Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413808 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #750 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:10 AM »
There was some gameplay screenshots anyhow--the car demo and Capcom's Dragon beast thing did show signs of a hud.  But yeah, I'm not falling for "kllzone" in game trailer again (cough Killzone 2/E3 show cough).

Guerilla Games confirmed that that footage was actual in-game gameplay. Besides, you can tell it was real-time b/c of the framerate dropping during the part with people running away from the attack after the explosion, as well as the HUD.  And yes, I've seen the infamous Killzone 2 trailer.

The more I think about tonight's show, the less excited I am for the PS4 and it's odd because I was really anticipating getting behind this console before today.  The confirmation by Sony that my 65 PS3 physical games (including games in collection form) will be paperweights to the PS4 really dampens my enthusiasm.  In fact, the whole business is very depressing.  I've already lost one PS3 to the Yellow Light of Death, & I just know I'm going to lose the other one the same way at some point.  I don't want online streaming of PS3 games I'd probably have to repurchase.  I don't want all this online B.S. Sony touted tonight.  They didn't even show the usefulness of that Dualshock 4 touch pad, probably because even Sony hasn't figured out what to do with it yet.

I'm surprised to find myself saying this, but I may have to go Microsoft next generation unless their reveal shows the Durango as opposing to my interests as the PS4 reveal seems to have done.  They may not have backwards compatibility, either, but I'd only be losing access to 6-7 games and I rarely use my 360 as it is so it probably has many years left on it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #751 on: February 21, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »
What I find interesting about this is that Microsoft now has all the cards on the table.  If Microsoft was going to only do 6 Gigs or RAM they could decide to do more.  If Microsoft wants they can still change their designs some...nothing has been set in stone for them.  Plus, they have no release date announced. 

Personally, if I was Microsoft I would take a wait and see.  Wait one more year and launch 2014.  Launch with specs comparable or better than PS4 at a cheaper price, and rank in one more year worth of profit on the Xbox 360...afterall, I don't see people jumping ship on an expensive PS4 system yet. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 21, 2013, 01:10:36 AM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:23:36 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 21, 2013, 01:39:58 AM »
My take on the games:

Knack:The art style on the humans is not good. This game wants to be the next Ratchet and Clank. - My Interest: eh.

Deep Down: The HUD looked like a mockup, the special effects were neat, I need to see more. - My Interest: hm, okay.

Destiny: Not a game you play for the story. The trailer seemed boring - My Interest: Yawn.

Infamous
: Second Son: May be decent, I like Seattle. I got tired of the first Infamous. - My Interest: eh.

Killzone 4
: Shadow Fall: Ugh, another Killzone. to steal a joke, at least it's in color. - My Interest: Yawn.

DriveClub
: Kinda cool, about one driving game a generation is enough for me. - My Interest: hm, okay.

The Witness
: Cool world, like the artstyle, This would be right up my alley except... EVERY PUZZLE IS PIPE DREAM! - My Interest: Torn like Natalie Imbruglia

Watchdogs
: Probably the least graphically impressive (next to Witness), but the gameplay looks fun! Need more haxoring! - My Interest: Hype!

Diablo III:
- Really? I've heard too many bad things about this game. - My Interest: eh.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 21, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »
Like most others here, I just kinda shrugged my shoulders at all of this stuff. The Killzone footage, a series I quite like, really didn't look much better/different than Killzone 2 and 3. To be fair, those two games are among the best looking games on the PS3, but still. That's how I felt about everything they showed. Nothing made me think I need to go throw down hundreds of dollars for this machine in nine months.

Honestly, the best part of the conference for me was something that they did NOT show, and that was The Last Guardian. Yes, for the first time ever, I'm glad that game wasn't shown because it brings me hope that it's still a PS3 game. The Last Guardian was in the back of my mind when I purchased my PS3 four and a half years ago and while I would not feel cheated if TLG was a PS4 exclusive, I would be bummed if it never even came out for the PS3.

And while this conference left me pretty unimpressed, I know that in the end Sony has an infinitely more appealing stable of first/second party of developers than Microsoft does. That's not going to change overnight and it's going to matter more as third party exclusives, even timed exclusives, truly become a thing of the past. It's happened already. So for me, unless Microsoft really blows us all out of the water, Sony will continue to be more appealing between those two.

Good news though, EuroGamer is confirming that used games will work on PS4.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 21, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »
I usually buy 2 consoles per generation which usually ends up being Nintendo then Sony. However, Sony's push for social this and personal info/space invasion that is a total anti-boner. Regardless of whether I can turn it off, I don't like the fact that it would exist on my console especially since in the fine print of the Terms and Conditions, they probably reserve the right to change whatever they want like set it back to default automatically after a major system update or something.

I like that I can completely ignore Home and how unobtrusive Miiverse is (besides asking me if I want to post something which gets old). I don't have to participate if I don't want and that's the end of it. Sony has taken the 1st step on a path I do not want to follow; Microsoft seems like they might leap frog Sony. If so, I'll stick with just Nintendo. Thanks. I want to want to pick up a PS4. The games aren't there yet and I'm weary of the new social features.  As long as I can keep it offline besides updates, I'll pick one up eventually.

The only game Sony showed in that conference that even remotely interested me is Watch Dogs and that's coming out for Wii U. I was a bit surprised by Diablo III, only because it seems perfect for Wii U due to the GamePad's screen and all.
quoting for the new page.
Why not start a new Official PS4 Thread? This is the rumor and speculation thread and the cat's out of the bag. I would, but I don't want to steal your hard work of gathering links, pics and such. Also, I would have to be responsible for updating the opening post and I can't be bothered.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:10:41 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 21, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »
I'm kind of on the opposite end of broodwars, as I own a whole lot of 360 games and barely any PS3 games, so backwards compatibility isn't a huge thing for me. I'm also very, very interested in the Vita connectivity they talked about. I went into the event thinking that, if I'm going to buy another console, it would be Sony's and not Microsoft's, and is presentation did nothing to push me away from that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:15 AM »
I actually enjoyed that.  Nothing mind blowing and the length and procrastination in the presentation were horrible, but I think some of those features will be cool.  Ymeegod, they did announce on the stream itself that it's 8GBs of GDDR5 Ram.
I like the idea of instant demos of PSN games as well as being able to start playing the minute you buy the game.  The live streaming thing is cool, though most gamers who do that will want the option to use Twitch instead of Ustream.  I'm glad my Move controller is not forgotten and will be forward compatible. That demo with the instruments got me excited.  It's the next level to take the Little Big Planet concept I think.

I still think this thing will be expensive though.  There won't be a purchase by me until it's below at least $400 and possibly even $300.

Why all the Diablo III hate?  I think it's an awesome game.  Most of the hate put out there was about the just released game and the always online aspect of it.  It has since evolved into something amazing and I think anyone that gave up on it should give it another chance.  It also did not bomb. It was the highest selling PC game last year and I believe top 10 or possibly even top 5 selling game total last year.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - (Pics inside)
« Reply #758 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:20 AM »
I'm going to call it. Like before, Europe sees a release in 2014.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »
"Ymeegod, they did announce on the stream itself that it's 8GBs of GDDR5 Ram."

Like I said, they said the GPU has DDR5 not that the entire 8GB was DDR5.  Hense split configuration.  That's my theory anyhow.  Just like an current PC.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 21, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »
In addition confirming Sony is NOT blocking used games (which I think someone already mentioned in this thread), Shuhei Yoshida also confirmed that PS4 will not require an always online connection thus tempering the spy aspect I was worried about. I have a feeling the poor reception the rumors received forced Sony to reconsider. Good. This makes an eventual PS4 purchase for me more likely. I'm still planning on holding off due to monetary and basic gaming habit reasons. However, this eases my concerns a bit though I'm keeping an eye on this to see how it plays out. If 3rd parties would appropriately scale and port their games to Wii U, I would technically be able to skip PS4 altogether as I'm not too crazy about Sony's 1st party offerings anymore. God of War and Uncharted have gotten old to me (still good, just not good enough to justify a new console) so unless Sony wows me with something, I can wait or pass entirely.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:28:11 AM by Adrock »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 21, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
What did you guys think about the Wii U reveal because this was way better than both Wii U ae3,s.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 21, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
About on par. None of them were special. 3DS was probably the best of the 3. The last hardware reveal that impressed me was Gamecube's because that one was simply magical. Nintendo made good and then some on that brief Metroid clip of Samus running down a hallway.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:45 AM »
Looking at the specs given.  I'm a little disappointed to not see 802.11AC on their simply because the rest of it is up their.

As far as reveals go I'm a little tired of seeing the floating head render that we've seen in one form or another since Early 2000.  Now if you show something with that head walking around and then zooming in to show the detail that be cool.  Nothing looked like a gotta have or something that couldn't be pulled off more are less on current tech.  As for the move, I hope the new camera improves it.  Unfortunately though the whole BC thing means that my Wonderbook isn't going to be able to benefit from it.  Which is something I was really looking forward too.

This whole presentation took me to: My PS3 has faithfully served me for over 6 years as a good media device with daily long use so, getting a PS4 as a transition would be good.  To:  Well...  Does this even support DLNA?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 21, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »

Guns. Guns. Guns. Ropes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:31:58 AM by Caliban »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »
I agree that nothing showed looked like it couldn't be done on current systems. Which is probably good news for Wii U, if any fat lazy developers would actually port some titles. At least Watchdogs is coming.
So far, the Sony exclusives are not moving me.

I'll probably do the same thing as last-gen: wait for PS4 price drop and until there is a must-have game that is not otherwise coming to WiiU. Last time out it was Arkham Asylum that pushed me into getting a PS3. No regrets since. PS3 was also a very good value because it has a Blu-Ray player. I really like Blu Rays, more than streaming. And they're so cheap now. I just got 7 Blus off of Amazon for $57.

If the Star Wars 1313 game is as fine as it looks and does not come to WiiU, that could be the game that pushes me to procure a PS4 eventually.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Are you guys that big of Nintendo fanboys that you can't realize that most of the stuff they showed cannot be done on the Wii U? I can fully admit that. You think the Wii U can run Deep Down? lol whatever you say. The PS4 is MUCH more powerful than the Wii U.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 21, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
Are you guys that big of Nintendo fanboys that you can't realize that most of the stuff they showed cannot be done on the Wii U? I can fully admit that. You think the Wii U can run Deep Down? lol whatever you say. The PS4 is MUCH more powerful than the Wii U.
Out tof the things that we can confirm were actual game running.  Yeah.
Even Deep down looks doable in a Dragon Lair way.  That particular demo I want to wait till I see something better looking then streaming also someone actually playing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Guns. Guns. Guns. Ropes.
Alright that is funny and accurate at the same time...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
So apparently along with the PS4 not playing PS3 games, it also won't play any of your digital content.  Well, that's pretty much the last straw for me. Barring some game-changing exclusive reveal at E3, I'm not getting a PS4.  With all the crap Sony's throwing into this thing that I don't want, I would have paid them for a model with backwards compatibility but apparently that's just too damn much for Sony.  Their loss.   Now I guess I'll be looking forward to whatever Microsoft's doing.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 21, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Nobody knows for sure. I am just reacting to the fact that the games don't look like any sort of breathtaking leap above games that are available on current gen-tech. And the WiiU is already specked above the current gen of Microsoft and Sony.
And yes, FanBoy
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #771 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
As far as reveals go I'm a little tired of seeing the floating head render that we've seen in one form or another since Early 2000.
The only thing this PS4 announcement showed me is that the majority of western game devs are graphics whores - and less focused on gameplay and play control. And those two aspects are the most important of any game's design.

I'll stay a Japanese gamer, thanks.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
So apparently along with the PS4 not playing PS3 games, it also won't play any of your digital content.  Well, that's pretty much the last straw for me. Barring some game-changing exclusive reveal at E3, I'm not getting a PS4.  With all the crap Sony's throwing into this thing that I don't want, I would have paid them for a model with backwards compatibility but apparently that's just too damn much for Sony.  Their loss.   Now I guess I'll be looking forward to whatever Microsoft's doing.

That actually makes me laugh in the face of any of those idiots who bitched that Nintendo would charge to transfer VC. But hey, at least they let you transfer over, right?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »

That actually makes me laugh in the face of any of those idiots who bitched that Nintendo would charge to transfer VC. But hey, at least they let you transfer over, right?

I still think that charge is ridiculous, but yeah as frustrating as Nintendo has been about that VC/WiiWare content on Wii U at least you can bring them over.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 21, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
And I don't know about you guys, but this whole "streaming BC" is stupid, considering that not everyone has extremely fast high-speed internet. I mean, mine is only fast enough to do one thing at a time with varying degree of success. My sister or mom use the internet whatsoever (which happens a lot)? Forget about it. I can barely play some CoD without it lagging, so streaming classic games will be impossible.