Author Topic: Elebits  (Read 37413 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Elebits
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
Well, Gamerankings has put the game at a respectable 77.7%, with only 1/4 reviews scoring it below 80, so I guess the naysayers (me included) can stick that in our pipes and smoke it!

I'm still waiting until after Christmas to buy this one, I can't remember if I put it on any lists and I'm nowhere near finished Zelda anyway.  But I'm really glad to hear this one turned out well, I was interested in it in the beginning.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
acctually this is the only title i'm intrested in after i finish Zelda. And i'm not sure how its going to turn out (77% isn't to great) but then again i don't give a damn what site/mag reviewers say anyway. They are way too picky, for example: (warning rant ahead)

oh its not orcestrated and midi sound is so awful my ears bleed..... and god the graphics are so last gen, but wait doesn't dead rising look the same as a last gen game on a normal tv? (i've seen the game on standard def and its damn true) Bah who has standard definition we all have humongous entertainment centers with 57 foot plasma direct mind feed tv's and ornage ray players and speakers the size of godzilla positioned right next to our faces so we can feel the vibrations. And the blood in gears is so awesome....

yeah sorry for the rant. Anyway, i rather hear the average gamer's voice to get an opinion on the game. I have a huge back log of games to play catch up on, and i think its a good thing the wii doesn't have much selection right now (for me its just zelda) but this game has caught my attention, and if its good by word of mouth i'll pick it up when it gets a price drop.

Offline aquaticmerman

• View Profile
RE: Elebits
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2006, 01:46:38 AM »
THis game looks like it could be a lot of fun! I am interested to see how it really plays. SUre it might not have the best graphics, but neither did Katamari and that was a blast! The review on IGN sounds promising. I will have to check this title out soon.

Rustin Allison

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2006, 02:28:48 AM »
I think 77% is actually just fine for a game you're already insterested in.  People seem to only want to play games that are 85+, but I would have missed out on a lot of great games if I thought that way.  I wouldn't play a 77% game that I'm not interested in - say a WWII based FPS - but if I'm already interested in a game, any score over 70 is usually a good sign.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »
Apparently it got a 7/4.5/4.0 in the new EGM (not up on gamerankings yet - got the info from the game-specific board on gamefaqs.com).  Which would worry me, but I've mostly disagreed with EGM for years now.  I take gameinformer's lower score much more seriously.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
It's in my car right now, when I go home from work, I will have impressions.

As for the reviews, I think these Wii concept games will be love/hate with most reviewers but I'll more than likely enjoy them.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2006, 08:15:20 AM »
Okay. Okay. I give up. I'll buy it. I'm sold.

This Elebits Doubter is defeated.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2006, 08:21:19 AM »
How is a 77.7% score low?  That's just over 3/4, it's nearly a 4/5.  I fail to see how that's a low score.  It's a rental, at least.

(btw, EGM is the scum of the gaming journalism world. . . and that's saying something)
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
77% is low for industry scores. Usually when reviews review something it gets a 9 if its hyped and an 8 if its good and 7's are reserved for so-so games.

Now to be honest, i have a huge selection of games that i have yet to play (well not so huge but its alot for me) and i'm intrested in this game, but i'll generally wait for reader impressions. However, i do have alot of games to play, and anything in the 7 range isn't going to grab my attention when i already have a bunch of 8's and 9's and 10's based on my own personaly opinion and indusrty ranks to play.

you may seem to see 3/4 or 4/5 as a high score, but for reviewers that hand out 9.9's to GTA and something dumb like Jade Empire, a 77 might as well be an F. Once again, I'd like to point out i don't rely on these reviews, however, you mentioned that its a good score so i'd point out that its really not.  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2006, 10:31:44 AM »
Alright, I have officially spent some time with Elebits and I am here to say it is awesome. Definitely a one of a kind game. I like the exploration and the madness of the clutter from moving things around. The controls work flawlessly and are a welcome break from the much pickier Red Steel controls.

The mutliplayer didn't strike me as all that great. At least in the two rounds we played, I controlled the camera/motion in one round, and she did in another. The controller was always the winner because the other person usually isn't on top of the ball until it is too late already. There is some strategy by using items to block the capture of Elebits, but it is still really crazy and the controller is the only one who seems to really know where they are going, and can lock in on Elebits easier. It is possible that there is a camera control where the screen is split and each person has the ability to have full control, but I didn't delve deep enough to see if that is true or not.

There seems to be alot of replayability because you can always repeat a chapter and get a better score, plus there were various extra modes which seem to extend the life of the product. Haven't looked at the map maker yet, but I am greatly anticipating a trial of it. In general I think the game is quirky but fun and definitely a pleasure to control. As you get deeper into a session, the room becomes cluttered and chasing Elebits that are running through the mess is a blast. I recommend everyone to at least check this game out, and if you are looking for another enjoyable Wii game(for purchase), picking this one up.

If anyone has any other questions I'll do my best to answer them. Or you could wait for other users and Evan's review.

UPDATE: Edit mode is a ton of fun, not sure exactly what the formula is yet to make the perfect Edit Mode map, but I have thoroughly enjoyed creating the maps and all of the settings accompanied which make playing the map a true pleasure. The biggest black mark on the game happened just now, which is the inability to transfer the save file to an SD card. This one hurts because you won't be able to back up maps you make on your hdd which would be desirable.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2006, 10:42:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
It's in my car right now, when I go home from work, I will have impressions.

As for the reviews, I think these Wii concept games will be love/hate with most reviewers but I'll more than likely enjoy them.

Weren't you doubtful of the game at one point, though? I think you were turned off by it when someone said that it resembled Katamary Damacy.

Am I right or wrong?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2006, 11:19:21 AM »
I think this weekend with school finally over will be a big time rent fest for me.

I want to rent:

Elebits
Dragon Ball Z
and
Excite Truck

We shall see what the weekend brings for impressions.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2006, 11:58:53 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64 Weren't you doubtful of the game at one point, though? I think you were turned off by it when someone said that it resembled Katamary Damacy.

It's hard to say for certain, but the game is pretty fun so far. They actually put a meter in to keep you from breaking too many things, though, which absolutely sucks since grabbing breakables and flinging them against the wall is one of the best parts of the game.

The game basically gives you full motion control of the physics of all the objects in the game and that can be rather interesting. It can be quite satisfying to simply tear apart a room looking for Elebits.

I hope they don't reward you on cleanliness later on...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2006, 06:47:15 AM »
Ok, so 24 hours later, here's how I feel about the game:

It's fun, but I'm still not sure HOW fun to call it. Right now, I want to go home and play it some more.

My only objection so far is that the main game has a time limit on each level and if it runs out, you fail. I would have preferred the timer to count UP instead of down so you can rush through the level for a good rating if you want but if you don't want to, you can screw around with everything at your own leisurely pace.

This is probably the most entertaining "f*ck with stuff" game I've ever seen. Not only is it immensely satisfying to hurl breakable objects against walls, but the ability to manipulate everything in the game is REALLY entertaining. It becomes immersive in the sense that everything in the game can be toyed with, even things like pizza boxes which can be opened and DVD players and toasters which need objects fed into them.

I've yet to try multiplayer, but I have one friend who has played the game so I'll probably get a shot at it tonight.

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2006, 08:25:51 AM »
hey look! its spak-spanG! hes the only pgc member i have on my wii! i still love your heroin!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »

Ok, so 24 hours later, here's how I feel about the game:

It's fun, but I'm still not sure HOW fun to call it. Right now, I want to go home and play it some more.

My only objection so far is that the main game has a time limit on each level and if it runs out, you fail. I would have preferred the timer to count UP instead of down so you can rush through the level for a good rating if you want but if you don't want to, you can screw around with everything at your own leisurely pace.

This is probably the most entertaining "f*ck with stuff" game I've ever seen. Not only is it immensely satisfying to hurl breakable objects against walls, but the ability to manipulate everything in the game is REALLY entertaining. It becomes immersive in the sense that everything in the game can be toyed with, even things like pizza boxes which can be opened and DVD players and toasters which need objects fed into them.

I've yet to try multiplayer, but I have one friend who has played the game so I'll probably get a shot at it tonight.

Maybe the game will have a "Free for all" option in which you get to do whatever you want with no time restrictions. I know Katamary had a "Roll forever" option in which you could roll around forever, without worry of time or meeting certain goals.

I think the question you should be asking is how long the fun lasts. Elebits looks like the sort of game that is fun for a while, then grows old right away (unless it offers new gameplay modes and challenges).

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »
I dunno, some people at school were playing multiplayer today in the lounge.  I watched people who never played Wii before having a blast with the game and everyone kept saying how it reminded them of Katamari. . . . . There was like 30 people around them screaming "throw the chair at the window!  KNOCK THAT DOWN, NO MOVE IT OVER THERE, I SEE ONE ZAP THEM"  The crowd was really getting into the game and everyone thought it was pretty fun . . .

I think thats pretty good if a room of college students are cheering on a video game, you never see that at their DOA tourneys or Halo matches. . .

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2006, 01:06:41 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Maybe the game will have a "Free for all" option in which you get to do whatever you want with no time restrictions. I know Katamary had a "Roll forever" option in which you could roll around forever, without worry of time or meeting certain goals.

I think the question you should be asking is how long the fun lasts. Elebits looks like the sort of game that is fun for a while, then grows old right away (unless it offers new gameplay modes and challenges).

There are a set of 3 pink elebits in each level, if you capture all three you unlock "Eternal Mode" (also called this in Katamari).

As far as how far the fun lasts, I think that depends on the person. There is the whole map editor thing, which is pretty fun, but of course the levels are nowhere near the quality of the pre-fab ones for the main game. All in all though there seems to be more replayability than KD, and the game is mission based which allows for many replays to accomplish the best possible grade.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »
There you go, SB, a level where you can do whatever the hell you want!

And I know what you mean, Jack. I personally loved the eternal mode in Katamary, since I could take my time rolling crap up, but SB couldn't stand 10 minutes of it, hence why I ask if Elebits suffers from the same thing.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »
There's a certain raw satisfaction you get from being able to hurl objects violently around the screen, something KD didn't provide for me.

Rob and I tried multiplayer and it was pretty crazy. I can only imagine that 4 player will be absolutely INSANE...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »

There's a certain raw satisfaction you get from being able to hurl objects violently around the screen, something KD didn't provide for me.

Rob and I tried multiplayer and it was pretty crazy. I can only imagine that 4 player will be absolutely INSANE...

You could say that both Elebits and KD offer a similar sense of satisfaction while being completely different games. Elebits offers you the opportunity to affect the gravity in the stage and destroy things in search of Elebits, while KD offers you the opportunity of rolling a ball so big you can pluck continents, clouds and even gods as if they were lego pieces. Both games simply deliver an experience that simply can't be emulated in real life, thus you get great satisfaction when you do it.

From what I heard, Elebits does more than KD did.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

You'll see, you'll ALL see.

They see.

This game is great.  I am only a little bit into it but it is loads of fun to tear through the rooms searching for elebits.  Picking up any object and being able to freely manipulate it can't be beat.  I can also already tell the replay value is going to be huge.  There are three extra modes to unlock by finding the 3 hidden pink elebits in each level.  There are also unlockable rare items and upgrades that you recieve by beating certain amounts of levels and modes.  Buy it now.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2006, 06:50:45 PM »
Hmm.. I wonder where VGRevolution disappeared to.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2006, 10:27:46 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Hmm.. I wonder where VGRevolution disappeared to.

I'm pretty sure she is out of town for the rest of this week.

Originally posted by: pap64
You could say that both Elebits and KD offer a similar sense of satisfaction while being completely different games. Elebits offers you the opportunity to affect the gravity in the stage and destroy things in search of Elebits, while KD offers you the opportunity of rolling a ball so big you can pluck continents, clouds and even gods as if they were lego pieces. Both games simply deliver an experience that simply can't be emulated in real life, thus you get great satisfaction when you do it.

The thing I find intriguing about Elebits vs. Katamari Damacy is that they are actually opposites of one another, and both feel immensely satisfying to play. In Katamari Damacy it is your job to roll things up (essentially you are playing clean up with a big rolling sticky ball), while in Elebits your job is to tear everything apart in search of elebits. Both use a system of small pre-fabricated items resembling real world objects (KD's objects are significantly more Japanese in nature though). Both games appeal to basic instincts in human behavior. Naturally, humans favor some sort of organization and a feeling of control, thus the appeal of KD, and humans conversely favor disaster, destruction and power, hence the appeal of Elebits. Interesting to say the least at least to me...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2006, 07:51:19 AM »
Has anyone traded levels online yet? how does that work.