Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 245315 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #475 on: August 24, 2011, 11:46:21 PM »
Maybe I like working for a evil corporation.
Welcome to my world.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »
No, I have complained about other stuff they have done. But for the most part I have had good experiences with them, and some of the stuff people complain about are are issues with specific employees, not the company as a whole (but they act like it's the entire company).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 25, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
Employees represent a company for the average consumer. GemeStop's corporate culture encourages a lot of the employee behavior that many find so abhorrent.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2011, 12:10:18 AM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:15:34 AM by Oblivion »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:08 AM »
And people seem to like attacking a company that becomes really successful.

I remember when the Clinton administration went after Microsoft for anti-trust violations and people used that same argument. But the problem wasn't that Microsoft was successful, it was that it was anti-competitive and literally brought about the deaths of companies like Netscape because of anti-competitive and monopolistic practices. Now Gamestop's actions are similar. They are being anti-competitive by removing those vouchers for a competitor's service.

Nintendo has been successful. Have you ever seen anyone on here attack Nintendo just for being successful? I sure haven't. I've seen criticism for things Nintendo has done, but just them being successful? No. No one care if Gamestop is successful. We just don't want them to leverage their huge market share to crush competition and snuff them out the way Microsoft did with Netscape or BeOS or whatever back in the day. That's why Anti-trust laws exist, but unfortunately they are seldom enforced and even though Microsoft was found guilty by the courts, the Bush administration saved them by abandoning the whole thing.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 25, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »
Okay, off politics and back on games... I just read that this game is a frickin' SteamWorks game?

Who here knows what that means?

It means the game comes with a code.... to download the software... from Steam... without the need of the physical disc at all.

Anyone care to explain how this is any different than the included OnLive code that GameStop removed?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:58 AM »
If GameStop were to remove the CD key the game wouldn't work at all. And if they were to drop all Steamworks games from their stores they'd miss out on major titles like Call of Duty. It's a matter of who's big enough to blackmail who.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 25, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
If GameStop were to remove the CD key the game wouldn't work at all. And if they were to drop all Steamworks games from their stores they'd miss out on major titles like Call of Duty. It's a matter of who's big enough to blackmail who.

...but I thought it was about not promoting a competitor...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 25, 2011, 02:21:01 AM »

I'm big enough. I want this thread to produce some customer revenge ideas worthy of the Funhouse.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
Here's how to get revenge on your customers: laugh and call them names when they trade in dumb games like Barbie's Horse Adventure.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 25, 2011, 02:34:43 AM »

I'm big enough. I want this thread to produce some customer revenge ideas worthy of the Funhouse.

This injustice can only be evened one way.  Everyone should repeatedly call their local GameStop(s) and ask for Battletoads.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
Here's how to get revenge on your customers: laugh and call them names when they trade in dumb games like Barbie's Horse Adventure.

You say that like trading that **** in is the wrong thing to do. Laugh at them when they trade games in that would sell for like 5x as much on eBay.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
Of course. It's just hilarious that now the Online Pass is the publishers trying to nickel and dime their customers, when in fact, if you buy a used game at GameStop, then you are NOT that publisher/developer's customer, only GameStop's. It's also exactly why the online pass exists to begin with, the companies that started the whole thing said it's because they don't make any money on used game sales. So, the people making the game are wrong for wanting to be paid by people who our buy their product, but GameStop is right for doing stupid things like removing coupons from games that you buy. All of this is clearly based on a single bad experience with a bad employee.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
People who buy used are just as bad as those dirty software pirates. No... even worse! Generally no one profits off of piracy. With used games however, places like GameStop profit directly off of the work of another, while completely cutting the developers out of the loop. Software developers are starving while GameStop fat cats buy gold plated Hummers!

:rolleyes:

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
Honestly, I can shop where I want to shop. I've bought games from other places, like Amazon and etc, but I mainly go to Gamestop because I don't want to go through the hassle of selling my games online. Maybe in a couple years.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #490 on: August 25, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
People who buy used are just as bad as those dirty software pirates. No... even worse!

What? That is just plain wrong (hope you were just being sarcastic, but I have heard people really think that). I agree with Cliffy B's view on this, he says he has no problem with people buying used games or renting them. For one, it means somebody bought the new copy of the game before (unlike pirated games). Two, many people who buy used games DO buy DLC (I bought a piece of DLC for the used copy of Crackdown I bought, for example), doesn't happen with pirated games. There is also the fact that is is legal to buy any product used (and I don't see you complaining about people buying used books, cars, DVDs, clothes, etc.), while piracy is illegal.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 25, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
I don't see you complaining about people buying used books, cars, DVDs, clothes, etc.

It never came up before, but now that you mention it...

The literary industry has suffered heavily from small, used book stores. I'm glad that places like Amazon are putting the hurt to them and forcing them to shut down. Of course Amazon offers used books as well, but that'll be gone once the competition is dead. Thankfully DRM-riddled ebooks and locked down digital readers will make sure that no one is ever able to sell a used book again.

DVDs? No different than games. Hollywood usually looses a ton of money on every film they make. Buying flicks second hand is only putting people like Michael Bay further in debt. If you truly appreciate the artistis vision of such directors, then you'll make a real purchase and support them. Being cheap only benefits you, and is absolutely killing the industry. Lucky for us that Blu-Ray players have made great strides in keeping you locked into your store-bought media.

Cars, are you serious? You support the sale of used cars?! This is exactly why the auto industry has seen such hard times in the last several years. They had to be bailed out because people like you refuse to go into debt for years to have a nice, shiny new car! It ought to be illegal to own a vehicle more than five years old. You disgust me with this anti-Anerican behavior. If you don't support the corporations, who will?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:17:35 AM by Morari »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 25, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
All this subtle (or not-so-subtle) sarcasm is giving me a headache.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 25, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
Actually every time we have the used item discussion books come up eventually.  Cars are new though.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #494 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »
Square Enix admits that they put the code in without clearing it with GameStop and that they are OK with GameStop removing the code: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/square-enix-respects-gamestops-decision-to-remove-onlive-codes-from-deus-ex/

An attorney who writes about video games says it is probably legal what GameStop did: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gamestop-removal-of-onlive-deus-ex-codes-probably-legal-says-attorney/

His reasons being 1)The promo code is not advertised on the box (so they are not deceiving anyone by selling it without the code). 2)Opening the box does NOT change the status of the game from new to used. 3)They are no removing any essential part of the game, and compares it to remove the Nintendo Power promo from games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »

You say that like trading that **** in is the wrong thing to do. Laugh at them when they trade games in that would sell for like 5x as much on eBay.

Laugh at them no matter what game they trade in, because no matter what it is they are getting ripped off.
is your sanity...

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 25, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
It ought to be illegal to own a vehicle more than five years old. You disgust me with this anti-Anerican behavior. If you don't support the corporations, who will?

I'm picturing an update Logan's Run type movie here. A rogue repo-agent goes on the run with his great-grandfather's prized 1974 Duster. Directed by Michael Bay, of course.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 25, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
It ought to be illegal to own a vehicle more than five years old. You disgust me with this anti-Anerican behavior. If you don't support the corporations, who will?

I'm picturing an update Logan's Run type movie here. A rogue repo-agent goes on the run with his great-grandfather's prized 1974 Duster. Directed by Michael Bay, of course.
If you have all those old cars to destroy anyway, Might as well  blow them up.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 25, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »

If you have all those old cars to destroy anyway, Might as well  blow them up.

Amen, Brother!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 25, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
Honestly, I can shop where I want to shop.

Liar.

On topic, I know full well that Gamestop's corporate policy is repugnant, but with few exceptions all the employees I've met have always been nice and usually helpful too. I don't mind shopping there. But stuff like this does make me loathe the place.