Author Topic: Gears of War Video  (Read 28628 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Gears of War Video
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2006, 04:36:56 AM »
On Viva Pinata the show:
I don't see what's so bad about it.  It's no Spongebob Squarepants but kids aren't able to make that distinction anyway.  When I was a kid I watched Transformers, Care Bears and the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show - I enjoyed all of them - but in hindsight only one of them was any good.  (Hint: It wasn't Transformers.)   I will say that I wish they'd aim higher - it's not right to conclude "kids can't tell the difference anyway", but I have to admit, I sure couldn't when I was a kid.  See: Super Mario Bros. Super Show.

On Viva Pinata the game:
Who knows?  Rare has screwed up quite a few home console games lately but this is the first really unique idea it has pulled out of the bag since leaving Nintendo, and those are usually my favourites.  I'm not holding my breath or anything.  It also looks nothing like the show.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Gears of War Video
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2006, 06:48:15 AM »
I just watched this trailer and...ouch. What on earth were they thinking with that music? Horrible.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2006, 09:45:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
I think you make a good point smash. I hope Microsoft realizes Rare isn't producing and they let them out into the wild again. Perhaps if they are cut loose they will develop for whatever system they want without being a second party and maybe attract some new talent that can bring back life to their characters.

Rare is too much of a leech, though.

They need a large host to cling to and suck money out of because their games suffer from bloated development budgets and many, many delays. Rare, on its own, likely would not be able to survive. Would they have lived on the profits from PD0? Kameo? Grabbed by the Ghoulies?

Considering that these games consume an immense amount of money before they make it to market, I don't think Rare could survive off of them, especially considering that most if not all of the talent who made Rare great initially has left.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
 If kids had high standards we wouldn't have The Superfriends.

Also, I redid the Gears of War trailer with more appropriate music and posted it on YouTube.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2006, 10:23:18 AM »
Ha ha ha.  The funny thing is, as inappropriate as the combination is, it actually fits just as well or better than "Mad World".

I remember Beck saying that he prefers his videos to have nothing to do with the song.  In your Gears of War Trailer, the song is totally inapproriate, yet it matches up pretty nicely with the action (gets to the chorus just as he smashes through the wall).   I kind of liked it!  For Mad World, it seemed too much like they actually expected me to take the lyrics as a serious complement to the unfolding action.

Blah blah blah, just call me Professor Stupid.  Good parody.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2006, 10:26:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Pryopizm
Also, I redid the Gears of War trailer with more appropriate music and posted it on YouTube.

Genius!
GOREGASM!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:25 AM »
That would have almost fit dead on if it was raining.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:33 AM »
I'm really out of the musical world it seems. First, I have not seen Donnie Darko. Second, I have limited access to alternative radio. I have not heard this song before this trailer. I think its a haunting song. So I was amazed to learn that it originally was performed by Tears For Fears. I've been contemplating picking up 'The Hurting' for the song 'Pale Shelter', and this song just adds to it.

It may go against the grain but I kinda prefer the original, too. This accoustic version has its own vibe, but so does the original and I guess I'm more in tune with that one.

Either way, neither version really goes with the events on the screen. I hope Roland and everyone else involved got a big fat check from M $.

And on the tiny offshoot going on about cartoons, anyone remember 'Gilligan's Planet'? Or the Duke's of Hazard 'toon? I'm lucky enough to have 'Mighty Orbots' taped. Its a trip to see all those old commercials. I'd love for Boomerang to do an 80's day or something and bring back all those wasted hours just to waste more hours.  

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2006, 11:21:03 AM »
Pryo, for some reason that song works will with the Office.

It's prolly 'cuz the show can carry a pretty big emotional hit when it wants.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »
wait is it the garry juiles version of mad world or the Tears for fears version?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2006, 01:46:06 PM »
jules
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2006, 03:05:41 PM »
I sort of wish on the on both the "original" ones that they would have put some sound effects in.  Not all of them but the glass breaking... The water sloshing..
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »
I just got done watching 1ups inpressions and it sounds like the repetition is not going to be bad (seems I was not the only one who thought it looked repetitive) and will have variety. So I guess I'm leaning more to getting it now, but I'll still see what IGN has to say about it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2006, 09:43:08 PM »
Oh, i forgot all about active reload. In Gears of War, reloading is like a tiny minigame. There's an ideal timing to reloading and a second button press that has to be "clicked" at the right time after, a sort of visceral way to introduce a beat to the gameplay. When done right, you seem to be able to shoot sooner or faster or stronger or something.

*ahem*

Innovative feature.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Oh, i forgot all about active reload. In Gears of War, reloading is like a tiny minigame. There's an ideal timing to reloading and a second button press that has to be "clicked" at the right time after, a sort of visceral way to introduce a beat to the gameplay. When done right, you seem to be able to shoot sooner or faster or stronger or something.

*ahem*

Innovative feature.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Ok I'll give you that one. ;-)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2006, 10:25:37 PM »
That's an interesting idea.  Make something other than just aiming require some thought and skill.
GOREGASM!

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2006, 02:19:18 AM »
Every time I see a screenshot of Gears of War I think it's more and more a ripoff of Warhammer 40k. The armor of the human soldiers looks just like Kasrkins. And that sweet chainsaw bayonet? 40k's had chainswords since it began. And that nifty skull-in-a-gear symbol? It's the symbol for the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Don't get me started on the Locusts. They're blatant copies of Orks.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2006, 06:52:08 AM »
Just as long as this doesn't steal GOTY from Zelda, I'm fine with it. Though if it gets praised for its art direction I'll scream.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2006, 10:58:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
Just as long as this doesn't steal GOTY from Zelda, I'm fine with it. Though if it gets praised for its art direction I'll scream.

I really doubt that, from that 1up Show they pretty much said it was very good, but not necessarily great (especially the single player mode).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2006, 05:14:58 PM »
It was kind of funny last night while watching TV I saw an ad that I could have swore was for Gears of War (It used actors in the beginning) in both atmosphere, enemies and even the look of the character. Turned out it was actually Kill Zone (heck even when they showed the gameplay it took me a couple seconds to register that it was not Gears of War!).

That trailer is here (I did not see the PSP at the beginning).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2006, 08:55:07 PM »
Heh, I saw that commercial and thought the exact same thing, Gears of War ad. I tell ya, there are waaaaaaay too many "space marine" shooter games.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2006, 10:26:51 PM »
Well I was reading on the gamefaq's message board that gamespot said Gears of War was  "game of the year" material in a video review with no score, so if that is the case I'll definately be getting it (If that applies to the single player).

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2006, 05:54:06 AM »
The Gears of War commercial features the Gary Jules cover of "Mad World." It's, umm... a surprising combination.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2006, 07:22:45 AM »
Early reviews are VERY positive! Gamerankings has a 94.5% right now. That'll likely level out to closer to the 93ish range (it just has 9 reviews right now, and it's a long road to the eventual 70 or so), but that is still encouraging news for anyone who wanted this. No guarantee for Game of the Year, but it should end up just ahead of Final Fantasy XII. It'll certainly win for graphics...

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
Gamespot certainly has nice things to say about it. Though it does seem to suffer from similar issues that other games in the genre have.

While there is an abundance of similar games across various systems, this really fills a need on the 360 that Quake 4 was unable to fill. I'm looking forward to it. I wish I had the time to participate in the online matches this weekend.