Author Topic: Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage  (Read 45898 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »

Make sure to have a spare USB hard drive handy. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30626

The Wii U will feature 8 gigabytes of flash storage, Time reports.

Although the included internal memory is somewhat limited, Nintendo does give gamers the option of expanding the memory via SD cards or by utilizing one of the USB ports on the Wii U to connect an external hard drive. No details were given as to whether this would be limited in any way. Microsoft, for example, also supports the option for USB based storage but limits the devices to only 16 GB. 

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
Better than nothing and more than enough space to hold all my transfered Wiiware and VC games.

Offline DarthBrady

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Well I find this disappointing. You'd think with all the work they spent fixing it after last year's E3 such as the Controllers, dual touch screen pad support, etc, that theiy would have taken a clue from succesful consoles released over a DECADE ago and added Native/Internal HDD support out of the box.

Just when I was getting excited, now I'm not as much. Good luck trying to win over existing Xbox and PS3 owners now Nintendo.

EPIC FAIL.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Well...not even 20gigs. I guess it's fine but it's hard to keep getting angry at Nintendo for every little thing that keeps popping up this week.

At least we won't have to deal with proprietary hard drives of costly transfer cables you only use once. I buy one hard drive for it and I'm set for the console's life.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Well, now we know how cheap Nintendo plans on being with the Wii U.  My Wii's SD card holds 8 GB of storage, and that cost me $20 3 or so years ago.  That is pathetic on Nintendo's part, and it makes me wonder how pathetically low their file size cap will be on Wii U.  This just reminds me of that scene in the original Austin Powers when Doctor Evil threatened the leaders of the modern world with a $1 million ransom, and everyone just starts laughing.  With downloadable games only growing larger, Nintendo had better be extremely flexible with their file size cap, or they will be just as ignored by (GOOD) digital developers as they were on the Wii.

Now, looking at it from another angle that is a whopping double the amount of storage as the 4 GB Arcade-model Xbox 360, and I have a feeling that's how Nintendo's looking at it.  Of course, Nintendo's not competing with the 360 or PS3 with the Wii U, but their successors and I'll be very surprised if either future console has less than 20-50 GB of storage by default.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:43:03 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Vahne

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
Well I find this disappointing. You'd think with all the work they spent fixing it after last year's E3 such as the Controllers, dual touch screen pad support, etc, that theiy would have taken a clue from succesful consoles released over a DECADE ago and added Native/Internal HDD support out of the box.

Just when I was getting excited, now I'm not as much. Good luck trying to win over existing Xbox and PS3 owners now Nintendo.

EPIC FAIL.

7 years is not a decade. 10 years is a decade. Over a decade means over 10 years. Learn English. You realize that Nintendo markets to different audiences. One audience wouldn't really care for that a lot of memory on a game system, remember the 4GB 360 model? If you care so much about storage, just buy a harddrive yourself instead of asking Nintendo to overprice the Wii U because you wanted them to add an HDD.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
I wasn't sure if this was confirmed when I read that Time article his morning.

8GB is pretty low. I wonder why Nintendo is so resistant to include a hard drive or even a bay if a user chooses to upgrade. How much would a 128GB HDD cost them to include?
7 years is not a decade. 10 years is a decade. Over a decade means over 10 years. Learn English.
I think he's talking about the original Xbox which came out in 2001.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:04:08 PM by Adrock »

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
Well, now we know how cheap Nintendo plans on being with the Wii U.  My Wii's SD card holds 8 GB of storage, and that cost me $20 3 or so years ago.  That is pathetic on Nintendo's part, and it makes me wonder how pathetically low their file size cap will be on Wii U.  This just reminds me of that scene in the original Austin Powers when Doctor Evil threatened the leaders of the modern world with a $1 million ransom, and everyone just starts laughing.  With downloadable games only growing larger, Nintendo had better be extremely flexible with their file size cap, or they will be just as ignored by (GOOD) digital developers as they were on the Wii.

Now, looking at it from another angle that is a whopping double the amount of storage as the 4 GB Arcade-model Xbox 360, and I have a feeling that's how Nintendo's looking at it.  Of course, Nintendo's not competing with the 360 or PS3 with the Wii U, but their successors and I'll be very surprised if either future console has less than 20-50 GB of storage by default.

3 years ago. Things are different now. I bought a 32 GB SD card for $30 for my 3DS. Now, even with low included memory, do you honestly think Nintendo would continue putting a low limit on downloadable titles? Look at the 3DS, do any of those games look like they put a size limit on them? Heck, Nintendo is going to put retail 3DS and Wii U games up for download. Do you still think there's a file size limit? Nintendo has done stupid things in the past, but don't be ignorant to what they are doing now. 8 GB will be fine for some people and should hold several games, especially since many games don't max out their storage medium at all. For those who want more memory for more stuff, there's expandable storage.

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »

8GB is pretty low. I wonder why Nintendo is so resistant to include a hard drive or even a bay if a user chooses to upgrade. How much would a 128GB HDD cost them to include?
7 years is not a decade. 10 years is a decade. Over a decade means over 10 years. Learn English.
I think he's talking about the original Xbox which came out in 2001.

Hmm, oh that. For some reason I tend to forget that the Xbox had any internal storage. I do apologize to him if that's what he meant, however I still meant the rest of what I said.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »

Console Size, Licensing cost, Power Requirements, and Customer Service obligations.  I'll bet those 8gb of Flash are put directly onto the motherboard.  That way they wouldn't have to pay the licensing fee for Sata (Which has to be tiny per unit, but that is besides the point) or have that particular controller chip.  Can know the max draw of every component and put in the optimally priced power supply that is able to keep up with that.  It just simplify design.  We still haven't heard it will play back DVD or Blu-Ray and thats Licensing cost again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:12:23 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline C-Olimar

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
I don't get what the huge problem is. Most casual gamers (Nintendo's main audience for this console) will never fill up their Wii U's memory, while the rest of us can expand the memory through external hardrives, USBs and SD Cards.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
3 years ago. Things are different now. I bought a 32 GB SD card for $30 for my 3DS.

I'm sorry, but was that supposed to be disagreeing with me?   :confused;

Now, even with low included memory, do you honestly think Nintendo would continue putting a low limit on downloadable titles?

Yes, I do.  All the platform-holders have file size caps of some sort.  They just tend to be so high that we never hear developers complain about it.

Doing the math, actually, Nintendo infamously had a 40 MB cap on downloads for (according to Wikipedia) the Wii's 512 MB of flash memory.  That's 7.8% of the total space.  If Nintendo follows this trend, I estimate their cap would be somewhere around 625 MB on the Wii U.

Nintendo has done stupid things in the past

And judging by this week, they're prepared to do plenty of stupid things now.  Yeah yeah...I know.  Cheap shot.  But this just seems like the same Nintendo we had with the Wii years.  They put on the pretense of change, but then make the same mistakes.

8 GB will be fine for some people and should hold several games, especially since many games don't max out their storage medium at all.

OK, let's put this in context a bit.  The average size of the downloadable games I buy these days on my PS3 is roughly around 1.2 GB in size.  Yesterday, I downloaded my PS+ freebie "Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One" PS3 retail title, and it was 14 GB in size.  The average size of my PS3 downloadable retail titles is about 4-6 GB.  And most on-disc titles on my PS3 take up at least a couple of Gigs of space when they install, though considering installing is optional on the 360 it will probably be here as well.

So no, you won't be downloading retail titles with this incredibly low amount of storage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:27:20 PM by broodwars »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
i dont see a reason to put a file size limit, i think it will be if your out of space "**** you, you have options"

the wii didnt have an unlimited option, so a file size limit was mandated. I've had a TB hard-drive for 3.5 years and it only cost me 100 dollars when i bought it. sd cards are getting pretty big too.

Not everyone is going to use up the hd, its better to give people the option to get their own hd rather than make the system more expensive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:30:08 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
Console Size, Licensing cost, Power Requirements, and Customer Service obligations.  I'll bet those 8gb of Flash are put directly onto the motherboard.  That way they wouldn't have to pay the licensing fee for Sata (Which has to be tiny per unit, but that is besides the point) or have that particular controller chip.  Can know the max draw of every component and put in the optimally priced power supply that is able to keep up with that.  It just simplify design.  We still haven't heard it will play back DVD or Blu-Ray and thats Licensing cost again.
I said "I wonder why..." rhetorically. I know why based on how they've typically have done business. I just don't think they're very good reasons.

Also, Nintendo said Wii U wouldn't play DVDs or Blu Ray last year.
I don't get what the huge problem is. Most casual gamers (Nintendo's main audience for this console) will never fill up their Wii U's memory, while the rest of us can expand the memory through external hardrives, USBs and SD Cards.
Not a huge problem. It just suggests that Nintendo isn't taking core gaming as seriously as they should. The hard drive is optional. That sends a big message to 3rd parties who make a ton of profits off of DLC. Sure, casual gamers won't fill that space. They also wouldn't care/know it was there. So, it doesn't hurt them but it potentially hurts others, namely 3rd parties. Nintendo is unnecessarily intentionally handicapping their own hardware again. It won't kill them, but it's another one of those it's-better-to-have-than-not-have scenarios.

I'll probably never need larger storage. I'm just explaining the line of thinking as I understand it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:30:38 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
i dont see a reason to put a file size limit, i think it will be if your out of space "**** you, you have options"

That would be fine, but we had the option (eventually) to expand our storage with SD cards on the Wii, and Nintendo never removed or raised that 40 MB limit (despite the "casuals" not being the ones who downloaded Virtual Console/WiiWare titles).  We can argue about the size of the cap, but I guarantee you that there will be one just like there is on the other HD consoles.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
but the wii u is different than the wii. Out of the gate it has the unlimited size option. Theres no difference between a console with 1tb built in and a console with 8gb built in and an external hard drive of undefined space
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:33:26 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
Not sure if this is good or bad news.

I don't want a download-only or DLC-dominated future, I don't want tons of mandatory installs and patches to get software working that should run out of the box, I don't want my console to be a PC-lite experience.  So not having a huge hard drive isn't really that bad in a lot of ways.

Except, of course, for the fact that developers want a consistent set of features they can count on for cross-platform development.  Wii U having such limited internal storage will affect gamers when developers choose to ignore the system for major releases that use large chunks of disc space in other consoles.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
The 360 developer eventually started to go "You don't have a Hard Drive go home"  Nintendo storage Strategy is the 360 Storage strategy minus the Brand Specific Drive requirement.  Unfortunately we all know that its going to be the PS3 strategy next generation.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »
I don't want a download-only or DLC-dominated future, I don't want tons of mandatory installs and patches to get software working that should run out of the box, I don't want my console to be a PC-lite experience.  So not having a huge hard drive isn't really that bad in a lot of ways.

+100

If you want more space for other stuff you just plug in a harddrive.  It's better than capping file sizes or making you buy over-priced proprietary storage (*cough*vita*cough*).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »
propriety storage needs to be going the way of the dodo. Which is why i think its GOOD that nintendo gives you the option to get your own storage rather than requiring you to by storage with the console.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
along with USB thumbdrives, i'm hoping they'll support actually USB hard drives.  I have a 40 gig one i'm not using that would work.  You can get a good size one at the store for around $50 - $60
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
I'm not sure that Nintendo will have a filesize limit since they've said that they'll be launching a lot/most/all of their first party games going forward on through both retail AND digital distribution.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
Gimped storage seems to be the trend and hey, Apple is making a killing with it.

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
Better than the 512 MBs the Wii had.

Offline abe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »
Nintendo should trademark dissapointment