Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 457907 times)

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #700 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
I know most folks didn't dig SSE but I hope there is some sort of single-player aspect. It would greatly increase the overall value of the game for me.

Sakurai already said back at E3 the game would still have a single player mode, it just wouldn't be a story driven thing like The Subspace Emissary.  So there could still be a pretty good sized Adventure mode in the game, it just isn't going to have a story with lots of cut-scenes like The Subspace Emissary did.
yay
you saved Christmas
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 21, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »
Wasn't a comment like that already made before? Seems like something I've heard before.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 21, 2014, 11:30:48 PM »
I thought the cutscenes in Subspace Emmisary were pretty entertaining.  I never finished the entire thing but I got most of the way through and found it very enjoyable.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #703 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »
The Cut Scenes were awesome.  What was bad was the horrible enemy design, and level design.  I never felt like the levels were truly crafted for individual characters, and I thought the enemies were horrible, and combat was boring.

It felt very generic and very NON-Nintendo. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »
The Subspace Emissary was designed in such a way that every character could make it through each stage. That combined with also being designed for multiplayer made Brawl's adventure mode feel like a copy of a copy of a generic level design.

Remember that ridiculous final jump in Samus' Board The Platforms on N64? Most of the characters couldn't make that jump and even Samus could just barely. The bonus stage was built around Samus' abilities. If an adventure mode is to work, it'd be best if every character had their own set of like five or six stages with regular free-for-all stages in between. That would be ideal though it's a **** ton of work and would likely only work single-player.

Otherwise, maybe if only certain characters could run through certain stages and play off their strengths. Kirby, King Dedede, and Pit have multiple jumps and are assigned a stage only they can get though, but Dedede is heavy, so he and Bowser are assigned a different stage that Kirby and Pit aren't. All the stages could be franchise mash-ups such as bits of Hyrule colliding with the Mushroom Kingdom. And multiplayer could work here since they would be designed around specific abilities and attributes rather than a character.

Also, every enemy should be an Assist Trophy so no more lame, forgettable, and generic foes. That also means there should be tons of them and some of them have to be a bit more sophisticated instead of being glorified Pokemon. They can be attacked and thrown. They can block, dodge, jump and grab ledges. On top of that, some should have more than one attack. Maybe you'll run into Ashley more than once. Work it into the story which still doesn't need (and preferably doesn't have) long cutscenes.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #705 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:40 AM »
I loved the original 1 player mode and Melee's Adventure mode.  Where it had generic battles with a twist.

I do think that certain franchises work best with a simple level based in its world with its enemies…and then if there is a game franchise that the world doesn't work with a special level make it a battle royal.

For example:  Punch Out could be a battle royal against L'l Mac and L'l Mac clones that other Boxers.  You could even have it designed where NO SPECIAL moves are available.

I really wanted more levels inside the various universes of the series.  Having enemies that we recognize is important. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »
These popped up a few days ago. Apparently, they're legit as Sakurai hasn't done damage control on the leaks like he normally does. We'll see, I guess.

Anyway, I am really excited about the changes to edge-hogging. Granted, I used that a lot in the original, but countering it was something I always advocated.

The new Kid Icarus stage is looking interesting and we can cross Viridi from the playable character list, not that I pegged her as especially likely.

And the Spirit Tracks stage removes Link as the conductor (to be replaced by Alfonzo) when Toon Link is present. Nice attention to detail.

This is shaping up to be the best Super Smash Bros. yet (I still consider them to be two parts of the same game). I need to manage my expectations though since I felt the same way about Brawl before I actually played it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 24, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
Honestly I be surprised if she wasn't a character.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 24, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
Yeah even if the current pics are fake, Palutena is still pretty much guaranteed to be playable anyway.  She meets all of Sakurai's requirements for characters to be playable and has been the most requested Kid Icarus character by far.

Hell if the picture is real I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai leaked it himself considering the Kid Icarus stage with Viridi was shown the next day.  Trolling people like that is something I can 100% see Sakurai doing.  And then next week we'll get a Nintendo Direct on Wednesday before Nintendo reveals their Q3 results with everyone expecting Palutena to be revealed and then a completely different newcomer like Little Mac is revealed instead.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 24, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
Yeah even if the current pics are fake, Palutena is still pretty much guaranteed to be playable anyway.  She meets all of Sakurai's requirements for characters to be playable and has been the most requested Kid Icarus character by far.

Hell if the picture is real I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai leaked it himself considering the Kid Icarus stage with Viridi was shown the next day.  Trolling people like that is something I can 100% see Sakurai doing.  And then next week we'll get a Nintendo Direct on Wednesday before Nintendo reveals their Q3 results with everyone expecting Palutena to be revealed and then a completely different newcomer like Little Mac is revealed instead.

Exactly!

I'm really looking forward to these new ledge mechanics, hopefully edge hogging can't be abused this time around.

Also removing conductor Link when Toon Link is playable is a nice touch of detail. Sakurai cryptically hinted at Ridley without using his name directly. Yeah it sounds like a stage hazard but I've always held on to the fact that an Other M stage hazard Ridley could be completely different from a possible playable Brawl/Super Metroid Ridley since one is a clone of the other. Keep hope alive!

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »
Lucario announced. Someone here might be mildly happy about this.

Honestly, I never got the hang of Lucario. I'm glad he's back though. Ideally, I want every character to return, even though I wouldn't mind if some didn't.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »
I wonder why they did, honestly. I figure they would have brought a Gen 5/6 Pokemon in to replace him.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
At this point, Lucario has basically become the second mascot of Pokemon right behind Pikachu because of how insanely popular he's become with the fanbase.  They tried to replicate his success with Zoroark for Gen 5 but that Pokemon failed to catch on and never became as popular.  This is one of the reasons why for Gen 6, Lucario played a major role again not only with his new Mega form but even had an important storyline role in the game as well.  This is the same reason Mewtwo is more then likely coming back in this Smash Bros as well since he's always been a pretty popular Pokemon and they made him very important in the newest gen again as well. 

I mean really now, this was official artwork Nintendo released to hype up X/Y.

This was the point where Mewtwo and Lucario were pretty much confirmed to both be in the newest Smash Bros.  You don't just take two of the most popular Pokemon that have both been in Smash Bros, and then give them new forms and make them important to the newest game in the series again, and not have them return.

And before anyone says that's their Mega forms but Lucario is normal in the screen shots, the Mega evolutions are more then likely Mewtwo and Lucario's Final Smash attacks in this game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #713 on: January 31, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »
Yeah, they've been pushing Mewtwo a lot lately.  I'd be shocked if he wasn't back.  I mean, he got two forms in Gen 6, had new movie, and was featured in Pokemon Origins.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 01, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »
If they're going to bring back Mewtwo then I wonder if they'll still add a new Pokémon. That's already a lot of Pokémon before even getting to someone new...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 01, 2014, 07:04:45 PM »
Jigglypuff, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario...and Pichu? Maybe they will go back and add in Pichu as well. Or rebrand him as Pulsum and Minum and make them a type of Pikachu/Ice Climbers hybrid. That would at least make the character fresh.

They could have the Pokemon trainer actually fight. Use the tools like the fishing rod, bike and throw pokeballs as weapons or to call different monsters for each individual move. Now that would be a surprise entry.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:06:23 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 01, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
I thought the Pokémon Trainer was confirmed to be back with the same three Monz, but maybe not.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 01, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »
Sorry if this was covered in this thread: With Nintendo moving to expand the NFC of the GamePad, would it make sense for Smash 4 to include some sorta trophy battle mode.  A deck of cards that you can battle with or even the trophy in the games you can but in the store. I know in the past I attempted to collect all the playable fighters in Brawl as trophies (I was missing like half and quit).

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #718 on: February 01, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
Pokemon Trainer isn't on the site, so I don't think he's been announced.  I'm not sure who the "it" Pokemon is this gen who could make a good Smash Bros character, so I think that the roster might not see any new ones.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
Sorry if this was covered in this thread: With Nintendo moving to expand the NFC of the GamePad, would it make sense for Smash 4 to include some sorta trophy battle mode.  A deck of cards that you can battle with or even the trophy in the games you can but in the store. I know in the past I attempted to collect all the playable fighters in Brawl as trophies (I was missing like half and quit).

Would be nice to get something like that but I won't hold my breath. How about using the AR functionality of the 3DS to view your trophies or even animate them? Maybe even at a trading element with the trophies (and stickers if those return). Streetpass to trade extras you select and hope for good ones in return.
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »
Pokemon Trainer isn't on the site, so I don't think he's been announced.  I'm not sure who the "it" Pokemon is this gen who could make a good Smash Bros character, so I think that the roster might not see any new ones.

Based on the number of spitbacks I get from Wonder Trade, it'd be Aegislash. But a possessed sword/shield combo does not a fighting game character make... Honestly, the closest we'll get as far as XY-era Pokemon is any Pokemon that can Mega Evolve doing so (Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario).

Hrm... MegaZard X on 3DS and Y on WiiU? Might be crazy enough to work.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #721 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
It'd be a cool subtlety between the games if Charizard's final smashes were based on that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »
You could do that for all of the Pokemon. Even make the starters that Pokemon Trainer has be different from version to version.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
I suspect Ridley will at the very least an assist trophy this time.

And frankly if the assist trophy characters get buffed so that each one is actually somewhat complex compared to your average pokemon I will be very happy.

For example the lakitu is joined with a pair of hammer bros to give you some fun while the metroid has a few space pirates going after it like in prime.

Heck give the koopalings an assist trophy where a few show up with their abilities based on the stage(wendy would appear in stages with more enclosed areas like the temple where her rings can have a chance to shine while lemmy would appear in more open stages.)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #724 on: February 02, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
You could do that for all of the Pokemon. Even make the starters that Pokemon Trainer has be different from version to version.

I dunno, you'd still need for Pokemon Trainer to have at least similar Pokemon.  Switching up the final smashes works for Mewtwo and Charizard, since they both have two.