Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 417632 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
Shrunk? Pretty much everywhere in the world the 3DS it outselling the DS at the same point in its lifespan, including hitting 5 million in the US faster than DS did. Those "investors" usually have little knowledge of the video games industry and just want Nintendo to release iOS apps because iOS is so popular.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »
To be fair the DS didn't start selling like crazy until the lite model. It was pretty obvious seeing as the OG DS had pretty slow sales.

And its more than ios being the flavor of the month. For better or worse ios is dictating the future of computing. 
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
Why should investors stay quiet about legitimate concerns.

Seeing as how the trdtional handheld market has shrunk everywhere but Japan as a shareholder I would be wondering how Nintendo would react to the growing mobile phone/tablet sector. I mean the other two seem to have solutions on how to tackle this growing trend.

Anywho I'm hoping the Wii U browser has good html5 support since it wont have flash.

Investors shouldn't be concerned about that. Investors shouldn't ask a licensing/hardware giant company to go third party because of some fad. They might as well be telling Nintendo to make software on Playstation 3.

and DS was selling well before the lite model. My mom tells war stories all the time to my friends about trying to buy the DS. I only have a DS phat.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:58:24 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
Shrunk? Pretty much everywhere in the world the 3DS it outselling the DS at the same point in its lifespan, including hitting 5 million in the US faster than DS did.

People like to throw that statement out a lot, but considering how terrible the DS' first year software lineup was (and how many major 1st party franchise titles Nintendo threw at the 3DS, which we're definitely seeing the consequences of this Fall) is that really something to boast about?  :confused;   Congratulations, the 3DS has outsold a handheld that spent its first year mainly playing (terrible) ports and tech demos.

I've enjoyed my time with my 3DS since I got it a few months ago, but c'mon it would have been pathetic if the 3DS wasn't outselling the DS at this point in that handheld's life cycle.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:16:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
nice gif of the Estavezes
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
Shrunk? Pretty much everywhere in the world the 3DS it outselling the DS at the same point in its lifespan, including hitting 5 million in the US faster than DS did.

People like to throw that statement out a lot, but considering how terrible the DS' first year software lineup was (and how many major 1st party franchise titles Nintendo threw at the 3DS, which we're definitely seeing the consequences of this Fall) is that really something to boast about?  :confused;   Congratulations, the 3DS has outsold a handheld that spent its first year mainly playing (terrible) ports and tech demos.
I agree with this.  If the 3DS is still outpacing the DS in years two and three, then I might say that it will be more of a success than the DS.  Until we have that second year past completely showing that the second year of the 3DS outsold the second year of the DS, I consider all the numbers just marketing speech.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
*eyes Vita*

Guys, let's not downplay the 3DS' performance too much... It could do much better, but let's be thankful it's not doing worse.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
I eye the Vita and think if there was more compelling software for that system, it'd probably be a lot more popular right now.  Sony dropped the ball, same as Nintendo did for the launch of the 3DS.  Sony's Crossplay promotion is intriguing and if they get enough software under that promotion, I may buy a Vita, even at the $250 price.

I'm not saying the 3DS' sales are completely blown out of proportion.  What I am saying is that it has not proven itself to be as popular as the DS at this point in its life.  It needs at least another year or two of selling above or near the level the DS was selling at the same time in its life to prove that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Wayforward working on Multi-plat game
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
Wayforward working on a Miltiplat game for Wii U & PS360

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/20/wayforward-technologies-working-on-multiplatform-wii-u-xbox-360-ps3-game/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sotoartist

A LinkedIn profile belonging to a Games Director at WayForward Technologies indicates that the development studio is working on a multiplatform title for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U.

While we have no indication of what this multiplatform title could be, WayForward have publicly announced two Wii U games that they are working on.

The first is Mighty Switch Force HD, which will be ready for the Wii Uā€™s launch as a downloadable game. This is a high-definition version of Mighty Switch Force that will have redrawn sprites and new features not present in the 3DS version.

The other is a new Shantae game. WayForward owner, Voldi Way, mentioned this game in an interview he gave at E3 2012. The Shantae game, too, was originally considered for release around the time of the Wii U launch, but has been pushed back.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
Pwnee Studios (Cloudberry Kingdom) extra excited about Wii U Online
http://nintendo-okie.com/2012/08/23/pwnee-studios-audio-interview/

"Looks like they've taken a lot of notes from Steam and other succesful marketplaces. Seems like they get it, and they're going to nail it, I think.

"They realise that digital is the future and they are getting their acts together with that, definitely."

I really hope they do get it right. the first time.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
Pwnee Studios (Cloudberry Kingdom) extra excited about Wii U Online
http://nintendo-okie.com/2012/08/23/pwnee-studios-audio-interview/

"Looks like they've taken a lot of notes from Steam and other succesful marketplaces. Seems like they get it, and they're going to nail it, I think.

"They realise that digital is the future and they are getting their acts together with that, definitely."

I really hope they do get it right. the first time.
That's good to hear.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Here's hoping how they start will continue to build and be similar to Steam.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wii U Toys @ BK on Oct 25th?
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
Pach Attack: "Burger King getting Wii U Toys on October 25th... possible release date?"
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/dutg72/pach-attack--pach-attack-332---wii-u-when--

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Toys @ BK on Oct 25th?
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
Pach Attack: "Burger King getting Wii U Toys on October 25th... possible release date?"
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/dutg72/pach-attack--pach-attack-332---wii-u-when--

Yeah, no. Nintendo hasn't revealed the release date to anyone (except maybe investors and board members), so Pachter knows nothing. Just more speculation.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »
Where do Pokemon toys go these days McDonalds? They used to be available at Burger King so I suppose there could be something to this.

Still a Skylanders type deal for every game possible? Oh man you all better be prepared for the tidal wave that's about to hit.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »

Imagine all of the 20 collectible "Big Kid" Meals come with some sort of NFC toy. Maybe they interact with Nintendoland, maybe they all are stuff from different games, like Rabbidsland, Rayman Legends, Wii Fit U, NSMB Mii, etc etc. or maybe even you scan them and they automatically download a demo of some related eShop game on your Wii U, or a new puzzle, or custom gear for your Mii.... the possibilities are ENDLESS!!!

never ending Wii U promotions incoming.
Don't miss this opportunity Nintendo.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

Imagine all of the 20 collectible "Big Kid" Meals come with some sort of NFC toy. Maybe they interact with Nintendoland, maybe they all are stuff from different games, like Rabbidsland, Rayman Legends, Wii Fit U, NSMB Mii, etc etc. or maybe even you scan them and they automatically download a demo of some related eShop game on your Wii U, or a new puzzle, or custom gear for your Mii.... the possibilities are ENDLESS!!!

never ending Wii U promotions incoming.
Don't miss this opportunity Nintendo.

I don't know if Uncle Bob could take it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:23 AM »
IBM Wuutson Inside - Power 7 powers U

Official IBM Watson twitter has been a little chatty today:
https://twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/78473693843562498
Quote from: first an oldie...
David Hansen ā€@TheDavidHansen
@IBMWATSON is it true that they're sticking you inside of #WiiU?

IBM Watson
ā€@IBMWatson
@TheDavidHansen #WiiU uses same #power7 chips.

and now the new quote from Today 8/27/2012
https://twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/240241146213842944
IBM Watson
ā€@IBMWatson
@DeSero "WiiU has 45nm custom chip ... a SOI design & packs same processor tech found in #IBMWatson" http://engt.co/l9uQLv  - @engadget

What exactly does that mean though? I guess we will have to "continue waiting" :/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
IBM Wuutson Inside - Power 7 powers U

Official IBM Watson twitter has been a little chatty today:
https://twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/78473693843562498
Quote from: first an oldie...
David Hansen ā€@TheDavidHansen
@IBMWATSON is it true that they're sticking you inside of #WiiU?

IBM Watson
ā€@IBMWatson
@TheDavidHansen #WiiU uses same #power7 chips.

and now the new quote from Today 8/27/2012
https://twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/240241146213842944
IBM Watson
ā€@IBMWatson
@DeSero "WiiU has 45nm custom chip ... a SOI design & packs same processor tech found in #IBMWatson" http://engt.co/l9uQLv  - @engadget

What exactly does that mean though? I guess we will have to "continue waiting" :/
It means if you linked enough WiiU together they could play Jeopardy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wii U in Review: What's in the box
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
What's in the box? what are you getting for your money? Which one is a better deal?

Wii U Basic - $299.99

Wii U Premium - $349.99

Not only do you get a game & 4x the internal storage space, but you get a controller charging cradle, controller stand, system stand to hold it up vertical.

obviously the Premium is the much better deal, so Good Luck pre-ordering your Premium, but don't worry
I'm sure you'll be able to walk into any store and pick one up on release day. :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:00:30 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
There's nothing on that deluxe set graphic touting the Deluxe Download promotion.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
There's nothing on that deluxe set graphic touting the Deluxe Download promotion.
Well, technically that is not something that is in the box.  Those pics are advertising what is in the box specifically.  Of course, they don't advertise the cardboard or the plastic bags either.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
Wow, I just noticed... no composite cables included! Non HD TV owners will need to buy some extra cables...

This brings me back to the days when I needed to buy RF Adapters for my N64 and GC... *sighs wistfully*

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
That's weird, my post didn't post.

Why is there a charging cradle AND a stand? The cradle is a stand, no?