Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129085 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
I haven't paid anything... yet.

Is anybody going to switch to Verizon for this?  If you are, let me know and I'll enter you as a referral, which will net you a $25 debit card.

If i wasn't a year in to my contract I might think about switching, t-mobile has been horrible lately with dropped calls or the network just going down all together to the point I can't even send an SMS.
The Motorola Droid is a sleek phone though I'm not sure if i like the keyboard.. i'd have to test it out first, the buttons look too "flat" for my liking. Also i hate that they have the "slide to unlock" thing like the iphone, thats just retarded.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »
My friend got the Droid today, and it's fucking awesome. The camera is simply amazing, the Android 2.0 interface is lovely, and it just "works." Since I'm a Samsung Omnia user, I'm used to a software keyboard, so I probably wouldn't use the actual keyboard on the phone, but I think you have to slide it open to view landscape mode...maybe not, I only played with it for a few minutes. Anyway, it's a badass phone to say the least.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2009, 12:39:44 AM »
You can just tilt in the correct orientation to use landscape, but it doesn't seem to trigger in every app.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »
Got a droid. Need app suggestions. Specifically Twitter.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »
Yeah, that's one problem with unrestricted app posting -- there's a ton of crap and it's hard to find the good stuff.  I don't use Twitter, but you might check out Twidget Lite.  Instead of a normal app, it's a widget, which means it will take up a dedicated spot on your main screen, but will send updates right into the widget so you don't have to open it to see the latest post.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2009, 07:42:50 PM »
I copy/pasting from a app recommendation spot.

Quote from: Twidget Lite
- A Twitter homescreen widget that keeps you up to date where ever you are.
View tweets, reply, favourite, retweet, dm & set your status in an instant!
Quote from: Locale
Locale dynamically manages your phone settings based on conditions, such as Location and Time. Never worry about your ringer going off in the wrong place or at the wrong time again. You can set it and forget it!
Quote from: Wikitude
Wikitude World Browser presents the user with data about his/her surroundings, nearby landmarks, and other points of interest by overlaying information on the real-time (augmented reality) camera view of a smart-phone.
Quote from: ShopSavvy
ShopSavvy is your shopping assistant. Use the camera in your phone to scan the barcode of any product and find the best prices on the internet and at nearby, local stores.

besides those, here is a website for jusat what your looking for.

Phandroid - 50 Apps for new Droid Owners

BTW what is your phone plan & whats it costing you? I was thinking of pulling the trigger if I can keep 450 minutes and still get the data plan.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2009, 01:19:44 AM »
I'm thinking about a Droid Eris. I can get it for $50 and don't have to upgrade my plan. I like the idea of 8gb storage, a standard headphone jack and Wifi. Has anyone tried this phone?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »
Played with the demo droid at best buy (ie it wouldn't turn on all I could do was hold it) and I wasn't impressed.

Its small yet bulky, its pointed edges make it uncomfortable to hold and the keyboard doesn't feel very good. Too bad I couldn't really see it in action.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
You'll take all of that back when you play with a real Droid. It's awesome. I hate the G1, so it's not Android-bias.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I like my g1 but as i mentioned before, t-mo has been very shitty lately so if/when I switch i'll definately get another HTC/Android phone. They're awesome.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Lawsuit or not, Verizon is not backing down and AT&T is once again left with no response.

edit: Gizmodo has up an article, supposedly a really good read on Droid and Android 2.0
I'm mostly bookmarking it for myself by posting it here so that I can read it later.

Giz Explains: Android, and How It Will Take Over the World
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:51:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2009, 10:41:41 PM »
I really hope this thing manages to be competitive. I have no intention of buying one; Apple'd probably have to stop making iPhones altogether for me to buy something else, especially if the rumors are true and the iPhone's going to Verizon right around when my contract's up, but if this thing doesn't compete then Apple might get complacent and I don't want to see that. Apple having to compete with someone is only going to make the iPhone better, and I definitely want that, so let's hope this thing isn't just another Palm Pre or G1.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
I've been relatively happy with my Droid over the last two days (as anyone who follows me on Twitter will note).

I can't tell if that's just general "I finally have a smartphone" happy, or it's specific to the phone.

One thing I'm disappointed with (coming from my iPod touch) are the games available for the Droid.  I desperately need to find a great solitaire app (similar to Solebon on the iPhone) and a great Texas Hold 'em app.  These are tremendous relaxation things for me when I'm in meetings and what not.

Anyone have any suggestions?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
Got a droid. Need app suggestions. Specifically Twitter.
I copy/pasting from a app recommendation spot.

Quote from: Twidget Lite
- A Twitter homescreen widget that keeps you up to date where ever you are.
View tweets, reply, favourite, retweet, dm & set your status in an instant!
Quote from: Locale
Locale dynamically manages your phone settings based on conditions, such as Location and Time. Never worry about your ringer going off in the wrong place or at the wrong time again. You can set it and forget it!
Quote from: Wikitude
Wikitude World Browser presents the user with data about his/her surroundings, nearby landmarks, and other points of interest by overlaying information on the real-time (augmented reality) camera view of a smart-phone.
Quote from: ShopSavvy
ShopSavvy is your shopping assistant. Use the camera in your phone to scan the barcode of any product and find the best prices on the internet and at nearby, local stores.

besides those, here is a website for just what your looking for.

Phandroid - 50 Apps for new Droid Owners

BTW what is your phone plan & whats it costing you? I was thinking of pulling the trigger if I can keep 450 minutes and still get the data plan.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
Do you dial on the touch screen? How does it feel? Do you have fat fingers?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
Yes, you dial on the touch screen.  The virtual buttons are quite large (of course the screen is as big as my entire previous phone), and they have vibration feedback every time you press one.  One thing that's cool is the use of the motion sensor-- the screen turns off when you're holding the phone against your face, but back on if you drop it down to look at it.  There's also Google Voice integration, so if you have an account, you can actually do things like dial Canada for free (you can also set it only to trigger for international calls, etc. -- I turned it off for regular calls because it seems to lower the call quality).

Just tried tethering with PDANet.  It works great-- glad to know I can better cover game events live now, not worry whether airports have free access, etc.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:30:04 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
What is tethering?
I keep seeing people mention it, but I have no idea what it is.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »
Getting internet on your computer through your phone.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »
I see how that could come in handy, especially when at conventions and things of the sort.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »
Or on the road.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »
Do you dial on the touch screen? How does it feel? Do you have fat fingers?

assuming its running the same (or better) android OS that my G1 has, if for whatever reason dialing on the touch screen is trouble for you you can always just hold the call button and speak into the phone "dial __" and it'll pull up the appropriate contact. I've never once had a problem with it (when it comes to contacts*) and its the only way I make calls when in the car since the hands free set it came with is too cumbersome (and i rarely make calls while driving anyway).

Or you can always just dial on the keyboard, but if fat fingers is your problem i guess that won't help since the keyboard buttons are much smaller than the virtual keypad and i doubt verizon will send you a free dialing want if you smash your palm against the screen. ;)

*the only time i have trouble with voice recognition is trying to open apps and a few long winded google searches. Usually its because "call mike" is easier than saying something like "open lolcat builder"

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2009, 01:55:39 AM »
Apparently the Verizon has one big nasty issue since the unlimited internet and data has a 5GB limit also the tethering service is pricey. But apparently
Verizon is sadly up to some nasty tricks as well :/. You all should read this insightful article

Quote from: slashdot.org
with an additional $30 per month for the mandatory 'unlimited' data plan that has a monthly cap of 5Gb. Verizon will charge $50 for each additional gigabyte over the 5Gb limit on the unlimited data plan. Verizon has confirmed that tethering will cost another $30 per month for an additional unlimited data plan that is also limited to 5Gb. If you want tethering you will pay $60 above and beyond the monthly contract for service for an 'unlimited' 10Gb of data per month

Quote from: PC World
Verizon isn't stopping there with the sticker shock either. It also announced that as of November 15 the early termination fee will be doubled for high-end devices like smartphones (a.k.a. the Droid). Users who cancel out of the agreement before the two years are up will be hit with a $350 bill.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:59:12 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2009, 02:08:53 AM »
Hot tip: don't use their tethering service and you won't have to pay extra.  All the carriers have always done stuff like this, but there's usually a way around it.

AT&T also has the 5GB limit.

The early termination fee is understandable since it's $400-$450 you're getting off the phone price, but it would be better if they just billed you the difference in cost.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
Is there an Android app that allows no fee tethering without jail breaking?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
I already named one.  Unlike iPhone, you can install unapproved apps without jailbreaking.  It's a setting.
Aaron Kaluszka