Author Topic: Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support  (Read 6777 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support
« on: January 24, 2004, 07:55:26 AM »
A couple of Japanese giants are already jumping on the bandwagon.

Link: http://www.polygonmag.com/news/index.php?id=1582
Source: Polygon

After Nintendo let the cat out of the bag, announcing the Nintendo DS, people started to wonder if anyone other than Nintendo would develop games for it.  According to Japan's Nikkei Keizai Shimbun, we now know that there will be at least two more companies making games for the mystery system.

Konami and Namco have both said that they will create software for the Nintendo DS, though any sort of specific details weren't given. Naturally, since the system was just recently revealed to the public, it would be likely that other developers didn't know about it until not too long ago, and therefore very unlikely that any sort of games are in development.

As more developers pledge DS support, we'll be sure to let you know right away.  
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 08:12:21 AM »
I'm glad we'll have Konami and Namco from the get-go on this platform-  it's chances for success just raised 300%.  But do I ever wish Konami would give the GCN a little more love before moving on to her younger, potentially more attractive sister...  If the GCN would put a little make up on, Konami wouldn't even notice that huge memory card sticking out of her face.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 08:25:08 AM »
Konami's like a cat, they can be so fickle sometimes- first they actually work together with Nintendo to heavily remake quite possibly their best game as a Gamecube exclusive, then decide to shaft the Gamecube with DDR Ultramix and Silent Hill 4 (the XBox is getting both for some ungodly reason), THEN pledge support to a Nintendo console I doubt they know much more about than we do. Pleh.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 08:45:59 AM »
I think Konami knows that no one can touch Big N in the portable industry and that's why there are always Konami GBA games.
The DDR Ultramix was a huge surprise to me because the game just doesn't go along with the Xbox rumors of being a "machoman's system", but I'm guessing that is M$'s desperate attempt to get the Japanese market to buy Xboxes.
When is Microsoft going to run out of 'bribe' money?  I know they are loaded but with the constant losses and the many under the table deals, they've got to be running low on Green.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Behemoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 09:00:41 AM »
A new Castlevania with two camera perspectives would be sooooooooooooooooooo much fun.
Nintendo>Sony
Christina Aguilera>Britney Spears
Sactown Kings>LA Lakers
Rock n Roll> Pop and Rap

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 09:15:32 AM »

they've got to be running low on Green.
Yeah, sure.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 09:26:09 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Konami's like a cat, they can be so fickle sometimes- first they actually work together with Nintendo to heavily remake quite possibly their best game as a Gamecube exclusive, then decide to shaft the Gamecube with DDR Ultramix and Silent Hill 4 (the XBox is getting both for some ungodly reason), THEN pledge support to a Nintendo console I doubt they know much more about than we do. Pleh.

According to rumours, several third-parties have seen the unit in action with Nintendo's own (finished) games for the system and are very impressed.  
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 09:26:18 AM »
Konami has *always* been very generous with Castlevania.  You can find Castlevania on pretty much every major system to date (and a lot of non major ones).  Here's the list:  MSX, NES, Commodore 64, Amiga, Arcade, Gameboy, SNES, TG16, X68000, PSX, Saturn, N64, GBA, PS2 and a cancelled Dreamcast game.  The only notable systems missing from the list are the latest ones (GameCube and XBox).  However, the DS being primarily a 2d system (count on it) I think we can expect a Castlevania game.

Unlike GBA/GCN connectivity which requires two systems and can be a real pain in the ass, I can really see a lot of developers being excited about working on this system.  That would be good.

I can almost see another two castle game (like HoD) with one castle on one screen and one on the other.  As for what gameplay purposes that would serve... I'll leave that up to IGA (but the possibilities are enormous (though some of my ideas are admittedly ridiculous and unplayable).

I think this will be a cool system.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 09:37:29 AM »

According to rumours, several third-parties have seen the unit in action with Nintendo's own (finished) games for the system and are very impressed.
Well, since it's supposed to come out later this year, I would hope Nintendo (and maybe other companies) has at least a few (nearly) finished games.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Third Parties Start Pledging DS Support
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 10:02:39 AM »
I think the idea phase would be the hardest to get past, but other than that, Konami can pump out GBA games pretty fast.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect GBA games from third parties at launch, even if third parties are just now getting kits.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 10:43:25 AM »
I wonder how Kojima feels about the DS.  He's a really creative guy and I imagine some pretty neat ideas popped into his head the second he heard about this.  If the guy can create a game that incorporates SUN LIGHT I'm sure he could create something that uses two screens.  I'll bet even if this thing doesn't really take off a good deal of the elite Japanese developers (Kojima, Naka, Suzuki etc) will at least want to try something on the DS.  The two screens idea is unique enough to attract those types of ambitious developers.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 10:47:59 AM »
Let's not forget Namco either. I can picture a few concepts:

A) A zany pac-man using two screens.

B) RPG's (Make Nintendo the official home of the Tales Series?)

C) Driving game (Will the real Ridge Racer please stand up?)

Great news indeed.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 02:05:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Rize
Konami has *always* been very generous with Castlevania.  You can find Castlevania on pretty much every major system to date (and a lot of non major ones).  Here's the list:  MSX, NES, Commodore 64, Amiga, Arcade, Gameboy, SNES, TG16, X68000, PSX, Saturn, N64, GBA, PS2 and a cancelled Dreamcast game.  The only notable systems missing from the list are the latest ones (GameCube and XBox).  However, the DS being primarily a 2d system (count on it) I think we can expect a Castlevania game.

Unlike GBA/GCN connectivity which requires two systems and can be a real pain in the ass, I can really see a lot of developers being excited about working on this system.  That would be good.

I can almost see another two castle game (like HoD) with one castle on one screen and one on the other.  As for what gameplay purposes that would serve... I'll leave that up to IGA (but the possibilities are enormous (though some of my ideas are admittedly ridiculous and unplayable).

I think this will be a cool system.

You forgot the Mega Drive (aka Genesis) one.

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2004, 09:42:01 PM »
You guys keep writing stuff like, "Oh, it would be great to have a Castlevania with 2 screens, or an RPG with 2 screens ect." But what the hell for?! Seriously think about it. If you have any ideas on how to utilize 2 screens WELL for a Castlevania game or an RPG, I'd like to know. I can't think of any. Having 2 screens seems more like a hassle than anything to me.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 09:44:50 PM »
That's why we're waiting to see how the games are going to use the two screens at E3. Until we see how they'll be implemented I don't think anyone can make an accurate prediction of whether or not it's useless.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline whiffleboy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2004, 12:22:17 AM »
I thinking FINAL FANTASY 7!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8,AND9
SQUAREENIX

Offline jimmyl930

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2004, 05:24:02 AM »
Great news. I wish Namco would make a portable Soul Caliber w/ wireless multiplayer.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 08:05:14 AM »
I would buy an improved FF7 in an instant. Unfortunatly, one cartridge can't hold all that FMV, and I doubt Square-Enix will chop all that FMV off... so I don't think thats gonna happen.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2004, 08:38:12 AM »
FFVII?  Heh, heh...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2004, 06:40:32 PM »
Imagine Advance wars and fire emblem for the ds... *starts drooling* You could have 2 battles going at once one on each screen and to somehow have those battles interelated would be so cool. Apart from that I can't see how the two screen could be any use. It would work well for RPG's and strategy games but i can't see how they would use it for other types of games. I guess for multiplayer games a power up would be one screen would show what the other player can see.
THE SECRET IS ON THE EASTERN PENINSULA. I KNOW NOTHING. I AM ERROR.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2004, 06:54:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Smadte
You guys keep writing stuff like, "Oh, it would be great to have a Castlevania with 2 screens, or an RPG with 2 screens ect." But what the hell for?! Seriously think about it. If you have any ideas on how to utilize 2 screens WELL for a Castlevania game or an RPG, I'd like to know. I can't think of any. Having 2 screens seems more like a hassle than anything to me.

Castlevania with two screens I don't get. But RPGs present several obvious possibilities.

In fact, it seems to me an RPG utilizing two screens just came out, it was called "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals". Seems like that was a decent enough idea.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 08:12:21 PM »
RPGs are the bigest ones to benifit from the second screen. But it also has it advantages with Raceing games you can have the "mirrors" one the second screen. Also if the developer is industrous enough they more than likely can use the second screen as an extetion you you can have arcade like displays of games.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 05:18:27 AM »
Hey, what about Sniper Scope! You could have the regular view on one screen and the scope on the other! It would be more true to the arcade games than the PS2 versions. Well, except for the graphics. I think somebody may have already mentioned this, although it might have not been on these forums...
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2004, 01:24:08 PM »
FFVII won't be possible.   FFVII  took up around 2 GB total with all the pre-renders and FMVs.   the    DS carts will be 128 MB   (equal to 1 Gb.)

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 01:27:16 PM »
Maybe we'll get a first party RPG now...Then again, maybe not.

the DS carts will be 128 MB (equal to 1 Gb.)
Yeah, I meant to convert 1 Gigabit to Bytes, but I am too lazy.
-Kenny