time, i thought you guys would understand.

The first word "Custom" in my spec sheet, refers to all the components of the IBM CPU  

"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2005, 10:16:46 AM »
Why does everyone keep saying that they will use G5's in the Rev?  Do you really think Nintendo & IBM have been doing R&D for the last 4 years on a G5?  @ best is will be based off of the G5 architecture, similar to how Cell and the X360 cpu are based off the same tech but are very different chips, or how the Gecko is based off of the PPC970 but is very different in its own right.  

Will it be a stripped down G5?  doubt it, you strip down a chip when your low on time, Nin has had more than enough time to comeup with an entirely custom chip(based on G5 tech?) that is BC w/ the GC.

RE: Rumored Nrev specs
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »
blacknmild, that is exactly what I just posed Han_Solo saying.  He says its based off of the G5 architecture and he sees that everyone has assumed its the actualy G5's we have out today that everyone is thinking will be included.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline HereticPB

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2005, 10:33:23 AM »
Chinese site Unika.com. Good luck finding it though!

Edit:

Well looky what I found!

Unika Rev
Visit my sites
| Nintendo Centrum | NC Forums |

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Truthliesn1seyes
blacknmild, that is exactly what I just posed Han_Solo saying.  He says its based off of the G5 architecture and he sees that everyone has assumed its the actualy G5's we have out today that everyone is thinking will be included.

I meant to post that ever since yesterday, but didn't get around to it till just then, but you also posted that while I was in the middle of typing, spell checking and fact checking(sort of) my post.  

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2005, 11:57:50 AM »
Black, quick correction. The Gecko is based off of a G3, I think in the 600 series.

I had a hunch the next step would be the "custom" clarification. Promise I'm not going to be a broken record. I'll just say customizing a G5 for consoles would mean re-engineering it to a point where you couldn't really call it a G5 anymore.

While they're all lovingly called PPCs, their philosophies aren't in the same book. It's more realistic to start with the same core that Sony and MS used, and customize "up" from there (as opposed to "down" from a G5). Is it *possible* they'd strip a G5? Yeah, but not practical. IBM already has a discreet line of PPCs R&D'ed from the ground up specifically for console/set top box solutions.

Now if I'm off base, I'll gladly say I'm a retard and don't deserve to feed off of the jam between everybody's toes (I'll make it my signature).  I'm in no competition for relevance like some of the anonymous sources. I'd love for it to be a G5, "custom" or otherwise, because it would wipe the floor with the competition's CPUs. But there are enough things that make the idea lean towards "snowball's chance in Hell."
"wow."

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »
Those are some nice specs...
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2005, 05:17:52 PM »
noble , didnt you have some inside info on the rev?  You've been really quiet as of late.  Do you think those specs are spot on?  I don't require you to give any details but a simple yes or no would be fine.  Also, if you answer "no" are the specs you've heard any more or less better than that?

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2005, 08:00:39 PM »
They're pretty damn close, as far as I know.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »
I posted the Han_Solo specs over @ B3D forums to get some tech head insight and here is on of the replies

Teasy from B3D forums says:

I don't get that. Why would it have a 3.5Ghz CPU with four custom 2.5Ghz cores on the same chip?, sounds wierd to me. Not that it matters since the specs are obviously a fantasy. I mean, a 160 GFLOP CPU, dual 48 way shader GPU cores with 256MB ram per core and 16MB eDRAM, plus 512MB main ram and a ageia PPU with 32MB ram.. That's absolutely crazy.. That system would whipe the floor with XBox 360 and PS3 combined.

That is the same point that I brought up back on the 1st page, it seem wierd to have a cpu @ one speed and four cores @ a different speed.  

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2005, 11:09:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Noble~Feather
They're pretty damn close, as far as I know.

If I find out you're toying with our emotions, I won't like you very much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2005, 11:26:13 PM »
gamecube is a PowerPC 750 RISC with 50 new instructions according to wikipedia
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2005, 06:48:42 AM »
Yup, 750... one of my friends who fiddles with homebrew on the Cube says you can pretty much run unaltered G3 code on it.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2005, 02:03:34 PM »
also lets note....revolution is probably getting a similar gpu or better gpu than xbox 360....to me i dont think the processor is that important. I'm sure that it can handle alot of ai and all the data that has to move around the system. I don't think even if the other processors were more powerful that devlopers would be able to get the most out of them. So expect it to look good. From the mix of rumors and what i hear is that the processor for rev wont be a powerful but will still be a good processor.also i hear theres a ppu and a sound processor so with those sort of things that the processor doesnt have to do than you migth as well have a low power consumption processor.

its like nes vs the other systems that were out. t didnt have as powerful of a processor...but it had special features that let sprite managemewnt happen way more efficiently..so in essence it could do more.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2005, 06:37:49 PM »
A guy from NDL told me, "Regarding the Revolution specs posted, they are all in line enough with what we know about IBM and ATI that I can't say they are flat out fake. For example, the dynamically assigned shader units in the graphics card is a feature we've heard about with Xbox 360. It makes sense that ATI would reuse that in the Revolution chipset. They look much more powerful than I'd expect, however. Overall, I'd say those specs are a little high. It seems like everything and the kitchen sink is thrown in there which is odd for a company that has publically stated that it doesn't want any part of a technological arms race."
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »
I'm a lil slow right now but whats NDL? lol  

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2005, 06:32:36 AM »
More chips usually = harder to code for too. I'd just as soon they go the same route as the Cube: 1 CPU, 1 GPU... throw in a PPU if you really must.

All these modern systems are looking more and more like Atari Jaguars

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2005, 09:18:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Truthliesn1seyes
I'm a lil slow right now but whats NDL? lol

They do graphics kits or something like that.  One of the games that used their software was Elder Scrolls 3.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2005, 03:43:07 PM »
"Atari Jaguar"???  Oh, come on be nice.

If you really wanted to trash next-gen consoles, calling them
Saturn-like would be more appropriate.

Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline bmfrosty

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2005, 06:43:08 PM »
While all these specs are nice,  I'm of the opinion that Nintendo got it right with the Gamecube and are unlikely to make any changes.  I speculate that Broadway and Hollywood have been derived from the Gekko and Flipper designs, but will be created using a newer process (possibly strained silicon) and will run at higher clock speeds.  Ram sizes will be greatly increased, and a new type of video out will be added (probabally something that supports HDMI, DVI, and component).  I suggest that Nintendo will probabally make some policies for game standards requiring progressive output, both aspect ratios, and at least 1 HD resolution.  Remember, Nintendo doesn't have a habit of making a loss on hardware sales.

Throwaway made-up Revolution Specs:

3ghz Broadway processor
600Mhz Hollywood GPU
150Mhz Sound Core
256MB 1T-SRAM
192MB DDR SDRAM (running at 150mhz)

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2005, 04:11:10 AM »
BTW thinking that the CPU really isn't going to be that important is a major mistake. In all games these days the bottleneck is the CPU. These days the GPU can do so much but still has to wait for the CPU to tell it what to do next. You really do need a fast CPU to make the most of the GPU so that it isn't waiting too long and can get a decent frame rate.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2005, 07:28:17 AM »

Originally posted by: NoVisAnima
BTW thinking that the CPU really isn't going to be that important is a major mistake. In all games these days the bottleneck is the CPU. These days the GPU can do so much but still has to wait for the CPU to tell it what to do next. You really do need a fast CPU to make the most of the GPU so that it isn't waiting too long and can get a decent frame rate.

Tell that to my Powermac G3. I'm getting 1024x768 with over 100 Fps on a CPU that's functionally almost identical to the one of the gamecube.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2005, 03:45:11 AM »
Dude what in blazes are you running on it?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:20 AM »
GLQuake.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2005, 08:34:58 AM »