Author Topic: Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support  (Read 6698 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2004, 06:35:14 PM »
Don't forget about the power of compression

At one point or another Capcom would have never guessed that RE2 would fit on the N64 and only in a 64MB cart.  Especially with all the FMV intact (albeit a little grainy).

They coulda fit FF7 on N64 if they put the effort, and if they want to they can squeeze it into 128 MB cart at a lower resolution.

The question is will they put the effort?

and.....

would Nintendo let them?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2004, 06:40:36 PM »
I also have an update w/ a little new info and a rumor on this topic (which I also mentioned in another thead)
that I found in another forum.

the story is found on gamesindustry.biz

Offline Kyosho

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 11:09:50 PM »

They coulda fit FF7 on N64 if they put the effort, and if they want to they can squeeze it into 128 MB cart at a lower resolution.

if they did that, then imo it wouldn't be worth it.  Movies would be very grainy, and you will suffer a loss of graphical quality which I think is a standard these days for RPGs.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 11:43:14 PM »
FF7 as a game would fit, but I can't imagine them shrinking down the video that much.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline whiffleboy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2004, 12:17:07 AM »
Well, this is how I see the whole Nintendo DS thing.  I think nintendo wants a 2d and 3d portable.  I think the Game Boy Advance successor is going to be for 2d games like mario and zelda.  Where the Nintendo DS is going to be for 3d games like Golden Eye!!!! We all love the old school 2d games and if the Game Boy Advance successor is more 3d than 2d you can kiss your 2d games good bye.  I mean how many 2d games do you see on consoles.  what if the Game Boy Advance successor goes 3d all the companies are going to only make 3d games for it and all the 2d metroid games would be over.  This is why I think the Nintendo DS is the "Third Pilar" and I can't wait for it to come out!!!!

~Whiffleboy Insider~

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2004, 01:41:31 AM »
i'm down for Konami to make some form of Bemani game for it, oh the hilarity.

I mean how many 2d games do you see on consoles.

not nearly enough >=o 2d
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2004, 08:50:12 AM »
Graphically, FF7 is laughable. (Except for the FMVs) While an N64 port would have had terrible quality FMVs, the graphics would have almost certainly looked better. Looking at it nowadays, virtually all PSX games had grain-arific graphics.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2004, 09:02:41 AM »
my mistake, i've been using FF7 for PC as a comparison instead of the PSX.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2004, 09:41:00 AM »
They should make a new FF (or better yet, something completely different) so they aren't tied to old material or storylines requiring too many impossible (i.e. prerendered) scenes.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2004, 06:48:04 AM »
not very encouraging news from ea
http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6087083.html
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2004, 09:34:49 AM »
chances are ea found out about the ds at the same time you and i did.  it's going to take them a while to figure out what, if anything, they want to do.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2004, 09:59:16 AM »
EA's attitude towards the DS isn't very surprising.  First of all they likely know very little about it.  Second a lot of their success has been on Sony consoles so in regards to which portable they will be more dedicated to the PSP is the obvious choice.  Finally EA isn't a very creative company and thus isn't going to think of some amazing dual screen ideas as quickly as some of the more quirky Japanese developers.  It's no surprise that the first company to commit support is a Japanese company like Namco.  I have a feeling that the DS is going to have much more Japanese support than American.  American developers tend to not take as many risks and thus will want to go with something more tried and true.

I'll bet you though that if/when Nintendo announces that the DS can play GBA games EA will immediately pledge support.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2004, 01:44:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Finally EA isn't a very creative company and thus isn't going to think of some amazing dual screen ideas as quickly as some of the more quirky Japanese developers.

yea thats for sure. i dont think they have ever done anything creative when i think about it. however, becaues of their lack of vision, they are very good at some of the games they do make. and they always seem to put out madden very quickly on new systems.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2004, 01:49:28 PM »
Does EA itself actually make any games? They have a bunch of subsidaries that put out some great games (like Maxis or Westwood), and they're the publisher of two developers I like (Criterion and Free Radical), but I'm not sure if there are any games nowadays they make themselves.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2004, 07:05:08 AM »
m_c: EA has its own devs AND assimilates other companies. There's no Westwood, Maxis, etc, it's all just "EA Games". Also, they have EA Sports, of course (I'm not sure whether those were unified as well).