Author Topic: Okay, so what is your PHOBIA?  (Read 16337 times)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Okay, so what is your PHOBIA?
« on: October 21, 2003, 06:31:17 AM »
I'm carrying this over from what I mentioned in my journal:

Do you have phobia's and what are they?

For me it would have to be heights, as I mentioned in my journal.  I hate being up high somewhere, where there is even the slight chance I may fall.  And this is strange because when I was younger heights never bothered me, I would run around the Eiffel Tower at King's Dominion Amusement Park without a care in the world.  I hate getting up on the roof of our house.  I even hate walking up to the railing on the back deck, mainly I think that is because the deck is old and the railing probably wouldn't support much weight, even though our dogs out back like to get up on it, walk around on and even lay on it.  It would be just my luck that as soon as I leaned against it, it would give and I'd fall down into the back yard.

Spiders don't bother me, as long as they don't crawl on me, if they do I will jump and try and get them off then kill them.  They are fine as long as they are doing their job as insect control.

I don't know if it is a phobia, but I hate being in a room where half the lights are on and the other half are off.  On many occasions in school, my Creative Writing class when I was in the 12th grade I'd come into the class and half the lights were off.  Sometimes I would try and ignore it, but every time I had to get up and turn the lights on.  (This of course could just be part of my obsessive nature, which I am working on.)

Small places don't bother me, and being alone doesn't bother me.

I don't care what people think about me either, if that is even a phobia and it probably is considering that there is a phobia of the fear of peanut butter on the roof of you mouth.  I had a list once, but I don't know where it is right now.

I don't fly, that's another phobia of mine.  But the last time I was on a plane was around 20 years ago.  It has nothing to do with the September 11th terrorist attacks, it is just that I don't feel comfortable getting in something that could at any moment fall out of the sky.  I have never since that time when I was five or so that I had to get on a plane, or a helicopter.  I won't get in those either, I feel they are even more unstable than planes.  Probably because of the whole Twilight Zone movie where Vic Morrow was decapitated while shooting the movie, a special effects when wrong and the helicopter crashed into him and two small children killing all three.  It may also be to that fact because I have seen the actual footage of the helicopter going down on them.

So there you have it, so if you are willing please share.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Fish

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Okay, so what is your PHOBIA?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 06:36:10 AM »
Spiders and flying insects. I just hate those, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 07:14:53 AM »
I don't know if I would call this a phobia, but I can't stand having spiders on me.  However, I love studying and watching them...(Phobias = complete fear of something)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Okay, so what is your PHOBIA?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 07:47:00 AM »
Bill I think it's pretty normal to not like having spiders crawl on you.  I'm not afraid of spiders (because there aren't any dangerous ones where I live) but I still freak when one crawls on me.

My greatest phobia would be wasps.  When I was around two I got attacked by a hornet and I've had a serious phobia ever since.  When a wasp is nearby I actually start sweating and my heart rate goes up.  Some people I know think I'm scared of bees which always pisses me off because bees and wasps are totally different.  I have no problem with bees and have never been stung by one.  My brother the supreme @sshole thinks it's stupid for me to be scared of wasps yet he is scared of needles (which I'm not) and feels it's a rational fear.  I don't see why needles is an acceptable fear and wasps isn't when the reason for being afraid is pretty much the same.

I also have a problem with heights but I think it's more of balance problem then anything else.  I've always had problems climbing ladders and stuff but it's more of any uneasiness than an outright fear.  I just don't feel like I can keep my balance.  Balance has always been a problem with me.  I can't even ride a skateboard.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 08:23:50 AM »
I don't like bees, wasps and the kind and try to avoid them, but only because I am allergic to them.  I like to watch bees, I have petted a bee while it was on a flower once just to see if I could, it just sorta moved and then flew off, didn't attck me or anything.  I'm not gonna try and touch a wasp.  I like bumblebee's too.  But I avoid them if there are several of them around because I don't need to be stung.  I don't mind needles, I sometimes watch them insert the needle into my arm, sometimes I don't.  The spider thing is like me, they don't freak me out unless they are actually on my body.  I think they are fascinating.  My father bought a baby tarantula Sunday and it's neat just to look at.

I'm not sure games would help me, in games heights don't bother me, or flying.  I guess because in a game I can just reset of something goes wrong, real life has no reset button.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 11:27:09 AM »
Moths. An experience which involved a giant moth with a 6 inch wingspan scarred me for life.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 11:51:59 AM »
The Preying Mantis is my personal phobia because the head looks like the head of what Aliens are supposed to look like.  Kill them all!  They're always on the window screen, peering into your house...just freaky.  I hate them so much, i wrote a short story about them.  Won a prize too, but thats neither here nor there....  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 12:31:07 PM »
I'm not afraid of much. . . for heights I'm careful, but not paranoid.  I'm cautious around bugs, because they are potentially painful, but they don't bother me much.  In fact, I'm rather dumb about that.  Once, I felt something on my hand, so I shook it.  Look down, a yellow jacket stings me.  About ten seconds later, same feeling, same reaction.  Me idiot.

I'm a little paranoid about something pulling me into the darkness. . . I once had a dream, only one I've ever woken from afraid.  May as well describe it:

I'm sitting in my sister's room, which at the time was adjacent to my parents' room. Their door is open, and it is pitch black inside. I'm at the side of my sister's bed, on the floor, and she's perched on top of it, playing with her Barbie dolls. My parents are in the kitchen, two rooms away but still visible.
Something emerges from my parents' room. It's simply arms. . . two arms connected together, but lacking a body or anything else. It grabs me by the legs and drags me, kicking and screaming, into the darkness. My sister and parents ignore me completely, they just go about their business. The arms pull me into the darkness. . . I could see myself, my hands reaching forward, trying to grab for something, till the very end.
The freakiest part of the dream was the detail. I could see the texture of my parents' carpet, and I can remember every detail vividly.  I was about 10 or 11 when I had that dream.

I'm cautious around other things, too, but I'm generally a pretty courageous guy
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 12:50:36 PM »
Fun fact: I've never seen a Preying Mantis EVER in my entire life.  They don't live in BC.

Interesting that you have a phobia of Mantises because they remind you of something else.  I've always been rather freaked of the concept of beings from another planet visiting Earth and interacting with me in someway.  But I've never seen one and I don't spend my time worried about it so I wouldn't consider it a phobia.  Plus it would be pretty normal to pee your pants and scream like a little girl if an alien was outside your window.  I'm also afraid of ghosts but again since that's a supernatural occurance that I don't encounter everyday (though I think I have encountered one at least once) I wouldn't really call it a phobia.

Offline The Blue Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 12:51:42 PM »
im not scared of much.  except popples that is. popples is possibly the most potentially scary thing on Earth.
*shuddering*
"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
David Letterman.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 12:55:02 PM »
Ghosts freak me out a bit, but I don't think I'd be afraid if I ever actually saw one.  Same with aliens.  I'd just be like, "Whoa, cool." And go on Ripley's Believe It Or Not or something
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 01:28:45 PM »
I don't really care to elaborate unless someone asks, but I've seen the ghost of my mom's pet chihuahua twice...Yeah, it's weird, but it's the truth...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 01:35:22 PM »

I don't really care to elaborate unless someone asks, but I've seen the ghost of my mom's pet chihuahua twice...Yeah, it's weird, but it's the truth...

That happened when i was younger.  Our dog died of old age, but we still heard him dragging his leash in the middle of the night, like he wanted a walk.  Thats actually a pretty common occurrence, believe it or not.

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 02:07:41 PM »
The only real fear I have that I encounter often is having rubber bands aimed at me. I know no one wants a speeding band of rubber lodged in their eyeball, but I freak out, even if someone acts like they're going to do it. I'll flinch, turn my head, and put up my hands, pleading with the person to drop the weapon. My friends all take advantage of it, too- half my school day is generally spent in fear of going blind due to flinging rubberbands. It scares the hell out of me.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2003, 03:16:01 PM »
Arachnaphobia. I am scared SHITLESS of spiders. Their eight legs and eight eyes. No room for their brain you know. And all that hair... *shudders* UNCLEAN!
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2003, 03:40:19 PM »
Rickaphobia- the fear of being brutally banned by Rick.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2003, 03:45:51 PM »
Don't worry, manunited, Rick is just a myth, no one's ever ACTUALLY been banned by him. You have absolutely nothing to worry abo-
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2003, 03:50:03 PM »
I have two phobias.

Needles - Got I hate the sight of these blasted infernal contraptions made to torture us.  I skip all immunizations I possibly can.  I would rather die of the plague than be stuck with a needle.

People - Especially people that I really like.  Talking to real people is like a big ass chore for me.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2003, 03:54:28 PM »
I hate needles, to, but I've found the anticipation of getting a shot is worse than the actual shot itself. I still hate them with every fiber of my being, though.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2003, 04:06:56 PM »
meh...shots aren't that bad....

I don't think I have any real fears.  Yes, in pitch black I get a little freaked, but it's not that bad.  My bad dreams aren't like HC's, (holy crap your dreams was freaky), but mostly stupid stuff happens that I get REALLY scared of.  Like, one time I had a dream where a toy dog fell on the ground and started barking, and I woke up in a sweat.  WEIRD.

Yeah, so no real phobias that I know of.  (actually, there is something that REALLY scares me when it happens, but I can never remember it.  guess it can't be that bad.  i'll try to think of it.)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2003, 04:21:01 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
The only real fear I have that I encounter often is having rubber bands aimed at me. I know no one wants a speeding band of rubber lodged in their eyeball, but I freak out, even if someone acts like they're going to do it. I'll flinch, turn my head, and put up my hands, pleading with the person to drop the weapon. My friends all take advantage of it, too- half my school day is generally spent in fear of going blind due to flinging rubberbands. It scares the hell out of me.

Aye, one of my friends in primary school got struck in the eye by a rubber band, it stuffed him up real bad. He lost all vision in his left eye, and moved school a month later. Never saw him again. The arsehole kid that flinged it at him was expelled.. Which wasn't enough in my opinion..

Annnnywaay, I have a massive fear of spiders. I was biten by a white tail spider at the age of six (the bite swelled up to the size of a tennis ball on my leg, had to get it lanced). Still have a small-ish scar on my leg from it. Also, when we had a pool, I used to clean the filter. One day I reached in to pull it out, and had a freakin' red back spider leap onto my arm. They're only one of the most deadly spiders in the world. I screamed like a little girl and leaped into the pool, which was pretty stupid. Hopefully it drowned or something...

Pluuuuuuus, in English class once, a few students noticed there was massive spider sitting in the corner on the ceiling. The teacher told us to ignore it, and I tried, until it landed on my shoulder. ANOTHER SPAZ ATTACK! I packed my bags and went home after it fell to the floor and I crushed it many times with a chair leg. Home is safe! =o

I also fear the Dentist... But.. Who doesn't?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2003, 04:28:04 PM »
The dentist has RUBBER HANDS!!!  *shudders*

I've gots to go to the dentist tommarrow (<-- a'ight, i just can't spell that word).

Pretty horrible 'bout themz spidah'z tho....

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2003, 04:40:32 PM »
Bugs in general really get to me.  We had a slug get into our house somehow.  It completely freaked me out.  I couldn't bring myself to get too near it.  I ended up putting a cup over it and making my husband take it outside when he got home.  

As far as true phobias go, however, I would say mine is poverty.  I am constantly scared that we are going to go broke and wind up living in a box.  Worse yet, with my mother-in-law.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2003, 04:45:06 PM »
Bees used to scare me.  But they don't anymore because once during math class, a yeller jecket flew onto my nose.  Everyone around me was screaming, but I kept my cool, yo.  I didn't want to go running around like screaming like Infernal Donkey over here (), so I just sat there, and the bee went on it's way.  Don't care about bees anymore.

Moths kinda get to me, but not too much.  But if I EVER saw a NOT CAGED MOTH with a 6 INCH WINGSPAN i would FAINT.  It's very simple, really.  I moth that big would scare even........my daddy!  And he's not 'fraid of anything! hehe....