Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 91089 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
What's wrong with it in particularly? I know it sounds artificial, but was the melody alright? How about the rhythm?

Like I said, its my first time using a guitar.

I'll have to give it a more in depth listen, to be honest. I'll try to put on on my ipod tonight and get back to you with a critique over the weekend or early next week, right now I have a weird house situation going on and just can't listen to it there. Anyway, the main thing was that, yes, it did sound artificial but i didn't give it enough of a chance to really listen to the melody or rythm. I'd say for a first attempt its actually good, but i'll have to listen again.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2009, 04:49:20 PM »
Just let me know. I know the guitars aren't perfect. The rhythms, melodies, and so on aren't where I'd like them to end up. Mostly because I plan on using a real band in the final production of this song. However, till then I thought I might as well experiment.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2009, 10:31:19 AM »
So I'm DJing a party this Friday. It's my buddy's birthday, and I'm throwing him a bash. There's suppose to be (according to facebook) over 150 people coming. Should be a good time.

Anyway, I'm going to play some of my beats that I've already posted here in this thread at the party, but I also wrote two new songs just for the occasion. I thought to myself,  "what music would you want to here as soon as you stepped into a dance party?"

That's how I came up with these:

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=q3fxKm
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=q40qiW

I made them both yesterday so somethings such as arrangement and even instrument type aren't finished. I haven't mastered it yet either, so somethings maybe louder or softer than they should be.

Anyway, tell me what you think! My hope is to have a house full of people jumping to it.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot. One of them was influenced by the melody at the beginning of WindWaker (after the title screen). See if you can pick the right one!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:35:08 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
I keep getting error: 132 come up when I try to listen to them. Could just be me though.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
Kashogi your stuff is great!  What are you using to sequence your beats?  It really makes me want to dive back into making that sort of stuff.  I did it differently though, I use a gameboy! Moonpie combo, was made using nanoloop 2.1 and a gameboy advance.  Since then I've sold 2.1 to get a hold of !.3, which is for the original gameboy, and nastier!  If anybody cares to hear more, I've got a bit more.  I used to make a lot, so I've got a backlog!

I also play guitar, so Here's an example!.  Of course I'm only playing rhythm, but it should be noted that I wrote composition.  My friend is a recording technology major, and gets studio time at the university studio.  So it was recorded and mixed in a real studio!  A very fun experience.  He's the one playing bass, and he also sequenced the drums (from a beat I had sequenced on my gameboy).  And a friend from high school is playing the trumpet.

More than anything I'd like to make music for games.  Which is great because my roommate wants to make games!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks. Your stuff sounds good as well.

Do you think people will like the beats? You think they'll dance to them?

I use a program called Reason 4.

And Dasmos, I don't know what's wrong, but it works for me. I am uploading them to Rapidshare as I type this. I'll post the links when they're ready.

EDIT:
http://rapidshare.com/files/213449344/Stanky.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/213449345/club.mp3.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:33:56 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
I like both of them. I think the first leads right into the second perfectly too. I was bobbing my head the whole time to both, so I'm sure you'll get **** poppin with those beats. Especially if you get someone to start freestyling too

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
So I'm DJing a party this Friday. It's my buddy's birthday, and I'm throwing him a bash. There's suppose to be (according to facebook) over 150 people coming. Should be a good time.

Anyway, I'm going to play some of my beats that I've already posted here in this thread at the party, but I also wrote two new songs just for the occasion. I thought to myself,  "what music would you want to here as soon as you stepped into a dance party?"

That's how I came up with these:

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=q3fxKm
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=q40qiW

I made them both yesterday so somethings such as arrangement and even instrument type aren't finished. I haven't mastered it yet either, so somethings maybe louder or softer than they should be.

Anyway, tell me what you think! My hope is to have a house full of people jumping to it.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot. One of them was influenced by the melody at the beginning of WindWaker (after the title screen). See if you can pick the right one!

Club. Whats my prize?

hot tracks as usual. when you get the final mixes up lemme know and i'll put em on my ipod ;)

oh and i like how both songs contain instrumentations that remind me of your other songs; the jam & fresh
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »
Well done. It was Club.

I appreciate the praise. Thank you. But does anybody have any criticisms? As much as I love getting my ego stroked, I do need help. I can only critique my work so much.

And I'll definitely let you know when I have the final mixes up of all my songs.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:59 PM »
Well done. It was Club.

I appreciate the praise. Thank you. But does anybody have any criticisms? As much as I love getting my ego stroked, I do need help. I can only critique my work so much.

And I'll definitely let you know when I have the final mixes up of all my songs.

critiques later, time for bed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »
The only real critique I can give is that both songs have similar sounds, but they don't sound alike, so its not much of a critique.
The songs were playing and right when I was thinking, hey this beat could use a change up right about now, it had already started.

I am only listening to these on a laptop, so I don't have stereo sound with a sub hooked up(not at home) so I can't really comment on the bass line, but overall I really liked both beats. The 1st one I liked better & thought it sounded like something I could picture TI or another good dirrty souf rapper rappin to. The girl whose house I'm at like the second one better & also thought it had more of a southern style to it than the 1st.  But she has nothing critical to say about either of them because she liked both of them too.

wish I could be of more help, but it seems like you already tweaked most of the sounds and the timings(from what I can make out on this laptop) so I won't be able to offer anything further until I can hear it on my system at home.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 02:35:03 AM »
Well I'm glad the timings are set. I tried to set it as best I can. Still, subs are important for my music. I use alot of bass; alot! Any critique on what I consider one of the most essential parts of my songs would be helpful.

Oh and I would suggest getting a little tispy before reacting to the song. This is going to be played to a bunch of drunk people after all. You don't have to plan it that way of course. Even though this is going to played on Friday regardless, I'm always trying to perfect my **** (it might be my curse). So the next time your getting drunk with your peoples, just pop this on and react to it.

I'm not trying to make money with this or anything. It's just a hobby to me, like painting or soccer. I'm always trying to learn from my mistakes.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2009, 02:38:31 AM »
how about

Ghost riders in the Sky (an oft covered song that has enormous crossover appeal)
vs
Knights of Cydonia- Muse
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2009, 03:42:27 AM »
I don't know what you mean....

Do you want me to try and mix those or something?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2009, 04:50:10 AM »
nah, i was just fiddling with my play list and i just thought the songs are similar.

if you mixed them then that would be pretty damned cool.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »
NEW SONG!

I don't know if I'll play it tomorrow considering I made it yesterday. It needs to be cleaned up that's for sure.

But what do you guys think?

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=B8IZmc
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:40:22 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
jesus, stop being so productive, i can't keep up!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »
Haha

I don't need a critique of this one; just a yay or nay.

So....yay or nay?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »
Haha

So....yay or nay?

lol no speakers on my work computer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
I really like the new one too, but I'm still listening on a laptop.
My only critique this time is that it sounds too synthesized. Experiment with a new instrument package. I know those can be expensive, and I know this cause my friend used to make beats with Reason and he had all sorts of Instrument packages (not sure if he paid for them, but he would tell me how much they cost anyway).

Other than that, I really like it and could have honestly mistook it as the beat off of an upcoming new album.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2009, 04:46:01 PM »
Haha

So....yay or nay?

lol no speakers on my work computer

Oh snap! I forgot.

I really like the new one too, but I'm still listening on a laptop.
My only critique this time is that it sounds too synthesized. Experiment with a new instrument package. I know those can be expensive, and I know this cause my friend used to make beats with Reason and he had all sorts of Instrument packages (not sure if he paid for them, but he would tell me how much they cost anyway).

Other than that, I really like it and could have honestly mistook it as the beat off of an upcoming new album.

Ya if your talking about the orchestra and brass sounding too synthesized, there's not much I can do with it until I remake it in the studio. Those are the best samples I'm afraid. :(

Still, I'm glad you like it!

BTW, you are all welcome to download this to your computer/ipod. Just remember who made it! ;)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2009, 12:01:12 AM »
Kashogi i just got around to listening to your songs. I love NewHRB... it does everything i like music to do

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2009, 11:03:27 AM »
Yeah? You liked that one?

The concept for that beat came about 5 years ago and I just remade it. I was using fruityloops back then. Actually it's one of the few songs that actually has lyrics to go with it. Just let me know if I should post that.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
lyrics? oooh yeah!

so what sound packet do you work with, i always wanted to mess around with music, but nothing free seems to work well. I used to use fruity loops, but this was before i really appreciated music. Plus trying to install cracked fruity loops it never seems to work anymore. oh lol and i made a hilarious song once, i just got to get it from my buddy. lol nevermind..should read the whole thread... reason 4
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:23:15 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »
I was listening to your song Stanky, and I decided to rough draft a quick rap to it

not that quick, but it is a rough draft. took me about 30-40 minutes since I kept being distracted by the TV
check your PM its titled Park & Ride or Stop & Go
It doesn't match up with the breakdown of the beat, but if I feel like revising it further than a rough draft, I might make it fit a lil better
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:44:23 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »