Author Topic: WW not holy enough? What?  (Read 9962 times)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
WW not holy enough? What?
« on: August 29, 2003, 01:30:04 PM »
This is sick, just sick.  I have no problem with Christians (I believe something almost vaguely similar to what they believe) but this is just idiotic.  If you can't play a frikkin video game without doubting your ability to keep your faith, you are pathetic, and certainly don't really believe in anything.  You're just a coward using religion as a shield:

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2003/windwaker.html

Most of the Gamecube reviews in there are pretty fair and decent (read MP, SFA, SSBM, and SMS), but this one is just ridiculous.  What kind of idiot likes a game, but brings it back to the store because the Great Fairies are vaugely remiscent of Shiva?  Anyway, try reading the article and telling your take on this. . .
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: WW not holy enough? What?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 01:52:11 PM »
Heh.  I have seen that site before, and I have already mocked the hell out of it.  Frankly, I am tired of such blatant stupidity.  I know that theological discussions are prohibited on these boards, but I MUST say that it's because of people like this that I am such a devout atheist/religion basher.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
RE:WW not holy enough? What?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 02:04:50 PM »
This is completely ridiculous.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 02:23:11 PM »
This is very funny.  I never knew there were picky religious gaming fanatics out there.  At least the reviewer gave it a fair review in terms of gameplay and in certain aspects story.  I guess the reviewer needs more of an imagination and tolerance.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 02:33:42 PM »

For those that think a 2 is too harsh, I would have given this a 1 except for the fact that I felt this game didn't deserve to be placed in the ranks of Diablo and Grand Theft Auto III. If it weren't for the praying bit, I'd have given this a 3 and would probably still have the game.

That just takes the cake.  I'm catholic, although non-practicing.  I dont find anything wrong with ANY of these games mentioned.  They're entertainment.  Don't like it?  Don't buy it.  I can let him slide a little on GTA, but even that is stretching it.
It's just more of the norm-these people have no idea about real life, just fantasy worlds.  My friend is just like that, and we have arguments all the time.   Just forget it, you cant win.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 02:50:59 PM »
why do i get the picture of a deep south bible belt guy going 'LINK IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN-AH!' etc, someone needs to interveiw god and ask him (or her?) stance on video games in general

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 02:59:37 PM »
according to that web site if you play any kind of rpg then you go to hell mostly because of the use of magic
well hopefully hell is nice.......
i call the big one bitey.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 03:16:57 PM »
hahah i guess your screwed RPGlover oh wait, so am i :\ i spose likeing harry potter will cause my eternal damnation aswell, ohwell, these things happen

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 04:10:45 PM »
Well, given that I haven't been flamed to oblivion yet for my take on this, I would like to point you all towards this cartoon that states a similar point of view to my own.

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 04:57:18 PM »
As a Christian myself, I must say that people like that "reviewer" give us a bad name. Whining about the fairies having four arms? That's just idiotic. Or thinking that the bosses' deaths will influence the kids? This person probably thinks all kids should be sheltered from everything. And complaining about how this game has a made-up religion. There is nothing wrong with reading about, or making up, other gods for such a purpose. Maybe this person thinks that everyone believes everything they read.
If the graphics are bad, I'll ignore them.
If the style's been used before, I won't care. I don't get sick of styles.
If the story is weak, I'll make up my own.
I only care about gameplay.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 05:11:08 PM »
I am a non-practicing christian.  Zelda is great.  I'm going to burn in hell.

Did you guys click the "DO NOT CLICK" link?  Haha, it sas that we gave into tempation like Adam and Eve and other stuff, I went like this "Ha!"
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 06:45:49 PM »
Unless you are worshipping the deities in the game, then there should be no reason for complaint.  And I haven't seen any stories of which this is the case.  Therefore...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 07:06:09 PM »
For what it's worth, i though it was a pretty good review. My complaints were that it lacked depth in explaining the game as a whole, specifically gameplay. Regarding the Christian elements of the review, well, as i see it, Christianity to most is very subjective. Even among the various denominations, its followers each have their own take on what's allowed or not within its confines. My mom wouldn't let me play RPGs as a kid, partially because of the use of spirits and magic and partially because of the highly-publicized D&D cults from years previous. i never played an RPG until Final Fantasy 7 (which i got with my used Playstation). Part of the reason i don't practice Christianity today.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2003, 08:47:25 PM »
Pffft. Anyone here know Hanninger.de.vu? Now THAT is a good spoof. Well, I hope it's a spoof...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2003, 10:54:12 PM »
The Great Fairies are more reminiscent of insects than Shiva, or Kali, or whoever.  In fact, the great fairies don't even have legs.  And the tiny fairies are so damn adorable, and the fairy queen is cute and pretty normal looking too.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2003, 03:27:09 AM »
I have to live with this sorta thing everytime we have a family get-together.
I'm christian ( i didn't put it in capital letters! Off to hell i go!), but i seriously can't be arsed going to church every sunday (or saturday night). I have to cause mum makes me.

I think this guy is taking games TOO seriously. Dissing Zelda for it's 'sinful content', but praising games like GTA3 is taking it a bit too far.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2003, 04:01:04 AM »
Termin8: He didn't actually praise GTA3, because he said

For those that think a 2 is too harsh, I would have given this a 1 except for the fact that I felt this game didn't deserve to be placed in the ranks of Diablo and Grand Theft Auto III.

He's referring to the Christian Rating, which means a lower rating is more anti-Christ or something. So he's putting it above Diablo and GTA3.

As for religion, I'm the skeptic/religious basher. I hear a whole heap of Christianity stuff from friends who are in church, and I've listened, but it doesn't add up. They say it gives answers, but after five years at a religious school, it still left questions.

Funny story, we had a week of Christian lectures with weird names, such as "Religion Sux", "Bad People Go To Heaven", and "He Knows Where You Live", at Uni a week or so ago. Now I steered way clear of these, but a friend of mine who went told me a funny story.
At the lecture of "Bad People Go To Heaven," the people showed a video of people answering questions. One question came up, "Who do you think goes to heaven?" and this was one of the responses...

"Ummm, everyone. Except those people with the shifty eyes."

Ah well. I hope there's a thermostat in hell.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2003, 04:43:49 AM »
grey:  i have never see the grim reaper before- it was pretty funny- lucifer airlines.....i personally like the hindus- "you will be coming back as david hasselhoff's son, and you will be a left testicle" very amusing stuff
i too am a christian- i just havent been to mass for so long though- i believe in the morals and the values that they have when they say mass, its just that i dont like mass that much- i know that sounds bad, but i just dont like the way mass is structured- it is the same thing every week- but that is just how i feel
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2003, 06:07:55 AM »
Isn't discussing religion against the forum rules?  Not that I'm offended or anything, I just think its funny that this hasn't been moderated or anything yet...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 06:28:46 AM »
I remember a group like this one. They tried to keep harry potter out of schools because harry potter was unchristian, and it could 'pull their kids away from god's only good religion'.

All I have to say for people like that is: Mr ___, at no point during your rambelling responce, was there anything that resembled a logical answer...., I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 02:35:33 PM »
I believe in something. . . I go to an Episcopal Church, but it doesn't resemble my beliefs, really.  I believe in a God type thing that made us, because I can feel it when I walk around and laugh and even when I hurt myself.  Not because I read some book.  I also believe in something like Jesus as well, but that bit's very confusing even to me because I believe in a comic character called Jeezus as much as I believe in the real Jesus.

I don't like ultra religious "God will strike you down if you have fun" bastards, but I dislike religion-bashers just as much, so avoid doing that.  You can attack an individual person in a religion for his beliefs, but you have no right to attack the concept, because it's no more or less reasonable than whatever you believe in.  And that's coming from a neutral standpoint.  So I despise this guy, but saying Christianity is stupid is dumb.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 03:41:19 PM »
I believe individual establishments like churches, regardless of the demomination, are good for the community and provide a great place for people to get together. However, to me religion is just a concept left over from the stone age when science didn't exist that's only still around because people are brought up to believe only what's they're told to believe and never to doubt it- not only that, but it ends up dictating their life and they never get to enjoy anything. I think, if given the choice, most people would either be agnostics or atheists. If there is a god, don't you think he'd want you to enjoy your life rather than squander it worshipping him? And if not, do you really want to be worshipping a selfish god? I respect people's individual decisions as to whether or not there is a god, and I admire their ability to choose one or the other, but millions upon millions of people have died because of religion- I honestly don't see how anyone can call that "good".

Regardless, these are my views alone and I don't want to start a flame war or even a debate- I might even get banned for discussing an off-limits topic.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2003, 04:29:33 PM »
i have a line from a song that fits my stance on religion in general "i might agree with jesus but i've got no religious beliefs" , the song is by an australian group called TISM and the song is called "i might be a c**t but im not a f*****g c**t" if anyone wants to hear it im more than happy to give it to you

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2003, 05:35:06 AM »
I am probably even in more danger of getting banned than Mouse Clicker, as I have already been given my first and only warning by Rick, but I am just going to add my bit here.

I am an atheist/agnostic.  I say both, because I allow for a possiblity of there actually being a God, but my magic 8 ball says that all signs point to no, making me effectively an atheist, and in a theological debate, I will always side with the atheists.

My main reason for hating religions is that they don't encourage enlightenment.  Religions tell you exactly what's what, and don't allow for any departure from what they tell you.  What they tell you is the "truth", and if you disbelieve them, you are a sinner and stand a good chance of going to hell for that.  If I go to hell for that, then I don't want to go to heaven.  Every astoundingly intelligent man in history it seems has been attacked by the Church.  Galileo, Copernicus, Darwin, Newton, and the list goes on and on.  The majority of wars and acts of genocide in the world have been brought on by intense religious beliefs.  Almost EVERYONE will attack religions.  The difference between an atheist and a theist is simple.  The theist will attack all religions that aren't his own, and will sometimes kill to protect his god and beliefs.  The atheist will attack them all, but I have yet to see a case where an atheist would kill to protect his belief.

I just have a problem with religions because they brainwash their followers with a bunch of BELIEFS that they are expected to treat as fact.  I don't think this is healthy considering the side effects that are all too common.  Ask any fundamentalist Christian about Darwin for a case example of what I am talking about.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2003, 08:56:41 AM »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
What he said.

I especially agree with this quote:
"I am an atheist/agnostic. I say both, because I allow for a possiblity of there actually being a God, but my magic 8 ball says that all signs point to no, making me effectively an atheist, and in a theological debate, I will always side with the atheists."
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill