Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 244394 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #500 on: August 25, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 25, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »
This thread is always great for making me feel good about buying almost all my games on Amazon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
My main beef with the whole thing is they consider the opened games as "new". If they want to open all the games up and alter or remove stuff I wouldn't like it, but I'd have less of an issue with it if the games were then treated as used and sold at some sort of a discount. If they take something away you are getting a lesser product so you should get a discount.

Grocery stores sell damaged goods at a discount, right? So I don't see why Gamestop shouldn't either. Without the factory sealed shrinkwrap on it its a lesser product. And its also a lesser product when they throw things like manuals and cases away too.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 25, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
Oh a lawyer said it is probably legal, nevermind. Case closed.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #504 on: August 26, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
Looks like GameStop has decided to just not sell the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at all: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gamestop-now-sending-deus-ex-pc-copies-back-to-square-enix/

They will honor any returns of the game from consumers.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 26, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
They barely stock PC games as is.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 26, 2011, 02:05:23 PM »
They barely stock PC games as is.
Yeah, its easier to find a PC game at Wally world or Target then Gamestop.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 26, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
Looks like GameStop has decided to just not sell the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at all: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gamestop-now-sending-deus-ex-pc-copies-back-to-square-enix/

They will honor any returns of the game from consumers.

That is what they should have done from the beginning instead of tampering with the product and then lying and saying it was still new.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #508 on: August 26, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
Legally it is still considered new.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 26, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Gamestop is now offering a $50 GS Gift Card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free Offer on Pre-owned games to those that bought Deus Ex Human Revolution on PC.

I now return you to your "EVIL CORPORATE ENTITY IS EVIL!" argument.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:08:04 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
I stopped in there today to see the used PSP prices.  They were $10 more expensive then the local shop but they had Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for $12 bucks but, man was the sales person pushing.  He like you like portables you should try the 3DS it just had a price drop.  I pull out my 3DS from the TARDIS Pockets.  Oh I see you have one.  Must have paid more for it.  Do you have a Wii?  Kirby is coming out and Skyward sword.  I mention I thought Kirby looked to similar to New Super Mario Wii for my taste and I probably be getting Skyward Sword.  We then went are separate ways.  I don't think there on commission but they might have certain goals now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 26, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
Gamestop is now offering a $50 GS Gift Card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free Offer on Pre-owned games to those that bought Deus Ex Human Revolution on PC.

I now return you to your "EVIL CORPORATE ENTITY IS EVIL!" argument.

Would said evil corporate entity have considered doing anything like this if their internal e-mail hadn't been secretly leaked to the internet and the civilized world united in disagreement with them?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 26, 2011, 04:34:06 PM »
Legally it is still considered new.

A judge would have to weigh in on that first. As far as I know that hasn't happened.

Also many people and organizations/entities do not consider opened items to be "New". Being legal isn't the only thing that matters. It would be in Gamestop's best interest not to piss people off and drive them away by doing shitty things even if those shitty things manage to stay on the edge of legality.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 26, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »

Awfully nice of them to use this opportunity to make even more money off of you...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
Yeah, the jerks should really have just let themselves go bankrupt with honor, like a man.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2011, 02:36:33 AM »
While I recognize that one GameStop employee doesn't represent the entire company, I got a kick out of this.

After spending too much money at Toys R Us, I stopped by GameStop to see if they had an exclusive Skylanders figure (they didn't).  The guy asked if I had the game yet and I replied that I did - he asked where I bought it...  I said - quietly, as there were several customers around and I really didn't want to look like I was trying to drive their business away - "Toys R Us, because they have the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale going on."
He replied with "Yeah, they're dong that because they're getting out of the games business."

Wha...?

Toys R Us does this sale every year (sometimes twice a year).  It's nothing new.

Douche.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
They regularly do Buy 1 get 1 half off.  Which in my case would be the better deal.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #518 on: October 18, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
I haven't had any terrible experiences with GameStop. I know what I'm looking for, go in, look for it, buy it, and then get out as fast as I can. I guess that's when the horror stories start flooding my mind.

When I bought Picross 3D a few months back, the cashier actually told me she thought it was good and that she put a good amount of time into it. Then about a month back, some woman was confused about the 3DS (thinking it was discontinued), and the clerk explained that it was just a price drop. Cleared things up there.

But yeah, taking 5 dollars of a "used" new game is probably not very nice.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 18, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »
Biggest Problem:

Trying to sell me an opened game at new prices: I went in to buy a game, and I brought the "new" copy of the game from the shelf and handed it to the employee there.  There was an actual new unopened case with the wrapping still on it, and then an opened case with some damage to the case & instruction booklet.  The employee then proceeded to take out the opened copy and try to ring me out as a customer buying new.  When I pointed this out and asked for the ACTUAL new copy, they then stated they could sell this used copy as new.  I just found that insulting.

Other Gripes:
-Gamestop exclusive pre-order content
-Employees that try to pressure you into pre-ordering games coming out, paying for whatever VIP pass program they have, etc.

I would probably only consider purchasing from Gamestop through their website at this point if there was a used game I could find for a reasonable price.  I don't understand pre-ordering games from them when any big-box retailer is going to have tons of copies (other than getting those pre-order bonuses).  I honestly can say that my most uncomfortable retail experiences have all been from Gamestop, which is sad, because I remember enjoying going to Electronics Boutique back when they were called that.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 18, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
Because EB and Gamestop were competitors.  Gamestop was always the worse of the two.  I always like EB and Babbages for that matter.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
Don't blame the employees  for pushing games, exclusive content, strategy guides, etc. on you guys. Trust me, they hate saying it just as much as you hate hearing it. If I could I would either never say any of that or at least tell them I have to say it.

Plus, they get a bonus if you do the survey and you say that they pushed that crap on you.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 19, 2011, 12:16:25 AM »
Don't blame the employees? Sounds like a Nuremberg Defense to me. No one is forcing them to be jerks, irregardless of company policy. They can quit at any time. Of course, being a tool is easier than taking on some personal accountability, right?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 19, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »
Keeping a job is tough in this market right now.

They want to keep getting a paycheck, then they need to follow company policy regardless of how annoying the rest of us find it.

Of course they do have a choice of whether or not to work there.... but in this economy, do they really?
If not them, it will be someone else. So they can either do it or be replaced by someone that will.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 19, 2011, 01:23:06 AM »
Consumers are just as much to blame for Gamestop's practices as the employees who do them, because consumers are suckers who fall for it time and time again. If you get taken advantage of Gamestop once, then shame on Gamestop, but if you go there time and time again and keep getting taken advantage of then shame on you. You are the reason why they continue to stay in business and continue to drive all the more friendly "ma and pop" stores into oblivion.
is your sanity...