Author Topic: Why are people still whining that there aren't enough games?  (Read 64840 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Why are people still whining that there aren't enough games?
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
A year it made some sense to complain that the Wii didn't have a lot of games, but I still hear people bitching about the lack of games even now. While it is true that there could be more hardcore games made by 3rd parties, I don't think there is a serious shortage, and this is improving all the time. But yet, still there are people who are complaining and I keep hearing comments like "I have nothing to play until Mario Kart comes out", or "I don't want to beat this game too fast because then I'll have nothing to play until June". Why are people making these comments? There definitely could be more games than there are, but there is definitely enough out now that it's hard to imagine someone having beaten all of them..

So unless people are zipping through games at insanely fast speeds, or get sick of them and don't finish them, then I don't see how anyone could be lacking Wii games right now... We just had Smash Bros., Okami, and a bunch of other stuff coming out recently, and Mario Kart isn't far behind, so this had better be the end of these comments about not enough games for the Wii.  >:( If people are still desperate, they need to look at WiiWare or the VC to help them pass the time.
is your sanity...

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: Why are people still whining that there aren't enough games?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
I don't really understand it either. Currently I have about 21 Wii games and a nice list of others that are about to come out or are already out. There is plenty to play, people just like to complain. I don't have many 360 games, but you don't hear me complaining that there isn't enough out there. There is plenty out there, just not much of what I really like to play. So if the Wii is your "main" system, there is plenty out there, otherwise, sure there isn't much because you are probably just waiting for the next major Nintendo release.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:10:59 PM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
I have to agree, I have a ton of Wii games with many I haven't even really had time to play. With Okami out now, you have no excuse to whine unless you have played the PS2 version heavily because that game will keep you busy for 10s of hours.The Wii has a good, solid library so far. Could it be better? Of course, but then again the library runs circles around the PS3 library in quality.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »
People love whining

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Not enough generic shooters with bald space marines that wear the occasional paint ball suit (example generic Halo clone) and not enough brown.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »
Not enough generic shooters with bald space marines that wear the occasional paint ball suit (example generic Halo clone) and not enough brown.

Bloom get.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
I have, for my Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Excite Truck, Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, and Zack and Wiki. I am interested in Okami.

Aside from those, nothing is worth owning.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
That's an opinion that I think is stupid.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »
I have, for my Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Excite Truck, Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, and Zack and Wiki. I am interested in Okami.

Forgot SSBB on that list. According to a certain HULA HOOPS LIST you own that one too...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
That's an opinion that I think is stupid.

Let's not let this get out of hand.

But yeah. Ghost Squad am cry.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
u suk at opinion karen
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »

Forgot SSBB on that list. According to a certain HULA HOOPS LIST you own that one too...

There's also photographic evidence...

As for the thread, I have to agree 100% with the sentiment. Its true that the Wii's library of games isn't perfect (but come on, its only a year old), it has many rock solid, fun and just plain great titles, which is more than the GC did in its first year.

I always tell people that if you can't buy, RENT. Seriously, nearly all video stores carry Wii games. Then there's services like Gamefly which are convenient, easy to use and let you keep the game till you are tired of it.

You won't believe the many arguments I have gotten into with people regarding Wii games. When they ask for suggestions and recommendations I always make an overwhelming list of games (especially for a system that is only a year old), yet they either say that they don't have the money to buy all that "crap", or say stuff like "This game is too short, not my type of game" or "The only ones worth owning are Mario galaxy and Brawl".

Its one thing playing everything the Wii has to offer and being disappointed, the other is being disappointed with the Wii while avoiding most of its game titles with excuses that really don't make sense or are hypocritical.

Sorry I started rambling, but I've had this argument before and its very annoying. In fact its so aggravating that if the consoles in question were the 360 and PS3 I too would be mad as the sentiment of avoiding titles, then complaining about them is stupid and retarded.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
I'm going to whine because NOE is useless. Is that acceptable?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »

It's always acceptable to whine about a company in the market.  Thats the point.  Don't let those who whine about the whiners get your goat.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »

There's also photographic evidence...

As for the thread, I have to agree 100% with the sentiment. Its true that the Wii's library of games isn't perfect (but come on, its only a year old), it has many rock solid, fun and just plain great titles, which is more than the GC did in its first year.

I always tell people that if you can't buy, RENT. Seriously, nearly all video stores carry Wii games. Then there's services like Gamefly which are convenient, easy to use and let you keep the game till you are tired of it.

You won't believe the many arguments I have gotten into with people regarding Wii games. When they ask for suggestions and recommendations I always make an overwhelming list of games (especially for a system that is only a year old), yet they either say that they don't have the money to buy all that "crap", or say stuff like "This game is too short, not my type of game" or "The only ones worth owning are Mario galaxy and Brawl".

Its one thing playing everything the Wii has to offer and being disappointed, the other is being disappointed with the Wii while avoiding most of its game titles with excuses that really don't make sense or are hypocritical.

Sorry I started rambling, but I've had this argument before and its very annoying. In fact its so aggravating that if the consoles in question were the 360 and PS3 I too would be mad as the sentiment of avoiding titles, then complaining about them is stupid and retarded.

I agree with you completely. It's worth pointing out too that it nullifies the argument of narghnarghbaldspacemarinenargnargnarg.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »

It's always acceptable to whine about a company in the market.  Thats the point.  Don't let those who whine about the whiners get your goat.

Yeah, but is the title of the thread "Nintendo of Europe sucks" or "Nintendo's online strategy needs to change"?

I thought so.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:31:13 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »

Yeah, but is the title of the thread "Nintendo of Europe sucks" or "Nintendo's online strategy needs to change"?

I thought so.

Hey don't try to own me, I didn't say ****.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
Actually my brother in law had that same sentiment until I took him to Best Buy and SHOWED him all there was on Wii, now he is frantically stalking UPS trucks weekly in his never ending quest to snatch a Wii.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
My issues with the Gamecube lineup were:

1. The third party support sucked.  Seemingly every game would be annouced for every console BUT the Gamecube.
2. Nintendo was way too sequel crazy and a lot of the franchise formulas are running out of steam.  This is partially a problem with following up the N64.  Although many first party N64 titles were sequels they were remarkably fresh and innovative.  Many of Nintendo's franchised peaked and have had nowhere to go but down since.
3. Little variety.  Many genres had one good game to represent them if they had any at all.

The Wii has pretty much the exact same problems.  If a major third party game is annouced it can be assumed to be for every console BUT the Wii.  I find Nintendo's non-games very low on depth but their big "traditional" games are all sequels.  Yeah I love SSBB but this is probably the last SSB game I'll get.  Mario Kart is due to come out but I don't really care because to me Mario Kart is PLAYED.  Nintendo is putting most of their creativity into titles like Wii Fit.  Where is the Wii's Pikmin?  Where is that major original game for the Wii that isn't aimed at non-gamers?  I honestly am not that interested in the old franchises anymore but those are always the big titles.  It's like non-games or sequels.  Why are the options so black & white?

It's never about listing 20 games that you think are good and saying "see there are enough games".  The Atari, NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2 all had one thing in common: you want it you got it.  Any type of game and any genre was represented with many different options.  If the game you wanted wasn't on that console odds are SOMETHING similar was at least there as an alternative.  There was something for everybody.  "Not enough bald space marines. LOL!"  Why not?  Who are you to tell us what we want or don't?  Since the N64, Nintendo has told people what they want and the best consoles didn't do that.  They gave you almost everything.  The Wii SHOULD have generic shooters along with non-games and platformers and RPGs and fighters, etc.

To really be satisfied with the Gamecube you had to have very specific tastes.  The Wii is very much the same way and that is why people are still "whining".

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 05:17:08 PM »
Where are the games?  3rd parties are too afraid to make them.  They are confused.  They're not adjusting.  Things have gone... sideways.

Wii is the market leader.  An unexpected market leader, so surprising that 3rd parties did not have "big" titles planned for its first year in the market.  But in the process of planning new catch-up titles, they're afraid they can't compete with Nintendo's execution and vision in producing titles that embrace the new functions, afraid their old-world core games won't be embraced by Wii's non-known, non-understood non-market.  They are afraid to commit to the new "risk".

Sony used to have a market leader.  3rd parties were surprised PS3 is not the champion system that the market would parade and maintain the core gamer audience.  3rd parties did have games planned, some cancelled, many "delayed" in hopes of entering a ripened PS3 installed base.  But nearly 1.5 years later, the grass is not greener.  The installed base has not caught-up with their "projections".  They are afraid to commit their sure-fire "big" projects to the champ of the "old ways".  Committing to the fallen king is also a risk.

So now, there'll be even less games than before, leaving 3rd parties "stuck."

But that's all right.  The forest fires of the real movers (the market) will burn down the old trees and let the low-laying sproutlings flourish.  And it will be obvious which platform the new risk-taking game makers will choose.

The climate is still in transition, so while the old champs, the GTAs/MGS/bangbanggungun, have come out, what's in the line-up afterward?  Will there be another 3-4 year wait for the other "real" games?  Maybe the market changes have gone deep enough that there aren't any "real" games planned afterward, just "risky" games with an all-new commitment behind them.

Don't worry about the ones who are whining, cuz they'll be washed away and become the new lapsed gamers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:18:41 PM by NinGurl 69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »
Don't worry about the ones who are whining, cuz they'll be washed away and become the new lapsed gamers.

Kind of a formal way to say "love it or leave it".  Sadly you're probably right.  Hell it already happend to me with wrestling.  What I want out of wrestling and what the WWE provides have become so different that I can't imagine them ever having me as a fan again.  It's an interest that no longer is available to me, with the exception of old stuff I missed the first time around.  I see a lot of eerie parallels here.  The change of focus to non-gamers is such that my interest has really dropped.  I probably will become "lapsed" at some point.  I seems like Nintendo has virtually no interest in catering to my tastes.  They're assuming I'll stick around no matter what and the WWE did the same thing.  And they probably won't miss me when I'm gone either, like the WWE.

Though I think "the company I've supported for over ten years though dark times is rewarding my loyalty with neglect" is a valid complaint and not whining.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »
Where are the games?  3rd parties are too afraid to make them.  They are confused.  They're not adjusting.  Things have gone... sideways.

Wii is the market leader.  An unexpected market leader, so surprising that 3rd parties did not have "big" titles planned for its first year in the market.  But in the process of planning new catch-up titles, they're afraid they can't compete with Nintendo's execution and vision in producing titles that embrace the new functions, afraid their old-world core games won't be embraced by Wii's non-known, non-understood non-market.  They are afraid to commit to the new "risk".

Sony used to have a market leader.  3rd parties were surprised PS3 is not the champion system that the market would parade and maintain the core gamer audience.  3rd parties did have games planned, some cancelled, many "delayed" in hopes of entering a ripened PS3 installed base.  But nearly 1.5 years later, the grass is not greener.  The installed base has not caught-up with their "projections".  They are afraid to commit their sure-fire "big" projects to the champ of the "old ways".  Committing to the fallen king is also a risk.

So now, there'll be even less games than before, leaving 3rd parties "stuck."

But that's all right.  The forest fires of the real movers (the market) will burn down the old trees and let the low-laying sproutlings flourish.  And it will be obvious which platform the new risk-taking game makers will choose.

The climate is still in transition, so while the old champs, the GTAs/MGS/bangbanggungun, have come out, what's in the line-up afterward?  Will there be another 3-4 year wait for the other "real" games?  Maybe the market changes have gone deep enough that there aren't any "real" games planned afterward, just "risky" games with an all-new commitment behind them.

That whole post made me think of LoZ: Wind Waker/the flooding of Hyrule/the Koroks

POTY
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
"Hell it already happend to me with wrestling"

I stopped watching after Stone Cold's rise to stardom, and the new "edge" the org embraced.  Monday Night RAW lost its class.  Monday Night was not fun anymore.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
Or maybe your getting old and your tastes have changed. I keep thinking that way my self.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »
It's the other way around.

Personal tastes are deeply rooted and are difficult to change, while the world, the market, travels whatever path that doesn't keep it from moving.