Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 456575 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros.
« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
Don't feel bad. I just read your sig and was like, "I remember that."

I wouldn't mind them turning some of these characters into costumes which should totally be in the game. Namco Bandai always has alternate costumes in their fighting games so I'm hoping they convinced Sakurai to go all out instead of just Wario.

I didn't connect the boxing ring to Little Mac either. I feel oddly ashamed of this.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »
Little Mac: forever the under dog
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 13, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
E3 is probably done with by now. 4pm or 5pm? Either way we should be hearing about veterans and new comers in the coming weeks from the website.

As much as I am frothing at a possible Ridley announcement I think it would be wise just to show those 6  characters and just let the rest show up when the game comes out. I certainly didn't care about the roster being spoiled, it just makes me happier knowing who is in ASAP, but I know a lot of mystery was lost with Brawl since the majority of the newcomers were starters.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »
I posted this in the talkback thread but those generally die out fast, so here goes:

Awesomely stupid indeed; the dude can store projectiles in his pocket!

Regarding a possible subspace mode.. I was looking at the trailer again and while I believe the Wii U footage is just custom scenes for the trailer, like Brawl, I think there may be an adventure mode in the DS version.

I can't link the video now (lazy/mobile) but there's a clip of Mario jumping by himself in what I originally thought was a dkcr inspired level, but the design felt off and didn't match anything from other series known to be represented in the game. What really stood out as odd was simply the fact that the scene only shows Mario and no other character.

I'll link the clip when I'm home..

here is the link to the video

edit: here's a still image Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but I can't think of anything outside of DKCR that this level looks like and its odd to just show mario jumping around platforms arbitrarily in what is known as a fighting game.

And while we're at it, I took another still for you guys. Since Cater' pointed out that the boxing ring might be a clue to Lil Mac being revealed, where do you think this stage is from? looks like something out of Fire Emblem to me, but I'm not a fan of the series; just happens to look like the level from Brawl.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:28:21 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
And while we're at it, I took another still for you guys. Since Cater' pointed out that the boxing ring might be a clue to Lil Mac being revealed, where do you think this stage is from? looks like something out of Fire Emblem to me, but I'm not a fan of the series; just happens to look like the level from Brawl.

It's an arena from Fire Emblem.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 13, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
So what was wrong with this thread:

Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)

? ? ?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Some wiener who doesn't post here nearly enough probably started it. We've moved on.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 13, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
Some wiener who doesn't post here nearly enough probably started it. We've moved on.

oh.... ok :(

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
I really want Miis to be in the game as way to have custom characters.  Imagine your Mii being given a speed, weight, and strength based on the look of the character.  Then take those stats and like characters choose moves from other characters.  Simple stuff.  Not too complex.

Basic moves:  Mario
Smash moves:  Link
Up Special: Bowser
Special: Star Fox
Down Special: Fox
Side Special: Mega Man

Final Smash:  Princess Peach

Whatever you want...those simple variations would make Mii custom fighters quick and easy to make.  Then based on your weight it calculates what strength percentages it should be given. 

Of course some special moves could be locked to character specific specials.  Like Kirby's suck will not be able to be used with Miis.   Same with Yoshi's tongue attack. 

Just a simple idea how Miis in Smash could be amazing.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »
I feel like that might be too exploitable to make a character that's unbalanced. But, I'm not an expert at fightman games.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2013, 11:06:25 PM »
What if they made it so the Mii randomly copied the entire move set of another fighter on the roster, but you didn't know who til the match started? LOL, it would be hilarious (though I imagine the uptight tournament players would want the Mii banned since they don't like fun stuff).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
Manly tear

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #512 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:37 AM »
Well, I think its a balancing act for a create a character. 

Most create a characters need to be carefully balanced.  But...I think often the balances are placed within the moves themselves.  We have seen with clones changing speeds and power strengths can give characters drastically different feels.  Well, a Mii character creator can work just like that.  If you want stronger attacks you will make a Mii that is heavier, but will be slower.  If you want a faster, weaker character lighter.  All these things can be done in the background, and player may not even think about making the perfect Mii.  They are just bringing there own Mii into the game.

Then that same level of customization and balance can be used for the Miis moves you select. 

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 14, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
So word is going around that Sakurai and the team is having difficulties with the 3DS version. Specifically with multiple character fighters, which I can only assume are guys like Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer. Also in an article from Kotaku, Sakurai mentions that all the characters from Melee and Brawl may not make it into Smash 4.

Personally I don't see how Shiek/Zelda and Ice Cimbers are any more difficult to program on the 3DS than they were for the Wii and GameCube. There has to be more to it than that. They didn't even use exact quotes in the article, so who knows exactly what was meant in context.

As far as potential cuts he talked about how difficult it was for 3rd parties to get involved with as well. I expect no Snake, as well as the majority of the Melee cuts like Pichu and Dr Mario. Brawl was a very good cast of worthy characters. And no, Lucario did not replace Mewtwo, the only similar animations they have are of Neautral B and Up B. if anything, the last minute Sonic addition booted Mewtwo who had more character data than any of the other 6 cuts.

Now read the articles after I have influenced you.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-might-not-release-at-the-same-time[/font]

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size]http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533[/font]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:57:02 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »
What if they made it so the Mii randomly copied the entire move set of another fighter on the roster, but you didn't know who til the match started? LOL, it would be hilarious (though I imagine the uptight tournament players would want the Mii banned since they don't like fun stuff).

There is a character in soul calibur that does that. Soul Calibur is made by namco. Namco is making this Smash Bros.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

« Reply #515 on: June 14, 2013, 04:22:41 AM »
What if they made it so the Mii randomly copied the entire move set of another fighter on the roster, but you didn't know who til the match started? LOL, it would be hilarious
Yeah, that's Mokujin from Tekken, Edge Master/Charade/whoever in Soul Calibur.

(though I imagine the uptight tournament players would want the Mii banned since they don't like fun stuff).
  I bet it's sure fun to strawman tournament players nonstop when you yourself have never been to a tournament!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 14, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
So word is going around that Sakurai and the team is having difficulties with the 3DS version. Specifically with multiple character fighters, which I can only assume are guys like Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer. Also in an article from Kotaku, Sakurai mentions that all the characters from Melee and Brawl may not make it into Smash 4.
Since they specifically mention the 3DS version, this may have something to do with the lag of transforming characters in multiplayer matches.
As far as potential cuts he talked about how difficult it was for 3rd parties to get involved with as well. I expect no Snake, as well as the majority of the Melee cuts like Pichu and Dr Mario. Brawl was a very good cast of worthy characters. And no, Lucario did not replace Mewtwo, the only similar animations they have are of Neautral B and Up B. if anything, the last minute Sonic addition booted Mewtwo who had more character data than any of the other 6 cuts.
I'd expect some of the clone characters to get cut if the Melee cuts are anything to go by. Mewtwo was the only character with a unique moveset from Melee to get booted. The clone characters could get relegated to alternate outfits. Sakurai mentioned in a recent interview that he felt custom costumes took away from the individual characters, but in context, it sounds like he was referring to just putting sunglasses or different articles of clothing on characters as opposed to different outfits each of these characters have worn. Who knows? The world needs more Robot Ness.

Sadly, it seems there's a chance Snake may be out though I find it encouraging that Sony used Raiden in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale instead of Snake. No one would pick Raiden as a first choice. I figured Nintendo had a hand in that, probably in their original deal with Konami to include Snake in Brawl. Regardless of whether Snake ever reappears in another Smash Bros., perhaps Nintendo wanted to make sure he didn't show up any other fighting game that wouldn't be on Nintendo hardware. Or maybe Kojima blocked it because he wants to keep the door open for Snake to return to Smash Bros. It was bizarre enough that Snake made it in Brawl since the last time he appeared on Nintendo hardware was Twin Snakes, four whole years before Brawl. If Snake showed up in a Sony exclusive Smash Bros.-type game, it'd be even harder to justify including him in the next Smash Bros.

Fortunately, I'm confident that Sonic will return because Nintendo and Sega have a good working relationship and Sonic has seen most of his post-Dreamcast appearances on Nintendo hardware, including the next like five being Nintendo exclusive. Really, I want all characters with a unique moveset to be made a priority to return.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:11:25 AM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
No Cross Platform Play In Smash
« Reply #517 on: June 14, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

No cross platform play, which is somewhat relieving for me.

Also he mentions customization among characters on the 3DS that can then be shipped over to the Wii U version. Yet he doesn't want customizable costumes... He say's costumes would take away the uniqueness from each character. I certainly hope that only applies to random things like Tanookie Tails for every character, Dark Nut armor, etc. Otherwise how does he explain guys like Wario? Or heck, even Pikachu and Jigglypuff with their extra articles of clothing?

So the only things that come to mind are:

1 - Custom entrances

2 - Custom victory themes

3 - Custom taunts

4 - Custom projectiles (looks different but function exactly the same)

5 - Custom visual effects when characters attack

6 - Custom emblems people can draw and stick on their character

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 14, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
Oddly, I felt the some of the color palettes choices took away the uniqueness of the characters. Mario didn't have a Fire Mario option until Brawl, but he had that weird BBQ sauce colored one in the original. What?

I think the custom costumes thing refers to random articles of clothing on characters that didn't already need any to differentiate themselves such as Pikachu and Jugglypuff like you said. So we won't have Mario putting on a random leather jacket. That doesn't mean we're definitely getting costumes that characters have worn in other games (e.g. Fusion Suit for Samus), but right now, it hasn't been ruled out. I've wanted alternate outfits since the first game. Like I said in my previous post, we NEED Robot Ness.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 14, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
No cross platform play is disappointing and makes it less likely I'll get both games. I wonder what the reasons for it are as PASBR has cross platfrom play.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 14, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
No cross-platform because the games have different stages. 3DS has more stages based on handheld games. Wii U has more stages based on console games. I think they said the games share some stages.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 14, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »
That does seem odd about no Cross-play.  Even if it just limit the selection of stages to the shared one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 14, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
It's unfortunate that the two versions of Brawl won't have cross-play.  That was one of the most enjoyable aspects of PlayStation All Stars last year, as it meant you had the biggest possible pool of players to play against and it didn't matter which version your friends had.  Granted, PSASBR is the same game on both platforms with minor control differences, but I don't see why Nintendo couldn't have allowed cross-play between players on stages shared between the two versions.

On the flip side, the two versions having distinct stage lists does mean it's pretty likely that I'll buy both versions of Smash U. Well played, Nintendo.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #523 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
It's unfortunate that the two versions of Brawl won't have cross-play.  That was one of the most enjoyable aspects of PlayStation All Stars last year, as it meant you had the biggest possible pool of players to play against and it didn't matter which version your friends had.  Granted, PSASBR is the same game on both platforms with minor control differences, but I don't see why Nintendo couldn't have allowed cross-play between players on stages shared between the two versions.

On the flip side, the two versions having distinct stage lists does mean it's pretty likely that I'll buy both versions of Smash U. Well played, Nintendo.

Nintendo must know my love for stages, so they have me hook, line and sinker!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 14, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »
That does seem odd about no Cross-play.  Even if it just limit the selection of stages to the shared one.
at least they have a decent excuse to divide them. i wonder if we will see characters divided Ie: Chrom is 3DS only while Ike is console only