We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.

Wii Sells 600,000 Units So Far

November 27, 2006, 3:41 pm PST
Total comments: 36

Number accounts for units sold in "the Americas," Nintendo mum on formerly promised number of one million. Also, Zelda sells a lot.

WII IS A MASSIVE HIT

600,000 First-Week Purchases Attracting Veteran and New Gamers

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 27, 2006 - Built on a foundation of pure fun, Nintendo's new Wii™ video game system sold through to more than 600,000 consumers in the Americas in just its first eight days of availability. That's a rate of nearly one per second continuously since the Nov. 19 launch. Including just first-party software and accessory sales, Wii instantly has become a $190 million business in the Americas.

During the Thanksgiving holiday shopping weekend, there was plenty of conversation across the nation about the high demand for the Wii system, with the acknowledgment that if you see one, you'd better buy it.



"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the ‘gotta-have' products for the holiday season," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time - and we still sold out. Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

The system also is succeeding in its stated mission of reinvigorating current players, while attracting new ones. Every Wii system includes the five-game Wii Sports™ software, which is the talk of the Internet, featuring countless reports on how previously devout non-gamers have suddenly been converted via the amazing new way games are experienced using the system's remarkable controller. At the same time, the masterful The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess, a favorite of avid gamers, already has achieved sales of more than 454,000 units in the Americas, representing more than 75 percent of all hardware purchasers.

Licensees, pleased not only with the sales performance of the Wii, but also its creative development capabilities, are publicly sharing their comments:

"Madden NFL 07 is a great example of how the Wii gives players a whole new experience on their favorite games," says EA Studio President Paul Lee. "EA's creative teams are working to build more Wii features into some of our most popular franchises."

"The creativity we've been able to unleash on the Wii system with our game Red Steel has been eye-opening for our development teams," explains Ubisoft President Laurent Detoc. "Having the opportunity to design and develop entirely new game-play experiences using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk is both exciting and rewarding."

Classic games also are proving to be a hit on Wii, which offers downloadable access to 20 years of the best of Nintendo®, Sega Genesis® and TurboGrafx16™ hits via the system's Virtual Console™ feature.

Talkback

PryopizmStan Ferguson, Staff AlumnusNovember 27, 2006

What happened to rolling out one million at launch? No wonder every store in my area got so few.

decoymanNovember 27, 2006

I wonder if it had anything to do with them realizing that there were issues with some launch units, so they pulled back ones with the problem that they found... ?

PryopizmStan Ferguson, Staff AlumnusNovember 27, 2006

Would be nice if they'd come clean with it, if that--or anything like it--was the case.

GoldenPhoenixNovember 27, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: Pryopizm
What happened to rolling out one million at launch? No wonder every store in my area got so few.


Um I believe that 1 million was an estimate, nothing official, so Nintendo really has nothing to answer too. Regardless I don't have much sympathy for people who didn't wait a couple hours before launch, it isn't like 600k is something to sneeze at and you didn't have to camp out for over 24 hrs to get one.

BiLdItUp1November 27, 2006

times square ftw
...seriously though, this is a console launch. MR. T SAYS USE YO HEAD, FOO

nickmitchNovember 27, 2006

Oh, you edited you post. Nevermind.

GoldenPhoenixNovember 27, 2006

Beat you to it TV Man, I corrected it face-icon-small-smile.gif.

SvevanEvan Burchfield, Staff AlumnusNovember 27, 2006

Who cares if one million was an estimate? (it wasn't, it was a goal) The point is that they wanted it, made it clear they were going to do it, and then didn't. Note the news story: they wanted one million for North America. Now they're saying the system sold 600,000 in "THE Americas." That's a serious misstep. What went wrong, Nintendo?

Of course nothing's doom and gloom yet - the system is selling, which is great, and they're outdoing PS3 of course. But four million by year's end is looking less likely (actually it's not going to happen at all).

CericNovember 27, 2006

Me and 14 people who waited with me would disagree about not having to wait more then 24 hrs.

PryopizmStan Ferguson, Staff AlumnusNovember 27, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
Quote

Originally posted by: Pryopizm
What happened to rolling out one million at launch? No wonder every store in my area got so few.


Um I believe that 1 million was an estimate, nothing official, so Nintendo really has nothing to answer too. Regardless I don't have much sympathy for people who didn't wait a couple hours before launch, it isn't like 600k is something to sneeze at and you didn't have to camp out for over 24 hrs to get one.


Then have sympathy for the fact that I don't own one because I can't currently afford one thanks to my cable company.

zakkielNovember 27, 2006

VG, if you only had to wait a couple of hours for yours, then you got lucky, plain and simple. So get off that high horse.

Based on what I remember from my town, if Nintendo had in fact shipped one million, it would just about have filled all the early morning lines. Everyone who got in later would still have missed out, but I'd say it would have more or less satisfied demand. Oh well.

Also: 75% bought TP? Who the hell are the other 25%? Besides Ian?

DjunknownNovember 27, 2006

Looks like Nintendo isn't immune to overestimating its capacity. As George Harrison stated in NWR's podcast, they can't get them out of China fast enough. Couple with the fact that Japanese and European launches aren't far behind, they have to make some allocations.

Looks like ebayers will be in business for a little while longer...

BranDonk KongNovember 27, 2006

These figures don't account for any sales made today...if there were any shipments delivered this morning. The 8 days are Sunday 11/19-Sunday 11/26.

kings xNovember 27, 2006

That's a bit misleading. I bet many of those Zelda sales are people buying them that don't have Wii yet. After all, we've ben hyped to no end to 'buy when you can', so I have stuff already ordered, including zelda, cables, SD, and controllers, but no Wii anywhere around here.

TJ SpykeNovember 27, 2006

This is gonna be a monster in Japan, I expect it to be like the DS Lite launch, where people lined up for hours before it launched and was buying them so quickly that Nintendo was easily selling over 100K every week (and the only think stopping the numbers from being even higher was Nintendo not being able to manufacture them fast enough).

ArtimusNovember 27, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: Svevan
Who cares if one million was an estimate? (it wasn't, it was a goal) The point is that they wanted it, made it clear they were going to do it, and then didn't. Note the news story: they wanted one million for North America. Now they're saying the system sold 600,000 in "THE Americas." That's a serious misstep. What went wrong, Nintendo?

Of course nothing's doom and gloom yet - the system is selling, which is great, and they're outdoing PS3 of course. But four million by year's end is looking less likely (actually it's not going to happen at all).


Yeah, they WANTED a million but only managed 600,000 (or so). That's such a tragedy. Boo hoo hoo. Seriously. You know they produced as many as possible, it's not a matter of just snapping your fingers. If they got 600,000 then that's all that could have been produced by launch. You can't blame that one anyone, it's just how the business works. It's a large enough number not to make the launch questionable like Sony's, so what's the big deal? They're not holding out on us. They didn't lie.

HocotateNovember 27, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: nintendogamecube86
This is gonna be a monster in Japan, I expect it to be like the DS Lite launch, where people lined up for hours before it launched and was buying them so quickly that Nintendo was easily selling over 100K every week (and the only think stopping the numbers from being even higher was Nintendo not being able to manufacture them fast enough).


I agree, this will dominate Japan. It is already outdoing the PS3 in North America by default. Even if X360 takes the US, Wii's power in Japan will pretty much force all the big name JP devs to support it. This in turn, will eventually make Wii the top console in the USA as well (just like DS).

Quote

Also: 75% bought TP? Who the hell are the other 25%? Besides Ian?

*raises hand* I thought I'd give the other launch games a chance, I know if I bought Zelda nothing else would be played lol. I'll probably buy it in a few weeks here.

wasn't there some sort of meteor shower on launch night? I tried finding the post but it seems to have disappeared. obviously sony could not allow such a massive head start and acted accordingly

TrueNerdNovember 27, 2006

Zelda should have outsold the Wii. Everyone buying the Wii should have got Zelda and all those planning on getting Wii should have gotten the game as well. I mean, why else get it right now?

Dark_SlothNovember 27, 2006

Oh yeah there was meteor shower for the Gamecube launch. I didn't see anything, but it was nice to know it was going on.
Pretty crazy about the launch numbers. I wonder if many retailers have gotten more shipments of wii's. I could see it going far with a whole month of sales if they could supply enough.

KlapauciusNovember 27, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: zakkiel
VG, if you only had to wait a couple of hours for yours, then you got lucky, plain and simple. So get off that high horse.

Based on what I remember from my town, if Nintendo had in fact shipped one million, it would just about have filled all the early morning lines. Everyone who got in later would still have missed out, but I'd say it would have more or less satisfied demand. Oh well.

Also: 75% bought TP? Who the hell are the other 25%? Besides Ian?



I'm thinking the the other 25% are first time gamers who've never played Zelda before, or more likely are people waiting for the Gamecube release.

ArbokNovember 27, 2006

Well, just to lay in my two cents. I got up and waited out in front of my Bestbuy at 5 in the morning, a full five hours before it opened, and was 39th in line. They had a total of 70 at launch. So yes it was a long time to wait, but I don't think it was horrible or anything (helped that I basically played one single map of Advance Wars the whole time). If you were trying to get one in the city I could imagine it was much harder though. They said they would have a total of 120 coming to them by the end of the month (including the 70 at launch) so perhaps that million was forth coming, who knows. You think they would have tried to get them all out by Black Friday, but then they would have sold out anyway regardless of the time frame.

Quote

Originally posted by: Klapaucius
I'm thinking the the other 25% are first time gamers who've never played Zelda before, or more likely are people waiting for the Gamecube release.


More of the former I would wager. There were a number of people in my line who were getting it for Wii Sports and Red Steel only (while in the opposite camp where the people who read early reviews and stayed clear of the latter).

CericNovember 27, 2006

If memory serves where I got my Wii we got 20 Wiis and 19 copies of Zelda. If everywhere was the same it would account for the 25%.

BranDonk KongNovember 27, 2006

That's 5%.

AgesNovember 28, 2006

I think it has alot to do with that last-second "no start up disc" firmware update before launch. That would definetely create a bottleneck with so many completed systems that needed the update. Not to mention they're trying to launch in three terrirories in a span of less than a month.

CericNovember 28, 2006

Actually I was going for that bigger stores may not have had the same ratio. (Sort of like 20 was the min any Walmart would get of Wiis)

Ian SaneNovember 28, 2006

"Also: 75% bought TP? Who the hell are the other 25%? Besides Ian?"

I didn't buy a Wii so I wouldn't count as a statistic. 75% is still incredibly good. Now watch Sony launch their next console (if they launch another console again) with one game so that it beats Zelda's tie-in ratio.

I'm glad Nintendo got more units in stores than Sony but 600,000 isn't all that great. Nintendo made it out like the Wii would be easy to find. 4 million by the end of the year suggests to me that one could probably just walk into a store and get one. Didn't Sony for the PS2 have only 500,000 after promising 1 million? Everyone sh!t on them for that and rightfully so. This isn't much better. Now I'm sure they'll get units out quicker but they're lucky Sony is screwing up worse.

I think Nintendo can deal with it but it isn't great. At least they sold out. It would be much worse if they shipped these few units and they didn't sell.

Smash_BrotherNovember 28, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: Ages Not to mention they're trying to launch in three terrirories in a span of less than a month.


I concur.

Sony isn't even trying to get the PS3 to the world before the year's end while Nintendo is trying to offer the Wii to the world for Christmas.

Vrgin X1November 28, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: zakkiel

Also: 75% bought TP? Who the hell are the other 25%? Besides Ian?


I have Zelda:TP, yet I have no Wii to play it on......brokenheart.gif

zakkielNovember 28, 2006

Likewise.

GoldenPhoenixNovember 28, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: zakkiel
VG, if you only had to wait a couple of hours for yours, then you got lucky, plain and simple. So get off that high horse.

Based on what I remember from my town, if Nintendo had in fact shipped one million, it would just about have filled all the early morning lines. Everyone who got in later would still have missed out, but I'd say it would have more or less satisfied demand. Oh well.

Also: 75% bought TP? Who the hell are the other 25%? Besides Ian?


And guess what, if I didn't get one I wouldn't be whining about it either, I would have thought I should have got there earlier. I got there 7 hrs early which I thought was cutting it close, I was prepared to go to best buy at 7pm and wait out the night, but the local Fred Meyers had 90 of them and were selling them at midnight and only 50 people were lined up so I went there. 600k is still ALOT of systems and one of the bigger system launches (heck stores getting 90 of them is a big indication of that).

IceColdNovember 28, 2006

Quote

Nintendo made it out like the Wii would be easy to find.
They never did that. In fact, there was a press release saying they expected shortages for launch..

ArbokNovember 28, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: IceCold
Quote

Nintendo made it out like the Wii would be easy to find.
They never did that. In fact, there was a press release saying they expected shortages for launch..


Yep, he's right:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=12329

SvevanEvan Burchfield, Staff AlumnusNovember 28, 2006

Point me to it IceCold - I want to get to the bottom of this before my next Podcast so I can apologize for adding fuel to the "don't pre-order" fire.

edit: Thanks Arbok.

GoldenPhoenixNovember 28, 2006

Quote

Originally posted by: Svevan
Point me to it IceCold - I want to get to the bottom of this before my next Podcast so I can apologize for adding fuel to the "don't pre-order" fire.

edit: Thanks Arbok.


Yeah, the only people who said you can walk right in and get one were those that mock others who disagreed on podcasts, nothing official. face-icon-small-smile.gifface-icon-small-tongue.gif

PryopizmStan Ferguson, Staff AlumnusNovember 28, 2006

I'm enjoying my crow. But again, I didn't wait for the Wii because I had no money to pay for it. Still don't. Probably won't until it becomes widely available.

Advertisement