Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros.  (Read 29349 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: New Super Mario Bros.
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »
How would it *not* work?  You just have two players going through the same level trying to make it to the end...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 07:54:17 AM »
Isn't that what's already in it though? you just described multiplayer, not co-op, which the game has, I don't understand the difference you're implying.

They'd have to design entirely new levels dedicated to co-op alone to include that feature, which I don't think would be worth it.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 09:29:40 AM »
What's the difference between co-op and versus?  In one you are fighting against, and the other you are working together...

And no you wouldn't have to make dedicated co-op levels...Look at a game like Gunstar Heroes, where co-op just threw another player into the mix, with no change in level design...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 12:33:10 PM »
Co-op could always be done like Donkey Kong Country with the tag team format.  Not the same as something like Contra of Final Fight but it works.  It's really hard to do co-op with platformers because you rely on so much jumping and getting two people to jump at the same time takes a lot more effort than one would assume.  Or at least it does with any of my friends.

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:New Super Mario Bros.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 05:04:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
How would it *not* work?  You just have two players going through the same level trying to make it to the end...

Well, what would happen when one guy reaches the end but the other doesnt? He just waits? And you can't work together that well besides dividing which enemies to kill. But even then, one person is going to be faster than the other and get most of the enemies. Games like these are meant to be played one player or verses.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 01:27:29 AM »
I hope that it leaves all levels open for coop/counter op; I want to make the decision of whether racing with or against my friend.  I am also interested to see puzzles requiring two player coop action to solve to reach secret areas, short cuts, powerups, lives, Yoshi, etc.  There is so many possibilities with this game and Mario 128.  Think of Mario 128 as more like this game in 3D...Mario Kart minus the Karts with multiple paths through courses utilizing pipes for short cuts, Yoshis, powerups, and generally multiplayer on foot platforming action racing in a Mario game.  I don't want to see character with special abilities like Sonic Adventure; all characters should be able to go through the same course running, jumping, fighting, and working in teams sometimes (MKDD style) to beat other players to the flag.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 02:50:29 AM »
I thought Mario traditionally had linear courses and Sonic did all the multipath stuff?

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2005, 04:03:56 AM »
Mario has "courses" however, they may or may not be linear.  In some Mario games, there are multiple ways to solve the same puzzle, even though they may not be terribly different.  Also, often you can choose which levels you want to play.  Finally, if you remember Super Mario World (SNES) there was up to 3 ways to complete some of the levels.

I wouldn't really call Sonic or Mario "linear".

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 09:11:28 AM »
Is this really the most recent topic we have for this game?

Anyway, GameStop has some box art for the game.  Anyone know if this is official or if it's just a temp?  Is the game really going to be called New Super Mario Bros?  Craptacular.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2006, 09:59:20 AM »
It's still a temporary name as far I can tell...The game is still months away from completion...

Offline toad

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »
who thinks that yoshi is needed in this game?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 11:05:02 AM »
That box art sure sucks but the renders look really familiar.  They're probably from something else and GameStop just used them to make placeholder boxart.

I do hope the name of the game is changed.  Anything with "new" in the title sounds dated like two days after it comes out.  Plus we all hope this will be a classic game people will talk about for years and "New Super Mario Bros" would be an awkward name to reference ten years from now.  People would probably confuse it with whatever the newest Mario game is and we'd have Final Fantasy III like disclaimers every time the topic came up.

Offline toad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
yoshi needs to be in this game!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 11:25:13 AM »
In a way instead of Yoshi I would rather have what made Yoshi cool in the first place.  When Super Mario World came out the appeal wasn't the fact that Yoshi was in it.  It was the fact that there was this cool new power-up that let us do stuff we couldn't before.  It's that same novelty that made all the suits in Super Mario Bros 3 cool.  So I want a new power-up that gives me that same "wow this is neato" feel that Super Mario World did.

That's a big problem that comes up with sequels.  There's this real pressure to put in all sorts of great stuff from past games that the fans want.  But the fans don't actually "get" what they really want.  Yeah they like that old item or boss or level or whatever but what they really liked about it was that it was new and creative.  So what they REALLY want is something as new and creative or at the very least that's what will really satisify them even if they don't think so.  Rehashing a bunch of old stuff isn't a real sequel.  It's just a nostalgia trip like when old bands go on tours and just play a live greatest hits set.

I'm a Mario fan because each Mario game was significantly different from the others while still having some familiarity.  Each sequel was essentially.  You had to play it because it had stuff the earlier games didn't have and stuff the later games wouldn't have either.  New Super Mario Bros should be like that.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »
That box art is old as the hills.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
In a way instead of Yoshi I would rather have what made Yoshi cool in the first place.  When Super Mario World came out the appeal wasn't the fact that Yoshi was in it.  It was the fact that there was this cool new power-up that let us do stuff we couldn't before.  It's that same novelty that made all the suits in Super Mario Bros 3 cool.  So I want a new power-up that gives me that same "wow this is neato" feel that Super Mario World did.

New item for SMB

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 04:47:02 PM »
No matter how much I loved Super Mario World, I still think that it was a lesser game than Super Mario 3 because it only had three actual "suits"  mushroom, fire and cape.  Yoshi was nice, but even that and regardless of how great the game was, it felt like a lesser game because there was only three suits instead of the more than twice that in the previous game.

Other than that I already have my copy of New Super Mario Bros on pre-order, even though that the last mario game, Sunshine and the last one on SNES, Yoshi's Island I hated both.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 04:51:28 PM »
I think nitsu just hates Yoshi, it's the only explanation!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »
And America!

"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2006, 05:05:16 PM »
no, I love Yoshi.  Actually he is my favorite Mario character, then Peach (Princess Toadstool forever), then Mario and Luigi (as a team) and then baby Mario and Baby Luigi (team again.)  baby Peach, and then King Koopa (oops Bowser )

I just didn't like Sunshine and Yoshi's Island.  I actually like Yoshi's Story better than Yoshi's Island, and that was a bastardization of a game.

I didn't like Sunshine for a single reason, the secret levels should have been optional anot required, they threw off the pace of the game and required you to play it differently and you had to adjust or you couldn't finish the game.  At least in Super Mario 64 you could finish the game without getting all the stars in all the levels, or even a certain nummber in each level like in Sunshine, because the secret levels were required to advance the story.  I could deal with the camera, that was nothing.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 05:35:19 PM »
I LOVED the secret levels. Classic platforming goodness.

And that shell thing is so awesome. I want this game so much!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »

It's that same novelty that made all the suits in Super Mario Bros 3 cool.  So I want a new power-up that gives me that same "wow this is neato" feel that Super Mario World did.
Gimmick. Just like the Rev controller.

And seeing Bill's picture again reminded me that I shouldn't step into any NSMB thread until I get my hands on it; actually, I shouldn't have read this one.. This game, if there ever was one, deserved not to be spoiled..

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
Yoshi's Island I hated both.
Yoshi's Island. I actually like Yoshi's Story better than Yoshi's Island, and that was a bastardization of a game.

Ohh, now you've done it!    
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 07:00:58 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

It's that same novelty that made all the suits in Super Mario Bros 3 cool.  So I want a new power-up that gives me that same "wow this is neato" feel that Super Mario World did.
gimmick. Just like the Rev controller.

Exactly! Apparently, back then these additions were "neato", if they tried it now though it would be a gimmick that destroys Nintendo and makes the world burst into flames.

I think this game is still looking pretty terrible (the 3D look sucks), but then i've never been too much of a fan of 2D Super Mario Bros games (I like Mario for the gimmick games like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart, and Super Mario 64 which nobody can not love). Super Mario World bores me to tears, I like Super Mario Bros 3 quite a bit more, and then Yoshi's Island is better than the rest combined. There's my crappy opinion!

This game will flop.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 08:28:39 PM »
Yoshi's Story was so bad it made me want to pee myself.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2006, 01:58:52 AM »
Nitsu: Really? I preferred SMW, the levels were vastly inferior in SMB3 and the suits were used so rarely they didn't matter. I was a bit annoyed by the secret levels in SMS but that was mostly because they felt even weaker than SMB3's levels.