Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 417757 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #850 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
It doesn't make sense because it makes Nintendo look weak and easily bullied into taking a sucker's deal. Giving third parties a larger cut makes sense. Be competitive, but 90% is way too high.

I suppose a deal on older releases may be fair as long as it brought newer titles to Wii U. For example, Konami would get 90% on a Metal Gear Solid 4 release on Wii U, but they have to commit to releasing Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain on Wii U and for a comparable cut they get from Microsoft and Sony. Maybe Nintendo surrenders 5%-10% more to sweeten the deal. I just don't see handing out 90% for everything to be a good idea.
Personally I do it the other way give the 90% on the new game and take a larger percent on the required old game.  That give's them a clear incentive to put the new game on the platform no matter how the old game did.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
It does, but 90% is too high. It sets such a bad precendent. Third parties are going to think, "We can just withhold our games until Nintendo gives us the ridiculous cut we want." Giving a slighty higher percentage on a new game than both Microsoft and Sony do on top of 90% on older ports may even push the limits of acceptability. Nintendo can support their hardware on their own. They know it and third parties know it. Getting third parties on board stands to benefit both of them so an agreement that benefits both is fair. Nintendo taking a smaller cut is the extra incentive. Nintendo cannot give such a steep cut to third parties. It would make them look desperate. I don't think they're at that point. When Nintendo themselves releases games, console sales are no where near as bad as they've been the past few months.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
Well the Industry standard is that Devs get 70% so 90 wouldn't be that big of a stretch.
There's a good chance Microsoft will adopt on Xbox Live what's it has been doing with the windows Phone and Windows store. Developers get the standard 7% percent cut but once their product hits a $25,000 sales threshold they get 805 of the sales from than on.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39001/Windows_App_Store_Offers_Up_To_80_Cut_For_Developers.php

But if were just talking getting more indie developers than I think Nintendo could offer to publish as well as try things such as Incubation programs and funds for indie devs.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 01, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »
Yeah, don't listen to the armchair executives that know nothing about the bottom line and running a billion dollar business
If Nintendo where to give a 90% cut, they may as well give the whole 100%.

Then they might as well just go 3rd party, because that's the only way they were gonna make money outside of their own releases.

It sounds good from a Nintendo only consumer stand point, but only in the extremely short term.

maybe if Nintendo did a deal for a relatively high percentage on first week sales, then a sliding scale the longer the game is in the market. But 90% it's way to high.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:57:17 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
Would it be worth it for Nintendo to introduce an "Only on..." program, where eShop exclusive titles get a higher cut of the profits?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »
Would it be worth it for Nintendo to introduce an "Only on..." program, where eShop exclusive titles get a higher cut of the profits?
It could work for developers who want to get their games on all platforms but only have enough resources for one platform. It would also reinforce the relationships Nintendo already has. Than you have to get into what type of exclusive would the game be. Timed or Forever and does having a PC version count against it.
If Nintendo had better marketing they could throw in a program where high selling eshop games get out into the next television advert.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Assisted marketing for Nintendo exclusives, or games with Nintendo exclusive features/DLC would probably be the route worth exploring, not that Nintendo couldn't afford to give a larger cut of the pie, but I don't see that being their first choice of action.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 01, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Assisted marketing for Nintendo exclusives, or games with Nintendo exclusive features/DLC would probably be the route worth exploring, not that Nintendo couldn't afford to give a larger cut of the pie, but I don't see that being their first choice of action.
A few things I could see
-Have a high Profile indie on stage for E3
-An all indie game Nintendo direct.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Miyamoto removed whats cool about original Star Fox
« Reply #858 on: April 01, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
Meant to post this a while ago.

Talks about the original developer behind Star Fox and their ideas. It talks about how Miyamoto removed what was cool about it. In my opinion for the better. It's worth a click.

[size=78%]http://www.edge-online.com/news/gdc-2013-how-starglider-2-became-starfox/[/size]
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:57 AM »
Has this been posted yet?
https://twitter.com/qubegame/status/323105141161070593

Q.U.B.E. is coming to Wii U:

Looks inspired by Portal in a way. More Indie games is always welcome though.
Just hope the price is right. I might give it a shot.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 15, 2013, 02:57:16 AM »
so portal meets minecraft?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 15, 2013, 05:50:00 AM »
UnEpic also apparently is coming to Wii U:

CGR Undertow review (bad reviewer warning though)

I'm kinda sorta interested. RPG and, again, Metroidvania elements look interesting. Pop culture references look offputting though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
UnEpic also apparently is coming to Wii U:

CGR Undertow review (bad reviewer warning though)

I'm kinda sorta interested. RPG and, again, Metroidvania elements look interesting. Pop culture references look offputting though.

I fucking hate CGR undertow. I wish they get rid of the other shows and just focus on Mark's main channel.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 15, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »
I fucking hate CGR undertow.
I like Undertow's TJ. He's a cool dude.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
No FIFA 2014 on Wii U apparently

No one is surprised. No one. Thanks again, EA.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
Assisted marketing for Nintendo exclusives, or games with Nintendo exclusive features/DLC would probably be the route worth exploring, not that Nintendo couldn't afford to give a larger cut of the pie, but I don't see that being their first choice of
action.

I remember a few years ago when Nintendo had exclusive content in multiplatform games (Soul Calibur 2 had Link, and EA Sports used Mario characters). Maybe Nintendo can do that again, give developers more incentives for including these exclusive features.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
Assisted marketing for Nintendo exclusives, or games with Nintendo exclusive features/DLC would probably be the route worth exploring, not that Nintendo couldn't afford to give a larger cut of the pie, but I don't see that being their first choice of
action.

I remember a few years ago when Nintendo had exclusive content in multiplatform games (Soul Calibur 2 had Link, and EA Sports used Mario characters). Maybe Nintendo can do that again, give developers more incentives for including these exclusive features.

It is still happening to this day to sway over fickle Nintendo only guys. DOA for 3DS with Ridley and that Metroid stage, Tekken Tag 2, and probably Metal Gear on 3DS with them Yoshi's.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 17, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
DOA for 3DS with Ridley and that Metroid stage, Tekken Tag 2, and probably Metal Gear on 3DS with them Yoshi's.
Also these skins for some Dynasty Warriors game

and Nintendo characters in Scribblenauts Unlimited ;_;

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #868 on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
No FIFA 2014 on Wii U apparently

No one is surprised. No one. Thanks again, EA.

EA said additional platforms will be announced later. IIRC, last year the Wii U versions of Madden and FIFA were announced after the other versions too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 17, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
Like the article said, "additional platforms" probably means PS4 and Durango. If we're using last year's announcement as any indication, Wii U wasn't out yet when EA announced them at a later date. It could be the same with PS4/Durango. Why deliberately leave Wii U out of this announcement? I'd love to be wrong, but with EA's recent F Nintendo attitude, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 17, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
Like the article said, "additional platforms" probably means PS4 and Durango.
It's iOS and Android.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 23, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
Looks like another Indie Kickstarter is trying to come over to Wii U
Armikrog is a "claymation" looking game from the makers of Neverhood

Wii U is part of their stretch goal, but they have already officially signed on with Nintendo
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog/posts/518224

Here is the proposed Wii U exclusive features for the gamepad

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 23, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
Its being made by the creator of Earthworm Jim.I know PC is a open platform but I wonder if it would be smarter to have the consoles e the main goals for kickstarters.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 23, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
You would think that with free tools to work with, every Indie would atleast be adding Wii U to their target list. They only need to purchase the dev kit themselves, after that, Nintendo seems to be eager to assist where they can.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 23, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
Nintendo approaching them about putting their game on Wii U is encouraging.