Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413720 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - (Pics inside)
« Reply #800 on: February 21, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
The PS4 is certainly an improvement, but it's not as much of one as the PS3 was, which itself wasn't as much of one as the PS2 was. It's a clear case of diminishing returns. The Wii U isn't going to look nearly as dated as the Wii did, for a number of reasons.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
3.  Deep Down- The fakest thing I've seen in ages.  The animations are 100% made for the demo and just the demo and nothing is actual gameplay.

You know, I thought the same thing the first time I saw the footage, but after rewatching the conference last night I'm not so sure. There were a couple of times during the trailer when I could have sworn I saw a HUD element in the corner of the screen (some kind of rectangular, card-looking thing).  There may have been actual gameplay mixed in with some cinematics.

There wasn't any gameplay mixed in. They did stick a hud on the screen 2 times but its just a mock up tacked on for the video. The entire thing is shown from "cinematic" angles that are terrible for gameplay. Beyond that the animations on certain parts are way too fluid to not be made just for this video.  I don't know how much, if any of it was actually game assets.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 21, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
@Ian
We clearly want very different things. The new Killzone may have whiz-bang effects coming out of its ass, but I would take the Zelda demo over the Killzone demo any day. If the next Zelda uses the demo art style (Twilight Princess inspired, but Link's design looked a bit more cartoony) and looks even better (it would), I couldn't ask for more from what I imagine a Zelda game would look like. I'm sick of these games like Killzone that all look the same. Zelda even with paltry Wii U graphics is bound to have some damn charm and personality.

You can keep your explosions and pew-pew if the choices are that and Zelda.

I would rather play Zelda as well.  I don't give two shits about Killzone as a game.  BUT when I see that movie clip I'm pretty certain that the Wii U can't do that.

So why do I care?  Am I just some graphics whore?  No, it's because of what happened on the Wii where the hardware gap was too big for third parties to include the Wii in their multiplatform development so we got bullshit spinoffs "designed for the Wii audience" or NOTHING.  This isn't some hypothetical situation, this HAPPENED.

But, no, this idea is like a brand new concept every time it comes up.  Let's just ignore the reality of the Wii and decide that anyone who isn't immediately on board with the Wii U is some graphics whore.

If the hardware isn't up to snuff, the third party support is going to be **** JUST LIKE BEFORE.  It's really simple.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 21, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
I don't think it'll be just like before. With the Wii a lot of the support it got was influenced by the massive casual audience it had, which it does not at all appear the Wii U will. If I had to guess, the Wii U will see less support, but the support we get will be more oriented at people like us, but it's way too early to know. The way it looks now, Wii U third party support seems more likely to follow the GameCube route than the Wii's.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 21, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »
My PS3 is wired.  Though my PS3 in general has better internet performance then at least Shaymins and Broodwars.
Mine is wired too and internet is great on it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
what about multiplats...
could we see versions of ps4 games rendered at 720p on the wii u

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
It's going to depend on the game. Some games are going to use the increased specs more than others, and that's going to affect how hard it will be to port them to the Wii U.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
The way it looks now, Wii U third party support seems more likely to follow the GameCube route than the Wii's.

Not sure if that's good or bad.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 21, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
The way it looks now, Wii U third party support seems more likely to follow the GameCube route than the Wii's.

Yeah, neither am I.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 21, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »
Considering how expensive 360/PS3 development still is, how many developers are really going to take advantage of the PS4's full power?  According to the rumors, the 720 is suppose to be weaker then the PS4 which already makes a lot of the PS4's power worthless to anyone that isn't a Sony first or second party.  For the next couple years, most third party games are going to be made to be very scalable to all systems.  With current budgets still to high, most major third party series will still get 360/PS3 versions, which should guarantee Wii U versions assuming sales take off this holiday which a price cut and Mario Kart should do. 

Plus we have no idea how sales of the 720/PS4 are going to be either.  Considering with 8GB of GDDR5 Ram pretty much guarantees the PS4 will be at least $500 at launch, that system probably ain't going to be getting a huge userbase anytime soon.  Plus if the rumors are true and the 720 doesn't allow used games and forces always online and a ton of Kinect bullshit down peoples throats, Microsoft probably won't be doing much better either.  If the 720/PS4 sales are ****, then the Wii U could end up like the PS2 where all the third party games are made with its hardware in mind and the 720/PS4 are just upscaled versions that look better, but not a huge jump.

People have to remember the Wii was the last system released last gen and used modified Gamecube hardware which third parties didn't have much experience with, and well over a year after they already invested heavily in 360/PS3 development because they thought these systems would take off and the Wii would be another Gamecube.  The Wii U on the other hand is the first next gen system on the market by over a year, uses hardware that's similar to the 360/PS3 so third parties are more familiar with it, and third parties aren't as eager to suddenly jump onto more powerful beast since current budgets are still too high and they remember how badly they were burned last gen.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 21, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
It was announced that the PS4 can render video in 4K but no games would support that.  It makes me wonder if the bluray movie standard will be upgraded to include 4K and the PS4 either ships with it or be upgradeable to it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
People have to remember the Wii was the last system released last gen and used modified Gamecube hardware which third parties didn't have much experience with, and well over a year after they already invested heavily in 360/PS3 development because they thought these systems would take off and the Wii would be another Gamecube.  The Wii U on the other hand is the first next gen system on the market by over a year, uses hardware that's similar to the 360/PS3 so third parties are more familiar with it, and third parties aren't as eager to suddenly jump onto more powerful beast since current budgets are still too high and they remember how badly they were burned last gen.
In some ways they are similar (all three systems have cpu/gpu's made by AMD, but that is where they end.  The Wii U is 60% proprietary tech, so the way things are rendered on the Wii U would be different than how they are on the PS4.  There would have to be some great middleware that would help in porting the games from one system to the other for your idea to happen.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm really bummed by the lack of backwards-compatibility. They won't even let us transfer our PSN purchases. I understand that the PS4 uses standardized PC components (much like the Xbox 360), but backwards-compatibility can still be achieved through software emulation. You can't even use the PS3's DualShock 3 controller on the PS4, but the Move still works. Go figure...

Even Nintendo managed to emulate the original Wii's OS on the Wii U, AND they let us transfer all most of our existing Wii content (WiiWare, Virtual Console, save data).

Do any of you think Microsoft will have full backwards-compatibility with the Next Xbox? If they use standardized PC components again, then it may very well be achievable (either through software emulation or miniaturized Xbox 360 chips). All we'd have to do is sign in with our Xbox Live accounts, and all our purchases would be transferred over.

Why couldn't Sony make it that easy?

On a more positive note, I love how unique the DualShock 4 controller is. The rounded edges will make it more comfortable to hold, and the touchpad will make menu navigation more intuitive. And porting from smartphones/tablets will be much easier now that the controller has touch input.

The "PlayStation App" for mobile devices sounds A LOT like Xbox's SmartGlass; it's like the same damn thing. And that new PS Eye camera is essentially a clone of Kinect, just with a higher resolution. Not very innovative there, Sony.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:10:49 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Gamecube level support would be an improvement.  At least then we either got the real game or we didn't get anything.  They didn't make patronizing spin-offs that implied that Nintendo owners couldn't handle "real" games.

On the Cube I felt like I owned a normal videogame system that just didn't have that great of support.  On the Wii I felt like I had purchased the kid's meal by mistake and that third parties figured I was five years old.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
About the PS4 reveal:

I was expecting to see something NEW, but all we were shown was the same games just with "shiny, pretty, more realistic" graphics. The social features are nice (a big step up from Xbox Live); but Microsoft is already quickly heading down that road, so they will easily surpass Sony on that front.

That being said, Mark Cerny's new game looks intriguing, but the rest was just "been there, done that".

It's basically an extension of everything we've seen since the PS2/GameCube/Xbox1 era. Where's the "wow"? Where's the "I've never seen that before" stuff? Social features and streaming games/media are nice, but is that all the PS4 has to offer? I do like that you can stream PS4 games to the Vita, but I doubt Sony will support that feature much.

I know Sony is saving the big guns for E3, but it better not be more Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Turismo, God of War, etc. Give us something NEW.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
From what I was reading it sounded like Sony was saying that the PS4-Vita streaming would support every PS4 game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 21, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
Okay tech geeks, is the Wii U last gen hardware compared to the PS4?  That's what really matters here and that is probably the biggest factor in regards to what kind of support the Wii U will get.  The PS4 specs aren't speculation anymore so we should know the answer.

if that's all that matters.. you're doing 'gaming' wrong..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
PS4

Wii U

Durango/Xbox 720....

Names suck these days.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
PS4

Wii U

Durango/Xbox 720....

Names suck these days.

Honestly, they've kind of always sucked. Revolution was at least a badass code name.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
But, no, this idea is like a brand new concept every time it comes up.  Let's just ignore the reality of the Wii and decide that anyone who isn't immediately on board with the Wii U is some graphics whore.
I'm not implying that you're a graphics whore. This isn't graphics vs. gameplay. It's graphics vs. art direction. You pointed out that the Zelda demo didn't look as nice as the Killzone demo. Because of Killzone's generic shooter #7456 art direction, I would still say Zelda looks better despite the Wii U's inability to produce the same amaz-O effects.
If the hardware isn't up to snuff, the third party support is going to be **** JUST LIKE BEFORE.  It's really simple.
Except it's not. If hardware was the only barrier, 3rd parties can take advantage of Wii U hardware right now with games that are coming out RIGHT NOW and they can stop immediately when the hardware isn't capable of handling ports. But they aren't because water is wet or cats sometimes sneeze or whatever other ridiculous reasoning they come up with for not supporting a console that is currently more powerful than any other console out at the moment. No 3rd party has come out and given a straight answer but right now, it isn't about the hardware at all.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 21, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »
PS4

Wii U

Durango/Xbox 720....

Names suck these days.

Honestly, they've kind of always sucked. Revolution was at least a badass code name.

You are obviously forgetting about the Dreamcast, Sega Genesis, and the fiscally deplorable Jaguar.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 21, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
Most of that is pre-rendered stuff. PS4 looks to be a step up from the PS3 in terms of graphics, but it's not a huge leap like going from PS1/N64 to PS2/GameCube.

At least they improved the online functionality. The streaming features and real-time gameplay video uploads to USTREAM are very nice. But with the direction Microsoft is heading, they will easily surpass that with their Next Xbox.

Also, with all that super-powerful hardware packed into a console-size box, I can't wait to see all the reports of melted consoles this Christmas. ;) You thought the Red Ring of Death was bad...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
You think the Wii U can run Deep Down?
Wii U can run movies just fine.

Watch Dogs was probably the only playable footage we saw.

And it was on PC.

And it's coming to Wii U anyways.

So yeah.

Anyway, i like Ono and Capcom's efforts with their engine (seriously MT Framework is amazing, see what Capcom was able to do with it on 3DS) but Ono was a bad fit (the first thing he says is that he's not here to talk about SF, then why you're here, dude?) and that was 100% scripted movie.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:29:42 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »
You think the Wii U can run Deep Down?
Wii U can run movies just fine.

What? Deep Down is a new game by Capcom.