Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 414079 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #825 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
I think you might be confusing the Wii U with the Wii. The Wii U doesn't have MegaMan, Kirby, Metroid, or a lot of sports games. You may be more suited to just a Wii (cheaper than buying a Wii U) or a 3DS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #826 on: March 25, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »
You can download all of those games on your Wii U though, and have access to even more games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 25, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
Hi I'm new here.. Wasn't sure where exactly to post this. I've been playing old NES roms on my pc and getting really attached to some of the characters. So much so that I'm looking into buying the Wii U. The last system I owned was the PS2. I like serious games but they've lost a little bit of the connection I had with them when I was younger... so Nintendo seems right up my alley, character driven, fun games.  The chance to download and play games on the Wii U is also a big draw as is the off tv gamepad..

I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to save up and buy a wii u  given my prefrences? I'm really getting into Mega man, Kirby, Metroid etc.. I'm not likely to buy another system so the only drawback I see potentially is missing out on some serious games like God of War.. I'm also unsure about the sports games on the Wii U..

Advice?
i do suggest having that PC running steam as a fallback of sorts

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 25, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
The Wii U has almost everything the Wii has so I no reason whatsoever to get a Wii over a Wii U at this point unless the cost difference is really worth it to you and the Wii U itself doesn't appeal to you and you don't think it has the potential to in the future.  Or Gamecube support is really important to you and even then you'll not find that on any new Wii you can buy at a store.

Since I'm taking a "wait and see" approach regarding the Wii U I would naturally suggest the same to anyone else on the fence.  Plus Sony and MS still have to release their new consoles and only then can we start to get an idea of what's going to be what with this gen.  Right now the Wii U is for people that want to play what the Wii U has going for it at this very moment or never had a Wii and want to catch up with Nintendo systems.  The rest of us can wait for price drops and more games to get released.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »
Still he might be better off with a WII (sub $50 used now) than an used wii u ($200-250) range.  The WII has GC BC and considering he skipped the GC/WII era he'll have plenty of backlogged titles to play.

You can get the mario series (Mario Sunshine (Gamecube), Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (WII), and the New Super Mario Bros (WII).  Don't forget Donkey Kong Ruturns (WII), Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Kirby Return to Dreamland.

For Metroid, buy Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (GC versions) and Metroid Prime 3(wii).  Can't recommend Metroid Other M though.

Might was well hold off on the WII U for now. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:55:00 PM by ymeegod »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
Still he might be better off with a WII (sub $50 used now) than an used wii u ($200-250) range.  The WII has GC BC and considering he skipped the GC/WII era he'll have plenty of backlogged titles to play.

You can get the mario series (Mario Sunshine (Gamecube), Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (WII), and the New Super Mario Bros (WII).  Don't forget Donkey Kong Ruturns (WII), Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Kirby Return to Dreamland.

For Metroid, buy Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (GC versions) and Metroid Prime 3(wii).  Can't recommend Metroid Other M though.

hows he gonna know the model he's getting has bc
meanwhile he can get a regular gamecube and gb player

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #831 on: March 25, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

hows he gonna know the model he's getting has bc
meanwhile he can get a regular gamecube and gb player

Its pretty easy since the gimped Wii looks different than the original Wii (hell, just looking at the Wii logo is enough. The original Wii is designed to be vertical, so the Wii logo is on the short side. The Wii Family Edition is designed to be horizontally flat, so the Wii logo is styled that way).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
didn't they like quietly remove the controller ports before that in late 09 or something
but even then a gamecube with a gameboy player can take the entire gb, gbc and gba library for a spin, and the gamecube also,
the wii u, as an owner myself, i would advise a wait and see approach imo.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #833 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
No, the controller ports were only removed when the Family Edition was released in late-2011 (and became the default model).

Offline Lazyking

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.. If I do buy the Wii u it's not gonna be next week... so I have a while to decide.. just looking at my options and seeing what's best for me. I want to be informed as possible. Hell, I might not buy another system again, just what Nintendo is doing and some of their franchises have really caught my eye.. after basically being out of gaming for awhile.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
So Nintendo is giving the Unity for Wii U dev tools alongside every Nintendo Wii U dev kit.
https://twitter.com/timfollowsyou
Going to be nice when we see a lot of these indie games start to come out.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #836 on: March 26, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
Yep, posted this is my thread about Nintedo's interview about working with indie debelopers. They are providing Unity Pro 4 to all licensed Wii U developers free of charge, which is nice because normally that tool costs $1,500.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 27, 2013, 05:47:06 AM »
That would be why a lot of Kickstarter games recently have been supporting Wii U as one of the platforms.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
New update in April is set to fix OS loading times, not sure if it's going fix in-game as well.  Exiting the game back to OS took 20ish seconds, now it's about 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmg_CNsQcc&feature=player_embedded

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 30, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
Here are some ways for Nintendo to boost Wii U sales:
  • Pull the normal Wii from retail shelves.
  • Discontinue the white basic model Wii U.
  • Cut the deluxe Wii U down to $299.99 (price cuts worked for the Vita).
  • Change the name of the Wii U to the "Nintendo Stream."
  • Launch the most advanced marketing campaign affordable to convey what the system is to consumers.
  • Allow third party developers to take 90% of the profits on eShop sales to boost suppot.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 30, 2013, 09:35:21 PM »
7. Go door to door with a vacuum cleaner and a bottle of wine.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 30, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Here are some ways for Nintendo to boost Wii U sales:

1. Pull the normal Wii from retail shelves.

This would be really stupid, given how profitable that system must be at this point. Nobody's choosing between the two systems anyway.

2. Discontinue the white basic model Wii U.

How exactly would this increase sales? Removing the cheaper option seems like it would lower sales, not increase them.

3. Cut the deluxe Wii U down to $299.99 (price cuts worked for the Vita).

This would likely help, though the sales benefit for the Japanese Vita price drop hasn't seemed to continue past the first week.

4. Change the name of the Wii U to the "Nintendo Stream."

This is an awful idea for so many reasons. For one, changing the name of a console after it's already been released is a marketing nightmare.

5. Launch the most advanced marketing campaign affordable to convey what the system is to consumers.

This is the only really good idea you listed, and it's baffling that Nintendo hasn't done this yet. Maybe they're waiting for the second wave of games.

6. Allow third party developers to take 90% of the profits on eShop sales to boost suppot.

This might work, and it might just keep the same level of support with less money going to Nintendo. It kind of strikes as a desperation move, and something Nintendo can never really walk back from.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #842 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »
The 90% thing is a bad idea. Nintendo is giving US 10% back. So, why should they be giving 90% to the devs? A bigger cut (dunno what the current even is and too lazy to google) would be good, but you can't go over board.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #843 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »
90% is pretty crazy.  But to aggressively give more profits to the publishers would help promote better sales.  So look around.  If the profits for Apple are 30% to Apple...then Nintendo taking only 25% or 20% would be a pretty good idea.  They could even do tiers.  20% for Nintendo on digital downloads no advertising, or Nintendo can promote your software in the eshop for 25% of the download.  Or even the first 6 months available Nintendo takes 30% but after six months they only take 20%. 

Aggressively finding ways to make putting software on Nintendo's platforms more profitable will definitely bring more publishers to Nintendo.  Sure, they may be only Indie developers, but you know what Indie games are games too.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
Aggressively finding ways to make putting software on Nintendo's platforms more profitable will definitely bring more publishers to Nintendo.  Sure, they may be only Indie developers, but you know what Indie games are games too.

or even ways to make ps4/durango ports a easy task that could be done in no time and with no effort

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 31, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
While I don't think 90% is a great idea, I could see Nintendo doing a crazy high percent to the developers/publishers for eShop releases that hit the store during a certain time frame.  Like, from now until the next Microsoft system or PS4 release. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 31, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
I agree that the Wii needs to be pulled from shelves. They're competing with themselves by having two consoles. They would have to cut the Wii U price though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Lazyking

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 01, 2013, 12:29:03 AM »
I agree that the Wii needs to be pulled from shelves. They're competing with themselves by having two consoles. They would have to cut the Wii U price though.

I agree with this. make the wii available online only if they must. Or cut wii u prices. Honestly,  I can't  afford the wii u at $350.. whereas I could buy a wii on Ebay for less then $60. Now, I don't work and not into gaming heavily so that's a factor but even for middle class people,  $350 is like two paychecks lol.

For me, I won't be getting the Wii u til Christmas and by then, there will be price cut.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 01, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »
The 90% thing makes sense by allowing a developer like EA to make a bulk of the profits on their games sales on the eShop because low profit is such a disincentive to supporting Nintendo systems that you would see a scenario in which a developer like EA would shut its mouth about not liking Nnitendo and put games on their system, or atleast the eShop.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 01, 2013, 07:41:27 AM »
It doesn't make sense because it makes Nintendo look weak and easily bullied into taking a sucker's deal. Giving third parties a larger cut makes sense. Be competitive, but 90% is way too high.

I suppose a deal on older releases may be fair as long as it brought newer titles to Wii U. For example, Konami would get 90% on a Metal Gear Solid 4 release on Wii U, but they have to commit to releasing Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain on Wii U and for a comparable cut they get from Microsoft and Sony. Maybe Nintendo surrenders 5%-10% more to sweeten the deal. I just don't see handing out 90% for everything to be a good idea.