Author Topic: DSi owners' thread  (Read 53155 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: DSi owners' thread
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »
Screen Protectors

They're great!
You win. I'll give them a shot.

I returned the Rocketfish screen protectors and spent all day today finding a better alternative. I found the Nintendo endorsed ones which were $8 and came with 3 styli and a DS card case. That means, I spent $8 on 3 styli and a DS card case because the screen protectors were utter garbage. They even spelled screen wrong on the instructions. They didn't even fit the screens completely.

The best screen shield I ever bought was made by Pelican for the DS Lite. They were pretty good quality and completely filled the screen. They even came with a screen smoother for the air bubbles that didn't scratch the shields.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »
These don't come with a screen smoother, but you can use a credit card or the like.  They don't scratch. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
WarioWare isn't a very big game... but it does a good job making fun of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILQSqDMkt8
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
My girlfriend let me play around with it before taking it away. :<

But I really dig it's feel and everything.  The speakers are what surprised me the most, the sound quailty is so nice.  The DSiware is great too, I downloaded  B&B and Aquia (which is really addictive).  I love the voice recorder.   

Unfortunately the DSi has been put up until the day I celebrate my birthday (the 18th).   
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »
One hour and a bunch of clicking later, I'm an "elite" level member and am wondering what to spend my new found 1,100 coins on.  :)

What the Hell is an Elite level member?!  I thought the highest it went was Platinum?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
One hour and a bunch of clicking later, I'm an "elite" level member and am wondering what to spend my new found 1,100 coins on.  :)

What the Hell is an Elite level member?!  I thought the highest it went was Platinum?

It's the secret level you attain after getting 1000 coins. You get a free meet n' greet with Reggie, Cammy and Miyamoto and become a board member for the year. /wishful thinking

In all seriousness I would guess it is a different regions title for Platinum level.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
One last thing since I can't mess around with the DSi for a while.  Is there anyway to make the shoulder button switch songs rather than make the sound board noises when the DS is closed?

Would make a lot of since.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:41 AM »
OK, I'll bite too on the screen protectors too.  Hopefully, I can find time to order them later this week.

And to honor the release of the new system, my website's comic:

Enjoy!  ;D
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline iMac430

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • b0und in b1nary
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
The screens do seem larger (at least on the black model they do). The resolution is the same though, so there wont be anything else on the screen, but what is on the screen may seem a tad bit bigger.

I made a seperate thread for this and I was not getting help, but rather bashed for my user name. I have a simple question: Which brightness level do you use on the new DSi? 4 is the default. Considereding both battery life AND comfort/visibility, etc. of the screen - which brightness level do you guys like when comparing the brightness to the battery life? Are you getting the battery life estimates listed by Nintendo or more/less for the brightness level you use? Thank you very much.
Systems I own: Wii, DSi, DS lite, DS, GBA SP, GBA, GCN, GBC, GBP, N64, SNES, NES

boundinbinary.com - I make my own music on my site!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »
I don't understand why you're asking.  If you own one, you can find out for yourself.  I don't, so I can't help.  Sorry.

Offline iMac430

• View Profile
    • b0und in b1nary
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »
I'm asking what screen brightness OTHER people use (like a poll, somewhat). I'm curious if they use the default (level 4) or go to the highest brightness and sacrifice even more battery life or if they go any lower than that. There are people here who have a DSi and they obviously have it set at one of the five brightness settings, so I am just curious as to which one and what kind of battery life they are getting.
Systems I own: Wii, DSi, DS lite, DS, GBA SP, GBA, GCN, GBC, GBP, N64, SNES, NES

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »
Brightness Level 4 for me.

Anyone download any of the DSi Ware games yet?
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline iMac430

• View Profile
    • b0und in b1nary
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »
@bosshgx - I downloaded Art Style: Aquia, and it is a lot of fun. It takes a few rounds to get used to how the blocks move and line up, but then it is really fun and the music is pretty good too, especially if you use headphones. You said you use the 4th brightness setting - do you leave wireless enabled (yellow LED light), AND do you get around the 4-6 hrs. of battery life that Nintendo suggests or longer/shorter do you think? Do you charge it every day? Thanks.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »
I got Snapped and B&B - downloaded Brain Age Express Math for my wife.  The two ports are pretty much what you'd expect.  Snapped is more of a "Look what this can do" tech-demo than anything.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 08:53:05 AM »
@bosshgx - I downloaded Art Style: Aquia, and it is a lot of fun. It takes a few rounds to get used to how the blocks move and line up, but then it is really fun and the music is pretty good too, especially if you use headphones. You said you use the 4th brightness setting - do you leave wireless enabled (yellow LED light), AND do you get around the 4-6 hrs. of battery life that Nintendo suggests or longer/shorter do you think? Do you charge it every day? Thanks.

I leave all my settings on default for my DSi, which includes lighting level 4 and wireless enabled.  I have a daily routine in place of recharging my DSi, personal cell, work cell, and mp3 player so I hardly ever run out of battery life.  For people who don't charge that often, maybe reducing the lighting level or disabling wifi would be a smart move.  Whatever.  I think the best way to approach it is to play your system for a few weeks and take note of how often the battery lasts.  If you notice the system isn't lasting as long as you'd like, then start turning off/down the features.  Seems fairly uncomplicated to me.

I got Snapped and B&B - downloaded Brain Age Express Math for my wife.  The two ports are pretty much what you'd expect.  Snapped is more of a "Look what this can do" tech-demo than anything.

Brain Age Express Math sounds like fun.  I loved the math parts of the first BA.  I always thought that certain games should be installed straight to the hardware itself.  Brain Age and Planet Puzzle Challenge come to mind...oh, and Picross.  Picross....mmmm....such a tasty game...
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
BTW, I have to correct my earlier claim that the DSi doesn't do WPA, it has a second connection setup menu ("advanced settings") that can cope with WPA just fine, I was using a WPA2-TPIK WLAN recently. Trying to add the connection gave me a "you have to use advanced settings for this" message, the advanced settings had a second list of connections numbered 4-6 (I assume 1-3 are for compatibility with DS software, haven't taken my DS games online before but I heard they use statically linked WLAN libraries so they can't access the DSi's WPA capability) and accepted the connection just fine, I used the browser and DSi Shop on it.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
I got the DSi on the launch date and am enjoying it a lot. My only beef is that while it's able to go online to the DSi Store it won't enable wifi for my DS games to get a new friend code. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »
I just ordered my screen protectors from that BestSkinEver site you linked to Bob.  I was reviewing the instructions and it mentioned something about water or whatever.  Does that apply to the DSi ones as well?  I'd prefer not to get any liquids anywhere near my new baby, if you know what I'm saying.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 10:46:26 AM »
Yes, it does.  I understand your nervousness - but if you follow the directions, there's nothing to worry about. :)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »

It's the secret level you attain after getting 1000 coins. You get a free meet n' greet with Reggie, Cammy and Miyamoto and become a board member for the year. /wishful thinking

In all seriousness I would guess it is a different regions title for Platinum level.

Nah, it's just what you are called after you reach Platinum status. Once you reach Platinum status you are considered an "Elite" member.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:26:42 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »
Jumping from the Phat to the i, I would say they do because of the size contrast.  It was especially noticeable when I fired up Pokemon for the first time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
Hey what colors are available?  I like bright happy colors, or blue or green. Anything along those lines yet? or just black?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »
Hey what colors are available?  I like bright happy colors, or blue or green. Anything along those lines yet? or just black?

Black and white. I got a white one.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
Aww man! Will anyone be able to tell me if its region free like the last DS's?  I got my special yellow pikachu one from japan, so I might do the same for DSI. But I want spicy orange consarnite!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Interesting - Pause Birds and Beans - a small speaker icon shows up - it changes based on how loud/soft you have the volume control set to.