Author Topic: Elebits  (Read 37420 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Elebits
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2006, 02:32:31 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel Guess what?  No one wants you to take back what you said.  I explicity said it was alright to not like the game, yet you are acting like there is some crusade to make you like it.  You don't like a game where the object is to catch small critters by exploring the environment.  Good, but realize that other people can like a game.  When you don't like something it doesn't make it bargain bin trash that is considered no support.  Your opinion is not the end all be all.  You made comments about your time playing the game and I made comments about how I hadn't experienced these problems (such as having to replay levels.)  I'm done arguing now and I'm only going to talk about the game from now on in this thread.

I was replying to VG, not you.

But what can I say? I'm pissed that I spent $50 on an item which probably cost Konami squat to develop and attempts to make a game out of what is an applaudable object movement engine but still feels better suited as a subset of a bigger game which involves moving objects (I'm tellin' ya: Phoenix Wright Wii = WIN).

Yesterday, I FORCED another friend to sit down and play a multiplayer round with me. His reaction was the same as mine: cute game, but he thought the novelty would wear off pretty rapidly (I went easy on him, what with it being his first time playing and all, and he won).

I WANT to like this game: everything about it screams innovation and pushes gaming in new directions, but the novelty of moving objects around wore off after the second or third level for me and rapidly diminishes every time I try to pick it up again.

Know what? I think I'm going to buckle down and just plow through this game as fast as I can. Maybe it's one of those titles which doesn't REALLY show its appeal until 5+ hours into it (like Red Steel). Maybe I'll grow to like it, or maybe I'll be bitter and resentful toward Konami to the nth power.

We'll see...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Elebits
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2006, 04:58:07 AM »
Anyone that liked the game still do? Rayman lost its charm for me after clearning the story mode (the multiplayer in it is pretty lame)...thinking ill try to beat elebits ( i think im getting it for xmas) and sell it...i think ima sell rayman as well... anyone find a fun multiplayer aspect of rayman?  

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »
well, my two bits... i got to level 7 and its getting hard... i dont know how many levels there are, but basically you just tear up a house like  a narc agent, some levels you cant make noize...im 50 50 on it so far...think id rather have excite truck then elebits.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2006, 07:28:17 PM »
It gets a BIT better as you go in, the low grav levels are cute, as are the giant yellow elebits, but I'm just charging through the game now.

It's a neat idea, but still feels more like a concept game than a full game.

While playing Farcry today, I had to stop myself from trying to pick up some boxes and move them around like in Elebits, though...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2006, 10:26:51 PM »
Smash, I sent you a (lame) screenshot in Elebits. THIS IS A HEADS UP.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2006, 05:23:10 AM »
Yep, I got it.

I couldn't figure out if you were spelling something or not...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »
Can you post the pic here, Evan?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2006, 05:30:05 AM »
I don't think he can, as it remains in the Elebits memory file.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2006, 05:33:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I don't think he can, as it remains in the Elebits memory file.

I mean he taking a picture off of a TV screen or something.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2006, 07:29:20 AM »
That's a big hoop to leap through.

It was a picture of some of the furniture scattered and tilted sideways.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2006, 09:35:15 AM »
It wasn't interesting, it was just a test. Also a shout out to anyone who wants to send screenshots (or maps) my way - it's WiiConnect 24, people, LET'S USE IT.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »
I'm going to create a level with 700 toilet paper rolls piled up so that they all fall down when you move one of them, ONE elebit and ONE minute to complete the level.

Offline rutledgek

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
Svevan  I will post my wii number in a bit.  Then I would be happy to explore wiiconnect24 and elebits with you.  Got it for christmas yesterday and haven't even had a chance to play it
Wii Code: - 4191 2684 4473 7202

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2006, 02:11:24 PM »
Thanks Smash Brother, you have convinced me to buy Elebits

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2006, 05:03:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario Thanks Smash Brother, you have convinced me to buy Elebits

You want to try the toilet paper level that badly, eh?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Thanks Smash Brother, you have convinced me to buy Elebits

This is perhaps the biggest irony in the history of forever...

I gotta save this!

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: Mario Thanks Smash Brother, you have convinced me to buy Elebits

You want to try the toilet paper level that badly, eh?

S_B... as much as the game may be lacking, you making toilet paper levels for it makes up for all its flaws.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Keldryn

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2006, 07:38:20 PM »
My wife and I have been playing Elebits all day, after playing for 3 or 4 hours last night after we got home.  We're having an absolute blast with it.   I think we're ready to start level 16, but we've been going back to some of the earlier levels to try and unlock the "Eternal Mode."  Level 12 is extremely cool when you can just take your time with it...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 26, 2006, 09:14:27 PM »
I've really loved the extra stuff the game has you do (like avoiding making sound) though I do admit I HATE those nasty Elebits (those of you who have played the game know what I'm talking about).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
How is a 77.7% score low?  That's just over 3/4, it's nearly a 4/5.  I fail to see how that's a low score.  It's a rental, at least.

(btw, EGM is the scum of the gaming journalism world. . . and that's saying something)

what the hell is this 77% crap
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2006, 03:58:07 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64 This is perhaps the biggest irony in the history of forever...

I gotta save this!

Nah, Mario's just being a prickly pear about it.

The irony is that even if he says he loves the game, no one can believe him now because the only alternative is to admit he bought the game to spite me and that it was a poor choice.

Though I'd advise him to go back and read my progression through this thread: I started out loving the game but liked it less and less as I played on and now I'm kinda lukewarm with it.

I've been hammering through the levels without failing any of them and that makes it tolerable, but like I said earlier, if I get to a level where I'm just 50w short when time runs out, that's likely all it'll take to make me quit the game for good.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2006, 07:00:35 PM »
I just rented Katamari Damacy: Gravity Gun and I like it. A lot.

Seriously, this game IS Katamari Damacy. It's structured exactly the same and the thrills both games provide are very difficult to explain. I would guess that the fun here won't last forever, especially on multiple playthroughs, much like KD. But for now, I'm having a blast. Throwing desks and bookshelves around like a mad man is bliss. Also, having the best FPS controls on the Wii thus far certainly helps.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
I just rented Katamari Damacy: Gravity Gun and I like it. A lot.

Seriously, this game IS Katamari Damacy. It's structured exactly the same and the thrills both games provide are very difficult to explain. I would guess that the fun here won't last forever, especially on multiple playthroughs, much like KD. But for now, I'm having a blast. Throwing desks and bookshelves around like a mad man is bliss. Also, having the best FPS controls on the Wii thus far certainly helps.

I forgot all about that aspect, the FPS controls are pretty much flawless and really show how the Wii can change aiming in games.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2006, 04:11:27 PM »
I just started messing with the editor tonight and I absolutely love it.  If you like to mess around and make things you can't pass it up.

If anybody is interested in trying out my basic level I'll send it to you, I want to try out the wiiconnect24 stuff.  I got the idea for the level when I realized that slamming objects into shooting tanks makes elebits come out.  It is basically an arena I built where you have one object to use as club in order to stop the elebits from shooting you.   I also put in some spectator elebits that watch the action from a distance and a couple of powerups.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution I forgot all about that aspect, the FPS controls are pretty much flawless and really show how the Wii can change aiming in games.

Speaking as someone who has played the other three Wii FPS offerings, the FPS controls in Elebits are slow, cumbersome and only passing acceptable because you never find yourself in a situation where turning around quickly is necessary.

The best FPS controls on the Wii currently are in FarCry with the camera sensitivity all the way up. FarCry's ability to stop all camera movement with the A button to allow for pure aiming is perfect, and Elebits would have GREATLY benefitted from such a feature (like if it were mapped to either the A or B buttons instead of using both of them to fire the gun).

I don't need to point out how much easier flinging objects around would be if you could lock the camera and thus not have to worry about accidentally moving the view around. IMHO, any game with FPS controls on the Wii henceforth MUST have the camera lock feature at the push of a button. Any other way at doing it just fails miserably.

Also, something occurred to me: imagine how awesome co-op, spilt screen multiplayer could have been in this game: you find yourself in situations where you need to use your gravity gun to grab the other player and move them to high platforms, past obstacles and through gauntlets of peril where a steady hand is an absolute must. I can see a level where one player must lift the other high in the air so that the 2nd player can grab hold of an object, then, they must maneuver that object to a location with both players performing in perfect synchronicity.

Instead, the mutliplayer is a laughing joke of disorganized chaos where every person I've shown it to has afterwards said, "No thanks." on the idea of playing again, ever.

I've played to mission 25 and I still can't see this game being worth it. It seems like Konami thought the novelty of using the Wiimote to move crap around would carry the game through repetitive and boring gameplay. VG said it best "Small doses".