Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 456756 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #650 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »
Marth announced

No surprise here, but hey, we get new screenshots. (Too lazy to post each screenshot)

I still hope they change the title of these games. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things; the titles are just very plain.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #651 on: November 07, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
I take it like this...

The "for" in the title is just that - it's as if you're saying "four." So, just insert a "4" in its place. Tada!

Super Smash Bros. 4 (Wii U) and Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS)

Because that's what it is.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 07, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
Heaven forbid we have a Smash Bros. game without the same damn Fire Emblem character, because there are certainly no other characters in history of Fire Emblem with a fencing-type moveset.  ::) If Sakurai follows tradition, we'll probably eventually find out Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening's in the rotating Roy/Ike slot.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 07, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
How about a Fire Emblem character that uses a different weapon? Hecotr used an Axe and Ephraim used a Spear.

Or to make a really interesting twist, make it the 'Tactician' personal avatar character. Let gamers import their character from the 3DS game akin to your character in Mario Tennis. Making a sword/magic combo would be a much more unique and interesting choice.

Sometimes I think Nintendo should create their own hardcore fighting game similar to Soul Calibur. They have enough 'core' characters to pull it off.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
Heaven forbid we have a Smash Bros. game without the same damn Fire Emblem character, because there are certainly no other characters in history of Fire Emblem with a fencing-type moveset.  ::) If Sakurai follows tradition, we'll probably eventually find out Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening's in the rotating Roy/Ike slot.

Oh yes, Sakurai was going to remove the most popular Fire Emblem character who's the icon of the entire series in Japan, you know, the country Fire Emblem games are most popular in.  The same character who had both his games remade for the DS last gen, making him the star of 4 out of the 13 Fire Emblem games, more then any other Fire Emblem character by far.  Oh yes, that would make so much sense.  ::)

Might as well complain that Pikachu is still playable even though there's a ton of other electric type Pokemon around. Marth is a permanent character who will continue to be in every Smash Bros because he is Fire Emblem, just like Pikachu is Pokemon.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #655 on: November 07, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »
Besides that…Marth is popular in SMASH BROS.  I mean it would be like dropping Ken from Street Fighter 4, because you could use another character from the universe that plays exactly the same.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 07, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
I still hope they change the title of these games. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things; the titles are just very plain.
Hm, would you prefer one of these?

Super Smash Bros. U
NEW Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. DX
Super Smash HD Bros.
Smashed Super Bros.
Tales of Smash Bros.
NEW Nintendo All-Star! Great Melee Super Smash HD Bros. DX

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 08, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »
None of the above. Nintendo All-Stars Battle Royale.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 08, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Smashed Super Bros.
This. Oh please this.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 08, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »
None of the above. Nintendo All-Stars Battle Royale.
D'oh, how could I forget that one? And of course, there's also "Mario & All-Stars Fighting Transformed."

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #660 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »
Nintendo Fighting
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 09, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
Fox Mcloud in: Final Destination

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 21, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
Here's the best title of them all:

Mario Bros. Smash Peach: Tag Team Fisting
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
Nintendo has in the past two Smash Bros. games included a comedy/novelty character. In Melee it was Mr. Game & Watch; in Brawl it was R.O.B. Anyone have any guesses for who it might be in this one? My pick, a longshot but a great pick: Fred Savage.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
Nintendo has in the past two Smash Bros. games included a comedy/novelty character. In Melee it was Mr. Game & Watch; in Brawl it was R.O.B. Anyone have any guesses for who it might be in this one? My pick, a longshot but a great pick: Fred Savage.
Wii fit trainer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
Yeah, I guess that could fit the bill. Still, a guy can dream.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 28, 2013, 02:07:40 AM »
I don't think Wii Fit Trainer is the novelty character. She was unveiled with Villager and Mega Man. She's also from a fairly new series. That contrasts both Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. both of which are older characters and among the last to be unlocked/revealed.

I'd suggest Sheriff except he uses a gun and Sakurai has been adamant about not including that. He doesn't really do much except move and shoot. Since he's such a simple character, there isn't much room to get creative and invent a moveset. I also feel like he might been too reminiscent of Mr. Game and Watch as I'd imagine he'd be 2D and have limited animation.

If you follow the pattern of novelty characters, Game and Watch originated in 1980 (according to Wikipedia) and R.O.B. Was released in 1985. Perhaps the next novelty character will have debuted after R.O.B. Mach Rider was released a few months after R.O.B. If you want to take it a step further, Startropics was released in 1990. That would mean the novelty characters in each Super Smash Bros. game debuted in 1980, 1985, and 1990. My pick is Mike Jones from Startropics. I don't believe this is the first I've suggested him.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:10:52 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 28, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »
I don't think either of those examples would really be a novelty character. I'd see them more along the lines of the Ice Climbers, where they're mostly just really obscure.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 28, 2013, 03:24:40 AM »
It's difficult to think of a whole new obscure property they could drop in. Play as a Virtual Boy? Gameboy Printer? As was mentioned stuff like Mach Rider, Star Tropics, Takamura, Pushmo, or Chibi Robo are just low-profile as opposed to oddball.

If they want to go for weird/annoying they could go for Tingle or Waluigi, but I doubt they'd use more characters from those franchises.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 28, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
I don't think either of those examples would really be a novelty character. I'd see them more along the lines of the Ice Climbers, where they're mostly just really obscure.
I lumped Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. together mainly due to age and obscurity. No one really thought they were going to be added to the roster. The same can be said of Wii Fit Trainer, but she's newer and well-known. How are you defining novel in terms of potential candidates and the two aforementioned characters? Many characters in Super Smash Bros. can be considered novel. For example, Zelda can transform and there are two Ice Climbers who are severely handicapped when separated or if Nana is knocked out. The Ice Climbers are novel and obscure. Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. are both unique in their releases. Mr. Game and Watch hadn't appeared on a traditional Nintendo handheld or console (until the Gallery series). Besides cameos, R.O.B. was only featured in two NES games.

StarTropics has never been released in Japan. There aren't a lot of Nintendo games that can be said about. I don't think StarTropics was ever even mentioned in the trophies either. I'm not suggesting him out of fandom as I may have played the game a few times at most.

They're not that old and their obscurity can be debated, but the Elite Beat Agents can be considered novel.
It's difficult to think of a whole new obscure property they could drop in. Play as a Virtual Boy? Gameboy Printer? As was mentioned stuff like Mach Rider, Star Tropics, Takamura, Pushmo, or Chibi Robo are just low-profile as opposed to oddball.
After Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B., I'm having a hard time thinking of characters in the same vein that work naturally, but there are no set rules to this. Neither Mr. Game and Watch nor R.O.B. fit into an easily defined category. For the purposes of this discussion, we're defining their common traits. The traits I've been using are: they're old, they were mostly forgotten, and they had unique releases.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 29, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »

I like to call those guys WTF characters. While not retro or seemingly long forgotten I think Wii Fit Trainer fits the bill really well. Just for that shock value of "can that really be a character?"

Sheriff seems like someone who could fit that status if he stays pixelated with a pixelated gun of course. Though not as important to Nintendo's history, there is one obscure character that Sakurai admitted he considered for Melee but then thought he was too obscure, that was Sukapon. The pink, Vector Man like robot from Joy Mech Fight, Japan only I believe but it was Nintendo's first fighting game.

I want him in so bad but I honestly think Ridley has better chances.

Ridley, Dixie, Little Mac, Sukapon... One day...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #671 on: November 29, 2013, 07:11:14 PM »
I don't see how the Wii Fit trainer isn't the WTF character. She was completely unexpected. Just about all the reactions from the E3 reveal were, "WTF? HER?". The only other character to top her would be Professor Layton.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 30, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
I think the answer here is obvious: Balloon Fighter. For some reason, Nintendo loves Balloon Fight, so I'm sure they really want that character in the game. The unlock message will probably even have a link to the eShop where you can buy Balloon Fight, or if you already have the game downloaded then he'll be available from the start.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
I think a big part of Nintendo's love of Balloon Fight is I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Iwata was involved in its development.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 01, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
Yeah, I recall hearing that too. And if Iwata wants Balloon Fighter in Smash Brothers, none would dare defy him.