Author Topic: People Need To Stop Bitching  (Read 95024 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: People Need To Stop Bitching
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
What we need is an Operation Rainbow, because a rainbow is what you get after Rainfall and Operation Rainfall was a huge success, so a similar thing wouldn't be a bad idea. Calling it Operation Rainbow also works well as the name because one of the target games is Captain Rainbow, so the name would work on two different levels.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm not saying that NoA made the right choice. I'm just saying that even though I may disagree with them, I respect that the decision is ultimately theirs to make.
I think they made the right choice as a business even if I really wanted the games as a fan.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
Wow.  Some people don't understand much about business.

If I have five employees and I can put them to work making red widgets that I'll sell 50 of, or black widgets I can sell 1,000 of, do my shareholders want me to make black widgets or red ones?

Sure, I can probably turn a profit off the red ones, but when investors found out, then I'd be out of a job.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »

If I have five employees and I can put them to work making red widgets that I'll sell 50 of, or black widgets I can sell 1,000 of, do my shareholders want me to make black widgets or red ones?

Sure, I can probably turn a profit off the red ones, but when investors found out, then I'd be out of a job.

The problem is that if all you make is generic black widgets, people get tired of them and their lack of ambition and stop buying them.  You need the variety of the red, blue, green, and yellow widgets to keep the market fresh.  There's good reason why, despite their insane sales numbers, Nintendo doesn't just make Mario Kart and 2D Mario games.  And, frankly, Nintendo makes enough of an insane amount of money on those sure-fire, painfully-bland hits that they can stand to take some risks every now and then on less-LCD titles that appeal to more specific audiences.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »

We're making them as fast as we can Uncle!

The problem is that if all you make is generic black widgets, people get tired of them and their lack of ambition and stop buying them.  You need the variety of the red, blue, green, and yellow widgets to keep the market fresh.  There's good reason why, despite their insane sales numbers, Nintendo doesn't just make Mario Kart and 2D Mario games.  And, frankly, Nintendo makes enough of an insane amount of money on those sure-fire, painfully-bland hits that they can stand to take some risks every now and then on less-LCD titles that appeal to more specific audiences.

Yes. I agree. MORE WII MUSIC!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
I think people read too much into Nintendo's reluctance to bring over Xenoblade and The Last Story. I think if those games had come out in 2008 Nintendo wouldn't have thought twice about releasing them here. Their hesitation now was based on a very different fiscal situation, where they were already losing money, and the shrinking market for that kind of game on the Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »
Yes. I agree. MORE WII MUSIC!!!

I was going to say this earlier, but there really didn't seem to be much point at the time: Yes, including more experiments like Wii Music.  My problem with that game wasn't that it existed, but that the execution was so lackluster.  It's an experience that probably could have been amazing if Nintendo was willing to be more ambitious than they were and added more features and more of a "music teaching" experience.  The kind of "free play" feel that the original game had would have been fine if there was simply more there for people who actually wanted to learn about music and wanted a deeper experience.  Plus, that game needed a much deeper song list than the dregs of public domain music.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
I thought "Happy Birthday" was a licenced song now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »

And they f*cking do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4D4YZQ9uY

Seriously, is there a reason some of you act like Project P-100 doesn't exist?  Yeah it being made by Kamiya and Platinum but Nintendo is funding the game and own the IP now.  Just because some of you hate NSMB and Wii Fit doesn't give you the right to ignore a new Nintendo IP being made by the greatest action designer in the industry.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
How did the antibitching thread turn into a bitching thread and about Captain Rainbow of all things?

I hoped to actually not have to read the endless bitching in a thread made to be against it but instead it has devolved into an argument about Captain Rainbow aka the game nobody outside of 3 people in this forum actually care comes out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
Make that 4 people.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
Seriously, is there a reason some of you act like Project P-100 doesn't exist?

Is there a reason why Nintendo acts like Project P-100 doesn't exist?  Look at how much faith Nintendo apparently has in that project: they couldn't even be bothered to mention that it exists in their big Wii U E3 press conference.  Instead, they devoted time to a pointless, year-old Batman: AA port that will probably sell even worse than Xenoblade and The Last Story and a reading of the g-damn Luigi's Mansion Nintendoland Mini-game Instruction Booklet.  Yeah, Nintendo's really going to be behind that game all the way.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »

Is there a reason why Nintendo acts like Project P-100 doesn't exist?  Look at how much faith Nintendo apparently has in that project: they couldn't even be bothered to mention that it exists in their big Wii U E3 press conference.  Instead, they devoted time to a pointless, year-old Batman: AA port that will probably sell even worse than Xenoblade and The Last Story and a reading of the g-damn Luigi's Mansion Nintendoland Mini-game Instruction Booklet.  Yeah, Nintendo's really going to be behind that game all the way.

Its not enough that Nintendo makes a game you want when there is nothing like it anywhere else, they need to make you feel good too by pretending it is hugely important compared to getting big third parties with graphics and their planned biggest title.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

Doesn't change the fact they're still funding and publishing the game.  Plus why should you care how much advertising they give it, it's still a Nintendo game you already know about anyway.  Since the whole argument you and others are making is Nintendo should release more niche titles and in this case they are releasing a more niche title from a famous developer.  Does the amount of advertising Nintendo gives their games effect your enjoyment of them now?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2012, 07:30:35 PM »
I don't think just because Nintendo didn't show P-100 at the Press Conference means they don't have faith in the game. They ARE paying millions of dollars developing it after all. AND they exclusively revealed it RIGHT AFTER the Press Conference to Spike TV, where it could be argued they believed was a more traditional gamer venue.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »

When people get tired of Black Widgets, then we'll talk.  Last I checked, Nintendo sells more widgets than most any other developer.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
*Sigh*

I'm googling Captain Rainbow now.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
I don't think just because Nintendo didn't show P-100 at the Press Conference means they don't have faith in the game. They ARE paying millions of dollars developing it after all. AND they exclusively revealed it RIGHT AFTER the Press Conference to Spike TV, where it could be argued they believed was a more traditional gamer venue.

Yeah, Nintendo took the move of making it an exclusive reveal on Spike to try and get more of an audience for it. I don't think it was a particularly good decision, especially given what they did show, but I wouldn't say they didn't have faith in it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
I just got back from an errand at the grocery store, and on my way back I decided to stop at my local GameStop and put down my $53 (including tax) pre-order on The Last Story (there's been so much coming out lately that I've been putting the pre-order off).

The following is a real conversation I just had with one of my local GameStop employees (a perky 20-something lady, if you want to know).  I swear I didn't make any of it up.

Clerk: "Hi! Welcome to GameStop!  How can I help you?"

Me: "I'd like to put a pre-order down on "The Last Story" for the Wii."

Clerk: "Did you want the Wii or Wii U version?"

Me: "It's only a Wii game."

Clerk: "Ah yes, I see."

Me: *I make an offhand derogatory comment about the Wii U.*

Clerk: "Actually, we were just talking a moment ago and maybe you can answer something for us: is the Wii U a peripheral for the Wii or its own console?"

Me: *sigh* "Well, that just about sums up Nintendo's awful E3 press conference, doesn't it?  It's its own console.  It's Nintendo's next system."

Clerk: "Really?  Why would they do that?  I love my Wii.  Just Dance is my favorite game."

*Clerk rings up my pre-order, and I leave...mentally shaking my head.*

Congratulations, Nintendo.  Even GameStop employees, it seems, don't yet understand what the Wii U is (and considering that CNN article everyone was talking about after the Press Conference, they're hardly the only ones).  Bravo.

Its not enough that Nintendo makes a game you want when there is nothing like it anywhere else, they need to make you feel good too by pretending it is hugely important compared to getting big third parties with graphics and their planned biggest title.

It's Nintendo's usual B.S.: release one of these games with no sign that Nintendo actually cares about the title, and then when it doesn't sell especially well they use it as an excuse to not release more niche titles people actually care about.  I can just imagine Project P-100 selling less-than-stellar numbers (I'm not going to buy it, even if I do buy a Wii U.  It looks like a Brawler, and those don't generally interest me) then turning to us and saying: "Sorry, but you guys didn't buy Project P-100, so we don't think you'll buy *insert AAA Nintendo niche game here* either."  Why not?  That's pretty much what happened with the Operation Rainfall titles after Metroid Other M and Sin & Punishment 2 sold below expectations.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:53:15 PM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »
That Clerk isn't a typical gamer. She's a casual gamer who managed to get a minimum wage job at a retail store. After saying that she loved Just Dance on her Wii, you honestly expected her to know ANYTHING about video games?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
That Clerk isn't a typical gamer. She's a casual gamer who managed to get a minimum wage job at a retail store. After saying that she loved Just Dance on her Wii, you honestly expected her to know ANYTHING about video games?

I expect the person whose job it will be to annoy me into pre-ordering a Wii U to know what the damn thing is, yes.  And considering that E3 press conference was geared specifically towards people like her and the big retailers like GameStop who train people like her, I found that experience rather unsettling (though hilarious in retrospect).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:01:15 PM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
Ah... how we've changed.  it seems like just yesterday, we had a whole thread devoted to how horrible GameStop is.  Now, their low-level employees are the barometer of the industry.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
It's at least a bit worrying that there's a possibility that people who don't know anything go into a store employed by people who also don't know anything assuming that the people they believe should know something but actually don't know anything actually know something and ask them questions. Did I do that right?

The last ridiculous thing that happened to me at GameStop was when, I believe, I went to preorder Xenoblade and one of the employees told the other employee that it was a sequel to Xenosaga. I didn't feel like talking to them so I just let him pretend he knew what he was talking about and didn't correct him. That said, it would help if the Wii U so clearly a new console that the entire scenario I mentioned in the previous paragraph would almost never happen at all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:25:28 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
It's at least a bit worrying that there's a possibility that people who don't know anything go into a store employed by people who also don't know anything assuming that the people they believe should know something but actually don't know anything actually know something and ask them questions. Did I do that right?

"So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time."  ;)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »

"So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time."  ;)

i used to work at gamestop, **** that place. They hired me and basically had me set up the place, and then when the place opened they never called me in, or put me on the schedule, i took advantage of my discount for a couple of months and then quit. They were too pussy to fire me. At least I would have known my ****. Especially at the time.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post