Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 91084 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »
Ya, sorry about that Dasmos. I'm a prick when I'm drunk and I don't deal with self-loathing and lack of confidence well.

I won't be offended if you think it is ****, I do.

This erked me, that's all.

I'll listen to it (and yours as well Wiggles) and let you know what I think.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
lol no prob.

i wish i would of recorded my friend and i being drunk and playing guitar hero the other night. We were so fuckedu p and having so much fun. My falsetto must sound hilarious..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »
New Song.

It should sound very familiar.

I hope you enjoy

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=C9BQL7

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
Wow I love it.I liked the beat and the placement of laughs.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »
Thank you. I thought the laughs put it over the top as well.

Is there anything you didn't like about it?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 12:27:26 AM »
Nope. I loved everything.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:48 AM »
LOL ok. Well your welcome to download it and play it on your ipod!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:34 AM »
Alright. I said I'd give you comments and I will. Moreover, I'll also tell you what I liked and what I'd improve.

First, when I heard this start, it brought a smile to my face. Awesome. Listening to it all the way through, I was like Maxi. Very good. The only thing that bugged me was the length and the giggling stopped being funny. Anyways, after listening to it 5 times in a row, I'm definitiely sure on the length. I think this song could be tightened up a bit. I'd also remove a lot of giggling. It started to annoy and then I just stopped hearing it completely. Now I realize this wasn't meant to be listened over and over but I did it to get my bearings and thoughts on the song.

Let's look at a more detailed breakdown and my suggestions of what I would do to change the song to my liking. That's really the key. I'm going to be applying my opinions and tastes to your music and they might not work for everyone since we all have different tastes. That's my disclaimer. You can consider it, but you don't have to take my suggestions. Onwards:

The first 25 seconds are great. You suddenly realize what you are listening to, nostalgia rushes in, there's some laughing to give you more of a smile. My only complaint here might seem petty but there's a reason for it. At 12 seconds, there is a cymbal clash that does nothing. It was jarring the first time I heard, it doesn't quite fit and moreover, when the cymbal clash is used again later in the song, it is often done to introduce or conclude a beat. Here, no beat is added. It is just a cymbal clash on its own.

At 25 seconds a beat starts. I would end the giggling here for awhile. At 48 seconds, some clapping is added to the beat. Then at the 1:00 mark, another beat is added. So, we've spent the last 35 seconds building up to this beat. Then, at the 1:12 mark, the beat slows down and seems to go back to where we are at the 48 second mark. So, we've building up and now we decrease. At the 1:25 mark, we add that missing beat back in. So, we increase again to where we were before at the 1:00 mark. And then at 1:38, the music changes.

The positive - the beat is pretty good and I like the way it works with the song and comes together. The critique - I can't help but feel this part could be tightened up a bit. I'm not sure if the beat should start sooner than the 25 second mark or if the elements come together. What's interesting is that after hearing that cymbol at the 12 second mark, we don't hear it again until the 1:00 mark to introduce the full beat. Again, why I say it is out of place. And do we need to put in the full beat, take it away and then put it back in? Of course, listening to the song and breaking it down, I know why you've done that. All through the song, the adding a beat, taking a beat away is a beat in itself, a rythym to the song. But, I don't think it works. There are times where I just the new sound that has been discovered to last instead of changing it's pacing a little fast, a little slower back and forth.

Listening to the two section, I.E. the music at 1:12 versus 1:25, I like the rythym that starts at 1:25 as a better lead into the change at 1:38, than the slower rythym that starts at 1:12. Of course, this is probably due to the fact that at 1:38, you again take out a beat and thus make the song seem to slow abit compared to 1:12 where that beat is already removed, thus a change in pacing isn't felt as much. Thus, I'd skip the beat removal at 1:12 and just keep the full beat going a little long and then changing it to:

1:38 - The space opera begins. Alright, so maybe it isn't anything opera like but that's the way I like to describe it. For some reason, it brings to my mind more space images than anything. I sort of get a metroid vibe to it. At least that's what it triggered in my brain. Maybe it's all the woo, woo, woo sounds that seem like an old 1950'S U.F.O. sound effect. Anyways, at 1:48, there is an increase in the beat again as the opera seems to be heading to it's high notes and then at the 2:00 mark, it again loses some that beat. But wait, at 2:13 the beat is back.

Again, this just comes back to my point about the yo-yoing of the beat and pace. With the extra beat, it seems to give the impression of the pace speeding up and then with its removal of the pace slowing down. Frankly, the sound is so good, I'd just like to hear it for awhile at a steady pace and hear that music unhurried and pure. This is like the meat of your song right here. The fact that you will repeat at least 2 other times, the same melody, in the song would suggest that. This is what you're beat has been leading up to, this is the emotional high of the song.

And then at 2:24, everything slows down and it is, oh so, excellant. After that uplifting space opera, that bright light of the Great Fairy's glow, everything has dimmed and we realize we are back in the dark cave and take a moment to reflect on the grandour we had just witnessed. Once again a little beat kicks in, this time at 2:37. I'd have left it out along with all the giggles still. The music is good here. It doesn't need a jolt every 12 seconds or so.

At 2:48, it changes up to what I'm going to refer to as synthesizer sound. Again, this sound is good without the effects of the cymbals or giggles or beat change at the 3:00 minute mark. Letting the yearning sound build on us.

At 3:11, the space opera returns. This time, I would suggest having all the beats going at once throughout it's whole part until the 3:36 mark instead os waiting until the 3:25 mark when the last beat is added in again to the song. Going by my compostition, we've heard the opera once before and we heard it with less of a beat. We've now gone through a period of relative slowness. A sort of pondering in the music. Instead of keeping that going, let's up the tempo a bit and make the opera a bit different from before by having all the beats going for this middle part.

At now at 3:36, we seem to have come full circle and are back at the start. Here's where we can add the giggling again if we so need it. We've forgotten about the other little fairies around us having been so entranced by the Great Fairy's beauty that we are reminded again of what brought us here and realize the journey we have just taken. But wait, the song isn't done yet. It's got a whole minute still. Consisting of what?

At the 4:00 mark, the synthesizer sound we heard at the 2:48 mark is back. Let's listen to that again. At 4:24, the great fairy opera is back with a slight beat change at 4:48 and then at 5:12 a sudden end as the song seems to be shot up to the heavens. Maybe Link is floating up from the cave ala Wind Waker.

What to do about the ending? Another reason why the song seems a bit longer than it should be. Part of the problem is it just seems to be looping now. We've gone back to the start which seems to signal a full journey as I said before but instead of it ending, we re-visit parts without adding anything new. As well,thesong just suddenly ends. I was expecting the notes to slow down.

My thoughts? Well, I'd cut out the Synth. Sure, it's good but we've heard it before and by only leaving it at one place in the song, it makes that moment special everytime the song is played, just like the part from 2:24 - 2:48. We could kick in the space opera again but do so at full beat and then slowly remove all the three different beats, again signifying to the listener's brain, this is wrapping up. With your last notes, you'd want to hold them longer such as going from quarter notes to half notes to the final note or two being whole notes. With that last note or so, you may still want to include that upswooshing sound at the end or even *gasp* a giggle. One final fairy laughing at the joy your visit has brought. And since there has been such restraint on the amount of giggling in the song, this one last giggle will not sound repetative.

Thus the story. You have arrived in the fountain. It is dark, it is peaceful, you hear laughter. You begin to awaken and look around in awe and began to see the various fairies and the white marble pool. Suddenly, the great fairy appears in all her splender and you take in this beauty. But the Great Fairy disappears, once more you are in a dark cave. You take in what you have just witnessed. You want to see the Great Fairy again. You need her magic for your quest. So, you walk forcefully to her throne. She appears again. Now with the beat, you accomplish your mission and get her blessing. Oh, it's still magical but now you are not muted and starstruck as when she first appeared. With her magic, you turn now and leave the cave, the sights and sounds of the cave filling your head as you head back to where you entered. You turn, once more, gaze at the Great Fairy and as you exit the cave, the image of the Great Fairy slowly exits from your mind as well. Was the whole thing just a dream?

Anyways, that's just the way I see it. Hope it helps.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 03:44:23 AM »
Good GOD! I wasn't expecting anything so.......thorough.

I really appreciate the time you put into the critique. I have a lot to think about; for instance, should I write the song as if it were a song or a story. I like your story idea and I think I'll shape it around that. Also, I can see how the giggles can get annoying. They come in every 15 seconds or so.

And a couple more things. For one, the woo woo sound is called 70's scifi, you were right on the money with that noise. I thought it transcended the song and that's why I added it. And yes, the cymbal is out of place.

This is exactly what I needed. When I make a song, I write all the parts in one bar then space them out accordingly and thus making the arrangement of the song. I don't put much thought on the arrangement, as much as I should, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Hmmm...I'm going to take your critique to heart and republish it. Once I do, you'll be the first to know.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
Well I took your advice and changed up pretty much everything.

You'll notice that once the space opera kicks in, after a bar, I slow down the beat and drop it. That is because I feel it puts more emphasis on the main melody when it comes back (the arpeggiated melody). But just like you said, the chill part of the song requires no giggle or overused cymbals so I threw those out. I still put in the shaker right before the second space opera just to give some sort of build up.

As for the end, again I took your advice and I think it sounds fantastic; almost uplifting, as if you were cured of all your ailments. The orchestra sounds particularly strong. I also echoed the hell out of the laughter at the end to simulate a cave. I think it worked pretty well.

Overall, I feel that the song is much tighter and doesn't overplay itself.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »
I forgot to add a link above!  Oh well, I ended up changing the song again. This time I added bass. I also let the beat run through then drop rather than slowing it down first.

Here it is again: Fountain v. 2 with bass

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=CWOR73

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »
Alright. I just a chance to listen to it. Unlike last time, I'm not going to overanalyze things to much. Just state some quick thoughts.

First of, I do like this version also. Like you said, it doesn't feel to repetative now and it does feel tighter. Listening to it, I was thinking to myself that it feels faster yet watching the time, I see not much has changed as to when the different elements to the song get added. In that respect, the song is polished more than before.

I notice you didn't go with my suggestion of playing the first "space" melody without the beat and the second reprisal with the beat. And that's fine. I don't want my opinions to stifle your creativity. Moreover, I don't really mind the beat. Again, it helps keep the song feel like it is moving along at a fast clip. I also like how at one part in the "space" melody, it slows down and you pause the beat for a couple seconds. Once that slow part is done and the melody increases again, you kick the beat in again also. That's a great touch.

There are less sound effects and even though the laughter still shows up throughout, it's not as distracting as before and not as frequent which helps. I was surprised you ended it as you did since I mentioned you may want to play the space opera one final time and end with that slowly but I think this works better. I do like the song ending that ending, so that was great also. While you probably could have waited a measure or two before you slowed it down, I'm not going to get in to whether it was too soon or not. Just my thought.

Again, I liked this overall much more than the first arrangement and even though it's only about 40 seconds less than the first song or so, it doesn't drag which is a good thing for any song. And I really want to bring out the difference in not having that cymbal clash at the 0:12 mark. After listening to this version, I went back and listened to the first version and if there's one change I'm proud of making, it's that one. I don't but not having that one sound enhances the opening.

Anyways, glad I was able to aid you a bit. If you do want more of my bloated paragraph posts in the future, just ask. I will outdo Ian. Just you wait. (I kid, I don't find Ian wordy.) But at this point, I think it may be best for another person to give a critique now and get another outside voice on the song. Out of curiousity, I'd be interested what Maxi has to say about the two versions since he liked the first.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:23 AM »
Haven't had a chance to check the second one.I'll check it now.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
I notice you didn't go with my suggestion of playing the first "space" melody without the beat and the second reprisal with the beat. And that's fine. I don't want my opinions to stifle your creativity.

I tried it your way, but it was way too disorientating. It sounded better to just let the beat continue.

I do like the song ending that ending, so that was great also. While you probably could have waited a measure or two before you slowed it down, I'm not going to get in to whether it was too soon or not. Just my thought.

I'm not sure what your first sentence is saying. I've never slowed down a song manually before and I actually would love your opinion about when to slow it down. I think it sounds pretty good right now, but I still feel somethings off.

Also, you didn't comment on the bass. The bass isn't playing anything special, just the bottom notes of the rhythm section. The bass has two parts; one that's short and light while the other is long and heavy. I find the contrast between the two add much needed emphasis, while keeping the song from sounding overly repetitive.

Anyways, glad I was able to aid you a bit. If you do want more of my bloated paragraph posts in the future, just ask.

I may have to take you up on that. Your quite good at this critiquing business. I mean the two songs are night and day. I have plenty of other songs that could use your wisdom.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:34:29 AM by Stogi »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 12:44:38 AM »
OK I listened to the second song and here are my impressions.
The laughing has been lessened alot.I personally would have added a few more.When I heard the first song after about 10 seconds I recognized the song and I put my mind in that setting and The laughing fit there.So I'm a little sad that it got shortened. Near the end of the song I liked.So I liked the song but wished there was more laughing.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »
I could add a couple more. And I think I no where.......

Right now there are 5, can you spot them all?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:40:49 AM by Stogi »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »
Whoops-a-daisy. What I meant to say was I like it ending that way not ending that ending.

As for the bass, I didn't comment on it since I didn't really notice it too much. That's not a bad thing since it means it isn't a distraction but I need to pay attention to the song more. Like I said, I did a listen to that and went back to the old song to double check. In a couple days, I can probably add more to my comments if you want. Such as where I would suggest slowing the ending of the song.

But right now, I've got other things on the go and I still may be alive in mafia which will also take up a bit of time.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2009, 02:42:31 AM »
Take your time. I already appreciate greatly all that you've done already.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »
I liked it. i dont have time to over analyze everything though. Submit it to OCR
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
I just wen to the site and OCR's process is a pain in the ass. Have you seen the criteria they laid out? I like the idea but damn, I really don't care that much. I posted it on youtube anyway since that was where I first had this idea to make this song.

Maybe someday....

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
I just wen to the site and OCR's process is a pain in the ass. Have you seen the criteria they laid out? I like the idea but damn, I really don't care that much. I posted it on youtube anyway since that was where I first had this idea to make this song.

Maybe someday....

No i've never bothered lookiing since i have no means of composing/recording anything to submit.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »
NEW SONG! WHOOO

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=MNiAKi

It's nothing like my old songs. This is the first time I ever used a guitar. I'm still trying to figure it out and piece it together. As always, an criticisms would be appreciated.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
Oh I just wanted to add that this was done on my laptop and not in studio. Thanks.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
i was feeling it until the guitar came in... lol

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »
What's wrong with it in particularly? I know it sounds artificial, but was the melody alright? How about the rhythm?

Like I said, its my first time using a guitar.