Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 243467 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #525 on: October 19, 2011, 02:13:06 AM »
Has anyone used the website to see if a game was in stock at a store, and then it wasn't there when you went there? I know the website isn't guaranteed to be accurate and it also says to call the store to confirm, but I'm just curious how accurate it is.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:13 AM »
I haven't had that problem with games, although I haven't used it for games much.

I have, however, checked for GCN Component Cables or the GCN Broadband Adapter, just to get there and find out they have A.) "Universal" Component Cables that don't output component with the GCN, B.) Regular GCN A/V Cables, mislabeled or C.) The modem adapter, mislabeled. 
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:34 AM »
Has anyone used the website to see if a game was in stock at a store, and then it wasn't there when you went there? I know the website isn't guaranteed to be accurate and it also says to call the store to confirm, but I'm just curious how accurate it is.

Yep, that's happened to me several times.  Apparently, their website only updates once a day, and some used items will be listed as "in stock" when they can't be sold yet because they were traded in for cash (so there's a waiting period before they are allowed to sell them).  It's incredibly annoying when that happens.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 19, 2011, 02:30:02 AM »
I have, however, checked for GCN Component Cables or the GCN Broadband Adapter, just to get there and find out they have A.) "Universal" Component Cables that don't output component with the GCN, B.) Regular GCN A/V Cables, mislabeled or C.) The modem adapter, mislabeled. 
I don't even see the option to check for those. It's too bad too because they have cheap prices on some accessories I'm still hoping to find, like the GBA > GCN link cable.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 19, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I don't even see the option to check for those. It's too bad too because they have cheap prices on some accessories I'm still hoping to find, like the GBA > GCN link cable.

http://www.ebgames.com/gc/accessories/gamecube-broadband-adapter/22490

http://www.ebgames.com/accessories/gamecube-n64-component-cable-used/32149
(Ignore the "/N64" part on that second one.)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »
I may be one of the only forums members who  bought the Broadband adapter when it was brand spanking new.  I expected big things...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 19, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
I may be one of the only forums members who  bought the Broadband adapter when it was brand spanking new.  I expected big things...

I wanted it when it came out... but I was waiting for a game that used it and that one of my few friends who owned a GameCube wanted to get too.

Now, I have five and I'm set. ;)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #532 on: October 19, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
I bought the broadband adapter hoping if enough people bought it someone would take notice and actually make something for it. Vudu didn't like that idea. And it was so successful I bought 4 headbanger headsets because I know future Wii games will use it.

What a waste of money... I'll never learn.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 19, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
You can still get good use out of the broadband adapter if you run Linux on your Gamecube. With Linux and the broadband adapter there are tons of things you can do.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 19, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
Don't blame the employees? Sounds like a Nuremberg Defense to me. No one is forcing them to be jerks, irregardless of company policy. They can quit at any time. Of course, being a tool is easier than taking on some personal accountability, right?

I'm assuming you have a nice, steady job in this economy. Many Americans don't. You expect someone to just walk away from a job because the company wants a fucking employee to say a few lines to their customers?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 19, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »
I do expect that. Self respect is worth more than all the money in the world. Capitalism would lead you to believe otherwise, but it's simply not true.

I work for myself. I'm not a high-school dropout that thinks he has to work low level retail jobs in an attempt to feed my impulses.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 19, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
Self Respect and Self Esteem in your Puppy will stop them from Peeing on you when you come home.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
You can't feed yourself or pay the rent with self-respect.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 20, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
Nor can you feed yourself with credit cards. Only food will do. There is no reason to be a wage slave other than the desire for trinkets.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 20, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »
Nor can you feed yourself with credit cards. Only food will do. There is no reason to be a wage slave other than the desire for trinkets.
What I heard was Morari will feed my Family, Pay my Electric, and my Mortgage.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 20, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »
I do expect that. Self respect is worth more than all the money in the world. Capitalism would lead you to believe otherwise, but it's simply not true.

I work for myself. I'm not a high-school dropout that thinks he has to work low level retail jobs in an attempt to feed my impulses.

Did you just call me a high school dropout?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
Don't blame the employees  for pushing games, exclusive content, strategy guides, etc. on you guys. Trust me, they hate saying it just as much as you hate hearing it. If I could I would either never say any of that or at least tell them I have to say it.

Plus, they get a bonus if you do the survey and you say that they pushed that crap on you.

I don't recall specifically blaming the employees for having to do those things, I just stated the fact they do these things makes shopping at their stores an unbearably frustrating experience. 

The thread is titled "So nobody likes Gamestop?", not "So nobody likes Gamestop employees?".

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 20, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
http://www.ebgames.com/gc/accessories/gamecube-broadband-adapter/22490

http://www.ebgames.com/accessories/gamecube-n64-component-cable-used/32149
(Ignore the "/N64" part on that second one.)
Oh wait, I found it. I thought the option was available only for products listed with the "Pick up at store" link. Sadly, both of them say "No stores with inventory within 100 mile radius." I checked for the GBA > GCN link cable too and the closest one is 87 miles away. I guess I won't be scoring any cheap GameCube accessories. There are a lot of GameCube Players around for $10 though, I thought that thing sold for higher than that so I may get one of those to have as a spare.

I would have bought one if a game were made for it that I wanted. I remember reading about the Phantasy Star online game in Nintendo Power, but I liked the concept more than the actual game so I never bothered.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 21, 2011, 10:01:40 AM »
Phantasy Star Online is very much the precursor to Monster Hunter Spiritually.  I loved PSO and was terribly sad when my Wife lost my copy.  I hope they make a truly new one, Episode 2 was really just a reskinning of Episode 1.

Ironically the only reason I bought PSO was it was the only game to use the Broadband adapter.  Miss opportunity Nintendo.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 21, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
They are making a Phantasy Star Online 2, but it's PC exclusive for some reason.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 21, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
They are making a Phantasy Star Online 2, but it's PC exclusive for some reason.
Seriously...  Blah how are you even going to do the weapon timings.  That be like Kingdom Hearts 2 being PC exclusive... *grumble*

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 21, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
The combat and general weapons timing worked just fine in the original PSO, regardless of platform. Still, there was something to be said about hooking up the Dreamcast and playing it silky smooth through that v.92 modem. :)

You guys can keep Kingdom Hearts. Blah. :P

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 01, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
Don't blame the employees? Sounds like a Nuremberg Defense to me. No one is forcing them to be jerks, irregardless of company policy. They can quit at any time. Of course, being a tool is easier than taking on some personal accountability, right?

I'm assuming you have a nice, steady job in this economy. Many Americans don't. You expect someone to just walk away from a job because the company wants a fucking employee to say a few lines to their customers?

You can not be a jerk and follow company policy. I've dealt with a number of GS employees that push pre-orders and such but are polite about it. Just ask once nicely at check out and if the customer says no thanks then they drop it.

It's the same with any low-level job. You could be a jerk at McDonalds asking if they want fries with that or they can just say their spiel and move on.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 14, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong