Author Topic: The Insanity Begins Again....Where can I still buy a Wii U?  (Read 37382 times)

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
The Insanity Begins Again....Where can I still buy a Wii U?
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
I just spent an hour on the phone looking for a Deluxe system preorder...which made me realize, hey, I should start a thread so that we can pool information.   

So as of right now, as far as I'm aware, Gamestop has stopped accepting preorders on the Deluxe/Premium SKU, both in stores on online.

BestBuy has stopped online, but is still accepting preorders in stores.

Kmart is accepting preorders online, but is not yet accepting preorders in stores.

And that's what I've got so far.   I'm going to stop by Bestbuy later today to get my preorder in there.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: The Insanity Begins Again....Where can I still buy a Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
I think Walmart.com still has them in stock, but they're bundled.

With that said, don't worry... I'm sure you'll be able to walk into any store and pick one up on release day. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
I'm sure you'll be able to walk into any store and pick one up on release day. :D

It never gets old ;) I luv it

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
At this rate, I may go the Wal-Mart online bundle route.  It wouldn't kill me to have a spare Wii Motion Plus, and I was planning on getting an additional Wii U game anyway.  Just need to wait for my next paycheck.

As I mentioned in the Wii U thread, my backup plan is to store hop on launch day, but I have a sinking suspicion that it'll be easier said than done.

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »
Yeah, I put an online preorder in on Best Buy's website yesterday, and today I received a message that there was a problem with my order -- something about the billing information that I entered not matching what my bank has on file or some bullshit like that. So I just went ahead and cancelled that order. I've since put a preorder in on Future Shop's website, and am waiting to see if there will be complications with that one as well.

What I really want to know is when the bloody effing hell is Amazon going to put the Wii U itself up for preorder?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »
Never, apparently.
Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware or something...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »
Really? They seem to sell the Nintendo 3DS... Perhaps it's a console thing?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
Where's the link for 3DS units sold by Amazon?

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
I think the 3ds's they are selling are through other places just using their market place as a exchange.

Amazon sent a message to all the people who signed up to be notified about Wii U preorders.  I will copy and paste what they sent me.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
 Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change.
 We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out.
 Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
I guess they could change things around before launch, but the thing with the 3ds has been going on for like 8 months or something.  Maybe a year now?  Not sure.    I was pretty bummed too.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
I just pre-ordered at gamestop nearby, unfortunately it's the $299.99 model, but I was told I could upgrade if anymore open up for the premium model.

Hope they'll get more, as it's the one I want.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
Last I heard Toys R Us and Best Buy were still accepting pre-orders, but I'm not sure what the current situation is regarding store vs. online, and if my information is out of date.

Are there any places that absolutely have NOT opened pre-orders? Either online or in-person?

I looked at the WalMart one and it's not bad if you're in the market for an extra Wiimote Plus. [Edit: Actually, since games are not $60 the WalMart bundle doesn't charge you anything extra at all, they just force you to buy more]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:50:25 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
I checked everything earlier today, and only ToysRUs.com still had pre-orders open. Kmart had some earlier but then ran out. GameStop, Target, Walmart, Sears, and Best Buy were all out.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
You're mistaken. :D

"Ships from and sold by Just 4 Games."

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »

Oh fudge, you are correct. I could have sworn that when I posted that, it didn't say that. I was certain to look there before I linked it... Well at any rate, you've certainly prevented me from waiting for Amazon to offer pre-orders.

EDIT: Ahh, apparently it takes a moment to load that information.

As suspected, I received an e-mail from the second website on which I tried to submit a pre-order, telling me that there was a problem with my order and to call them. To hell with that. How about you don't be lazy and remove the option to pre-order the damn thing from your website?

Just put in a pre-order at EB Games. We'll see if that's fruitful.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
Glad I jumped on mine right away. I think my brother is holding out for a major launch party like Wii had. I'm almost sure Nintendo will do it again at the same place. If its like last year they will have 500+ Wii Us available. I will be there despite preordering mine at BB miles and miles away. I gotta 50$ gift card, better use it during all the festivities.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »

Oh fudge, you are correct. I could have sworn that when I posted that, it didn't say that. I was certain to look there before I linked it... Well at any rate, you've certainly prevented me from waiting for Amazon to offer pre-orders.

EDIT: Ahh, apparently it takes a moment to load that information.

3DS is available through amazon.ca. Sold and shipped by amazon.ca. They don't have the Wii U in the system yet though, but some games are.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
Amazon hasn't shipped any 3DS's since last October because apparently they had large numbers just sitting in their warehouses (when the 3DS wasn't selling well), and Nintendo refused to give them a special deal like they do with Walmart and also refused to let Amazon sell the system at a discount (and the last straw was when Nintendo let Walmart sell the 3DS at a discount before the official price drop). So apparently people who work at Amazon say that it's Amazon who refuses to buy hardware from Nintendo right now.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Jesus Fucking Christ! I want to pre-order one now...maybe a local GameStop will have some available...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
Amazon hasn't shipped any 3DS's since last October because apparently they had large numbers just sitting in their warehouses (when the 3DS wasn't selling well), and Nintendo refused to give them a special deal like they do with Walmart and also refused to let Amazon sell the system at a discount (and the last straw was when Nintendo let Walmart sell the 3DS at a discount before the official price drop). So apparently people who work at Amazon say that it's Amazon who refuses to buy hardware from Nintendo right now.

Nintendo doesn't set the retail price for hardware.  It's illegal for them to do so.  As they found out once before.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
Actually, it's NOT illegal for them to set the price. It's called the MSRP. Retailers can sell it for less than the MSRP, but then they lose money on it since the profit margin for retailers is razor-thin. Amazon essentially wanted Nintendo to compensate them for selling it at a discount.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 10:30:21 PM »
You know what that "S" stands for, right?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
You know what that "S" stands for, right?

Srequired?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
I didn't say Nintendo can force them to sell it at that price, just that technically they do set the price and retailers can choose to sell it or not at that price. But Amazon wanted to sell it for less and Nintendo to compensate them for that.