Author Topic: Episode 203: Third Nipple  (Read 18427 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 203: Third Nipple
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

Jonny's back to lead discussion on a wide range of games, lots of emails from first-timers, and a preview of our Mother 3 blow-out in RetroActive.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/23747

After a week in soccer-crazy Spain, Jonny is back to resume hosting duties. He's also playing several games, including Dragon Quest IX and LIMBO. Jon gives us an update on New Super Mario Bros. Wii (a slow burn, to say the least); James wraps up Mega Man ZX and begins to torture himself with Tales of Vesperia. Finally, Greg catches up on some of his recent retro exploits, including R-Type Delta and Castlevania Chronicles. The first segment concludes with a fairly short start to the ongoing RetroActive feature, as the gang (minus Greg, temporarily) goes over first impressions and other thoughts on Mother 3. We'll be back in two weeks for the full treatment on this game, and meanwhile, you can leave your comments in the Mother 3 RetroActive forum thread.

Listener Mail is dominated by first-time writers, who we absolutely love to hear from! Questions and topics range from Rock Band's "Pro" mode to Wii HD (now with holograms). We also answer that eternal question: "Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?"

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 203: Third Nipple
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
i was very happy you hear you recommended Tingle game for DS. I was thinking about that game when listening .

Mother 3 seems like a great game and its totally sad I will never play it on my DS

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
I have to wonder if cheaper development costs could be the wow factor for the next Nintendo system? If the wii's successor is HD, will the development costs be fairly cheap compared to its competitors?

Getting such companies as Valve, Bethesda, Epic and even Sqaure Enix to take the wii successor seriously is all dependant on the success of third parties. It seems as if the third paries do not do as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on other systems. This has to change some how for bigger developers to put their magic on the next wii system. A numbered Final Fantasy, or Final Fantasy 15, would go a long way in helping Nintendo dominate in the next generation.

Being a former Sony fan, I keep thinking that the wii still has five years of its life cycle left like the PS2 did when the PS3 released. However, if Nintendo could afford five more years for the wii, I think I know how they can they put 3D in their next system. Basically sell, or trade(?), the patent for the 3DS to television companies and allow the 3D television marjet to grow and get cheaper and then sell the wii successor as an add on to the 3D glasses free TV screens.

I have to also wonder what the wii successor will be called? Will it be called the wii 2? Who knows? I will say that because the wii sold so many units and made them a whole lot of money, so calling it the wii 2 will help to appeal to the people already familiar with the wii system.

Can Nintendo return to the days of the SNES when they ruled the market?Possible, but very doubtful, but dependant on if one of its main competitors, Sony or Microsoft, leaves the market, which has a slim chance of happening. I would be curious to see what all the HD people would do if Nintendo was the only game in town.

P.S. I am one of those people who would pay $300 for the wii 2, but that amount of money is borderline to where I would pay for any kind of hardware. 

I have talked recently about my dream of having Dead Space and Gears of War on the 3DS.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:44:29 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:51:19 AM »
Jonny states that Inception>Limbo. Except, Inception has at least one Limbo in it.

Inception = Dicaprio+Limbo>Limbo
                                /Limbo
                   Dicaprio/Limbo+1>1
                                 -1, *Limbo
                   Dicaprio>0

I disagree.
That was probably bad math
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »
Megaman ZX Advent fixes most of the issues with ZX, especially the map system and I think it has save points at the start of each area. The later areas are reached via teleporter from your home base so it's also not a long journey there.

i was very happy you hear you recommended Tingle game for DS. I was thinking about that game when listening .

I liked that game but it taught me why DS Zeldas don't use the d-pad for movement and that reason is hand cramps. And just making it button based would lose all the new item functions PH introduced.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:20:29 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »
Wow, I just listen to episode 103 and that is one cluster **** of an episode. In other words: Awesome! It's basically two and half hours of dick jokes. I love how Greg was all silent and innocent while James (the instigator) was a beast of laughter. You guys were not lying in it's epicness.

Thank you for making smile!

P.S
You guys were sober while recording that episode, right?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
I am not so much curious as to what the wii 2 will do, but rather what it will look like when it is revealed. I am thinking that it will look something like the wii, but altered or modified to differentiate itself from the first wii.

There is no doubt that the internal storage of the wii 2 will have to be much higher than what is available right now because wiiware is going to have to evolve into something like PSN and xbox live.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:29:32 PM »
You should have Stan and Karl back for episode 206, since it will be the 103rd episode since the madness began.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
When it comes to Wii 2, there are really 3 things that are a must to me as a gamer: HD visuals, strong online support, and (most importantly) strong 3rd party support.  Nintendo has had 3 straight consoles now with laughably bad 3rd party support, and while the 3rd parties are certainly not blameless a lot of it falls on Nintendo's business practices. 

Nintendo software selling Nintendo hardware is all Nintendo cares about with their consoles, and they seem to be pretty content with letting it stay that way.  Why should 3rd parties create high-profile titles on a Nintendo console when the Nintendo fanbase has been conditioned over the years to ignore nearly anything 3rd party, and meanwhile Nintendo just shrugs at the whole thing while counting their millions from hardware sales?  I've lost track of how many 3rd party titles we've seen this generation sent out to die because 3rd parties have no faith they will sell and Nintendo has no vested interest in ensuring they will sell well.  Aside from Nintendo's dealings with Square-Enix on Dragon Quest, when was the last time you saw Nintendo actively courting 3rd parties on the Wii?  3rd parties like to know they're needed beyond a brief E3 press conference appearance.

So yeah, what I'd like to see most in Wii 2 isn't so much radical UI changes or technical improvements, but a paradigm change in how Nintendo interacts with its fellow developers.  Treat them like valued partners instead of something that's just nice to have once in a while, partners who don't necessarily share Nintendo's philosophy but are still welcome.  Maybe then we'll see 3rd parties reciprocate with the bigger, riskier titles we want but always go to Sony and Microsoft.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:40:23 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
Interested to hear that my Phantom Hourglass review resulted in hate mail.

*steps on soapbox*

It's not really fair of James (or anyone else) to say that my opinion of that game was "sh*t" or whatever it was. I've always said that reviews are deeply subjective, and my take on the game isn't necessarily representative of the larger gaming press. I'd say "write your own damn review," but TYP did just that, and came to much the same review score. I may be high-horsing here a bit, but I do get sick of my reviews of games getting lambasted on RFN (Order of Ecclesia, Puzzle Quest: Galatrix, Phantom Hourglass). It's in poor taste to criticize a fellow staffer's work on-air, especially if they're not right there to defend it.

*steps down*

Anyway, fine episode aside from that. The Metroid question had me laughing my ASS off in the car. There are just so many things wrong with it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »

*steps on soapbox*

It's not really fair of James (or anyone else) to say that my opinion of that game was "sh*t" or whatever it was. I've always said that reviews are deeply subjective, and my take on the game isn't necessarily representative of the larger gaming press. I'd say "write your own damn review," but TYP did just that, and came to much the same review score. I may be high-horsing here a bit, but I do get sick of my reviews of games getting lambasted on RFN (Order of Ecclesia, Puzzle Quest: Galatrix, Phantom Hourglass). It's in poor taste to criticize a fellow staffer's work on-air, especially if they're not right there to defend it.

*steps down*

Anyway, fine episode aside from that. The Metroid question had me laughing my ASS off in the car. There are just so many things wrong with it.

What you guys should do is offer a second opion on your reviews like Game Informer does with their magazine. One NWR guy reviews a game and another also give a quick review, but tries to not follow the same opions as the primary review. Just a thought.  :cool;

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »

*steps on soapbox*

*steps down*

I wholeheartedly disagree; I think there should be more mocking of the staff by other members of the staff on the podcasts, as well as in staff blogs and on the forums.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 01:49:47 AM »
LOL

I may have gotten caught up in the moment while writing my comment, but I certainly do not advocate the airing of grievances on any staffer's contributions on a public podcast. It makes the author look bad, ultimately, and there is no benefit to the listener.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:18:04 AM »

Temple of the ocean king > Train

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:58:48 AM »
After listening to how the discussion about how the Rock Band Pro guitar works, I doubt the veracity of what the Rock Band rep at E3 told me. The guy claimed that the fender controller would pick up hammer-ons/pull-offs and muted strings. If it is purely based off of the string's pressure that coincides with the strumming of a pick, I have no idea how the game would detect everything. And yet, the rep seemed really confident that the game could do it and he knew what I was referring to.

Plenty of songs also have the guitarist scratching the pick along the strings, or even tapping with their fingers, but I didn't ask the rep about those. I would be amazed if the game could really pick up on more than just where your fingers are.

Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »
Nope. Stand by my comments.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Hyrulian Guard

• Account closed by request
  • Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
what a freeken disaster this podcast turned out to be.
your back into talkin about sony crap on a nintendo podcast.
( there is a reason i listen to nintendo podcasts not sony podcasts)
 then u say, got lots of good emails, and you highlight 3
 1. what psp games to get
  2. a nitche segment of a nitche product called  rockband
  3. talk of a system that nintendo hasnt even announced yet, meaning,
you were pulling crap outta your a$$ about an imaginary product.

how could this have been worse. oh the host loves to here himself talk and dominates the time. check.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
Another satisfied listener.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
By my count, we talked about the following Nintendo-platform games on this episode:

Dragon Quest IX
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mega Man ZX
Mother 3
Rock Band 3
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
... plus a lot of quick references to games such as Super Mario World, Earthbound, Kuru Paradise, Tingle's Rosie Rupeeland, etc.

If you know of any other podcasts that talk about 7+ Nintendo games on a bad week (not to mention over 20 minutes of Nintendo console talk), let me know, because I want to hear them.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »
The RFN crew is intelligent, insightful, and entertaining, and they have excellent chemistry with each other. Obviously since the show is called "Radio Free Nintendo" the focus should be Nintendo, but I also want to hear what they think about Sony and Microsoft, and about anything else they want to talk about.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
I'm still trying to get over the idea that Rock Band is a niche product and not a sales juggernaut.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »
I know I'm gonna sound like an asshole, but if you want to learn an instrument, then ****ing learn it!! I did it and so did James! It's not that hard. I have a feeling James is not down with the new rock band.

As for the the guy who said you should talk more about Nintendo stuff: I don't own a Nintendo system and I love to hear the opinions  of these guys when it come to gaming in general. On the other hand, Jonny does love the sound of his own voice. I just listen to episodes 103 and 104 and he's like parent putting the kids in line lol.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:55:40 PM by happyastoria »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
I haven't listened to the full episode yet, but I take mild offense to the blanket "stop being a bitch and learn a goddamn instrument, asshole" remark. Rock Band's Pro Mode doesn't hurt the idea of learning an instrument, it just provides another venue for people to learn an instrument. How is this a bad thing?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
It's simple, I learned how to play guitar myself. I did all the hard work myself. I know it's dumb, but there is a sense of pride when accomplishing something difficult without the need of extra hands.

It's like when you have a band that you followed for years and suddenly they become popular (Kings Of Leon). You get the sense you're not in this special club anymore. Again, I know this sounds stupid.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »
By my count, we talked about the following Nintendo-platform games on this episode:

Dragon Quest IX
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mega Man ZX
Mother 3
Rock Band 3
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
... plus a lot of quick references to games such as Super Mario World, Earthbound, Kuru Paradise, Tingle's Rosie Rupeeland, etc.

If you know of any other podcasts that talk about 7+ Nintendo games on a bad week (not to mention over 20 minutes of Nintendo console talk), let me know, because I want to hear them.

Infendo Radio? There have been times in the past where you guys talked so much about Sony and Mcirosoft products that I though it was going to be called "Radio Free HD." Although I am not holding it against any one because I want like to hear about the other companies, but it might be good to tie Nintendo's rivals into what Nintendo is trying to do in the market, or something.