Author Topic: Ubisoft strikes again  (Read 12283 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ubisoft strikes again
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 02:46:10 PM »
I've always seen "geek" as an acceptable term between geeks but a derogatory one when used by people who wouldn't consider themselves one.  It's like a much tamer version of how black rappers use the n-word to describe themselves but are offended when someone else calls them that.  Or just how my friends can call me a "stupid f*ck" and I'll laugh it up but random strangers sure as hell can't call me that.

Nintendo's comment made out that our opinion doens't matter because of what we are.  Change it from "geeks" to something vastly more serious like a race or religion and the same quote would cause a political uproar.  The guy apologized for it so I think he wasn't really thinking about what he was saying but still.

But gets back to crapping on Ubisoft.  They're not only insulting us with their "friends and family" line but with the games themselves.  Is it not an insult to expect the Wii userbase to buy this crap when they sure as hell wouldn't try this on the other consoles? ;)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:31 PM »
No, infamous specifically means famous for being bad.

They are both simply reputation values not linked to any actual deed.  Like Paris Hilton.

I hate to quote dictionaries to prove my point, but here: deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.
And it's only dismissive and derogatory if you link being a geek to being bad in some way.  The paraphrase never laid any value judgment on "geeks" or "otaku," so any bad images of obsessive, pimply-faced, greasy fans came from those very fans.  Imagine if somebody said "Only people who sleep with loose women want that," and the big stink about it reads "So they think we're a bunch of sickos who sleep with our mothers!?"  Such data was added after the fact.

If there's anyone upset at being called a geek, I won't speak for him.  I think the quote is dismissive because it says he doesn't care about our problem because we're geeks.  The disparagement comes from being told we don't matter.

Edit:  Wow.  I agree with Ian.  I guess I can give up on convincing Deg of anything now.  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:53:35 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
The quote wasn't dismissing the problem because were are geeks. The quote is dismissing the problem because we're a SMALL POPULATION.

Which, still, isn't correct. Non-gamers have just as stringent needs as hardcore gamers actually, just different ones, and nothing proves this more than Nintendo putting their internal developers on Brain Training and Wii Fit instead of farming those out.

This is what Ubisoft will need to learn, and is learning, as well: The casual base does not roll over for you. You have to give them good product... on their terms though. The trick is learning about what constitutes this moving target of good. It may not be metacritic scores... but believe it or not there was something that separated Mario Paint from that Sega Genesis Art clone thingie... and there is something that separates Wii Sports from Deca Sports.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »
The guy apologized for it so I think he wasn't really thinking about what he was saying but still.

He's a NOE employee, of course he wasn't thinking.  Anything that comes from a NOE employee shouldn't be taken seriously since they're kept so far in the dark from NCL they don't know what the hell is going on.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:39 PM »
I take offense to being called a "geek" Just because I play video games and I know something about computers doesn't make me a "geek" I always pictured geeks as smart, nerdy guys who where very good at math and such. I mostly use my computer for practical **** and business purposes, not "geek" stuff. But what do I know I'm an outcast amongst "geeks" anyways so yeah. On the other hand I don't care what Nintendo says anyways weather it be NCL, NOA or NOE, they never say anything that makes sense or isn't derogatory.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 08:47:28 PM »
I will bite the head off a chicken to stop Ubisoft.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
I saw we not only start an official boycott of all things Ubisoft, but we should take it a step further and ask NWR to also boycott reporting on Ubisoft as well. They don't deserve the free publicity good or bad.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 01:06:03 AM »
I've always seen "geek" as an acceptable term between geeks but a derogatory one when used by people who wouldn't consider themselves one.  It's like a much tamer version of how black rappers use the n-word to describe themselves but are offended when someone else calls them that.  Or just how my friends can call me a "stupid f*ck" and I'll laugh it up but random strangers sure as hell can't call me that.

The "n-word"? Well, I guess now we all know who isn't a black rapper. Too meek to even utter the word, even. Cracker.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 01:33:06 AM »
I have a feeling it would bring negative repercussions from the higher-ups.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 02:48:44 AM »
I saw we not only start an official boycott of all things Ubisoft, but we should take it a step further and ask NWR to also boycott reporting on Ubisoft as well. They don't deserve the free publicity good or bad.
Sounds stupid IMO. Aren't review sites supposed to be neutral instead of bearing grudges and letting those affect their reporting?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 04:52:20 AM »
It's only a claim.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 06:15:16 AM »
So lets spin this around. What if he said ubisoft dont hve to put their top AAA teams and put years(and by extension, effort) into a title that they know will sell slowly,but over time great, because "differentiated gamers" dont have such demands like we do?

Would anyone have cared?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »
Well, people would probably have called him wrong but that way at least it wouldn't imply that those games are all there is to the Wii.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
No, their job is to inform the readers what the game makers are doing and saying. True it is our job to take what info the review brings us and do what we will with it/ Nintendo World Report is biased though, they are a Nintendo site, so it makes sense that they cover all things Nintendo but they have the right to inform the readers what is going on. In this case it might be ok to just blacklist the publisher in question because they seam to constantly take jabs at the fanbase and really piss more of us off than anything.

This recent garbage isn't the only thing they have done or said recently that deserves our scrutiny.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
No, their job is to inform the readers what the game makers are doing and saying. True it is our job to take what info the review brings us and do what we will with it/ Nintendo World Report is biased though, they are a Nintendo site, so it makes sense that they cover all things Nintendo but they have the right to inform the readers what is going on. In this case it might be ok to just blacklist the publisher in question because they seam to constantly take jabs at the fanbase and really piss more of us off than anything.

This recent garbage isn't the only thing they have done or said recently that deserves our scrutiny.

How is this site biased even though they are reporting Nintendo news because they CHOSE to but the majority of staffers and community members are platform agnostic.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
Stop turning my words around ass holes! they are a NINTENDO SITE, they are BIASED to wards NINTENDO DUH! I was not making any claims about the staff.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »
Well, what should I think of a website that allows personal grudges to affect their reporting? Why should I not assume that the opposite also happens, i.e. that they favour companies for being "nice" and might rate their games higher out of solidarity?

Also they aren't BIASED towards Nintendo, they just report the part of the news that has to do with Nintendo.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »
that is what I said asshole god, I didn't mean personal BIAS, ****!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
Then why do you use that word? Why do you use it as an argument to not report on Ubisoft stuff?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 01:55:59 PM »
Stop turning my words around ass holes! they are a NINTENDO SITE, they are BIASED to wards NINTENDO DUH! I was not making any claims about the staff.

How am I turning your words around? You are just being your delusional uber defensive self.

Also.....

bias |ˈbīəs|
noun
1 prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:57:50 PM by Flames_of_chaos »

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
because that wasn't how I meant it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »
Hey hey guys, the internet is mad at Ubisoft, I get it.

I can never stay mad at them though. FarCry: Vengeance <3
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »
FarCry: Vengeance <3

You do realise that if you continue to espouse that position I will humbly request that Lindy not let you do reviews anymore, right?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 08:13:29 PM »
FarCry: Vengeance <3

You do realise that if you continue to espouse that position I will humbly request that Lindy not let you do reviews anymore, right?

I say that Kairon should be punished by regulating him to review games published by conspiracy, DSI, destineer and Bold.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »