Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 350249 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #500 on: June 04, 2006, 12:45:54 PM »
My suggestions:

CHARACTERS

Bowser Junior
I reckon Bowser Junior could work quite well. Maybe toned down power-wise compared with Bowser, but more agile. I was thinking of one of his moves being a transformation to Shadow Mario from Super Mario Sunshine, like the Zelda to Shiek move in SSBM. Shadow Mario could have a goo attack, a staff attack and maybe even a paint warphole for a save-your-life move.

STAGES

Mario Sunshine Worlds
Just imagine how well some of the Sunshine areas could turn out. Possibly at Ricco Harbour, there could be moving platforms from the cranes, and Bloopers in the background that occasionally fire slime onto the arena. Or what about Gelato Beach, with sand dunes popping up and Quack Attacks running in to cause havoc every so often.

Then again, these ideas are mainly because I broke out Super Mario Sunshine for the first time in ages, and I had SSBB on my mind at the same time.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 04, 2006, 12:53:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Smoke39
...but to me it just seems like they were like "whoa, orchestra music is fancy, let's use it because we can!"

Well let me tell you its not. As Spak-Spang mentioned it's not cheap at all, especailly in Japan as it's actually less expensive (and has been done before) to fly a crew out to Russia or Germany and use their orchestras while bringing along a Japanese composer. So this is not something where they simply said "Eh, want to use a Orchestra?" "Sure, why the hell not?" There are huge expenses attached so this descion does not come easy, and it's why you don't see a great deal of orchestration in video games as it's not economically feasible for the most part.

The cost is actually part of my perception that it's often used even when another type of music might fit better.  Like it's sometimes used just as a way to show off, like, "Check it out, we spent a bunch of money to make fancy orchestra music."  That is, having fully orchestral music is another bullet that can be added to the box, so to speak.

Anyway, I just don't like seeing it used out of context is all, like my Deus Ex theme example.  Like, from melee I thought the music for the fountain of dreams fit pretty well, but had they tried to use orchestra music for Mr. Game And Watch's stage, it wouldn't have fit at all, imo.  I just don't want them to limit themselves to orchestra music for every single stage in Brawl just because orchestra music is presitgious, when another style might suit it better, you know?
GOREGASM!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #502 on: June 04, 2006, 12:57:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I just don't want them to limit themselves to orchestra music for every single stage in Brawl just because orchestra music is presitgious, when another style might suit it better, you know?

Just because they are using a orchestra, does not mean that there is some clause somewhere that states that every peice of music must be orchestrational on account of that. Given the past two games, I would be very surprised if the 8-bit Mario theme isn't used for example.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #503 on: June 04, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »
I hope so.  Maybe I misread something, but I had kinda gotten then impression that the entire soundtrack was gonna be orchestral.
GOREGASM!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 04, 2006, 05:15:36 PM »
Sunshine levels would be awesome..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 04, 2006, 07:45:15 PM »
I bet we will see a Mario Galaxy level. I would love some kind of tiny planet that everyone could fight on. Very similiar to the Rapheal the Raven Boss on Yoshis Island, anyone remember? Fighting upside down and side ways really sparks my interest.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 04, 2006, 07:59:24 PM »
On the subject of Wii game levels, I'd like to see an EXCITE TRUCK level. There could be like a ramp where BIG DAMN TRUCKS would randomly zoom past over the stage. Like the cars in the Earthbound level of SSBM.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #507 on: June 04, 2006, 08:26:05 PM »

I'm not mistaking it for anything, I just don't like it. :b

How you can prefer fake electronic simulations of real instruments to, you know, real instruments is beyond me. I suppose I can agree with you that for some classic stages electronic bleeps and bloops might be better, but, yeah.

Actually, I hope this is a sign of things to come from Nintendo. How awesome would it be for the next Zelda game to have fully orchestrated music?
ā€œ...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.ā€ - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 04, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »
More ideas

Chibi Robo
This little guy has a lot of capabilities, which could be changed into attacks. Attack with his plug could be the standard A hit. For B moves, it could have the Chibi-Copter as a save-the-life move as well as hitting others with the blades. The Chibi-Blaster could be used in the sort of way Samus used his Charge Beam. The Squirter could hit and push opponents away. And for a little finishing touch, if Brawl will keep the pose move when you press up on the D-Pad, Chibi could do his Drake Redcrest pose.

Pikmin arena
A lot of posters have suggested Captain Olimar. I agree with that idea, but what about a Pikmin map? All the crates/barrels would be replaced by Pikmin pallets, the spaceship and the onions randomly flying above, and maybe even have the arena change, like the SSBM Pokemon Stadium. One moment, you're fighting in the Impact Site, with clams biting onto your feet to slow you down, when suddenly it changes to Forest Naval, with jets of steam shooting you up.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:12 PM »
actually, can anybody bring up anything that insinuated the soundtrack would be mostly orchestral, or is this based entirely off the trailer?

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #510 on: June 04, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
ā€œ...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.ā€ - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 04, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
aha, i be wrong.

Offline Dryden

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 06, 2006, 02:54:56 AM »
I'd really, really like to see more first generation stages.  Like the SMB1 stage in Melee, but for other franchises.
A retro Kid Icarus stage is a likely given.  An 8-bit Metroid stage would work great, too.  But I really, really want a retro DK stage - in fact, just put the first level of the original Donkey Kong on screen a la the Game and Watch stage in Melee.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 06, 2006, 08:50:22 AM »
Some new info translated from the Japanese site HERE

Some highlights  
"Non-Nintendo characters added into the game MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform. The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added is 1-2."
"Not all characters will return."

Go check the link for more info.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 06, 2006, 12:04:34 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
Actually, I hope this is a sign of things to come from Nintendo. How awesome would it be for the next Zelda game to have fully orchestrated music?

Uh, I'm pretty sure Nintendo already said that Twighlight Princess will be fully orchestrated.  Then Matt at IGN used it as another excuse to complain about the lack of voice acting.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

« Reply #515 on: June 06, 2006, 12:23:39 PM »
Muffins will eat your fanny chosen child of the underworld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOGA BOOGA!!!!!!!!!
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #516 on: June 06, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Donutt007
Some new info translated from the Japanese site HERE

Some interesting tid bits, nice to get a more complete story behind some of the things that were said.  Although that "not all characters might return" thing could just be a clause, especially if it's revealed that a few of the clones are gone, yet preparing people for something possibly more severe will make it seem fairly minor when all is said and done... although what could happen at this stage is anyone's guess.

Originally posted by: please let me in, please
Muffins will eat your fanny chosen child of the underworld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOGA BOOGA!!!!!!!!!

The hell?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 06, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Donutt007
"Not all characters will return."

GUH!

Also, no online ranking system? Balls to that.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 06, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey

Originally posted by: wandering

Uh, I'm pretty sure Nintendo already said that Twighlight Princess will be fully orchestrated.  Then Matt at IGN used it as another excuse to complain about the lack of voice acting.

What Kondo and Aunoma said was that some parts of the game will be orchestrated, specially cutscenes from the way they worded it, and Aunoma specifically reminded us that he "must keep things within budget". Maybe things have changed and its fully orchestrated now but I doubt it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 06, 2006, 02:16:17 PM »
Well the whole "within a budget line" was said at last years E3 before they delayed the game and decided to make a Wii version of it.  Any budget they had they've probobly gone way over by now so anything is possible.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 06, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »
"The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added is 1-2."

My bet is on Sonic and Pacman.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 06, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
"The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added is 1-2."

My bet is on Sonic and Pacman.

Probably good guesses.

Though it's "Pac-Man!"  Pac-Man!  With a hyphen!  Like Spider-Man!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 06, 2006, 04:17:18 PM »
Has anyone else seen this clip?

WWE Smash Bros

Wow, whoever did this did a perfect job.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 06, 2006, 04:22:52 PM »
Pac-man sure but Sonic is a no go more than likely.  I doubt him being on Gamecube and the handhelds are enough.  Plus as mentioned in the thread about what you would want in this game his moveset would have to be very creative to even remotely be close to the source material.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 06, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »
"Pac-man sure but Sonic is a no go more than likely"

What?  Sonic has WAY more chance of being in than Pac-man does...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~