Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 422423 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #625 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:08 AM »
I'm all scrolling back farther and farther going "What trailer is everyone talking about? Where's the link for it?" and finally found it on the previous page. Now I can see why it really is awesome. Looks like a lot of fun.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 31, 2010, 03:57:23 AM »
You don't look at the main page?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 31, 2010, 04:02:28 AM »
Rarely. My browser shortcut takes me directly to the forums. I do get the RSS feed on my iGoogle home page but sometimes I leave the browser open on the forums when I leave to do something. Most of the time I learn of NWR news through the forum by checking the Talkback section but that's normally at the end after I've checked all of the threads I've posted in before.

But it was more I clicked on this thread and all of the posts on this page were talking about the trailer and I was searching on this page looking for said trailer before I realized I was too far ahead in the thread.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 31, 2010, 04:03:29 AM »
Still waiting for any information on the actual progression.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 31, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
The game looks absolutely awesome, but I think it would be a lot better to let you play with the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo. It would make the transition to 1st person part a lot easier...as well as actually controlling Samus. Oh, and the D-Pad on the Wiimote is tiny...and the 1 and 2 buttons. Seriously, I can't believe that (so far) it's not even an option. Makes absolutely no sense.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
That was my only complaint with NSMBWii. The wiimote was just too small (never even tried to see if I could play with the wiichuck) and I ended up hooking up the M+ to make it bigger and more comfortable. I even took Pro's advice and played with the WiiWheel attached so that I had something to grip.

by looks of the gameplay in this game, the wiichuck option would be ideal and more comfortable.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #631 on: March 31, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »
Sounds like some people need to invest in a Classic Controller.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
I'm not worried about the controls, one of the things that you can usually count on in main Nintendo franchises is solid controls.

Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast
Kirby's Air Ride
WiiSports Boxing

HAR HAR HAR

I said main Nintendo franchises, as in core games. Not spin offs or one game in a compilation pack.

You mean like Metroid: Other M? 

:D
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »

That is too small too. I'm not 12 anymore, my hands cramp when using that thing for extended periods of time.
I'm hoping the CCPro works out better since it has handles to grip.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 31, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »

Except the Classic Controller isn't compatible with NSMB Wii or Metroid Other M, so that doesn't help much for those games.

Personally, I have no problems with the small D-Pad on the Wii Remote--in fact, I tend to use it even on games that support the Classic Controller (e.g. Cave Story, TG-16 games, etc.).  But I can see how some people would want a better option and I sympathize.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 31, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Do we need to make wii motes 93% bigger?  Iwata is asking.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 31, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
Was someone complaining about the enemies not doing anything? Those easy to kill flying things looked like they were bursting out at Samus and she just barely missed them as they dove in.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
People are giving it too much thought about how easy are the enemies when super metroid was practically the same. Except for bosses, tunnels and corridors were about monsters lined up right in front of your cannon. I wouldn't give the autoaim to much importance, if the difficulty really is affected by the autoaim they will step it up somehow, be it more monsters or monsters that break your auto aim, I don't know. All I know is that this is Team Ninja + Sakamoto in case you are forgetting, Ninja Gaiden and the 2D metroids aren't known for how easy they were.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 31, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
All I know is that this is Team Ninja + Sakamoto in case you are forgetting, Ninja Gaiden and the 2D metroids aren't known for how easy they were.

See this is more what I'm afraid of.  To me Metroid is an exploration game.  It's a brain game first, reflex game second.  This is why lock-on with Metroid Prime not only didn't bother me but I preferred it.  Shooting the **** out of stuff isn't the point.  This is the same thing.  I don't care if you just blast through the regular enemies.  Metroid should not be an action game (like it shouldn't be an FPS).

I get the feeling that what I like about Metroid and what others like are quite different.  For me the anticipation for this game is that I can't wait to explore the new world.  With others I think the anticipation is in shooting the crap out of aliens.  To me that's not really what Metroid is about and if that's what you look for, then you probably would be better suited with one of the numerous other videogames that focus on shooting the crap out of aliens.  Though we will have to wait and see what this turns out to be.

If the first Metroid was just an action game it would never have created the franchise it has.  Other action-focused NES games like Mega Man and Castlevania just owned it.  What made Metroid special was that it was this one big world you had to navigate through.  That's the big hook of Metroid.  If you played it for action I argue you were wasting your time because better action titles were available.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 31, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »
I can't help but agree with Ian on this. If you are concentrating on the fact that Samus auto aims, then you aren't looking at the bigger picture.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 31, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
I agree, however the action is still pretty spectacular. Metroid is the perfect combination of exploration and combat, is not Myst, but it isn't Contra either, and somehow marries both concepts extremely well, thats what metroid is for me. I see no indication that Other M is not going to be anything but that X 1000000, too bad about the cutscenes but the rest looks god damn awesome.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm a little turbulent about the cutscenes as well, but one of the best things about Metroid is how it has changed over the years.

Who knows? Maybe Samus telling her story will be exciting and interesting.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #642 on: March 31, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

I said main Nintendo franchises, as in core games. Not spin offs or one game in a compilation pack.

You mean like Metroid: Other M? 

:D

How is Metroid: Other M a spin off? It's a core Metroid title. A spin off would be, like, Metroid Prime Pinball.

Also, I didn't realize that the CC didn't work with NSMBWii, sorry. I find that a tad shocking. The CC should work with every game that uses the sideways Wiimote configuration.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #643 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »
Who knows? Maybe Samus telling her story will be exciting and interesting.
At this rate her storytelling scenes will resemble Sylvia's peep show from NMH2. If only!
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:09 PM »
NSMB Wii used the motion, the classic controller could have mapped it to another button but what's the fun in that?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 01, 2010, 04:10:51 AM »
NSMB Wii used the motion, the classic controller could have mapped it to another button but what's the fun in that?

How would that have worked though for the levels that involved tilting the controller?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 01, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
mapping another button and using the d-pad.

but again, what would be the fun in that?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »
How would that have worked though for the levels that involved tilting the controller?

L & R would work well.  The platforms didn't have 1:1 tilt precision.  They moved between fixed points like a clock.  I really wish Nintendo would make that sort of stuff an option.  Why can't I just play the game with the classic controller if I want to?  NSMB Wii does NOT need the remote.  It's just mapping digital button presses to gestures.  If people think that makes it more fun they can play it that way but let those of us who want precision controls have the option.  It probably would have taken a day of coding to provide that option.  Same with Warioland where shaking the controller was no different than just rapiding pushing a button and you aimed cannons in the same "fixed points" way like NSMB had.

This, having the pointer, would not be able to just map to the classic controller.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 01, 2010, 01:01:07 PM »
What should have happened is Nintendo should have put 4 buttons(1, 2, X, Y) at the bottom of the Wiimote and included a Classic Controller Pro shell (with handles) that has a pass through port to add the four shoulder buttons and analog sticks.

This allows all the functionality of both with out having to dangle one from the other. You'd still be able to point out through the side like when using the WiiWheel, you'd still have all the buttons of a regular controller, you'd still have all the tilt sensoring and still be 100% wireless with nothing dangling.

maybe this is the wrong thread to talk about something like this.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 02, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
So, I'm reading the about Other M in the latest issue of Nintendo Power and it got me interested in the Metroid Timeline. This is what it seems to be according to other sites online:
    * Metroid: Zero Mission (Game Boy Advance)
    * Metroid (NES)
    * Metroid Prime (GameCube) / Metroid Prime Pinball (Nintendo DS)
    * Metroid Prime Hunters (Nintendo DS)
    * Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GameCube)
    * Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo Wii)
    * Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy)
    * Super Metroid (Super Nintendo)
    * Metroid: Other M (Nintendo Wii)
    * Metroid Fusion (Game Boy Advance)

Is that right? Also, why does the federation create another Mother Brain in Prime 3 if Samus fought one once before?