Author Topic: Mario 128 early 06 with a fixed camera - EGM  (Read 30715 times)

Offline mjbd

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Mario 128 early 06 with a fixed camera - EGM
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »
My biggest problem with Sunshine was that it gave very little incentive to collect all the shine, or even play through a second time.  I have played through Mario 64 around 10 times, but have only played through Sunshine once, and didnt collect all the shines.  Hopefully Mario 128 will have that "something" extra that made Mario 64 so special.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Mario 128 early 06 with a fixed camera - EGM
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2005, 04:47:45 PM »
What was the incentive to play through Mario 64 again?  I didn't see one other than the game being a lot of fun, just as Sunshine was...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2005, 07:51:34 PM »
It was new. At the time Mario 64 had really reached out and touched new ground. So playing through more than once was freaking mandatory! By the time we had SMS in our hands we had played so many games just like it, granted many of them Mario clones, that it felt not NEARLY so special. Hence worth playing again and again.

Now Nintendo weren't fools about it. They knew this and made the preperation of adding new gameplay via the waterpack. Which was cool. Just not nearly as revolutionary as the first great 3D action/platform game of our time. See?

I think come Mario 128 people (up to AND including me) will be more willing and much more able to apreciate the game apart from it's graphics or it's gimmick. We'll be more sophisticated. Not like the rabid drooling dogs we were back before SMS came out. "ME WARNT MARIO!!!11!1 GIVE 2 ME BERFER I TEH DI!!1one"<--------Yeah that was me, and it was most of YOU people as well, if you're honest with yourselves...heh.

Next time we'll be able to see how great the game is based on how it actually plays and not in comparison to the "legend" M64 has become. Imagine how great SMS would have seemed if SM64 had never existed. Granted this is a dreamworld perspective we will never know but still, there HAD to be someone who played SMS without having ever played M64. And I bet he thought SMS was genius. And if he didn't, hey the game had it's flaws, tru nuff.

And so may Mario 128. Maybe it will be TEH STEEMENG TIRD!!1 or maybe it will rock like granite. Who knows for sure? My money is on the latter of course.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2005, 11:50:12 PM »
I don't think they should call it Mario 128.  How about Super Mario Bros. 5?  The fifth Mario Bros. game staring both brothers.  The fifth sidescroller.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2005, 03:39:22 AM »
NEMO:  You know you got something there about Super Mario Bros. 5.  There is still great ground to explore in 2D platforming.  

Besides what I mentioned earlier about how great a new 2D game can play with the new Mario 64 moves included.  Imagine actual Cooperative play for the Mario game.  

In Mario Super Star Saga we got to feel what it would be like to have a game where we control both brothers at the same time.

Imagine if the levels were designed to be played by yourself, but also have additional secrets and challenges if you played Co-Op with a friend.  

Mario and Luigi could be designed to have special moves that compliment eachother, or moves that you do together to push the gameplay even farther.  

This could even be used to create complicated boss fights.  

Woot.  I like that idea.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2005, 02:41:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Rellik
Man, Mario Sunshine sure was great, wasn't it?

I wouldn't mind another game using the Mario Sunshine engine, at all!  It was fun

^--- Someone run a background check on this guy, i think he might know something.  
I'll shut up now...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2005, 06:36:37 AM »
Ya know rancid planet I never played SM64 befor the DS, so when I got Sunshine I was just amazed at how fun it was. I had so much fun with it, probably because I never played SM64. I had Banjo Kazooie and thought it was amazing, but then when Sunshine came out I could see why SM64 is so acclaimed. I have no idea why I never baught it for the 64.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2005, 06:42:50 AM »
OHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOD! Go....Go now.........buy it, hurry....THE PITCH FORKS ARE COMING!
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »
did anyone check out the pictures i posted on pages one and three?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2005, 02:02:53 PM »
Yeah, and I'm glad you aren't designing Mario games...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2005, 03:06:22 PM »
Your an ass Bill....

Note: Smiley face makes any comment nice...check!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2005, 08:59:44 PM »
Putting drug jokes into Mario would just plain out suck. Mario games are supposed to be lighthearted fantasy games, not something related to reality (one reason the SMB movie sucked).

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2005, 01:22:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Caterkiller
Ya know rancid planet I never played SM64 befor the DS, so when I got Sunshine I was just amazed at how fun it was. I had so much fun with it, probably because I never played SM64. I had Banjo Kazooie and thought it was amazing, but then when Sunshine came out I could see why SM64 is so acclaimed. I have no idea why I never baught it for the 64.

Glad to see SOMEONE enjoyed SMS, heh. I loved BK as well. The Banjo games were totally amazing if you ask me. As for why you never bought SM64 for your N64. Might I assume that you didn't buy your N64 at launch? Because I'd hate to think you were one of those weirdos who optioned out for Pilotwings 64 instead.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2005, 09:17:59 AM »
PilotWings 64 was one of the greastest games EVER!

I got both SM64 and PW64....and I hope everyone else did too.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Yeah, and I'm glad you aren't designing Mario games...

Were you just joking?  Look at the evolution of Bugs Bunny.

http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/BUGSEvolutionHR.jpg

Bugs has literaly come from this
http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/prebugs.jpg

to this http://www.animationartgallery.com/images/CJL/CJLBCO.jpg

I am not suggesting that Nintendo do this http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/loonatics_cp_7144109.jpg

You know that is the kind of thing that Sega looks to be doing with Shadow.  I don't really like the execution.  For example my two redesigns of Mario and Luigi were for after they had consumed mushrooms.  How do you think Bugs Bunny would look if he were to take one of those mushrooms?  http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/articles/marshare.jpg

As far as putting guns or drugs in cartoons.  http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/hare_ribbin_alt.jpg

http://www.premiercatv.com/~bierly/popfair3.jpg

Really nothing could be wrong with bringing back the whole mushroom thing and expanding upon it.  Some mushrooms make you grow, some make you shrink, and some turn you into unspeakable things like Wario.  Alice in Wonderland features a plethora of drugs only matched by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  Alice comes in contact with acid, mushrooms, opium, and any number of other drugs and drug induced hallucinations; and worst of all the whole tale was about pedofilia.  Snow White was raped by the Seven Dwarves in the original story.  The cover of Little Mermaid features penises that I won't be linking to.  The Smurfs lived in shrooms and the show was about the KKK.  Papa Smurf was the Grand Wizard who wore red and Garglemesh was the evil Jew.  There was only one female Smurf and she was blonde, unless you count later seasons that featured a red headed child Smurf who was the only other girl Smurf.  He-Man and the Masters of the Universe as much as I hate to say it is all about Prince Adam's alternative life with Man at Arms that they must hide from Teela.  The only ones who knew "the secret" were a man with a mustache, a prince who ran around in a grass speedo, a purple wizard, and a green tiger they must have gotten from a certain pair of big cat trainers who live in the Nevada area.  Cartoons have always had subliminal things and they always will.  In fact drugs, violence, and sex are what made Bugs Bunny so much more entertaining than Mickey Mouse.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2005, 04:09:56 PM »
"Puff" the Magic Dragon
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2005, 10:10:15 PM »
Sow white got raped? Was that struck in a later edition or what? Because I don't remember the story containing that stuff (note that I never saw the Disney version).
Alice in Wonderland was a freaking dream, in dreams ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING is possible and you won't doubt it. Read the Illuminatus! if you want a tale about substance abuse and LSD in the drinking water. http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/drugs.htm
The smurfs isn't about the KKK because it's a french series. There is no KKK in France, anyone with KKK-like beliefs is a neonazi.
Would you also believe this forum is a bunch of satanists because we "worship" Dr. Faust?

I agree that Mario should have his powerups back but substance abuse? Mario is a f###ing fairy tale. Whether you think it's a portrait of a drug trip is your thing, SMB is a completely abstract game and that's it. Nintendo shouldn't force your beliefs upon anybody. I doubt Miyamoto even thought about mushrooms as a drug.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2005, 10:54:49 PM »
Oh please you're telling me that a guy who stares at the ground all day in his backyard and then up and says "I've got a great game idea about little carrot people!" is staying sober all the time? My guess is Shiggy knows exactly where his wife hides the Saki if you get my drift.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2005, 02:46:11 PM »
What about the secret song in Wario Ware.  When you play a certain song at medium speed it says something along the lines of "I have granted children to hell."

that is f'n freaky if you ask me.  

Edit:  I meant to say something about fairy tales.  Snow White was a gruesome fairy tale a long time before Walt Disney came along and made it family friendly.  Snow White chokes to death on an apple.

Another children's tale that was violent was Hansel and Gretel.  The children are abandoned by their parents in the woods, captured by a cannibal witch, and then they cook her in a stove.    

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2005, 05:30:13 PM »
Also,  if you play "Do the Mario" backwards it talks about little red children who live in your basement who have the ability can teleport to Pittsburgh in the blink of an eye.

Also, I'm not sure why you started talking about Bugs Bunny.  Last time I checked Bugs and Mario weren't even FREINDS.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »
(she didn't choke on the apple, it was poisoned and I don't think you have read Max & Moritz or you'd know that it's much more brutal than Hänsel & Gretel, the two get ground to bits in a mill at the end)

If you didn't make so many follow ups on that subject I'd be sure you are being sarcastic here but actually believing that song crap... Do you also believe the government is controlled by evil lizardmen from the planet Vulcan that hides behind the sun all the time?

Rancid: Methinks you have no idea how the mind of an artist works. Some people are insane enough to be like that without any drugs.

Knows: Shhh! Smash Bros. vs. Loony Tunes (Nintendo's answer to Capcom vs. Marvel/SNK/POTUS) is still a secret!

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »
hahaha.......how'd this get so off-topic

Nemo -- your freaking me out with your crazy knowledge.......even if it's true, STOP IT! PS. In the Lion King...the air spells out "SEX." I think in all Disney movies, there's something in there relating to sex or drugs. In Alladin, he says "Take off your clothes" to the princess.

KDR_11k -- I really think Miyamoto is on drugs or something. Hell, I would be, if all I did was come up with videogame ideas. Rabicle's Pikmin example is almost enough proof to arrest him (haha jk, but it makes you wonder).

As for Mario going all pHysCAdeLLic (spelled wrong for emphasise), I would love it. I think a twist on the Mario tale akin to Alice in Wonderland would be a really un-expected move. I loved Alice in Wonderland....it really is all about drugs. Anyways, I doubt the main public would appreciated though. They'd have to cover up drug references, but not enough to throw you off completely.

Personally, I'd rather just have a title more like SM64, with 2-D elements.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2005, 02:19:18 AM »
... Mushroom Kingdom turns out to be some kind of Matrix...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2005, 03:12:08 AM »
I love how everyone thinks all geniuses are insane and all great artists are on drugs, since no "normal" person could come up with their ideas...Maybe it's just called having an active imagination?