Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 128588 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 01:39:46 AM »
I agree that the plans are expensive, but if you can go in with family like I did, the cost comes down quickly since additional lines are only $10 more / month.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 02:28:05 AM »
Verizon's Friends and Family doesn't come with the 450 minute plan.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 02:53:06 AM »
I just checked and you have to jump up to the 900 minute plan but that is still only $89.99 with unlimited messaging and data according to the website. Same deal with AT&T but only $69.99 over at Sprint.

I'm not sure how you get unlimited data but have a 5GB cap for data or whatever the 5GB thing is. I only say mention of 5GB on AT&T site when browsing through plans.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2009, 06:59:18 AM »
No, friends and family is not the same thing as a family shared plan.  The minimum for that is a 700 minute option/unlimited data and txt for $119.99/2 lines.  And apparently with that one, extra lines cost double at $19.98 :-/
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »
My family has unlimited everything, so essentially I (don't) pay $40 for the additional line and unlimited (5GB) data on my Omnia. Almost every carrier has a 5GB "cap" - they don't actually cut you off, they just throttle your speed down to dial-up levels. 5GB of data is generally more than enough for a phone, if you use more they assume you're tethering to a PC, etc., and penalize you. You can pay $45 for the "truly" unlimited data, at least on Verizon, unless that has changed. When comparing phone plans in general (take off the Droid), the iPhone has the most expensive plan. Also, I'm pretty sure T-Mobile has billshrink in their pocket, so the whole idea of the site is to make other providers look really expensive.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
I'd also recommend seeing if your employer/school has some sort of discount deal.  I get 20% off since my sister worked for Hilton, and I know California state employees get 15% off, which includes the university and students.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/emaildomainauthentication.jsp
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
I get 19% off my bill and 25% off of accessories.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
Do these new Android phones do multi-touch? That was the one major issue I had with the earlier Android phones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »
yes they do, but only one right now has pinch to zoom.
I would assume that p2z is only a firmware upgrade or app away though since one Android phone already supports it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2009, 04:04:56 PM »
Cool, if I weren't such an Apple fanboy I'd look into these next time I was buying a phone.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
Is it hot in here? because it seems like AT&T can't take the heat.

Whoa -- we just got word that AT&T is suing Verizon for false advertising over Big Red's "There's a map for that" ads. We're reading the complaint and motion to stop the ads right now, but here's what AT&T says is the big problem:

In essence, we believe the ads mislead consumers into believing that AT&T doesn't offer ANY wireless service in the vast majority of the country. In fact, AT&T's wireless network blankets the US, reaching approximately 296M people. Additionally, our 3G service is available in over 9,600 cities and towns. Verizon's misleading advertising tactics appear to be a response to AT&T's strong leadership in smartphones. We have twice the number of smartphone customers... and we've beaten them two quarters in a row on net post-paid subscribers. We also had lower churn -- a sign that customers are quite happy with the service they receive.

AT&T also says its network reaches about the same number of people as Verizon's, so we're thinking it's a little miffed that it's being portrayed as an also-ran here. We'll update as we learn more, keep it locked!

Update: So this seems like a very narrow lawsuit, actually. As we've been told, AT&T thinks Verizon is trying to fool viewers into thinking that they can't use any AT&T phone services outside of 3G coverage areas by showing two essentially different maps. Since Verizon's entire network is 3G, the gaps in the red map are actual service gaps -- but Verizon doesn't show that the gaps on the AT&T map might be covered by AT&T's huge 2G network. We can see how that could be misleading, but at some point you've got to compare apples to apples, and AT&T even says it has "no quarrel with Verizon advertising its larger 3G network" in its complaint, so we'll see how the court reacts.

Update 2: Interestingly, Verizon's already changed the ads once at AT&T's behest, editing them to remove the phrase "out of touch" and adding a "Voice and data services available outside of 3G areas" small print disclaimer at the end. Apparently that wasn't enough for AT&T, which says the ads still confuse non-technical viewers into thinking AT&T provides no service at all outside of its 3G coverage.

Update 3: Okay, we've read everything -- there's really not much more to this suit than the arguments over the maps. We're thinking Verizon could have easily dealt with this by just using dark blue and light blue on the AT&T map to differentiate between 3G and 2G coverage, but at this point we don't think Ma Bell is all that interested in anything except getting these ads off the air. All that said, it's hard to deny that Verizon's ads made a perfectly valid point: using an iPhone on AT&T's network in New York or San Francisco is an exercise in frustration, regardless of whether you have 2G or 3G, and we've had zero problems on Verizon. Let's just hope AT&T is working as hard to fight these ads with its actual service as it is with its lawyers.

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/3g/#3Gbasics

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »
That commercial is definitely misleading; look at the 3G coverage map on AT&T's site versus the one in the commercial. I don't know how Verizon's manipulating it to make it look the way it is without being flagrant false advertising. According to the map in the Verizon commercial there's no 3G on AT&T where I am, but I get 3G pretty much everywhere around here.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
They're just using AT&T's published map.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
No they're not, unless they're using an incredibly outdated version of it; AT&T's map is a lot more filled in than that.

EDIT: Okay, maybe it's not as filled in as I thought, but it still looks like more than the map in the commercial. AT&T sucks, but not as much as Verizon seems to indicate. **** Verizon for saying no to the iPhone in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:53:50 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
Verizon is already kicking themselves for that one. But AT&T has no case on this from what I'm seeing.

edit: DROID on Jimmy Fallon last night.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:21:06 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »
No, AT&T does suck just as much as Verizon indicates. They're not doing anything wrong with their commercials, and AT&T's own map is why I didn't switch to the iPhone a few years ago. I think it's hilarious that AT&T is trying to sue Verizon over accurate advertising, it's not going to bode well for AT&T in the end. I think they're just upset that they're going to lose the iPhone exclusivity soon, so they're trying to shut down these commercials to keep their customers (or future potential customers) from going to another provider.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
Oh yeah, bitches.

Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »
I'm so jealous. Hope you do a blog entry on it. An unboxing and first impressions complete with lots of pics.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
Indeed, I will.  There's so much to this phone, and I've never owned a smartphone, so it's going to take a while to see everything there is to see.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Google Maps Navigation is going to be awesome. I hope they release a Windows Mobile version soon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »
Good news for anyone looking to get a droid and not currently on Verizon & those already on contract.

click the pics for links
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:39:56 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »
Weird, that site doesn't offer data plans to go with the phone.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2009, 03:12:40 AM »
I noticed that too, but when I saw that you had replied, I was expecting a response with some cuss words since you probably paid more than that, even if not much more.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2009, 09:13:06 AM »
I haven't paid anything... yet.

Is anybody going to switch to Verizon for this?  If you are, let me know and I'll enter you as a referral, which will net you a $25 debit card.
Aaron Kaluszka