Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 422873 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #675 on: July 14, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
Does it look like she bounces back a tad bit like previous 2D Metroid games when she gets hit?  I haven't had a chance to view this video yet since I'm at work right now... :P

Actually yes, just like one would hope she would bounce back.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 14, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »

The latest press release on Metroid: Other M (can't find the link to where I saw it) confirmed that the entire game takes place on this enormous Galactic Federation ship, and all the other environments we've seen in the screens and trailers are simulations inside these spheres, which are scattered around the ship. For example, the jungle area is in the Biosphere, the fire area is in the Pyrosphere, the ice area is in the Cryosphere... you get the picture.

I s'pose it's too early to say whether the similarity with Metroid Fusion is a good thing. Currently, I'm more concerned about whether the controls will hold up in heavier action sequences that are bound to come later.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 14, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
Yeah I'm really not into d-pad navigation of a 3d world. :/
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #678 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
I don't see how it would be that hard to enable Nunchuk support... or hey, Classic Controller support.  The game screams CC support far and wide -- press and hold the R trigger to go into 1st person mode, and release to go back to 3rd.  Easy.  Add in analog running/walking and BAM...  control issue solved.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
I don't see how it would be that hard to enable Nunchuk support... or hey, Classic Controller support.  The game screams CC support far and wide -- press and hold the R trigger to go into 1st person mode, and release to go back to 3rd.  Easy.  Add in analog running/walking and BAM...  control issue solved.

It wouldn't be difficult to add Nunchuck/CC functionality, but it would mean a lot of time spent testing those features in all areas of the game to make sure they don't cause bugs (something that is extremely likely).  I'd gladly wait till the Fall to get this game if it meant we got that functionality, though.

Between this idiotic control scheme and having another Metroid game set entirely on a synthetic environment in space, I'm definitely not getting the game now.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:12:33 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #680 on: July 14, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
Oh, absolutely.  I'm perfectly ok with delaying Metroid until late October/early November as long as I get better controls.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 14, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
Watching the new video has me none to thrilled to play with the d-pad. Probably not getting this game right away. I'll eventually get it, and if I hate the controls I'm gonna make sure Nintendo knows of it in the survey responses.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 14, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
It's a funny thing how Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises (hell, one of gaming's biggest franchises) and yet with Other M it seems as we get closer to the release date the hype is actually going down.  Metroid: Other M discussion is always a downer.  We've got the control issue of course.  There's concern about the storyline, concern about linearity, concern about being too action focused.

I think the PR for this game has been very poor.  Since day one there has been a lukewarm attitude about it.  Team Ninja's involvement brought up tons of questions.  And there is the whole fact that no one really asked for Metroid to be rebooted, on the Wii no less where there already was Metroid Prime 3.  The whole project seemed like fixing something that wasn't broken.  The d-pad thing is NOT a popular decision.  That was likely not a good area to be stubborn about.  But ignoring that this has really needed someone to come forward and say "this isn't Ninja Gaiden with Samus.  This isn't going to be a linear action game.  This is going to be Metroid."

The fact that someone has not done so just makes things worse because it gives the impression that one cannot say such a thing.  Whether it turns out good or bad, I think this is going to have slow sales at first.  Nintendo has just not done a good job in getting Metroid fans hyped for this.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 14, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »
I am disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm for this game. This is the first Metroid game I've pre-ordered, much less the first one I'll get at launch. I can't wait to play it on (a week after) its day of release, and explain to all of you doubters how awesome it is.

It's a funny thing how Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises (hell, one of gaming's biggest franchises) and yet with Other M it seems as we get closer to the release date the hype is actually going down.  Metroid: Other M discussion is always a downer.  We've got the control issue of course.  There's concern about the storyline, concern about linearity, concern about being too action focused.
Really, this happens with every Nintendo game. It's announced, people get excited, but that hype never lasts for one reason or another. The reason is because, when a game is first shown, little is known about it, and everyone begins to wonder about the possibilities. Then, more information becomes available, and it is very likely not what people imagined. So they don't feel so excited anymore. Yet they will likely still buy and enjoy the game anyway, then wonder why they worried. Then do it all again with the next release.

And there is the whole fact that no one really asked for Metroid to be rebooted, on the Wii no less where there already was Metroid Prime 3.
I'm not sure if anyone asked for it, but I'm sure many wanted it. I know I do. The Metroid Prime games are three excellent masterpieces, but I feel they have gone as far as they can go. And actually, Prime 3 felt very stale at parts. I would have been extremely disappointed if this game were Metroid Prime 4.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #684 on: July 14, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
Mop, I was happy when it was a new Metroid game was announced. The moment I found out that the director of the game forced the game to be played only with the Wii Remote, my enthusiasm started to drop. With most Nintendo games, I get more excited as I find out more information on it. The initial trailer was cool, but everything I have seen about the actual gameplay has me convinced that this will not be a good game. I MAY get it once it drops to $20 (which I don't think will take long TBH), but there is no way I would be $54 based on what we know about it.

I think it was a terrible decision to let Yoshio Sakamoto have control over the game. Maybe let him contribute to the game, but do not put him in charge or he will do stuff like refuse to use the nunchuk. Maybe the game will shock me when it is released, but I have very little hope for this game. Nintendo needs to do whatever they can to convince Retro Studios to do it again, or at least keep Sakamoto away.

Also, I don't think the majority of gamers wanted a re-boot. The Prime games put the series back on the map (arguably they made the series more popular than it had ever been), and pretty much defined how the series should be done.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone asked for it, but I'm sure many wanted it. I know I do. The Metroid Prime games are three excellent masterpieces, but I feel they have gone as far as they can go. And actually, Prime 3 felt very stale at parts. I would have been extremely disappointed if this game were Metroid Prime 4.

On the Wii though?  I'm sure this gen could have come and gone and no one would have been all "where the hell has Metroid been?"  Metroid has a Wii entry so you figure that could end up being it for this gen and I don't think anyone would have batted an eye.  I was caught off guard by the announcement.  I just didn't figure a reboot of Metroid would happen in the middle of a generation like that.  I, too, would have been disappointed if this was Metroid Prime 4 but I wouldn't if Metroid Prime 4 was announced years from now on the next Nintendo console (beefed up hardware, improved motion controls, there's some good potential there.)

I do get the vibe from the Other M team that Metroid Prime was a mistake in some way.  Have I read too much into it?  It feels like they act like they're fixing the series.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 14, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
Also, I don't think the majority of gamers wanted a re-boot. The Prime games put the series back on the map (arguably they made the series more popular than it had ever been), and pretty much defined how the series should be done.
So you think everyone wants Metroid Prime 4? I don't know, I think people just want a game that's of the same quality. And to me, this one seems to be, but we won't know for sure until it is released. Impressions of people who have actually played it have been nothing but positive, so I'm not worried.

People also wanted another Zelda: Ocarina of Time. They got it with Twilight Princess, and then a lot of people complained about it being too similar and that Zelda needs to be more fresh. Metroid Prime 4 would probably be the same way (3 already kind of was).

Though you can't please everyone. I love when Nintendo doesn't try, because then we get awesome game like this one.

I do get the vibe from the Other M team that Metroid Prime was a mistake in some way.  Have I read too much into it?  It feels like they act like they're fixing the series.
It's possible. First-person games aren't very popular in Japan, right? So perhaps this game is seen as an attempt to increase the popularity of Metroid in Japan.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #687 on: July 14, 2010, 08:27:31 PM »
I am not saying everyone wanted Metroid Prime 4, but I don't think anyone wanted them to pretend like the last 9 years never happened and to ignore all the great things the Prime series did. And I have seen plenty mixed reviews from people who got to play it at GDC and E3, most of the negative issues seemed to be about the controls (and that is why I am concerned, videos of the controls have not made me any less worried). I would not not even think about saying all have liked it. One of the impressions from IGN that I agree with say that the game seems like Sakamoto is basically trying to make the game be like Shadow Complex for Xbox Live Arcade (in terms of stuff like being in 2D but interacting with stuff in the background).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #688 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:42 PM »
What I don't understand is WHY Sakamoto refuses to use the Nunchuk. On the surface, it looks like a Blue Ocean strategy, like they're trying to sell Metroid to a wider audience, maybe as a "bridge title" or whatever, or to people who don't own Wiis but like this game's promise of a grittier, more "realistic" attitude? The MGS-length cutscenes and bigger focus on close-quarters combat...and Team Ninja's involvement...suggest that strategy.

But I'll say it again: it's not like you have to buy the Nunchuk separately. It's right there, in the box! Even Super Mario Galaxy, which was marketed to a wide audience, used it! IT'S NOT DIFFICULT!

I'm MUCH more interested in WHY he's so anti-Nunchuk than annoyed that I can't use it. Although that's still an enormous clusterfoock.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 14, 2010, 10:05:37 PM »
Nintendo needs to do whatever they can to convince Retro Studios to do it again

Absolutely not. I'd rather not see any more Metroid games for a while than see Nintendo give the series back to Retro. Don't get me wrong; I love the Prime games, they're fantastic, but we don't need any more of them, and more than that I want to see Retro do other things.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 14, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Wow, the final game isn't even out and yet according to Metroid fanboys you'd think it's a sequel to Superman 64.  Seriously, why don't some of you await until actual REVIEWS of the final version come out before acting like Sakamoto is an evil child molester.

Not to mention most of this b!tching is rather stupid when the majority of people who actually played the game said it controls just fine with the D-Pad.  Even most of the negative previews come down to the person saying they'd like to play the game longer to get used to the controls more before saying if they're bad or not, and would really like to play the final version of the game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #691 on: July 14, 2010, 11:57:44 PM »
Neal and Jonny, men I trust deeply when it comes to games, dislike the D-pad controls.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 15, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
The Mole-ph ball powerups will make up for the control scheme.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 15, 2010, 01:19:13 AM »
No one wanted 1st person Metroid when it was first shown to us. When we got it we loved it! But now that is said and done. Metroid games being enclosed in small corridors and targeting being an issue are 3D issues no more. We are finally getting what we wanted for years now and almost everyone cries about it. Can't wait to be blown away.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 15, 2010, 01:54:02 AM »
No one wanted 1st person Metroid when it was first shown to us. When we got it we loved it! But now that is said and done. Metroid games being enclosed in small corridors and targeting being an issue are 3D issues no more. We are finally getting what we wanted for years now and almost everyone cries about it. Can't wait to be blown away.

Exactly, it's the same thing all over again.  When the first Prime was about to come out Metroid fanboys proclaimed it would be the worst thing ever.  Even when the first reviews started coming out giving the game perfect scores, the Metroid fanboys still declared it would be terrible just because they said so. 

Now we're at the same thing over again, the Metroid fanboys are declaring it will be terrible, even though none of them have even played it and most impressions have been very positive.  Hell, this game could get a perfect 100% on Gamerankings and the Metroid fanboys would still refuse to play it just because they say so again.

In other words, this is why Nintendo isn't going to add Nunchuck controls because they know there's no point.  They know that the majority of people who are going to buy the game will have no problem playing it with the D-Pad and the only people who want Nunchuck controls are the usual fanboys who will never be satisfied anyway.  And in 10 years from now when Nintendo tries something different with the Metroid series again, these will be the same people who will complain because now Other M is considered perfect, just like Metroid Prime is now considered perfect.  Even though they did nothing but b!tch about them before they came out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #695 on: July 15, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

I never heard anyone complain about the targeting in the Prime games (especially in MP3, which was like using a mouse), and only some areas had small corridors. In this game, it looks like most of the game will be in small spaces. I have never wanted a game like this and it seems like a step backwards for the series.

There is also a big difference, Prime was reviving a series that had basically been dead for 7 years (there hadn't been a Metroid game since Super Metroid in 1994 and the only thing keeping the series in gamers eyes were Samus appearing in Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee).

Also, I will bet you anything that this game will NEVER be considered perfect. I will be shocked if it even manages to get over 90% average on GameRankings, there is nothing about the game that makes it sound like it will be a great game. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think they could fix it in time.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »
I'm looking forward to this game, but really, I see no point in forcing the D-pad controls.  If you don't want to map the controls to the Nunchuk and WiiMote, fine, but please give the option of mapping the controls to the classic controller as an option.  I didn't enjoy being forced to use the WiiMote on NMSB, and I don't really care for it here, either; I've never found it to be particularly comfortable.

I prefer the options provided in Mario Kart Wii or a Monster Hunter, where you can pretty much use whatever freaking control scheme you want.  I'm not a game designer, but I am a software developer and have worked on programs with user interfaces.  Unless there's a really compelling reason from a design perspective to tie the user to D-pad controls, it's never a good idea to force a control scheme on users that is artificially restrictive.  (I generally feel the same way about forced stylus controls on DS games; I played Zelda and Starfox Command on the DS, but I never liked the controls at all.  They're a pain.)

My understanding is that Team Ninja wanted to have other control options; Sakamoto is the one pushing for the D-pad only controls.  Therein lies something frustrating about Nintendo; they offer machines with a lot of different control options, but they never use them all to their full potential.

I have it preordered now simply because it's got the $20 credit-bonus deal going on at Amazon.  That credit will be going towards DKC or Kirby later this year.   It also happens to be near my birthday, and I'll probably get some cash to cover the expense.  Otherwise, I'd probably pass for a few months.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:54:09 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #697 on: July 15, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
I just don't like the idea of flip-flopping the remote around in my hands ala Super Paper Mario just to freaking stand stationary so I can shoot missles or scan.  This should be done with the tap/hold of a button.  It's that simple really... which is why the CC/Pro is perfect for this game. It's not so much the D-pad thing that's getting me... it's how you execute going into 1st-person mode that does it.  Aggravating.

I have it preordered now simply because it's got the $20 credit-bonus deal going on at Amazon.  That credit will be going towards DKC or Kirby later this year.   It also happens to be near my birthday, and I'll probably get some cash to cover the expense.  Otherwise, I'd probably pass for a few months.

Hah, I just preorderd it, too, for this very reason. That $20 credit is quite enticing. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:54:42 AM by Rachtman »
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 15, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Also, I will bet you anything that this game will NEVER be considered perfect. I will be shocked if it even manages to get over 90% average on GameRankings, there is nothing about the game that makes it sound like it will be a great game. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think they could fix it in time.

So you've actually played and beaten the final version of the game then?  There's no way this game could end up being good just like how there was no way an unknown western studio could possible make a first person Metroid game that will be anywhere near the quality of Super Metroid?

It's one thing to be worried about something in an upcoming game, but it's another to already be declaring the game is bad and it's creator a terrible person when not a single review has even come out yet.  If the first reviews come out and start giving the game scores of 60-70%, then you'll have some justification in your complaints.

Seriously, this is just like how people are already declaring that Skyward Sword is going to be a rehash of Twilight Princess based off a demo that showed probably less then .05% of the final version of the game.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »

I never heard anyone complain about the targeting in the Prime games (especially in MP3, which was like using a mouse), and only some areas had small corridors. In this game, it looks like most of the game will be in small spaces. I have never wanted a game like this and it seems like a step backwards for the series.

Before Prime came out there were so many heated discussions about auto aiming, or aiming in 3rd person. It was a big deal, I'm not talking now when it is all said and done and everyone loved it, I am saying this discussion is just like last generation on the cube.

RomanceDawn