Author Topic: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?  (Read 63622 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2009, 01:41:23 AM »
I'm following all the rules (3 to 16 characters, start with a letter, not match my e-mail address or password)

Why shouldn't it match your email address?  Surely that's what most people probably want...

That's how World War II was started?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
For anyone out there still on the fence, is Uncharted 2 pushing you over at all?  As good as this game looks to be (Adam Sessler said in the 5/5 G4 review it was the "best single player experience he's ever had"), I don't see it having the same pull as a Gears of War.  This is probably due to a lack of space marines and a more meaningful storyline.  But who knows, perhaps Sony can find a clever way to advertise it.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2009, 03:56:13 PM »
For anyone out there still on the fence, is Uncharted 2 pushing you over at all? 

Not really.  Netflix would push me over the edge.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »
Surely a lack of space marines (most creaky and pathetic concept ever) is an advantage.

I've just finished playing the original Uncharted, and it's a true gem (it's the real successor to RE4, I think; has much of the same vibe, and way better than RE5).

By all reports Uncharted 2 is significantly better, and that's really saying something...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
I've just finished playing the original Uncharted, and it's a true gem (it's the real successor to RE4, I think; has much of the same vibe, and way better than RE5).

By all reports Uncharted 2 is significantly better, and that's really saying something...

I wouldn't call Uncharted a successor to RE4, as it's a very different kind of game mostly based on taking cover and killing hoards of armed opponents boasting supernatural aim.  A much better example of an RE4 successor is Dead Space, which is a very similar game but with the addition of being able to move while aiming.

As for the original Uncharted, I thought it was alright but nothing special outside of the dialogue and music.  I have a lot of problems with the monotony of spending 20 minutes behind a stone column fighting off endless waves of goons, and from the looks of it the only thing Uncharted 2 does different in that respect is that instead of spending 20 minutes behind one column it's broken up into 5-10 minute chunks behind multiple columns.  It doesn't fix the underlying problem that having to go behind cover and fight off wave after wave of goons isn't interesting when you have to stop and do it every 5 frickin' steps.  Still, the reviews of the second game have me definitely looking towards picking it up sooner rather than later.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2009, 01:27:50 AM »

I have a lot of problems with the monotony of spending 20 minutes behind a stone column fighting off endless waves of goons

I totally hear you there, that drove me nuts!  But I think they adjusted that, I've played a couple co-op levels from the beta and demo, and badies aren't nearly the sponges they once were.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2009, 03:41:14 AM »

I wouldn't call Uncharted a successor to RE4, as it's a very different kind of game mostly based on taking cover and killing hoards of armed opponents boasting supernatural aim.

I disagree; I've played though both many times, and they have a very similar vibe.  Despite the nominal attachment to the RE universe, RE4 has far, far, more "fight off waves of goons" gameplay than it does horror or whatever.  Like uncharted, it's essentially a shooting game that puts you on a linear trip through a bunch of beautifully designed set-pieces for the above goon-fighting.

The fact that most of the baddies in RE4 don't have projectile weapons does mean there's less hiding behind cover and more running around, but in stages where many do have projectile weapons, you actually do a lot of hiding and sniping from cover too (you very quickly die if you don't).  Ammo management is a very important part of both games.  RE4 mostly doesn't have the platforming, of course.

Both are notable doing a very good job of hiding the linear stage-based nature behind a lot of gorgeous architecture with a unifying sense of a larger map (RE5 falls down badly here -- it doesn't do a good job of setting the stages into a larger whole, so it feels much more constricting, like you're being herded through a bunch of sets).

One very notable difference is that RE4 (and 5) have bosses whereas Uncharted doesn't.

Uncharted does have a better sense of immersion, with the lack of things like a map, inventory, shops ,etc, and has better enemy (and partner) AI.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:46:35 AM by mac<censored> »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »
From CAG
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238705
Hello all. Go here:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3773027&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-Ty3qwJ28FpC17DsLzDHZqA

And add the PS3 Slim(or older version) to your cart. In the promotional codes, put in:

* 930354 (takes $10 off your total)
* 931073 (20% off your order, only can be used for 1 item)

The total will come to $229.99 but you have to pay for shipping and tax. I am unaware of any promo codes for free shipping. For me, it came out to $257 after that. This is still a great price for a PS3 and you can use up your gift cards from the Batman deal etc. The promo codes can't be used on 360's or Wiis. It can be used on the Nintendo DSi.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
Okay, I'm seriously considering picking up a PS3 this week but I'm too lazy to do my own research. I already own a 360 and would prefer to play most multiplatform games on that, so I'm looking for PS3 exclusives that I should be thinking about. I'm already looking at Uncharted, Little Big Planet, MLB The Show, and Valkyria Chronicles and I'm not interested in MGS; is there anything good I'm missing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 10, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »
Okay, I'm seriously considering picking up a PS3 this week but I'm too lazy to do my own research. I already own a 360 and would prefer to play most multiplatform games on that, so I'm looking for PS3 exclusives that I should be thinking about. I'm already looking at Uncharted, Little Big Planet, MLB The Show, and Valkyria Chronicles and I'm not interested in MGS; is there anything good I'm missing.

Be sure to check the Toys  R Us ad tomorrow then, there may be buy 2 get one free on all console games.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 10, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
There are a lot of downloadable exclusives on PSN, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you about those.  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 10, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »

Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time is coming out towards the end of this month, but there's also Tools Of Destruction which is $29.99.

Super Stardust HD, and The Last Guy from the PSN. I think they both have a demo.

I have yet to try Demon's Souls, but it's been getting some good reviews.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »

The consensus seems fairly clear on that one:  it's an interesting, pretty, and well done game, that's so insanely hard it will have you bleeding through your eyeballs just to press <start> at the beginning.  Everything kills you, it's incredibly easy to die, dying punts you back to the beginning of the level (and often causes you to lose everything), levels are not easy to get through and you often end up dying near the end, and.... dying, in some cases, causes the game difficulty to increase.  Also you can't pause the game.

That guy who finished uncharted in 6 hours should eat it up tho...

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 10, 2009, 11:39:22 PM »

The consensus seems fairly clear on that one:  it's an interesting, pretty, and well done game, that's so insanely hard it will have you bleeding through your eyeballs just to press <start> at the beginning.  Everything kills you, it's incredibly easy to die, dying punts you back to the beginning of the level (and often causes you to lose everything), levels are not easy to get through and you often end up dying near the end, and.... dying, in some cases, causes the game difficulty to increase.  Also you can't pause the game.

Huh, not sure how I missed this title, but it looks pretty good.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
dying punts you back to the beginning of the level (and often causes you to lose everything)

You can go back to where you died and collect your stuff, but the same enemy that killed you will still be there, and if you die a second time you will definitely loose everything.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2009, 11:49:18 PM »

All reasons (and more) that I'm steadfastly ignoring Demon's Souls.  Sorry, but Atlus can have my money again when they put Persona 5 on the PS3.  I don't need something that looks that uninteresting and that difficult clogging up my backlog.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #291 on: October 12, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
I forget what the subgenre is called, but Demon's Souls looks a lot like that dungeon crawler I reviewed on the DS last year. Remember that one? With the girl with the huge rack? Izuma, that's it. Izuma 2. You die all the time but keep the XP. It is a genre I despise.

I forgot about R&C. Now I'm going to be totally broke. Tomorrow I'm grabbing Brutal Legend, and I hope to get Batman and/or Call of Duty 4 2 for my birthday. Maybe I'll get some money from the grandparents, and I can use THAT on R&C. Crap, that's a helluva backlog.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
All you Demon's Souls haters need to get in the Waaaaaaahmbulance.  ;-)  Great game, but not for the feint of heart.

As for exclusives...

Folklore
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Infamous
Resistance: Fall of Man (I prefer it to Resistance 2, but I like both titles)
Soldner-X (side-scrolling shooter)
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (the only Mario Golf game this generation, totally awesome)
Warhawk (forgotten classic, very good Battlefield 1942-ish online game that still has an active, dedicated community)

I would toss Gran Turismo 5: Prologue on here, but it will shortly be redundant with GT5 coming out.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
^All those games (except hot shots) suck
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:08 AM »
I would toss Gran Turismo 5: Prologue on here, but it will shortly be redundant with GT5 coming out.

I'm a bit concerned now for GT 5 now that the PSP game has launched.  Its pretty much a disaster after 5 years.  But then again, I enjoyed Prologue, so as long as they build on top of that, it should be pretty hard to screw it up.  Rookie PSP mistake I suppose.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
All you Demon's Souls haters need to get in the Waaaaaaahmbulance.  ;-)  Great game, but not for the feint of heart.

As for exclusives...

Folklore
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Infamous
Resistance: Fall of Man (I prefer it to Resistance 2, but I like both titles)
Soldner-X (side-scrolling shooter)
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (the only Mario Golf game this generation, totally awesome)
Warhawk (forgotten classic, very good Battlefield 1942-ish online game that still has an active, dedicated community)

I got Infamous. I didn't get Resistance because I didn't want more than one FPS. I don't think I could bring myself to play a golf game with a standard controller after playing Tiger Woods 10 with Motion Plus. I'm planning on getting Motorstorm: Pacific Rift tomorrow when I get Uncharted 2. I would have already bought Warhawk if there were any kind of single-player component, even just bots.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 14, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »
I still don't get Hot Shots golf. I tried the demo and it was just ok, but I wasn't hooked. Bad demo perhaps?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
For anyone out there still on the fence, is Uncharted 2 pushing you over at all? 

Netflix Streaming Coming to PlayStation 3

Damnit.  Now I need $300.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »

Netflix Streaming Coming to PlayStation 3

Damnit.  Now I need $300.

But do you need the disc in the drive the entire time, or only to install it the first time?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
Good question, I'm curious about that, too.

I just nabbed the first Uncharted. I'm psyched, but I need to finish Corruption (almost done) and start Spyborgs (I'm reviewing it) and maybe get a bit farther in Brutal Legend before I get into it heavily.

Unless it's a short game. Is it short? Uncharted, I mean. Can I blow through it in a couple of days?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.