Author Topic: DSi owners' thread  (Read 53164 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: DSi owners' thread
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2009, 11:49:57 PM »
Well, I bought a DSi. I figured it was inevitable and I might as well do it now because I had the money and I wanted the free 1000 points. I can't seem to get it to register on the campus network, though, and I didn't have any trouble getting my Wii or 360 hooked up. I have to find a way to get it connected soon to get the free points.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2009, 01:44:43 PM »
Go to a McDonalds.  (They still have the DS wifi spots, right?)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2009, 02:06:05 PM »
I got it onto the network and it's able to connect, but when I try to download the system update it gets about halfway done and then gives me an error message. I plugged it into Nintendo's site and it says it means it can't connect to the server. Every time I try it starts out just fine, and according to the bar it gets about halfway done, but then it always fails at the same spot.

EDIT: I was able to connect to the WFC from within a game without any issues, so I don't think this is a problem with my network.

ANOTHER EDIT: Okay, I've got it working most of the time. There's no way to play games off the SD card, is there? I may be out of blocks by the end of the day.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:08:35 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »
There's no way to play games off the SD card, is there? I may be out of blocks by the end of the day.

Not yet.  You really would have thought that Nintendo would have learned by now, wouldn't you?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
If the block sizes on Wikipedia are accurate and I were to buy every DSiWare game I'm interested in I wouldn't be able to fit all of them in the internal memory. That brings back unpleasant memories I had hoped to be rid of forever.

The DSi launched in North America after the storage solution for Wii was already in place, there's no excuse for this. Also, I'm surprised Nintendo was able to find someone who was still making flash memory chips as low as 256 MB; that can't possibly have saved them any money.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »
Is the flash mem on the DSi a dedicated chip or did they build it into one of the processor dice to save money and space?

Anyway, my DSi still has plenty of free space and I downloaded a ton of games for it, the first six art styles, Oscar in Toyland, Minis March Again and Suujin Taisen.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2009, 07:00:07 AM »
I downloaded 11 games and have about 250 blocks left. I found a good deal on SD cards so I was buying a bigger one for my Wii and I picked up a second for my DSi. In 2 years, when Nintendo fixes the storage problem on the DSi, I'll be ready.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the stylus doesn't stay in its slot very securely? It comes out of mine really easily when I don't want it to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
I don't have this problem.  Have you tried swapping out your stylus with the spare that was included?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
Yeah, I should probably give that a try. It's really annoying to accidentally pull the stylus out because my hand brushed against my DSi when I reach into the pocket to get my phone.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2010, 01:23:35 AM »
I finally bought a nice black DSi.  :)

It's pretty. Anyone got some good DSiWare game recommendations for me to try?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2010, 02:25:04 AM »
Pictobits is one of the first things you should buy. It's a fantastic puzzle game with a Tetris DS presentation. I also picked up Aquia, Boxlife, Precipice, and Mighty Flip Champs. They're all fun in their own ways, but I'd suggest watching Youtube to get a feel for them.

Thorium Wars got some good reviews. It's kind of like Starfox from what I've heard. Bejeweled and Bookworm are also available, if you're into super casual puzzle games. Haven't tried them out, but I think they're probably solid.

I'd also suggest waiting for Shantae when it comes out. It looks great for a downloadable title.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:26 AM »
Trajectile, Army Defender, DQ Wars, MvDK, Suujin Taisen. I didn't like the Art Style games that much though Nemrem is probably my favourite. MFC is not to my liking at all since there's no way to browse through all the pages and plan ahead.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »
Trajactile, Boxlife, Digidrive, Mighty Flip Champs are my votes.

Trajactile is like puzzle bobble but with limited missiles, and specific bricks to shoot.

Boxlife is great if you find catharsis in organizing things just so, great for OCD.

Digidrive is a solid puzzle game with neat mechanics, but with a strong element of chance.  Sort of like all the art style games.

Mighty Flip Champs is just a well made puzzle game.  Some trial and error involved, and sometimes you don't even realize how you solved it, but full of those great "AH HA" moments.  PLUS it has a STELLAR soundtrack, and nice character design.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2010, 04:41:47 AM »
How similar is DQ Wars to Intelligent System's other series, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars? Always been curious of that one.

For some reason the stylus doesn't seem to feel like it slides as smoothly as on my Lite. I get the sense that it is faintly scratching it. But I've yet to see any scratches. Do you guys think it's possible I'm ruining it and just haven't noticed the damage yet? I never scratched my DS Lite once even with stylus intensive games like the Trauma Centers and World Ends With You so I didn't think I would need a protector but I'm having my doubts now.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2010, 07:56:27 AM »
No idea, I stuck a protector on mine ASAP since my old DS is pretty scratched up.

DQ Wars is not like an SRPG at all, it's more like a board game with the way it plays. It's a lot about positioning and support abilities on your units.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
I would like to see Nintendo release a movie player for the DSi. The movies could be played off an SD card and possibly purchased from itunes for viewing. Of course movie files would take up much space in the SD card. I just think that since the PSP can play movies, so should the DSi. However, when the successor for the DSi is released maybe it will have  the ability to play movies.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2010, 05:35:54 AM »
I don't think the DSi has enough memory to even stream movies off of an SD card.

The Wii is getting streamed videos on Netflix so maybe if that get popular then the DS successor will have some sort of video playback feature.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
You can be pretty damn sure Apple will not let competitors tie into Itunes that easily. Anyway, if you want a movie player get a PSP. The DS didn't get to where it is by copying the PSP.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
I'm eyeing the DS Obese so I have to know, are there any localized action-RPGs (not turn-based) that aren't called Castlevania?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
TWEWY

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
Really?  It's free-roaming melee combat?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
You didn't say 'free-roaming melee combat'.  You said 'action-RPGs'.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
I must be antiquated.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
Henry Hatsworth might fit the bill.  It's level-based, but the levels are large and you'll need to return to previous levels to find secrets once you gain new powers.  It's also balls-hard.