Author Topic: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?  (Read 63832 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »
While I agree that irrational fanboy HD hate is stupid, you cannot deny that with these prettier graphics there seem to be more and more "me too!" games when it comes to style. Sure there are games that aren't the stereotypical shades of BrownHDTM, but you know what they say... most stereotypes have a basis in fact. High-end graphical output doesn't mean everygame has to have such a realistic look to it, but unfortunately thats what we've gotten; for every Banjo Kazooie 3 there's a dozen gritty bald space marines.

What easycure said. One game I'd point at is Viva Pinata, a beautiful game that benefits from HD graphics but it is also visually creative and engaging.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2009, 12:41:29 PM »
Re: Silent Hill

Massive slowdown, huh? It must be a direct port! :-D
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:54 PM »
Seems kind of ridiculous Sony wouldn't optimize Silent Hill to run well with the smoothing on. Even Nintendo bumped the resolution and framerate with N64 games on VC.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:59:10 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »
Even Nintendo bumped the resolution and framerate with N64 games.

And usually they don't bother with such things, only minor stuff like adding soundbits from one game to a port of another (marios voice in the GBA SMB titles). Big surprise to see Sony not put any extra bit of effort in one of their more recognizable series.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
I like how the controllers are rechargeable so I don't have to buy a bunch of AA batteries (hint hint, Nintendo)
This is actually what I don't really like about the PS3: basically, when the batteries inside your controller die, you will have to buy a new one. With the Wiimotes, you just have to put new batteries in and you're ready to go!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
I like how the controllers are rechargeable so I don't have to buy a bunch of AA batteries (hint hint, Nintendo)
This is actually what I don't really like about the PS3: basically, when the batteries inside your controller die, you will have to buy a new one. With the Wiimotes, you just have to put new batteries in and you're ready to go!

I'd argue that by the time your Dualshock 2's batteries die for good, you've probably beaten the crap out of it and it needs to be replaced anyway.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
Wow.  Best Sony ad I've seen in years, that should move a few units.  Quick, slick, to the point, and actually funny.  Gotta love the blogger dude wearing the Three Keyboard Cat Moon shirt.  Nice touch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1xTcQwu-8&feature=related

Even funnier.  They had to edit it.  Guess which rarely picked on group was offended.  Here is the new version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyVhP46xCQw
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »
You mean they're better than the abstract crap they had that nobody understood.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2009, 06:39:34 AM »
You mean they're better than the abstract crap they had that nobody understood.

Speaking of "abstract crap", Silent Hill 1 is one strange game...even by the twisted standards of the Silent Hill series.  All I have to say is this: Shattered Memories can only improve upon this game, especially in the cast of creatures.  It is interesting to see that the falling particles in the original Silent Hill are actually supposed to be snow, not ash like later installments would incorporate.  That's one thing apparently the remake will have in common with the original, anyway.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 13, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »
I'd argue that by the time your Dualshock 2's batteries die for good, you've probably beaten the crap out of it and it needs to be replaced anyway.
You would be suprised if I showed you my gaming collection hardware and peripherals. My SNES Capcom Fighting Power Stick is still in awesome condition!  ;)
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
I think the WWI joke is funnier than the Nigerian millionaire joke anyways.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »

Except that if I'm interpreting the joke correctly, it makes no factual sense.  World War I was started by Serbian Terrorists who assassinated Ferdinand of Austria.  The Austrian Empire then decided to inflict punishment for his killing upon the entire nation of Serbia with a significant series of demands, which triggered a sequence of events and entangling alliances both religious and political that set off World War I.  It wasn't started by misinformation, which is supposed to be the joke and made perfect sense with the "Nigerian Millionaire" version.

It's stuff like this that really bugs me.  Sony decided to reference a war that even when it was being waged most people didn't actually understand, and the general masses probably understand it even less now.  It's just remembered as "that pointless war that was fought for no apparent reason with no apparent goal" and "that terrible war with trench warfare."  Sony could have referenced World War II in this joke and gotten away with it (you could make an argument that Hitler's claims that the Jews in the government were responsible for Germany losing WW1 and thus crippling Germany were classic examples of misinformation driving the masses), but no.  That would then piss of the Germans instead, so let's make a reference that most people are going to laugh at without actually understanding it!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:39:48 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:37 PM »
Thats the joke.... Sony is spreading the misinformation.... ::quickly retreats back to the Funhouse::

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2009, 01:24:42 PM »
The entire joke is the fact that he's completely misinformed, yet he is claiming to be (and considers himself) an authority.  Having something be a LOT wrong is funnier than something being just a little wrong (like Wii Music...HEY-OH).
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 14, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »

Except that if I'm interpreting the joke correctly, it makes no factual sense.  World War I was started by Serbian Terrorists who assassinated Ferdinand of Austria.  The Austrian Empire then decided to inflict punishment for his killing upon the entire nation of Serbia with a significant series of demands, which triggered a sequence of events and entangling alliances both religious and political that set off World War I.  It wasn't started by misinformation, which is supposed to be the joke and made perfect sense with the "Nigerian Millionaire" version.

It's stuff like this that really bugs me.  Sony decided to reference a war that even when it was being waged most people didn't actually understand, and the general masses probably understand it even less now.  It's just remembered as "that pointless war that was fought for no apparent reason with no apparent goal" and "that terrible war with trench warfare."  Sony could have referenced World War II in this joke and gotten away with it (you could make an argument that Hitler's claims that the Jews in the government were responsible for Germany losing WW1 and thus crippling Germany were classic examples of misinformation driving the masses), but no.  That would then piss of the Germans instead, so let's make a reference that most people are going to laugh at without actually understanding it!

The Sony rep claimed that WWI started because of what people read on the Internet.  I can't believe you wrote a two paragraph rebuttal. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »

The Sony rep claimed that WWI started because of what people read on the Internet.  I can't believe you wrote a two paragraph rebuttal.

Whatever.  Fine, I misinterpreted the joke; we all had a good laugh at my expense; and now we move on.  I guess I'm just a little touchy about perceived ignorance regarding that particular conflict because I was just in France a couple years ago visiting WWI historical sites and researching that time period.  I still think the original joke was better, though, and that Sony are cowards to cow-tow to Nigeria like that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:56:31 PM by broodwars »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
The entire joke is the fact that he's completely misinformed, yet he is claiming to be (and considers himself) an authority.  Having something be a LOT wrong is funnier than something being just a little wrong (like Wii Music...HEY-OH).

Yeah.  Its a great line.  Which is the first version I saw on tv last week.  I lol'd.

Even funnier though is learning of the Nigerian response.  You just can't make stuff like that up.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 16, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
"Except that if I'm interpreting the joke correctly, it makes no factual sense."

hehe,    over the head..   

This is most definatly a play on their factual battles in history that involved giant crabs... .(did ya forget?)

So, for a company taking a jab at itself.. they got some brownie points with that.  The WWI joke was awesome.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2009, 09:12:03 PM »
Just ordered "Uncharted" -- only about $25!

[My final judgement of RE5 -- very solid technically, but ultimately uninspired.  RE4 was satisfyingly dank, weird, fun, and interesting, even kinda cheeky, and you felt like they had a great time making it.  RE5, on the other hand, felt very by-the-numbers, a sequel turned out for business reasons.]

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 18, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »
I've never had any desire to pick up RE5.  It just seemed...redundant.  After RE4 I expected them to take the "next step", but my impression is that they churned out effectively the same game with the addition of an AI buddy.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 18, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
I've never had any desire to pick up RE5.  It just seemed...redundant.  After RE4 I expected them to take the "next step", but my impression is that they churned out effectively the same game with the addition of an AI buddy.

No matter.  Dead Space took that "next step" for them with increased control and an actual horror element.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
I agree the WWI joke was funnier.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 30, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
Is there a way to get a PSN ID w/o a PS3 or PS2?

Yes: http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/SignUp

So I've tried to sign up for an ID and I keep getting a stupid error message stating The online ID you entered cannot be used.  Please choose another online ID.  I'm following all the rules (3 to 16 characters, start with a letter, not match my e-mail address or password) and it's still giving me problems.  I even picked a random string of letters that couldn't possibly be taken and got the same error message.

What gives?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
I'm following all the rules (3 to 16 characters, start with a letter, not match my e-mail address or password)

Why shouldn't it match your email address?  Surely that's what most people probably want...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 30, 2009, 11:11:23 PM »
Beats me--I didn't make up the rules.