Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Spider-Man: Respect the Hyphen)  (Read 32093 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• McNasty was taken :(
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Spider-Man: Respect the Hyphen)
« Reply #275 on: July 04, 2019, 10:38:16 PM »
I wonder if the JK Simmons appearance indicates that we might have some crossover with the Raimi movies?  I suspect not though.  I imagine it was more of a "everyone loves JK's JJ so let's get him back".

Since Peter still has Edith I imagine he'll have something at his disposal to discredit the video.  Of course, the one bit of the video that was real was his name so there'll always be a risk that it could get out even if they do manage to patch this one.  But it was still an unexpected event regardless.

I picked the skrulls still being on earth as soon as the credits rolled to Cap Marvel so I'm pleased I was right about that.  We still very much have an opening for Secret Invasion.  But yeah, the big question is when did this exchange happen.  Have we actually had a real Nick Fury or is this the first time we've seen him?  Also, what about Maria Hill?  Where is she at?  Has she been a skrull since Avengers or did it happen afterwards.

You have to hand it to Marvel.  They were likely expecting a modest amount of their viewers to check out after the Infinity Saga but dropping some curve balls like that is one hell of a way to keep you invested.

Offline Adrock

• iWatch? Here we go again.
  • Score: 118
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2019, 04:05:49 PM »
I accidentally clicked into the wrong thread. I’d blame fat fingers except I have tiny, baby hands. I regret everything.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• by day. BlackNWild by night!
  • Score: 402
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »
I accidentally clicked into the wrong thread. I’d blame fat fingers except I have tiny, baby hands. I regret everything.

Mysterio is a bad guy - he used to work for Tony Stark - using "B.A.R.F." tech to create his deceptions/illusions
The multi-verse may be a real thing, but it's a bullshit story from Mysterio in this movie used to fool everyone
Nick Fury wasn't actually Nick Fury.... it was actually Talos (the shape shifting Skrull from Capt. Marvel) - Same with the other agent... both Skrulls.
The Real Nick Fury is actually off-world creating the SWORD space station (I think)

JK Simmons is back as J. Jonah Jameson and appears on the NY Outdoor TV Billboard to out Peter Parker as Spider-man, and Spider-man as a crazed killer "hero"

and Tony is a jerk. He leaves Peter a gift, and named in a way that was way too funny.
EDITH - Even Dead, I'm The Hero.
asshole. LOL

now just be glad you clicked in early and only read about the post credits scenes. We haven't actually discussed much of the movie yet. LOL
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:05:51 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• iWatch? Here we go again.
  • Score: 118
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 06, 2019, 04:07:47 PM »
now just be glad you clicked in early and only read about the post credits scenes. We haven't actually discussed much of the movie yet. LOL
When I saw you responded, I clicked back into this thread expecting you to make fun of me then I read the first line of your post and promptly punched the Back button. Luckily, I didn't remember the B.A.R.F. connection from Captain America: Civil War.

That said, the way Spider-Man: Far From Home connects with the MCU is one of my favorite things about it. That exposition dump scene where Quentin Beck reveals his evil plan would normally feel extremely lazy, but retconning Beck into Civil War and having Peter Billingsley reprise his role as that one Stark scientist Obadiah Stane yells at in Iron Man was just so good. At the same time, this is now the second Spider-Man villain that turned to the dark side after getting punked by Tony Stark. I'd really like them to move away from that in Spider-Man: Something Something Home Something. The mid-credits scene kind of sets that up. If they want to throw another curveball, stealth-cast Vincent D'Onofrio and have him reprise his role as Kingpin. I just can't buy into "IT'S ALL CONNECTED" until something like that happens. I know the Netflix shows are canceled. It doesn't matter.

Overall, Spider-Man: Far From Home is great. I think Zendaya's MJ is my favorite character in the Spider-Man bubble. A lot of people complained about Marvel changing Mary Jane Watson, but she kind of sucks as a character. I really like the direction Marvel/Zendaya took with MJ. They're also subverting what we expect. Jon Watts didn't even try to hide the fact that Zendaya is taller than Tom Holland which is refreshing to see in a movie. MJ freaking out while holding onto Spider-Man swinging around New York was also really great.

I also watched Spider-Man: Enter the Spider-Verse on Thursday. It's just a little bit better than Far From Home. I give it the edge for the visuals. I've never seen a CG movie with anywhere close to the same art direction. Olivia Octavius is also best-Doc Ock. Don't @ me. Semi-related: I want Hailee Steinfeld to be Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman in the MCU. She's actually younger than Tom Holland so she's in the same age range as the rest of the kids. Make it happen, please.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:09:54 PM by Adrock »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
My only complaint is the geography. I live in London. The events of Thor 2 and Far From Home happened 4 miles apart. The people who live there in that universe must really hate it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2019, 02:22:36 PM »
I just got back from seeing Far From Home and overall I thought the movie was solid. I liked how everything came together with Mysterio and how he was a pretty decent guy even though back in my head I knew this was Mysterio and he had to be a bad guy.  The sequences where Mysterio was messing with Peter and making him question things really got me in that type of mindset. Like what was real and it felt like a dream within a dream. 

The end credits with Fury and Hill were kinda a surprise. I am wondering how far back the switch happened with Fury and Talos. Also where is the real Hill?  Things to ponder.

I am interested in seeing how Peter is going to untangle that mid credits scene with that info being out there to the whole world.
Just a bundle of cuteness and fierceness.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.

Offline Stratos

• Happy Meal Promotional Toy Expert
  • Score: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
Finally got around to seeing it. Very fun film. Was tired of avoiding this thread for so long but glad I waited. JJJ being back is great. We have one more film for the MCU Spidey according to the deal with Sony, right? I'm worried about how Sony could muck it all up with their own side projects. Pretty much all of the other Marvel children have come home, so I'm hoping they find a way to permanently keep Spidey.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
They gotta convince Sony to sell Sony Pictures to Disney.
or that's gonna be some crazy negotiating for the Spider-Man contract extension talks....

Or Disney gonna have to play a little (disney/sony): yes/no yes/no yes/no no/yes no/yes Deal!/Deal! :)/wait a second... with Sony

Offline Stratos

• Happy Meal Promotional Toy Expert
  • Score: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »
Disney could always offer up some of the extra Fox properties in exchange if nothing else. Does Disney really need to own Simpsons or Aliens VS Predator?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2019, 02:05:18 AM »
hmmm there are probably some spy agent properties from the Fox side that could be a good trade to Sony for Spider- man.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
I scrolled through the list of Sony movie properties... Spider-Man is virtually their biggest grossing one.

Maybe Disney can give them Lucasfilm/Star Wars.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• Lose your cat so you don't have to eat it
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2019, 04:02:25 AM »
I dunno.  I don't want Disney to give up any of those Fox Properties.  Think about it the value Disney can give for Hulu and Disney+ because they have those properties.  Plus, Disney could easily find writers and directors that can build a universe and world around many of those franchises and make them compelling properties.

Offline nickmitch

• Some cunning linguist to help you distinguish what is proper English
  • Score: 72
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »
Disney would have to trade virtually all of the Fox properties before Sony would even consider it.  They'd have a better chance of buying Sony Pictures outright than stealing away Spider-Man.  I think more collaboration and possible universe integration with Venom and whatever else they want to build off is their best bet.  Sony knocked it out of the park with Into the Spider-Verse, so I think Disney/Marvel could offer up more franchises for animation (X-Men and F4 come to mind).
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
That's what I was saying earlier about Disney having to buy Sony Pictures, but maybe leasing them the rights to animated movies based on Marvel properties could be a fair trade off.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
I think that's a fair trade off.  An animated MCU could be great for the big screen.  I know Disney has a cartoon for Disney XD, but I think they can keep those universes separate without too much confusion.  Plus, if Disney keeps the streaming rights for D+, then that's just more content for the platform.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2019, 10:17:59 PM »
Well when Amy Pascal was running the show the price to buy Spider-man in the leaked e-mails was 6 billion. Which, is the same as what I'd figure it out to be. The approximate amount of money a good Spider-man series can make in a decade.

She had no idea what she was doing though. So, I don't know how that offer would be received now. Something of interest though is she is still a producer on the MCU Spider-man movies despite no longer being an executive at Sony.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:21:30 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2019, 06:28:21 AM »
10 year revenues is a common way of pricing a business, so that makes sense.  That number has to be through the ceiling now though.