Author Topic: REVIEWS: Guitar Hero: On Tour  (Read 12390 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
REVIEWS: Guitar Hero: On Tour
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
On Tour never feels like you're playing guitar, but it occasionally feels like you're playing Guitar Hero.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=16282

Would Guitar Hero be as much fun without the guitar controller?  Guitar Hero: On Tour definitively settles this question—and the answer is negative.  Not only does the DS interface break the fantasy of playing guitar, but the retrofitted controls don't work well with the gameplay.  Maybe it says a lot about the Guitar Hero formula that On Tour is still fun to play despite these serious issues.    

The game's reliance on the touch screen for multiple functions proves to be its biggest problem.  Strumming just doesn’t feel right without any tactile feedback, and the strumming recognition is nebulous and inconsistent.  Guitar Hero players who normally use an up-down rhythm will have the most trouble, as strumming works best if you lift the stylus after every strum.  The uni-directional strum simulates the "bass guitar" style on the normal Guitar Hero controllers, which is difficult to perform quickly for fast chords or tremolo, as is often required on Hard and Expert.  The whammy effect is easy to use, but you have to be careful to quit warbling before the next note comes up, since there's no physical difference between strumming and using whammy. Also, it's very easy to accidentally use star power on the touch screen.  More customization, like being able to turn off star power touch activation, would help.  At least you can turn off the microphone activation of star power, which came in handy when I was riding the bus and the ambient noise set off my star power every time the meter filled up to the minimum level.    

The fret buttons are a bit small and too mushy.  I found it most comfortable to play without the strap, but there is no way to remove it completely (short of scissors).  It's tricky to hold the system, press the buttons, strum on the touch screen, and keep the other screen in view all at the same time; this problem is mostly alleviated by resting the DS (and your fretting hand) against something sturdy, like a table.  Overall, the Guitar Grip works quite well and feels pretty close to the fret buttons on the guitar controllers.    

The biggest difference is the lack of a fifth button.  This has the obvious effect of simplifying solos and taking certain chords out of the equation.  On a more subtle level, it removes a large part of Guitar Hero's strategy by ensuring that you never need to shift your hand.  Considering that you have to hold the entire system with that hand, it's an understandable design choice, but it also removes a lot of the challenge for fans who like to play on Hard and Expert.  On Tour overcompensates for the missing fret by making the note charts ridiculously complex at the higher difficulty levels, and the huge piles of notes don't jive well with the strumming problems mentioned earlier.      The quality of a music game's track selections is very subjective, so check the list and decide for yourself.  What I can say objectively is that the track list is only 25 songs (plus one bonus) and reuses several songs from Guitar Hero III.  Some of the pop songs are not as offensive as you might think, but that doesn't make them good guitar showcases.  I can admit to enjoying Maroon 5's "This Love", but it seems out of place next to Kiss and Santana.  "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is a good example of a modern song that is actually appropriate for a guitar game.  It's quite disappointing that 20% of the tracks are repeats from the previous game.  At least "Pride and Joy" has been upgraded to a master track; the cover version in GH3 was atrocious.  The repeated tracks also highlight the interface and playability problems, as I found myself getting three stars on songs where I can easily score five stars in Guitar Hero III.  Some of the new tracks like "Heaven" and "Jet Airliner" are so good that I found myself wishing I could play them with a proper guitar controller.    

Guitar battles return from the previous game, but they are much improved here.  The goal is not to force your opponent to fail, but simply to perform better.  The mode is set up like a tug-of-war, and as long as the momentum meter is on your side by the end of the song, you win the duel.  Also improved are the attacks, which are more varied and more interesting than the smaller set used in Guitar Hero III.  The touch screen allows you to store up attacks and deploy them at will, but this means you have to stop strumming for a split second to launch attacks, which can lead to missed notes.  On Tour provides a separate Career mode consisting entirely of guitar battles, which is a nice feature for players who want to keep progressing beyond the standard mode.  You can also duel wirelessly with another player who has a copy of the game, but the lack of online play is odd considering Vicarious Visions' expertise on the system.     On Tour's best asset is its presentation, which enforces the illusion that you're playing Guitar Hero.  The note track looks identical to that in the console versions, and the 3D character graphics are almost as good as what we've seen on the PS2 and Wii so far.  The sound quality is crisp, and the vocals are neither muffled nor distorted. On the downside, there's not nearly enough bass in the sound mix, even with high quality headphones.  This makes it harder to keep the rhythm, which translates directly into your performance.  Finally, I have to point out that menu design is consistently bad throughout the Guitar Hero series.  Why do I have to click through seven or eight levels of menus to play the next song in Career mode?  On Tour doesn't even remember which difficulty level you played last or your initials for high scores.    

These annoyances are minor compared to the janky strumming and occasionally uncomfortable Guitar Grip.  The truncated track list is disappointing regardless of your musical preferences, but this point may be forgivable considering that On Tour is portable and about half the price of a console Guitar Hero with controller.  This game is ultimately an interesting experiment that can be a lot of fun in short bursts, so in that respect, it actually works on the DS.  I would recommend it for casual fans of the series and younger players who may be less demanding.  More advanced players who enjoy Guitar Hero on the Hard and Expert settings will likely be frustrated with an interface that breaks their note streaks and activates star power at inopportune moments.

Pros:

• Improved guitar battles
  •  
  • Some fun new songs
  •  
  • Looks and sounds like Guitar Hero

•        Cons:

• Lack of precision in controls
  •  
  • Anemic, rehashed track list
  •  
  • Simplified gameplay

•                Graphics:  9.0
           The 3D models and environments are truly impressive, though hard to enjoy while playing.  The note track also looks sharp and colorful.  New to this game is the touch screen display, which shows your guitar and various meters.

Sound:  8.0
           On Tour performs well in this important category, as the songs don't sound overly compressed or distorted, which has been a problem in some other DS music games.  The volume can be underwhelming, even through the usually potent DS speakers, so you'll want to stick with headphones (especially in public).  Unfortunately, even headphones don't help with the low end, which is too soft and may affect your ability to catch the rhythm.

Control:  5.0
           The controls work, but just barely.  Most of the problems lie not with the goofy Guitar Grip but with the DS touch screen, which is loaded with too many functions.  The strumming recognition is particularly bad and will impact your score at any difficulty level.  There's really no good way to activate star power, but the game will probably activate it for you... at the worst possible time.

Gameplay:  8.0
           Control issues aside, the game is still a lot of fun.  The missing fret button and its implications simplify the gameplay, which is unfortunate, but we're still left with a lot of good songs and tight note charts.  On Tour even manages to make guitar battles fun with its numerous tweaks to that mode.

Lastability:  6.0
           The diminished track selection offers this quandary: you can still keep playing for higher scores, but the inconsistent controls make it difficult to maintain the long chains and strategic use of star power necessary to push your score higher.  Multiplayer could be a lot of fun if you have the gear to make it happen.

Final:  7.0
           Guitar Hero: On Tour ranks near the bottom of this quickly expanding franchise, but the core gameplay proves to be resiliently fun despite an ill-conceived interface.      

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 27
      • View Profile
    Re: REVIEWS: Guitar Hero: On Tour
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
    I picked this up last week and I have to say that your review is pretty much spot on with how I feel about it.

Regardless of anything, its a pretty creative attempt by Vicarious Visions and it'll sell boatloads.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: -18986
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
    I'd love a harder 4-fret game, I've tried and tried but I can't get the hang of playing with 5 frets and medium keeps getting easier and easier, I want a challenge. I'm not paying 50 bucks for a game with that few tracks that doesn't work right, though.
    Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
    NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • Score: 42
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »
    I have to disagree with the review, I'm loving the game and it is an EXCELLENT handheld title. Is it as good as the main console franchise? Not sure, but then again it is created for a hand held which NEEDS to do things a bit differently.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:31:26 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Aero Leviathan

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
    Necessary flaws are flaws nonetheless, and 7 isn't a bad score. So what do you disagree with, exactly?

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
    • Score: 52
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »
    should give this game a 0 because it is guitar hero and guitar hero is trash. this is of course because i am already a real-life guitar hero and i don't need to dream or pretend that i am by playing crap vidya games.
    Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:30:40 AM »
    Necessary flaws are flaws nonetheless, and 7 isn't a bad score. So what do you disagree with, exactly?

Don't believe I said it had any flaws. I said that the two versions should not be compared because handheld gaming is a different animal from console gaming. For what it is, a portable version of Guitar Hero, it is brilliant. The controls work fine for me, yeah strumming takes practice but it is far from flawed. I guess my biggest problem with the review is that I feel it leans too heavily towards the hardcore Guitar Hero fans, while this version OBVIOUSLY tries to bring in casual gamers to the franchise who don't want to spend hours playing the console versions. It is very pick up and play with tons of fun for short bursts, which is what a quality handheld game is best at. Even the tracklist is fine.

Also who are you? Don't believe I've seen you.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:42:10 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • Score: 20
      • View Profile
      • PixlBit
    « Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »
    It seems to me this game isn't at all for hardcore Guitar Hero fans. With only 4 buttons and a pretty pop-ish soundtrack it goes against the conventions of the GH franchise.For the more casual audience this may be great, especially for the younger crowd.

Given how toolish I would look playing this game out in public, I doubt I'd play it anywhere else but at home. At that point it doesn't even make sense because the entire appeal (GH on the go) is gone.
    Check out PixlBit!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
    SO to avoid looking like a tool, you become one?
    FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
    Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GregLover5000

• View Profile
      • Shatterglass.net
    « Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
    I gotta agree with GoldenPhoenix. Of course it would be preferable to play with a guitar controller through a bigass Dolby Surround system...if you own a console and have that option. But for Joe DS Owner, this thing is pure fun; it's practically the Elite Beat Agents sequel I've been waiting for.

And speaking as a guitar player of 25 years' experience, "strumming" the touch screen does feel very much like playing guitar to me, and I'm pleasantly surprised how responsive it is. I've played Rock Band with my nephew and I love it to death, but that old-time water pump handle you use to "strum" kills me every time and requires a total rethink of how I play. And the fret buttons on the DS aren't unlike a good ol' Grip Master finger trainer you'd buy at Sam Ash, so that feels right at home too.

It's a fair review (I'd rate it 8.5 or 9), but to me there's no point comparing On Tour to a console game, 'cause I'm not buying this or the console version. To me the relevant comparison is to the other DS games out there, and the fun and replay value make this a great DS title.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 17
      • View Profile
      • When Pigs Fly Returns
    « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
    I have three gigantic beefs with the game:

1) Smash Mouth? Maroon 5? DAUGHTRY?

2) When you're holding a console guitar, the buttons are arranged more or less horizontally. And hey--the notes come toward you horizontally. On the DS, the buttons are arranged vertically, but the notes still appear horizontally. For me, anyway, there's a significant lag time where my brain translates GREEN doesn't mean LEFT, it means BOTTOM. Pinkie. It's not like there's a way around this problem, but it's a significant one, for my anyway.

3) Strumming sucks. How am I supposed to play "All the Small Things" on Hard without giving myself carpal-tunnel syndrome?
    This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
    GregLover (LOL), makes a good point, it should be compared to other DS games and how well it accomplishes creating a solid HANDHELD rhythm game experience.

Halbred, I personally had no trouble with finding the notes, so it appears to be a person by person thing. Interesting complaint though, I never thought of it like that. One thing I do find odd is how concerned you guys are about how others perceive you in public if you play it, unless you are walking around playing your DS (which looks goofy regardless of the game you have in it) I don't think anyone is going to care.

Strumming is perhaps the only semi-complaint I have about the game, but it doesn't ruin the fun for me.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:01:07 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Aero Leviathan

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:18 PM »
    Don't believe I said it had any flaws.
    Quite right; it's perfect in every way. I don't know how I didn't see that.

What is this supposed to mean? I am the internets.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:02:52 PM by Aero Leviathan »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »
    Don't believe I said it had any flaws.
    Quite right; it's perfect in every way. I don't know how I didn't see that.

What is this supposed to mean? I am the internets.

So you have a problem? You appear to be quite, how should I put it, smart aliky. I didn't insult you nor Johnny and yet you feel the need to be a smart alik. I was only replying to your comment that made it sound like I stated the game had "necessary flaws" when I didn't mention any in my post, I was responding to that comment. And my question about who you are was curiosity because I hadn't seen you on the boards.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »

How are these bad things? ^_^
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Dan_Flyhight

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »

3) Strumming sucks. How am I supposed to play "All the Small Things" on Hard without giving myself carpal-tunnel syndrome?

I got to play this game about a week before it came out. Managers at gamestop (which I am not, but my manager) got demo copies of Guitar Hero: On Tour to show to customers to enhance reservations and upcoming retail sales of course about a week early. He handed it to me and All The Small Things was the exact song I first picked to play and I immediately went to hard after he said playing it on Easy was boring. I have to say I didn't find strumming all that bad. In fact, I scored hitting 97% of all the notes. What we did compliment about the strumming was that you couldn't strum just anywhere on the touch screen, but it had to be where you would normally strum on a guitar.
    If ever the acid-spitting llamas ever engulf your esophagus out of fear for their own pancreas, you know who to call...

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »

How are these bad things? ^_^

Simple, three of the worst bands in the history of "rock".

Simple, they
    Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
    Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • Score: 20
      • View Profile
      • PixlBit
    « Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
    They aren't my favorite either, but given the crowd they are trying to reach with the title they are pretty excellent choices.
    Check out PixlBit!

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
    Did I miss the boat when everybody started hating Smash Mouth and Maroon 5? They're mediocre bands, but they aren't raping your ears.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 27
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
    Smash Mouth is like Sugar Ray, they both became different bands once radio airplay came their way.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
    Did I miss the boat when everybody started hating Smash Mouth and Maroon 5? They're mediocre bands, but they aren't raping your ears.

Ehh. I've always hated them. But it isn't my genre anyway.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GregLover5000

• View Profile
      • Shatterglass.net
    « Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
    OK, here's what I want with the console version: a 3/4-size guitar controller (an Explorer body would be nice) with the standard fret buttons, but rather than the clicky lightswitch, inset a nice touch screen in the body and let me use a DS-type pick/stylus to strum.

If you build this and it sells, please send bags of money to my profile address.

Funny thing is, controlling your electronics with a guitar goes back to when the Atari 2600 was new, when Roland started building guitar synths. The technology certainly exists to read strums on actual strings (and even string bends); don't know how cheaply it could be done, though.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
    Well I put a couple more hours into it and I'm love it even more. I even enjoy the vast majority of the songs. This is easily becoming one of my favorite DS games.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
    GP, don't be so serious.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
    I hate to nitpick, but do you mean anaemic?