Author Topic: FIRST REV SCREENSHOT SCANS!!!!!  (Read 128030 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Red Steel Topic, new details added!
« Reply #400 on: July 01, 2006, 10:06:44 PM »
I really hope this turns out to be good.

This could be the killer app next gen needs (cause lord knows 360 doesn't have it).
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Red Steel Topic, new details added!
« Reply #401 on: July 01, 2006, 10:29:58 PM »
I don't know, Gears of War looks pretty kick ass to me... and well thought-out to boot.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 01, 2006, 10:58:16 PM »
Looks pretty cool, however, the idea behind Gears of Wars doesn't sound as fun as the idea of Redsteel.

Who knows which one will make the better game though.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 01, 2006, 11:20:28 PM »
Gears of War and Prey, along with the countless other FPSers coming up are starting to blend together in my mind. Red Steel at least manages to be not on a FPS but also adds in some truly innovating elements that will distinguish it from the rest of the FPS games coming out. Now how all it will come together in the end is another story, but that it actually distinguishes itself is a huge positive in my book.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 02, 2006, 12:51:17 AM »
Gears of War, to begin with, is a Third Person Shooter. Go see one of the E3 2006 playthroughs of it with Cliffy B. explaining it. The game looks very well-thought-out, and it may just be the first game to get third-person-shooters right, contrary to Miyamoto's opinion on the genre.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 02, 2006, 01:49:38 AM »
EGM pretty much trashes Red Steel and its sword controls in their new issue.  People are saying it is overhyped, looks like a GameCube game, and plays like an on rails shooter, a horror show pop out ride with floaty aiming...not the bridge between FPS mouse controls and the console game pad.  

First person and sword control (using the nunchuck) means tunnel vision and targeting.  Sword fighting would work fine in third person like a Zelda game with a 3/4 perspective camera where the developer controls the camera and the space is taken out; the player can see in all directions and swing the remote freely without any camera issues.  The developers of Red Steel have chosen to face the challenge of first person sword fighting; the E3 build was more like a game built with the 360's pad in mind if you know what I mean.

I am currently confused about the game's controls, every source has a different story.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 02, 2006, 02:39:27 AM »
I certainly don't expect Red Steel to get everything right on the first go. But I think that the game's criticism is horrendously overblown. It's almost as if gaming publications want to pick on it.

If Red Steel promises to have "gesture-based" sword-fighting embedded in its first-person shooter elements, how can anyone deny that it offers something unique among the sea of generic FPS' that are voraciously consumed by gamers and gaming magazines everywhere?

Besides, this isn't Nintendo making it. We can't expect perfection. Heck, third parties take AGES to get anything right. Look at XIII. Uck. That got a mediocre score though didn't it? If Red Steel turns out to have straightforward FPS gameplay and then some neat little gesture-based swordplay, I'd fully expect it to be hailed as at least an interesting yet mediocre attempt at a game.

And heck, that's enough for me. After all, I can hold my gun gangsta style. I'm sold.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 02, 2006, 04:47:17 AM »
Goldeneye wasn't Nintendo making it, GTA wasn't Nintendo making it, what Red Steel needs to do is define what people will expect from Wii. If it's crap then Wii controls will be "not that good" and the entire future of Nintendo will be downhill. Even if someone makes a better FPS afterwards noone will look at it because it "wont be that good".

I thought it looked awesome in the E3 presentation, but obviously others who played it didn't and there's obviously people out there now throwing trash bags at it. Either they're wrong (hopefully) or the game needs to be delayed from launch. Yeah yeah I know Wii Sports / Metroid / Wario / Big Damn Trucks will be awesome, fans of them will be buying those games anyway, Red Steel is THE casual gamer game. The 100 million people who bought a PS2 for cars n gunz n blud and are ALREADY INTO videogames (aka easy sales).

Also I like fun games! I guess as long as it's not broken people will love it. People loved Enter the Matrix. (i've encountered such human species). But who's talking about Enter the Matrix NOW? HUH? I guess I am. No i'm not drunk, GO RED STEEL!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 02, 2006, 06:05:02 AM »
Gear of War looks like its coming together well.  I don't know about Prey...  The thing is that Gear of War is taking to long to get to market.  I was under the impression when they first revealled 360  that Gear of War would be within the first year +- a quarter.  If Red Steel is tight with a good story and gameplay it wouldn't have to be long.  It could steal the first True Next Gen game away from Gear of War because of Time to market.  Though I have a feelling that something else is going to be what we are hailing the second coming after launch.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 02, 2006, 07:21:39 AM »
Gears of War looks like Brute Force to me.  It is a third person squad based shooter that is very overhyped.  I expect the final product to be similar and it be an ok game but no where near the hype.

No free sword movement doesn't seem like a problem.  If you slash in a direction the sword will as well just like you are swinging a sword.  The only part taken out is the ability to see the sword move with you and look cool.  While I like things that look cool it doesn't really take much away.
I am really looking forward to Red Steel and I don't expect all of the current videogame reviewers to embrace it.  All they can usually do is talk about mouse controls and compare it.  People who are used to and love a certain control system and derivatives of it usually aren' t ready to accept something different.  A mouse shouldn't even be mentioned when talking about it because it is not a fusion of a game controller and a mouse but a light gun game with first person shooter movement.  Red Steel won't play like usual and shouldn't.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 02, 2006, 07:43:55 AM »
Gears of War looks like kill.switch.

I.e., boring.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2006, 12:10:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Gears of War, to begin with, is a Third Person Shooter. Go see one of the E3 2006 playthroughs of it with Cliffy B. explaining it. The game looks very well-thought-out, and it may just be the first game to get third-person-shooters right, contrary to Miyamoto's opinion on the genre.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I watched the live action feeds from IGN, and I stand corrected that it isn't a FPS, I missed that when I was reading through hands-on impressions with the game. With that said I can't believe people are getting excited about the game, if the gameplay videos are any indication it looks like a generic run and gun shooter. There is no variety in the enemies, and you basically shoot mindlessly at hordes of them. Heck it might as well be a FPS, it seems to play like like one (a very generic one at that) only with a 3rd person view. I'll give you that later on the game may improve, but so far I'm not impressed, it looks like yet another mindless, gory, post apocalyptic shoot fest.

In referring to Nemo's bashing of Red Steel, all that may be true, but I believe the E3 build was basically built on GC hardware so that can explain alot. Not only that but Ubisoft seems to be addressing the issues people had with the game, so I wouldn't count it out yet based on an E3 demo.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 02, 2006, 02:26:28 PM »
I had the pleasure of sitting in on a Gears of War demonstration in the front row as Cliffy B. of Epic described what they were doing with the game. Perhaps that's why I have a better outlook on the game: Cliffy B. sounded very dedicated to the project, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He talked of how he wanted to recreate the experience of using gameplay cover (and how that introduced an almost platformer aspect to the game, going from cover to cover instead of platform to platform), and talked of capturing visceral experiences such as sprinting into cover and "slamming" your shoulder against the cover's surface physically.

I was also impressed by small innovations, like a system where players can shift their attention and their camera to points of interest or doors in a room with a simple press on the D-pad, or bounce indicators for grenades. And of course, because they want the game's weapons to be physically on the character so that players can actually see the character physically switch/pull out weapons instead of them magically appearing, this will by its nature pare down the variety of weapons, and make the game based on other game mechanisms.

It almost seems as if the game is going back to old-school gameplay-based challenges. The game is more about using cover than aiming guns. Heck, the enemies are immune to headshots! I really do think that, considering the subtleties of how the game was designed, it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the "rest" of those FPS'. With the rest of the sci-fi third-person shooters, yes, but not the FPS'.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 02, 2006, 03:04:31 PM »
Still, no matter how innovative, how many games allow you to shoot or slice at will?

That's all I'm saying. If one were to have a better chance at becoming a killer-app it would be Red steel; arguably, because the Wii is so innovative (thus making its titles innovative, or at least more prone to innovate).

And in all honesty, no matter how good Gears of Wars is, if Red Steel is great, it won't matter.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 02, 2006, 03:25:47 PM »
Whenever I see Gears of War, I get this Warhammer 40k vibe off it. Really, just look at it. Barbaric enemies with very slapped-together weapons sounds a lot like Orks, and the Humans are a mix of Space Marines and Imperial Guard. Look at the symbol the humans have; It's a skull in a gear. What other sci-fi brand had the humans use a skull as their icon? Warhammer 40k. Heck, in the trailer the guy has a chainsaw bayonet! Chainsword ripoff FTW.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 02, 2006, 04:02:57 PM »
I see Gears of War as a game that may be fun at first, but gets quite repetitive later on. All the fancy little details they have will begin to wear thing if it turns into a shoot and take cover fest.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 02, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
I'm generally optimistic on Gears of War, but ANYWAYS... I'm not buying $400 of hardware for any game but Mario/Zelda.

But! I'm intent on buying Red Steel at launch. All I want from that game is a nice little twist on the regular formula, and I'll be happy. Already I'm very impressed with the art direction for the game, how everything seems outlined or suffused with light. It's so awesome! Like a garish Tokyo nightlife!

I personally think that Red Steel simply needs to be adequate to succeed. The Wiimote will do the rest. However, I'm not quite so sure that the gaming media (oh, excuse me, the gaming consumer advice publications) will be quite so objective and instead set off on a critical stint of Nintendo bashing.

Ubisoft! Take heart! Make Red Steel 2 and keep working on improving those controls! I believe in you!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 02, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »

I'm generally optimistic on Gears of War, but ANYWAYS... I'm not buying $400 of hardware for any game but Mario/Zelda.

But! I'm intent on buying Red Steel at launch. All I want from that game is a nice little twist on the regular formula, and I'll be happy. Already I'm very impressed with the art direction for the game, how everything seems outlined or suffused with light. It's so awesome! Like a garish Tokyo nightlife!

I personally think that Red Steel simply needs to be adequate to succeed. The Wiimote will do the rest. However, I'm not quite so sure that the gaming media (oh, excuse me, the gaming consumer advice publications) will be quite so objective and instead set off on a critical stint of Nintendo bashing.

Ubisoft! Take heart! Make Red Steel 2 and keep working on improving those controls! I believe in you!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Chances are pretty good that I will get a hands on with Gears of War, since my mentor at Microsoft (head of franchise development) is going to try and get me into beta testing their in production games. The thing is that I probaly won't be able to talk about it since I will have to sign a non disclosure form, so I won't be able to give my opinion beyond whether my opinion is still positive or negative.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 02, 2006, 05:18:41 PM »
Hmm... Wouldn't Epic do their own in-house testing? Or is the Gears of War Project so important to Microsoft since it's their best shot to spoil the PS3 launch?

Oh, and I have no idea how multiplayer went for GoW, I've just heard from other people that it was nice.

Traitor! Spy! Lover of Mr. Redd White of Bluecorp!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 02, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »

Hmm... Wouldn't Epic do their own in-house testing? Or is the Gears of War Project so important to Microsoft since it's their best shot to spoil the PS3 launch?

Oh, and I have no idea how multiplayer went for GoW, I've just heard from other people that it was nice.

Traitor! Spy! Lover of Mr. Redd White of Bluecorp!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Well my mentor was unsure about the specifics, so we'll see. Even if I don't get to play it, it should be a great and unique experience. He is also going to see if I can get a tour of MS Game Studios, which should be an exciting and memorable time.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 02, 2006, 06:42:22 PM »
VGRevolution does that mean your Co-oping/Interning at Microsoft or do you have a job with them?

I know I don't make the qualifications to even apply.  A company that has 2000 jobs 3000 applicants only accepts 1000 of them and then turns around and complains that there aren't enough people applying for jobs.  Thats some stiff requirements.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2006, 10:38:05 PM »
Just paid a visit to the Ubisoft Red Steel site and watched the trailer there. Silly me. Am TOTALLY pumped again for this game.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 02, 2006, 10:55:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
VGRevolution does that mean your Co-oping/Interning at Microsoft or do you have a job with them?

I know I don't make the qualifications to even apply.  A company that has 2000 jobs 3000 applicants only accepts 1000 of them and then turns around and complains that there aren't enough people applying for jobs.  Thats some stiff requirements.

Nah it isn't an internship, but it could get me one down the line. At my university they have a mentorship program where they choose someone to pair you with that is an industry you are interested in, my top choice was someone at Nintendo but they don't take in students. My second choice was Microsoft, and they paired me with Ed Ventura who is in charge of franchise development (his task mainly focuses on side ventyures for their franchises, like arranging movie deals, with an example being Halo or selling rights to make toys based off a series). I've been meeting him for 1 hr 30 minutes every Friday and serves as mentor who I can talk to and learn from. He is going to see if I can get an internship which is required for my bachelors, but if not then down the line he may serve as a great connection within Microsoft.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 03, 2006, 06:01:53 AM »
That Rocks.  Which school do you got to?  I know at mine they said they help me get experience and get a coop/internship.  5-years down the line no help whatsoever and I had to fight to get the bad co-op that I got.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 03, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
I go to Seattle Pacific University in Washington, they are a private school but have been highly praised for their Business program. To graduate I need an internship, which I plan on doing last since it is possible I could go right from that to full time job with whomever I get the internship with. After experiencing Microsoft, especially their game division, I think I may try to go for my masters down the line and try to get on with Microsoft as an intern.