Author Topic: Gettin' Cube...finally!  (Read 211423 times)

Offline Untouchable_Dom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gettin' Cube...finally! (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2003, 07:54:59 PM »
Okay, here is my opinions,

Resident Evil Zero: Not only will it give you a good scare or two, but if your a fan of the franchise or wanna get into it, this is where it all starts baby, oh YEAH! Doesn't get much better then this, leech kicking, hunter killing, zombie nut kicking goodness.

Star Fox Adventures: If your into adventure games this is a definate pick-up IU had LOADS of fun with this titles and this is definatly one of the top ten gamecube games, plenty of the item collecting nostalgia that takes you back to the days of Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie

Eternal Darkness: Another creepy title, not as 'jumpy' as resident evil, nor does the graphics match resident evils, but the story line and impressive gameplay is where the game is at. Its definatly as involving as any psychological thriller of a movie, action and storyline and plenty of puzzles let you know this game is one of the BEST!

Metroid Prime: one of the OLDEST franchises were amped up for this game and it didn't come out half bad. Surprisingly it has the same feel as the old Metroid games even though its 3-D and first person, plus it gives a needle full of Nostalgia but from back in the early nineties.

Timesplitters 2: This game is nothing less then FUN! Its a FPS and is a fast paced story lined based game from the people that brought you 'Goldeneye' on the 64, this game feels SOOO familure it might scare you.
"All your base are belong to us"

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2003, 10:37:32 AM »
alright i dont know if this has been discussed yet but i don't have time to read all 150 posts.
anyways i'm pretty much split between two games, ikaruga and burnout 2. after reading PGC's review of burnout 2 i'm thinking about trading in NFS:HP2 for it. but then i see all the great reviews ikaruga is getting....  help!  i haven't played the original burnout but it looks sweet and i think i'd like it, but i kind of also want a classic shooter type of game...
one question i have about both of these games is do they have multiplayer?  

Offline Black_Behemoth

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2003, 03:11:17 PM »
Hmm, I'd have to say:

1) Wind Waker
2) Metroid Prime
3) Super Smash Bros. Melee
4) Ehh.......If you're a Mario fan, try Super Mario Sunshine
5) Luigi's Mansion. It's a bit short, but pretty fun
6) The Ocarina of Time (I don't think you can get those anymore)
137) Star Fox Adventures

Don't get Star Fox Adventures, it sucked! Basically it was a Rare patented "Collectathon". Plus, the inappropriate colors (colours) will give you a head ache.
If I don't survive, tell my wife.......hello.

Offline Bink

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2003, 03:38:34 AM »
Believe it or not, Bomberman Generation is an excellent multiplayer game.  
The Legend of Zelda is the greatest game series of all time.

Offline TheGlueBubble

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2003, 04:54:19 AM »
Gharakh: I would get Ikaruga. I picked it up yesterday, and it rules. But I haven't played burnout 2, so it's your call.
GC games: Wind Waker, OOT/MQ, Ikaruga, Mario Sunshine, SSBM,  Resident Evil, Timesplitters 2, Animal Crossing

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2003, 07:35:51 AM »
alright cool. i think i'm gonna rent em both first just to see, but i think i'm gonna get ikaruga. i've got NFS which satisfies my racing needs gotta relive the good ol' shooter days

Offline Jainmb925

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2003, 08:29:51 PM »
 I totallly agree with you, Zelda:WW is awsome, and the master is even greater.  Both games have something to do with the story of Link so check it out.  Metriod Prime is off the chain, I beat it three times just for the extras.  They're worth it, have fun man.....oh and by the way welcome to the cube side.  LOL  
~Unfathomable is the true quantity of my repertoire owed to my cognizance, puissance, and dexterousness~

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2003, 12:58:06 PM »
This seems like the right thread, so maybe someone can help me out.  Gamecube is the first console I've owned since the SNES, so I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the gaming community, so to speak.

Once I finish Wind Waker, I'm going to be looking for my next game purchase.  I'm a little burned out on RPGs.  I think I'd like a platforming-type game.  To be more specific, I enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine and I think I'd like something with a similar graphical and gameplay style.  Help me out here!  First person to offer a good suggestion wins ... absolutely nothing!

-Angus

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2003, 03:13:38 PM »
If you want another platformer get Vexx it's pretty good  
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2003, 09:34:18 PM »
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is coming this year. A nice and seemingly original game from Sonic Team. I'm going to keep an eye on this one

Until then I think maybe you might want to check out Rayman 3. Sonic Adventure DX looks like it'll be a nice choice but it's coming out June. Maybe Wario World might turn out well despite the impressions from E3 2002. After all, it's been well over a year since it was first shown so the game should've advanced well enough to be a worth purchase.

Sorry that most of my games suggested are future games

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2003, 06:22:48 AM »
If you like Mario Sunshine you will probably want to get Wario World when it comes out in a few months.

Must Own Games

1: Metroid Prime - Excellent game, the last boss is a pain so you get some gratification after you win
2: Wind Waker - excellent game, the worst part is that it was too easy
3: Zelda Master Quest - Pick it up if you still can
4: Super Smash Brothers Melee - Very good multiplayer, not so good solo
5: Mario Party 4 - Very good multiplayer, not so good solo
6: Super Mario Sunshine - Not the best game, but definately fun for a while
7: Pikmin - Very fun game, only 7.5 hrs of gameplay tho since you have a time limit

Future Must Own Games (2003 release... hopefully)
1: Mario Kart
2: Wario World - If you like Super Mario Sunshine pick this one up too
3: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
4: Pokemon RPG (Prob not released until 2004 )
5: Star Fox Armadda
6: Pikmin 2

Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2003, 07:28:00 PM »
Im planning on buying NBA Street 2 in a few weeks because i loved the original so much. Does anyone here have it? How does it compare to the original, what new features does it have etc. Thanks in advance...

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2003, 04:33:22 PM »
gamecube games you NEED:

1: Skies of Arcadia. Just. get. it.
2: Zelda: Wind Wanker
3. Metroid Prime
4: Super Mario Sunshine
5. Smash Bros Melee

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2003, 10:08:42 AM »
Well, the person who recommended Vexx gets the prize.  I got it last week, and I've been enjoying it.

I also picked up Skies of Arcadia.  I haven't played it yet, but I figure it must be good since everyone is raving about it despite the fact that the graphics don't look so hot.  

-Angus

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2003, 04:19:44 PM »
Yay, I Won!!!
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline LaRz

• View Profile
RE: Gettin' Cube...finally! (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2003, 07:53:56 PM »
Definitly Zelda: The Wind Waker, best game ever!!
LaRz

Offline DesertDao

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2003, 04:57:17 AM »
I just sold my PS2 and bought a Gamecube.  I was really getting tired of the very poor quality of games coming out for the PS2.  And being a 40 yr old man who likes platform games I realize that I'm somewhat unusual.  But I decided to give the Gamecube a try......and sooooo glad I did!  I truly believe the graphics I've seen so far are much superior to anything on the PS2.  Here's the games I've bought and recommend so far (only had the Gamecube for 3 days now!):
1) Metroid Prime....blows away anything I had on PS2
2) Star Fox Adventures....okay, I really like it!
3) Super Mario Sunshine....wow!
4) Luigi's Mansion....again...love those graphics

My only disappointments are with Resident Evil & Godzilla.  I have never played it RE before and hate the controls.  Are the controls for Eternal Darkness the same?  Like Godzilla but have to admit that War of the Monsters on PS2 is a much superior game as far as graphics/control/arena size.  

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2003, 10:31:48 AM »
Eternal Darkness controls is nothing like the Resident Evil controls.

"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2003, 11:12:43 AM »
Definetly get Timesplitters 2 or Medal of Honor: Frontline/Rising Sun. Wario World is going to be way better then Sunshine IMO the waterpack just didnt work for me. Super Smash Brothers Melee is excellent for single player and multiplayer fun, the replay value is excellent too. NBA Street Vol.2 and 1 are also great...one of my favorite games.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline Zy[T]HeR

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2003, 07:00:56 PM »
Of the titles that I have played I can recommend [In on particular order mind you];

Eternal Darkness [I just got this title so I havent played it full through, but I recommend it to anyone]

Super Mario Sunshine [This one is a toughy, although it was a good game, I was disappointed with the way the game turned out]

Starfox Adventures [Awesome titles, just a bit on the short side]

Animal Crossing [I recently picked up this titles and its Nintendo through and through, awesome little gem]

Super Smash Bros Melee [Great title, Best enjoyed with some Coke, some form of food, and a handful of mates]

Waverace: Blue Storm [It might float your boat it might not, I enjoyed it]
TimeSplitters 2 [Just a well rounded FPS]

Sega Soccer Slam [SSS, IMO, would have to be the most underrated GameCube title to date. Suprisengly awesome, tons of stuff to do. Fun can wear off over a while but thats to be expected.

Aggressive Inline [If your an inline skating fan pick this one up]

Then there's the usual titles like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion etc.

Offline KornWild

• View Profile
RE: Gettin' Cube...finally! (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2003, 04:29:29 PM »
i don't know if anybody has said this yet, but Phantasy Star Online is great, if you have a modem that is
I alone have the sixth freedom. I am a splinter cell.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2003, 10:38:55 AM »

Originally posted by: DesertDao
I just sold my PS2 and bought a Gamecube.  I was really getting tired of the very poor quality of games coming out for the PS2.  And being a 40 yr old man who likes platform games I realize that I'm somewhat unusual.  But I decided to give the Gamecube a try......and sooooo glad I did!  I truly believe the graphics I've seen so far are much superior to anything on the PS2.  Here's the games I've bought and recommend so far (only had the Gamecube for 3 days now!):
1) Metroid Prime....blows away anything I had on PS2
2) Star Fox Adventures....okay, I really like it!
3) Super Mario Sunshine....wow!
4) Luigi's Mansion....again...love those graphics

My only disappointments are with Resident Evil & Godzilla.  I have never played it RE before and hate the controls.  Are the controls for Eternal Darkness the same?  Like Godzilla but have to admit that War of the Monsters on PS2 is a much superior game as far as graphics/control/arena size.

Eternal Darkness is much better, fun, controlled and story driven then REmake. Its as much a musthave as Metroid and Zelda and almost as good.
LZ 2005

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2003, 01:52:40 PM »
Would anyone suggest Ikaruga to someone who's not quite a hardcore shooter fan but definitely enjoys the genre? I had planned on getting Burnout 2 but on place in town has it yet (the mother of all shipment delays) and have kind of forgotten about it. I've heard Ikargua's great, but since it's kind of a low key game, no game rental places even carry it. I realise I could always buy the game and reutrn it if I need to (after all, it's only $40), but I'd like to get some people's opinions first. Thanks!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline DesertDao

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2003, 08:31:56 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  I'm about 2 hours into Eternal Darkness and had to quit last night because it was sorta spooking me.  It definitely plays with your mind like no other game I've seen....to say how would ruin it for others but I have to say DEFINITELY buy this game!!

Also...just an observation....coming from having a PS2 and about 40 games including every 'big' title....it may be just me but the Gamecube games (especially Metriod, Zelda Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Luigi's Mansion to name my favorites so far) all seem to hold my interest much better/longer than the PS2 games I had.  I still think the graphics are better and love those load times that are almost non-existent on the Gamecube.  

Based on everything I've read, tomorrow I'm getting Animal Crossing...can't wait!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2003, 01:59:50 PM »
SSB:M is an awesome game solo, if'n you have a restless imagination like me.  I played that game for just about four months straight and I still love it.

Of course, it's so much better with friends.

Wind Waker is officially awesome, now that I've played it (not to say it wasn't awesome before, but now I've confirmed it).
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>