Author Topic: Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???  (Read 9372 times)

Offline Epitaph

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???
« on: September 17, 2005, 08:22:23 PM »
After seeing numerous videos of both ps3 combined with eyetoy and the revolution controller I cant help but think that nintendo could easilly copy any game nintendo releases with the eyetoy. Although ive never used it it seems as if it can map out a humans movment so this would in turn translate in what nintendos consol does. I also heard using a infored eyetoy or even 2 eyetoys they would be able to do even more then the current standard eyetoy. So is it possible that sony will just burn nintendo by copying them with technology they already have?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 08:39:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Epitaph
After seeing numerous videos of both ps3 combined with eyetoy and the revolution controller I cant help but think that SONY could easilly copy any game nintendo releases with the eyetoy. Although ive never used it it seems as if it can map out a humans movment so this would in turn translate in what nintendos consol does. I also heard using a infored eyetoy or even 2 eyetoys they would be able to do even more then the current standard eyetoy. So is it possible that sony will just burn nintendo by copying them with technology they already have?

fixed

and its possible that Sony could do some very interesting things with the eyetoy, but who wants to dance around and twist my head for the camera to do exactly the same thing withthe flick of the wrist.

whats even more intriguing is if Nintendo copied the eye-toy and used it in combination with the Rev remote controller

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE: Could sony replicate revolution with eyetoy???
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 08:48:23 PM »
I think Eyetoy would be a pretty hokey substitute. It wouldn't be as precise, they couldn't detect tilt, and would screw up anytime you moved out of range.

But I'd like to see them try anyway. That might be amusing.
"wow."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 05:41:54 AM »
Eye Toy only detects extreme movements with your body, with Revolution you just have to move the controller. Eye Toy doesn't exactly do anything else either, unless Sony put tilt sensors, buttons and gyros in all of us.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 06:41:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Eye Toy only detects extreme movements with your body, with Revolution you just have to move the controller. Eye Toy doesn't exactly do anything else either, unless Sony put tilt sensors, buttons and gyros in all of us.

And everyone knows Sony doesn't have the resources for that.  Now Microsoft that is another story...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 08:37:30 AM »
I've been thinking about that lately...Remember the cup of water demo at E3?  That worked sort of like the Revolution, but there are some key differences, the most important being that there are no buttons on you hands.  The eyetoy can pick up where you point the gun, but not when you shoot it or when you reload.  Second of all, the Eyetoy always will be an addition, whereas the Rev controller is the primary control mechanism that comes with the Revolution.  The Revolution will get much more support than the eyetoy, there's no doubt about it.  

I think Sony will probably TRY to combat the Rev with the Eyetoy, but it's not going to be particularly effective.  I know at least Sony fanboys will try to one-up Ninty with it though
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
The eyetoy can pick up where you point the gun, but not when you shoot it or when you reload.

umm the revolution couldnt tell when you shoot without you pressing a button. The eyetoy could tell where your controller is pointing and then you just pull the trigger. so its about the same,,, (reloading is a different story.)

but the revo will work with four people per Tv while the eyetoy would require some serious software that would have to tag each controller and measure where they are pointed etc....   hmm i wouldnt be surprised if Sony attempts to emulate it and puts it on some of their first ps3 commercials (they'd have that woman's voice from the ps9 commercial saying "control your games with your gestures" etc etc)
man i hate sony.
I'll shut up now...

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:08:58 AM »
There is no way the EyeToy can rival the Revolution when personal hands-on accounts are saying that the Revolution's controller is more precise than a mouse, as hard as that is to imagine. The EyeToy will never be able to compete with that.
Thanks for listening.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 10:23:58 AM »

umm the revolution couldnt tell when you shoot without you pressing a button. The eyetoy could tell where your controller is pointing and then you just pull the trigger. so its about the same...

That's why I mentioned buttons in the sentance before  Also, I was talking about just using your hands like previous eyetoy games, I wasn't talking about usuing the regular controller in conjunction with the eyetoy..Although I suppose I SHOULD have, since that makes sense, the only probelm with that is multiplayer games would be impossible..

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 12:07:26 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing

the only probelm with that is multiplayer games would be impossible..

actually the new eyetoy 2.0 can actually track multiple targets at once now, thanks to the tremendous power that is the cell processor [/pr speak]

so, multiplayer games shouldn't be a problem as long as the camera is pulled back far enough to get more than one person in the view.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 12:27:17 PM »
Oh damn, the Cell.  

STILL, you'd be kidding yourself if you thought the Eyetoy could simulate the Rev, and my other arguments still stand.  Even with teh ultimate Eyetoy 2.0, multiplayer couldn't possibly be very intuitive...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 02:57:19 PM »
funny how everyone thinks sony invented the concepty of eye toy..i had a  kung  fu and baloon pop game for my web cam years ago.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 06:47:17 PM »
sony actually bought a company for the eyetoy if im not mistaken. They made it popular thats the thing. Im worried the new eyetoy will be able to do similar things thus elliminating nintendos hopes for there uniqueness. Also if i remember correctly someone at nintendo specifically said they would like to build something similar to eyetoy hence the revolution. I could be wrong but untill I see both eyetoy 2.0 running and revolutions controller I cant rule out that this revolution may be thwarted right from the start.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 07:07:04 PM »
The eyetoy and the Rev revolve around completely different principles...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 07:22:53 PM »
One device receives images to pleasure people on the other side of the internets, while the other directly, physically pleasures one's self.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 07:25:55 PM »
plus i believe eyetoy couldn't really detect the depth like the Rev will,,, however, the Cell is without limit, so the rev may be stillborn poo on the eyetoy
I'll shut up now...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 08:38:02 PM »
I'd like to thank Cell for the framerate drops in the MGS4 trailer *CUTSCENE*.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 08:52:09 PM »
Image detection is so flawed the eyetoy could probably tell you where your controller is with 25cm accuracy. If it doesn't mistake your head for a controller, that is.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 09:30:46 PM »
KDR... you mean, even with the Cell?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 09:35:50 PM »
LOL the omnipotence of the cell is amusing ^_^
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 10:29:41 PM »
If Eyetoy 2.0 w/ CELL can't capture 720p video for HAWT online peer-2-peer interaction, I'm not impressed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 08:44:16 AM »
Eyetoy 2.0 can take HD resolutions to the highest quality... and not only can Eyetoy 2.0 detect depth it can also detect when you're happy or sad, Eyetoy 2.0 can detect when the turkey is done in the oven, or when you sister is pregnant.

Eyetoy 2.0 is all seeing & all knowing. With the power of cell behing the Eyetoy 2.0, there is nothing that Eyetoy 2.0 cannot do.

*starts chanting
All hail Eyetoy
Long live Eyetoy
All hail Eyetoy
Long live Eyetoy

-----------------------------------------------------------

but seriously, supposedly* eyetoy is an HD camera and is accurate to the pixel.  Its execution of getting the user involved to control or interact with imagery on the screen is ultimately different, but can have very similar results. Many interesting things will be possible with eyetoy, but the DPD is specifically designed to do most things the eyetoy can do (except put the user on the screen) and do it with absolute precision and minimal physical interactivity.

One of the many problems with eyetoy(in comparison to the DPD) is that you need something that is slightly reflective that the camera can track and hold it in you hand, and if you want to percieve depth, you will need a second camera.  Also the eyetoy is essentially a peripheral and will be lucky to tbe utilised in 5% of games made for the system in any sort of intuitive way.

*this is the key word, everthing after the asterix should be taken at face value and not as fact. It is all based on Sony marketing talk and internet heresay  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 10:16:57 AM »
aye, eyetoy be a bit scurvy compared to the savvy revolution, not of the wicked delight of waves. I'd be sea sick if eye toy be my captain.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 10:52:06 AM »
Eyetoy vs. Revolution is like IR PS1 pad vs. Wavebird.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 10:58:36 AM »
"who wants to dance around and twist my head for the camera to do exactly the same thing withthe flick of the wrist."

Who wants to flick their wrist when they can just push a button?  It's all a matter of opinion.

I don't think Sony could accurately replicate the Rev with the Eyetoy.  They might try.  I do think Sony could put motion control into the boomerang and crush the Rev remote like a grape with a controller that can do all the same movement stuff but has enough buttons to work with normal games without any extra attachments.

I don't know if Sony would go to that much trouble though. What do they think of this?  Are they scared or are they laughing their asses off?

Personally I think the real question should be can Nintendo replicate Sony with the shell.  I think it's more important for the Rev to be able to play traditional games than for the PS3 to play remote moving games.  One design is proven to be successful while the other isn't.  Sony's current design is far less risky.

Sony might as well wait until Nintendo shows off a real game.  There's no point trying to counter the remote unless Nintendo can actually deliver something worthwhile for it.