Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413834 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - (Pics inside)
« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
As far as reveals go I'm a little tired of seeing the floating head render that we've seen in one form or another since Early 2000.
The only thing this PS4 announcement showed me is that the majority of western game devs are graphics whores - and less focused on gameplay and play control. And those two aspects are the most important of any game's design.

I'll stay a Japanese gamer, thanks.

Damn you western developers for brewing graphic whores for Sony.

*Sony shows three Japanese developed games.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 21, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
So apparently along with the PS4 not playing PS3 games, it also won't play any of your digital content.

It can play your digital titles, but only through the PS Cloud, and I assume it would be far easier to acknowledge that you own those titles so as to not have to purchase them again. The Disc based titles however... it's the PSP Go all over again.

Now I guess I'll be looking forward to whatever Microsoft's doing.

Pfffft. I don't think Microsoft will have that much to offer that will wet your appetite. Keep a close eye on the Steam Box.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
So apparently along with the PS4 not playing PS3 games, it also won't play any of your digital content.

It can play your digital titles, but only through the PS Cloud, and I assume it would be far easier to acknowledge that you own those titles so as to not have to purchase them again. The Disc based titles however... it's the PSP Go all over again.

Well, I've watched last night's conference twice now, and all Sony said was that they were going to use their Gaikai tech to stream PS1/2/3 games. I haven't seen Sony quoted anywhere saying that your previous digital purchases would carry over via this streaming service.

And yeah, my retail PS3 discs are still useless to this device, so that's probably $100+ in trade-in credit from my PS3 I wouldn't have for a PS4 even if I wanted one.  So that's probably a sale lost for Sony.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
I'm confused about the anger toward the streaming thing. Is Sony saying that you can't download previously purchased digital content onto the PS4 HDD and have to stream instead? That's what it sounds like to me. So, you can still play your PS3 digital content on PS4, but you can't download them; you have to stream. It's just less convenient because the servers or your internet could go down and you don't have access to it. I'd be glad this is even an option because Sony could have said, "Suck it, buy everything again if you want it." I understand some disappointment, but this wouldn't be a reason for me not to buy a PS4.

Backwards compatibility is nice, but I still consider it extra. I don't need it so the streaming option is fine to exist with me even if I won't use it. I've all but decided to try 50/25 FiOS when I move in April so streaming wouldn't be an issue for me. Still, I won't be taking part in streaming my disc based PS3 games. I'm not paying more for games I already own just play them on a new console. I will still own a PS3 and it plays the games just fine.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:43:50 PM by Adrock »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »

Well, I've watched last night's conference twice now, and all Sony said was that they were going to use their Gaikai tech to stream PS1/2/3 games. I haven't seen Sony quoted anywhere saying that your previous digital purchases would carry over via this streaming service.
My suggestion: hold onto your PS3.  That's my plan.  Also, I'd say wait for the games to actually show up.  There may eventually be a game on the PS4 that is a system seller for you. With the news about no physical BC, it sucks.  But maybe wait to jump ship completely until all the details are out.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 21, 2013, 01:46:28 PM »
Are you guys that big of Nintendo fanboys that you can't realize that most of the stuff they showed cannot be done on the Wii U? I can fully admit that. You think the Wii U can run Deep Down? lol whatever you say. The PS4 is MUCH more powerful than the Wii U.

First, we haven't come anywhere near seeing what the Wii U can do graphically yet. Second, sure, Deep Down was probably the most graphically impressive thing they showed. I question how much of that was actually gameplay, but the facial animations and lighting were above anything on current gen consoles. I guess my main thing is, so what? It's a slightly nicer looking Skyrim. This has been talked about for years now, but the smaller jumps between console generations has finally gotten small enough (at least on first glance) where the next jump doesn't really do much for me. In the end it'll be about the games and the PS4 will probably have some great ones, but I'm not going to get excited about incrementally better lighting models, AI, physics engines, facial animation tech, particle processing, etc. in an announcement trailer.

I of course reserve the right to change my mind if/when something mindblowing comes out in 2014/2015.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 21, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »
"Ymeegod, they did announce on the stream itself that it's 8GBs of GDDR5 Ram."

Like I said, they said the GPU has DDR5 not that the entire 8GB was DDR5.  Hense split configuration.  That's my theory anyhow.  Just like an current PC.

Sony officially announced the specs.  It's 8GBs of GDDR5 Ram that the entire system uses.  There is no more than that.  Look up at what BnM posted direct from Sony.  It specifically says 8GB GDDR5 Ram.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »
Here's a great article that puts my thoughts, conscious and subconscious, into words.

http://gameological.com/2013/02/more-more-morehow-do-you-like-it/

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »
Okay tech geeks, is the Wii U last gen hardware compared to the PS4?  That's what really matters here and that is probably the biggest factor in regards to what kind of support the Wii U will get.  The PS4 specs aren't speculation anymore so we should know the answer.

I like how Square Enix gets on stage... and says pretty much nothing.  And then Blizzard gets on stage and there's all this buzz... and it's a Diablo III port.  What a double-team of letdowns.  Why would anyone care about Diablo III on the PS4?  Is that any different than Warcraft II on the Saturn or Starcraft on the N64?  Now some sort of new game from Blizzard would have been a big deal.

The PS4 has not earned a sale from me but I'm not really looking into the Playstation brand.  I bought a PS3 entirely to address the huge shortcomings of the Wii library.  I don't WANT to make Playstation my main system so I didn't have any hype going in and still don't.  If I get this it will entirely because Nintendo sent me there with a lousy product.  Nintendo is the only one where I would go in thinking "I want this to be a product I would like to own."

Not locking out used games is great.  MS wouldn't dare do it now so we get at least another generation before that bullshit gets brought up again - and by then it probably won't matter if the next gen to moves to download-only.

Sony is going nuts with all this online stuff but of every online device I own the PS3 is by FAR the slowest.  Like my laptop and Wii just connect to my wireless internet and it just runs like a dream, as does any friend's laptop or tablet or smartphone when they're at my place.  But the PS3 runs like it's on dial-up and it is right next to the Wii so it isn't like it's in a dead spot in the house.  So, yeah, if Sony has all these online dreams for the PS4 they better make sure it's a little more efficient than the PS3.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
My PS3 is wired.  Though my PS3 in general has better internet performance then at least Shaymins and Broodwars.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 21, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Do you guys honestly believe that the jumps aren't big this time around? You're kidding right? Much higher textures, actual AA this time (just for consoles though, PC has always had this), dynamic lighting, MUCH better particle effects. And instead of being sub-720p and being upconverted, it will be native 1080p.

It's like going from what we have already to CGI level graphics. In real time. If you don't think that the jump is huge, you are blind as a bat.

(Plus, better specs means [hopefully] better and smarter AI, but that can be seen with a trailer or screenshot.)

@Ian: Yes, sadly. The Wii U is 7.5 gen and PS4 is 8 gen, comparitively.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »
Are you guys that big of Nintendo fanboys that you can't realize that most of the stuff they showed cannot be done on the Wii U? I can fully admit that. You think the Wii U can run Deep Down? lol whatever you say. The PS4 is MUCH more powerful than the Wii U.

First, we haven't come anywhere near seeing what the Wii U can do graphically yet. Second, sure, Deep Down was probably the most graphically impressive thing they showed. I question how much of that was actually gameplay, but the facial animations and lighting were above anything on current gen consoles. I guess my main thing is, so what? It's a slightly nicer looking Skyrim. This has been talked about for years now, but the smaller jumps between console generations has finally gotten small enough (at least on first glance) where the next jump doesn't really do much for me. In the end it'll be about the games and the PS4 will probably have some great ones, but I'm not going to get excited about incrementally better lighting models, AI, physics engines, facial animation tech, particle processing, etc. in an announcement trailer.

I of course reserve the right to change my mind if/when something mindblowing comes out in 2014/2015.
alot of that hardware will likely go to that video recording stuff so i dont expect much more then the wii u in terms of noticeable difference

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 21, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
Do you guys honestly believe that the jumps aren't big this time around? You're kidding right?
CGI level graphics is a bit of hyperbole. I can tell there's greater detail; I just don't care about it. Wii U is high definition so the difference between what it can produce and what PS4 can is considerably less jarring than Wii and PS3.  It's not like Wii U isn't capable of producing nice visuals. It is and it will and that's what's really important. At the PS4 unveiling, they were acting like we were force fed dog poo the last 6+ years with PS3-level graphics. I'm well past the point where developers can impress me with graphics alone because so many games looks so F-ing good these days, even on hardware from 2005-2006. They spent a lot of time on bang-bang explosions. I just shrugged my shoulders because I have that today. It still looks good, just not PS4 good and I'm okay with that. I may get a PS4 one day, but nothing they showed last night convinced me that I wanted one right away. What else you got, Sony?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
I understand that completely, and I agree. But to that they cannot see the difference between the two, and say that the jump is not a large jump, is completely false. If 4k TV's had picked up just in time for the PS4 release, we would've had another PS3 vs. Wii situation.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
I seriously doubt that because if this generation is any indication the PS4 would still do 1080p and not 4k native.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #790 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
LOL, 4K TV's do exist but they are absurdly expensive and the difference it quality is not noticeable. The human eye can not see any difference unless you TV is like 80 inches. And the jump in quality for the PS4 is not huge. Trying to make any system or game 4K would be pointless because it would be a waste of time and money to do it because no one will see the difference between 1080p and 4K.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 21, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
What about movies or music you bought from Sony on your PS3? Will those transfer?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
I can see a difference in those clips.  It isn't like N64-to-Gamecube but I do see a difference.  I cannot imagine the Wii U pulling that stuff off.

But Nintendo has not exactly impressed graphically with their Wii U output yet.  They do themselves no favours in making their system look last gen.  There is nothing on the Wii U right now that would even stand out visually on the PS3.  NSMB U looks like Nintendo playing catch-up to the previous gen with graphics that are at best merely acceptable.  It doesn't look like that they're trying to show off the hardware at all.

That Zelda video did impress me, but didn't look as nice as the Killzone or Witness videos did here.  Nothing that Nintendo showed at that recent Nintendo Direct, which included some games I'm really interested in, looked comparable.  They looked like if Nintendo made PS3 games.

While the PS4 has not earned a purchase from me, it has done a good job of making me less interested in the Wii U.  It's just another Wii and that's exactly what I DON'T want.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 21, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
What about movies or music you bought from Sony on your PS3? Will those transfer?

I'd actually be surprised if they didn't, considering those just require a simple codec upgrade to whatever the PS4's already using for video playback. I doubt Sony wrote code into PSN videos to render using the Cell processor.

And yeah, just the sheer amount of open space & the shine off the glass in that Killzone trailer show things the PS3 and Wii U probably can't do. It's a pretty large leap in graphical fidelity, though I question the system's ability to sustain that level of visuals over the course of a full game. Anything can look great in a small demo...*cough* Aliens: Colonial Marines *cough*

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
@Ian
We clearly want very different things. The new Killzone may have whiz-bang effects coming out of its ass, but I would take the Zelda demo over the Killzone demo any day. If the next Zelda uses the demo art style (Twilight Princess inspired, but Link's design looked a bit more cartoony) and looks even better (it would), I couldn't ask for more from what I imagine a Zelda game would look like. I'm sick of these games like Killzone that all look the same. Zelda even with paltry Wii U graphics is bound to have some damn charm and personality.

You can keep your explosions and pew-pew if the choices are that and Zelda.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 21, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
I can see a difference in those clips.  It isn't like N64-to-Gamecube but I do see a difference.  I cannot imagine the Wii U pulling that stuff off.

But Nintendo has not exactly impressed graphically with their Wii U output yet.  They do themselves no favours in making their system look last gen.  There is nothing on the Wii U right now that would even stand out visually on the PS3.  NSMB U looks like Nintendo playing catch-up to the previous gen with graphics that are at best merely acceptable.  It doesn't look like that they're trying to show off the hardware at all.

That Zelda video did impress me, but didn't look as nice as the Killzone or Witness videos did here.  Nothing that Nintendo showed at that recent Nintendo Direct, which included some games I'm really interested in, looked comparable.  They looked like if Nintendo made PS3 games.

While the PS4 has not earned a purchase from me, it has done a good job of making me less interested in the Wii U.  It's just another Wii and that's exactly what I DON'T want.

And what the hell is wrong with Nintendo games looking like PS3 games?  That would still make their Wii U games look lightyears better then their Wii games did since the Wii U is way more powerful then the Wii.  Who gives a **** if Zelda wont look as good as Killzone, it'll still be the best looking Zelda game ever made by a huge margin.

By this logic, are you going to sell all your PS3 games when the PS4 is released because they suddenly don't look as good anymore?  Of course if graphics bother you that much you shouldn't even own a console Ian, since PC games on their max setting are always beyond their console counterparts.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 21, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Do you guys honestly believe that the jumps aren't big this time around? You're kidding right? Much higher textures, actual AA this time (just for consoles though, PC has always had this), dynamic lighting, MUCH better particle effects. And instead of being sub-720p and being upconverted, it will be native 1080p.
It's like going from what we have already to CGI level graphics. In real time. If you don't think that the jump is huge, you are blind as a bat.

The difference isn't big because the new graphics aren't letting us do anything new.  In the same way the ps3 and 360 was much smaller than the previous gen and imo wasn't really justified until things like dead rising came out that needed the horsepower for more enemies.
These are the games most people seem to be talking about.
1. Watchdogs- It will actually be on the WiiU as well as the older consoles. The extra shininess doesn't change what you can do at all.
2.  Killzone- Another fps and the detail doesn't seem to change what you can do.  Flying on the helicopter is a scripted on rails scene like we've had before.
3.  Deep Down- The fakest thing I've seen in ages.  The animations are 100% made for the demo and just the demo and nothing is actual gameplay.  Fighting a dragon is nothing new.

I'll say the jump is big when they show me something new I can do, not the same thing but shinier.

(Plus, better specs means [hopefully] better and smarter AI, but that can be seen with a trailer or screenshot.

They stopped even trying to make smarter AI ages ago.  Give up the dream.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 21, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
3.  Deep Down- The fakest thing I've seen in ages.  The animations are 100% made for the demo and just the demo and nothing is actual gameplay.

You know, I thought the same thing the first time I saw the footage, but after rewatching the conference last night I'm not so sure. There were a couple of times during the trailer when I could have sworn I saw a HUD element in the corner of the screen (some kind of rectangular, card-looking thing).  There may have been actual gameplay mixed in with some cinematics.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 21, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
LOL, 4K TV's do exist but they are absurdly expensive and the difference it quality is not noticeable. The human eye can not see any difference unless you TV is like 80 inches. And the jump in quality for the PS4 is not huge. Trying to make any system or game 4K would be pointless because it would be a waste of time and money to do it because no one will see the difference between 1080p and 4K.
agreed upscaled maybe

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 21, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
Just rewatched the Killzone Trailer.  You can see where your going from cinematic to Having control to On Rail Shooter.  There is a part where all the suddenly Glass shows up and the city pops in.
3.  Deep Down- The fakest thing I've seen in ages.  The animations are 100% made for the demo and just the demo and nothing is actual gameplay.

You know, I thought the same thing the first time I saw the footage, but after rewatching the conference last night I'm not so sure. There were a couple of times during the trailer when I could have sworn I saw a HUD element in the corner of the screen (some kind of rectangular, card-looking thing).  There may have been actual gameplay mixed in with some cinematics.
Back to Dragon Lair like.