Author Topic: Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???  (Read 9306 times)

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 04:35:57 PM »
"Sony's current design is far less risky."

No risk, no gain. Even if they put the sensors inside their boomerang, the new audience Nintendo is aiming for will balk at the controller's shape and complexity. No matter what they do for games, Sony doesn't stand to win anybody more than the people they've already won over to their side this generation, and given the X360's competition I doubt they'll even get that next gen. Nintendo on the other hand could potentially tap into a whole new source of gamers. (note: new gamers, not new tech geeks)

So here's a question for you Ian. If the options were:

a) Increasing the market size drastically so Nintendo could outsell the other two consoles
b) Going after the same people for a fourth generation in a row, where in each generation fewer of those people come back

Which would you choose? Because that's the situation as I see it and as I think Nintendo sees it as well. Nintendo chose both, why are you so intent on choosing only the second? Do you WANT them to run themselves into the ground?

Besides, "a controller that can do all the same movement stuff"? Oh, yeah, it's easier to use two hands when pointing places.

"Personally I think the real question should be can Nintendo replicate Sony with the shell."
Why is this a question? As far as I'm concerned Nintendo perfected that shell with the wavebird. If they focus on making a traditional shell I think it's pretty stupid to assume it'll be a problem.

"I think it's more important for the Rev to be able to play traditional games than for the PS3 to play remote moving games."
You say this because you have no idea how remote moving games will be like. How can you just write off a whole new way of playing games like that? Dammit Ian, it's something you haven't done before, you need to stop acting like you already know it sucks and at least give it a chance. Stop this arrogance. I know it hurts that you didn't think of this first but sometimes other people have good ideas.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »
Sony's controller requires two hands to hold, even with gyros it won't be able to do everything the Rev's rod does. And can you imagine swordfighting with a boomerang?

Offline boggy b

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 12:16:37 PM »
I don't think Sony will move to copy the Rev controller with the Eyetoy. If you look at how they're using the Eyetoy at the moment, and the (admittedly impressive) water and cup demo they showed at E3, it seems like they're going to be doing stuff that the Rev wont be able to do, not just apeing it.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 05:17:50 PM »
name one thing the eyetoy can do that the the rev controller can't(except put you on the screen).
The RevCon can do the water & cup demo too, actually for every 1 thing you come up with (if possible), forum members here can can come up with 4 things that work the other way around.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 09:46:45 PM »
The eyetoy can track more movements than the Rev but does so at a much lower accuracy. Plus the Rev rod has buttons and can get stuff attached to it, you'd need the Eyetoy and a controller to mimic that.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 08:45:36 AM »
Can you imagine using the eytoy with the contoller, and some extra work to the contoller, but that would be very awkward because you would probably have to hold the contol with both hands.  Think about the trailer for the NRC, especially the sword-fighting part, now try to imagine that same thing, but with the boomerang controller, its actually kinda funny.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 02:15:53 PM »
Actually you can't hold the REV controller as a sword neither without an attactment.  I mean you could but you have to be pointing the remote at the TV the whole time (there's only one senor on the remote and two attached to the Tube).

The eyetoy can work with objects in your hand (so you can actually get a real sword if you wanted too) and yeah it would be limited without buttons but I believe the Eyetoy two will come with attachments too (think voice comm is a bundled deal if I'm not mistaken or is that MS's Camera bundle).

You can do depth with one camera as well though it would be kinda hard with the contast but if your holding an object say a nice round ball then sure depth would be simple.  

I say both have + and - but imagine what a combo would be like .  Nothing says nintendo can't have a camera too.

Or a dance pad--hell I could use the workout .

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 02:21:34 PM »
if you cant use the rev controller as a sword, then why would they put that in the trailer?  If I remember correctly, the guy using the rev controller as a sword in the video wasnt always pointing at the tv.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »
You only need the Rev pointing at the TV if the game requires the direct pointing device. It can still sense motions without it.
"wow."

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2005, 02:42:40 PM »
Is there actually a direct pointing device? Is it an option? Why do all the games demoed have cursors if you can point directly?

The controller can definitely be used as a sword, but can it also be used as a lightgun?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 02:43:17 PM »
Using it as a sword you'd be facing the tv most of the time...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 03:05:15 PM »
The controller should be able to be used as a lightgun, but of course the tv-remote style doesn't provide the standard handgun sights you'd look thru for proper aiming.  So the cursors are present to help make up for that absence.

An MP5 submachine gun "shell peripheral" that you could insert the RevRemote into would be *BADASS*.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
An MP5 submachine gun "shell peripheral" that you could insert the RevRemote into would be *BADASS*.

Or a much simpler gun shell attachment could work too

LightGun Attachment

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 06:27:50 PM »
Well sure.

But I wouldn't use a sidearm shell if I'm interested in the look and feel of larger (mainly automatic) weapons.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 09:55:04 PM »
If you want it larger why an MP5 and not a G3?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2005, 09:57:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Well sure.

But I wouldn't use a sidearm shell if I'm interested in the look and feel of larger (mainly automatic) weapons.

That's disturbing.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2005, 06:19:13 PM »
http://cube.ign.com/articles/653/653867p1.html

Hey, IGN catches my drift.  Of course it's uglier than I'd prefer.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2005, 10:27:47 AM »
Back on topic....

I'd imagine the eye toy will be to the rev controller what the gamecube's online was to xbox live.

The real question is, how long will it be before Sony releases something like this?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2005, 01:35:28 PM »
BLOL SOMEONE'S REALLY GONNA GET HURT NOW.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2005, 02:05:49 PM »
gotta watch out for that nunchuk-a-rang  

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2005, 02:27:27 PM »
Sony seems to be going for that all important, nija/crocadile hunter demographic.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.