Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 412130 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #675 on: February 06, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Tecmo Koei announced today that the previously Wii U-exclusive Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge will be ported to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on April 2 as a retail and digital game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-coming-to-ps3-xbox-360-6403547?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 06, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
Odd, considering Nintendo funded its development.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #677 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
I wonder does this mean Nintendo will stop publishing the Wii U version of the game? Or will Nintendo continue doing it?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 06, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
^The biggest supporters of 3ds software have been by far Japanese, western developers are not taking the system too seriously perse.

Western devs never really take handhelds too seriously though.  Quick, name some classic GB, GBC, GBA, DS or 3DS titles that are NOT Japanese.  I can think of that DS GTA game no one bought and jack **** else.

True, but with the recent indie rise, they could take more advantage of the eShop.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 06, 2013, 06:30:36 PM »
Tecmo Koei announced today that the previously Wii U-exclusive Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge will be ported to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on April 2 as a retail and digital game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-coming-to-ps3-xbox-360-6403547?

I didn't see anything about the price.. if it's cheaper than I won't bother picking up the game (and I really wanted to) for Wii U, unless the price goes down to match the PS/360 versions.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
Time for another previously Nintendo-exclusive port to fail at the sales! Come on DeBlob! Come on UDraw! Come on No More Heroes!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
How well is Zombi U doing?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »
Yeesh, with this, and the "interesting" news coming tomorrow, I don't think we need any conspiracy theory. It doesn't make business sense, but most developers have no respect for Nintendo anymore. They had already dismissed them in the GameCube era, and were forced to suffer their resurgence for a few years with the Wii, but that time is over.

So many actual employees of major studios and most of the mainstream gaming press barely bother to hide their contempt. In this kind of atmosphere I don't know what Nintendo could do to turn around their perception problem. I guess another question is, if Nintendo had released an Orbis/Durango tech competitor instead of the WiiU, would they be getting substantially more support from major western studios and the gaming press?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 06, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
I guess another question is, if Nintendo had released an Orbis/Durango tech competitor instead of the WiiU, would they be getting substantially more support from major western studios and the gaming press?
Honestly, probably not. I don't want to get too far into why because my previous few posts in this topic cover that. It's not some conspiracy. It's that no 3rd party will admit their real reasons for not supporting Wii U which is understandable due to the potential backlash they may receive, but no less frustrating as a Wii U owner.

I'm a PS3 owner as well so I have access to most of these games so this isn't sour grapes. It's insulting and silly to me as a rational person because it really doesn't make sense. I think one component is the fear that their games will underperform on Wii U. That's inherently flawed because performance of a past console doesn't dictate performance of a new one. The audience they're afraid only buys Nintendo games has changed as well; it's older. For example, I'm clearly not 12 like I was when N64 launched anymore. My mommy doesn't buy me games. I buy my own games whenever I damn well feel like it. If it's good, you can have my money. It's that simple. There are over 3 millions Wii U consoles sold and a middle finger given to each one of them. Not every one of them will buy each game, but there's an audience there and a chunk of them would love to buy 3rd party titles.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 06, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
So many actual employees of major studios and most of the mainstream gaming press barely bother to hide their contempt. In this kind of atmosphere I don't know what Nintendo could do to turn around their perception problem.
There are over 3 millions Wii U consoles sold and a middle finger given to each one of them. Not every one of them will buy each game, but there's an audience there and a chunk of them would love to buy 3rd party titles.
This kind of thing almost makes me want for new gaming crash to happen.

Childish and fanboyish, i know (dreamcast fans probably felt the same). But if that happens i will be there smiling with my popcorn.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 07, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »
So many actual employees of major studios and most of the mainstream gaming press barely bother to hide their contempt. In this kind of atmosphere I don't know what Nintendo could do to turn around their perception problem.

This kind of thing almost makes me want for new gaming crash to happen.

Childish and fanboyish, i know (dreamcast fans probably felt the same). But if that happens i will be there smiling with my popcorn.

Yeah but the difference with Sega and Nintendo is that Nintendo has the ability to survive on their own without much third party support because of their franchises. Plus if they are smart with the money they made with the Wii they can acquire new studious a pump out even more games than they did with the Gamecube and Wii, and most importantly Japan's support.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #686 on: February 07, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »
Well, Nintendo did this to themselves back during the Nintendo 64, they credited the bad blood, and execs are lazy towards truly understanding the market. 

I hope Nintendo has huge amount of success on their system...but I do kinda hope for a huge shake up in the industry...it really needs to happen.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 07, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
^I agree, this industry badly needs a shake up, especially if the development cost keep growing exponentially as they did with the current Gen. I mean now days a AAA game costs up to 15 to 30 million dollars to create. We have seen small studios and big name companies go down the well because of the unsustainable production costs that only monopolistic companies such as EA and Activision can afford.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 07, 2013, 12:56:07 AM »
It should be an interesting next couple of years to watch how the industry progreses. Regardless of what kind of support Nintendo gets, I'm interested to see how the industry politics play out over the next few years.

J.P. Corbran

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:50 AM »
It should be an interesting next couple of years to watch how the industry progreses. Regardless of what kind of support Nintendo gets, I'm interested to see how the industry politics play out over the next few years.

Also the Indie movement with the introduction of consoles such as Ouya will be interesting to watch.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 07, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
"I mean now days a AAA game costs up to 15 to 30 million dollars to create. We have seen small studios and big name companies go down the well '

But you also see new companies exceed as well--Techland, Rocksteady, even Irrational Games found success.  The video game industry is a very cut throat business but the HD era didn't make it this way--it's always been this way.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #691 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »

Also the Indie movement with the introduction of consoles such as Ouya will be interesting to watch.
I think it'd be absolutely hilarious if the only console survivors are Nintendo's and the Ouya. HD TWIN POWERS...ACTI - FAIL.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 07, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »
"I mean now days a AAA game costs up to 15 to 30 million dollars to create. We have seen small studios and big name companies go down the well '

But you also see new companies exceed as well--Techland, Rocksteady, even Irrational Games found success.  The video game industry is a very cut throat business but the HD era didn't make it this way--it's always been this way.

The HD era raised the stakes. You can still succeed, if you're really good and really lucky, but anything between a top tier AAA blockbuster and a sub-$15 download-only game is going to face trouble. It may have always been a dangerous business, but it's most certainly more dangerous now than it was 10 years ago, largely because of the increased development costs HD graphics involve.

J.P. Corbran

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 07, 2013, 11:41:37 AM »

They all had big name publishers attached to their products, on their own is either success or bust.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 07, 2013, 12:30:46 PM »
One thing that probably clouds my judgement is that my first exposure to Nintendo was the NES and SNES eras, so that's what I see as the "real" Nintendo.  They're the kings of videogames that have slipped up in recent time.  That made some sense in the N64 era since the SNES years were not so far away but now?  Whole generations have grown up associating Nintendo consoles as that thing you buy for Nintendo franchises and nothing else.  It's been that way longer.  Since that's what a lot of gamers think of Nintendo as, I can see developers thinking the same thing.  It's like how Apple is seen today vs. how they were seen during the Apple II era.

Some of the older devs are probably remembering how Nintendo treated them pre-N64 but the younger ones might just think "release my game on a Nintendo console?  I thought those were just for Nintendo games."  Hell, who but the diehard Nintendo nut even buys a Nintendo console as their SOLE system anymore?  On the Wii it was almost expected that you buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 to cover the third party stuff.  So why bring a third party game to the Wii U, if the assumption is that the target market for that game will only own a Wii U as a second console for Nintendo games and will buy everything else on their "main" console?

Plus Nintendo is rather notorious for screwing up really routine stuff and it's a huge annoyance for us gamers.  I can't imagine a company that gets that sort of simple stuff wrong would not also make similar mistakes with dev kits and third party licencing agreements and stuff like that.  As a consumer I put up with their dumb bullshit only because the game quality was so high.  Without that incentive I see no reason to bother with them because they suck at pretty much everything else.  What does Nintendo offer third parties to make them put up with what I'm certain is a big pile of their bullshit?  All those little Nintendo screw-ups chip away at you and you need something bigger to make it worthwhile.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 07, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »
Plus Nintendo is rather notorious for screwing up really routine stuff and it's a huge annoyance for us gamers.  I can't imagine a company that gets that sort of simple stuff wrong would not also make similar mistakes with dev kits and third party licencing agreements and stuff like that.  As a consumer I put up with their dumb bullshit only because the game quality was so high.  Without that incentive I see no reason to bother with them because they suck at pretty much everything else.  What does Nintendo offer third parties to make them put up with what I'm certain is a big pile of their bullshit?  All those little Nintendo screw-ups chip away at you and you need something bigger to make it worthwhile.
You know what's real bullshit, Ian. The above string of grossly over-generalized negative remarks that I have bolded above. You say crap and provide nothing, not a shred, to back it up.
Worst of the worst of the complainer Nintendo fanboys.
I mean, what the hell are you even talking about? It's all hyperbole.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »
I think there should be a rule that if you make a claim on NWR, you should have to cite it MLA style.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
I think there should be a rule that if you make a claim on NWR, you should have to cite it MLA style.
Now you're talkin'!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
Oh for ****'s sake.  You want me to list the numerous goofy ass weird **** Nintendo has done over the last 15 years?  This is the company of friend codes and that had this nutty and impractical method of transfering data to and from SD cards.  It's the company that still has not quite grasped the concept of tying downloaded games to user accounts instead of physical hardware and has to manually update EVERY SINGLE VC TITLE to use off-screen play because they didn't seperate the emulator from the game.

Nintendo has a history of weird little goofy ass ways of doing things.  This isn't something I'm pulling out of my ass.  It's an established reputation that most Nintendo fans recognize (and are often just willing to deal with).  So, yeah, the company that gets these little things wrong on the consumer side probably makes similar mistakes on the development side.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »
Oh for ****'s sake.  You want me to list the numerous goofy ass weird **** Nintendo has done over the last 15 years?  This is the company of friend codes and that had this nutty and impractical method of transfering data to and from SD cards.  It's the company that still has not quite grasped the concept of tying downloaded games to user accounts instead of physical hardware and has to manually update EVERY SINGLE VC TITLE to use off-screen play because they didn't seperate the emulator from the game.

Nintendo has a history of weird little goofy ass ways of doing things.  This isn't something I'm pulling out of my ass.  It's an established reputation that most Nintendo fans recognize (and are often just willing to deal with).  So, yeah, the company that gets these little things wrong on the consumer side probably makes similar mistakes on the development side.

Their biggest screw up u til now i think was the idea of choosing cart based format over cds on the n64' i mean am a big nintendo fan but from there on its being a downhill battle with third party companies.