Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 411621 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #625 on: January 21, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »
I don't mind the PlayStation button layout, but I do have an issue switching back and forth between the different ABXY layouts for Nintendo and Microsoft.

Besides the N64 controller (which doesn't have XY buttons anyway), which of Nintendos controllers had a different layout for ABXY?

The GameCube had the A button at the bottom/middle, B on the left, Y on top and X on the right.

SNES/DS/3DS/Classic Controller/Wii U have the B at the bottom, Y on the left, X on top, and A on the right.

Microsoft puts A at the botton, X on the left, Y on top and B to the right.

Usually I adjust fairly quickly, but for something like Madden or FIFA where I play on both 360 and Wii U it can be annoying.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
I don't mind the PlayStation button layout, but I do have an issue switching back and forth between the different ABXY layouts for Nintendo and Microsoft.

Besides the N64 controller (which doesn't have XY buttons anyway), which of Nintendos controllers had a different layout for ABXY?

The GameCube had the A button at the bottom/middle, B on the left, Y on top and X on the right.

SNES/DS/3DS/Classic Controller/Wii U have the B at the bottom, Y on the left, X on top, and A on the right.

Microsoft puts A at the botton, X on the left, Y on top and B to the right.

Usually I adjust fairly quickly, but for something like Madden or FIFA where I play on both 360 and Wii U it can be annoying.

I forgot about the Gamecube, its so comfortable though that you don't really think twice about it :D So yeah, the one time that they deviate from tradition where it actually works better ;)

Honestly though, B was still to the left of A,as Y was to X, so besides that odd little shift, it wasn't THAT big of a change. When playing Mega Man X collections for example, you can adjust the controls in MMX so I would always have A as jump, Y as my Buster, and X as dash and ta-da! I'm playing the game exactly how I would on the SNES anyway.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled/

LIVERPOOL SOC

Custom implementation of AMD Fusion APU Arquitecture (Accelerated Processing Unit)
Provides good performance with low power consumtion
Integrated CPU and GPU
Considerably bigger and more powerful than AMD’s other APUs

PU:

Orbis contains eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two “clusters”
Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache
256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU
SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
One hardware thread per core
Decodes, executes and retires at up to two intructions/cycle
Out of order execution
Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)
Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance
102.4 GFlops for system

GPU:

GPU is based on AMD’s “R10XX” (Southern Islands) architecture
DirectX 11.1+ feature set
Liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture
18 Compute Units (CUs)
Hardware balanced at 14 CUs
Shared 512 KB of read/write L2 cache
800 Mhz
1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
Dual shader engines
18 texture units
8 Render backends

Memory:

4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
3.5 available to games (estimate)

Storage:

- High speed Blu-ray drive

single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs
Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)
Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)
Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x

- Internal mass storage

One SKU at launch: 500 GB HDD
There may also be a Flash drive SKU in the future

Networking:

1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, and Bluetooth

Peripherals:

Evolved Dualshock controller
Dual Camera
Move controller

Extra:

Audio Processor (ACP)
Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
Zlib Decompression Hardware

How it compares to their Durango leak

CPU:

- x64 Architecture

- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)

- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache

- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache

- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

- Hard drive is always present

- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet

- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:

- Move engines

- Image, video, and audio codecs

- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware

- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
@shingi, that's all gobbledegook to a layperson like me.

Can someone summarize how this compares to Wii U? Just curious.

Also, does it sound like it will be expensive?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 28, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
It'll be at least $400.  These specs are similar in some respects to the Wii U. However, the Wii U has a 3 core chip whereas this is believed to have 8 cores (not a huge deal but noteable).  Though both systems run at 1.6Ghz.  The GPUs are 1 generation apart (Wii U has equivalent of a Radeon HD7750, PS4 has a Radeon HD 8750 or 8770).  Honestly, the biggest difference and the one that will have people complaining will probably be the ram.  Wii U has 2GB and the PS4 is believed to have 4GB of GDDR5 RAM, which is the fastest available. 

Right now, specs mean nothing because final specs are not known and nobody has shown games on anything but the Wii U at this point.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 28, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
It'll be at least $400.  These specs are similar in some respects to the Wii U. However, the Wii U has a 3 core chip whereas this is believed to have 8 cores (not a huge deal but noteable).  Though both systems run at 1.6Ghz.  The GPUs are 1 generation apart (Wii U has equivalent of a Radeon HD7750, PS4 has a Radeon HD 8750 or 8770).  Honestly, the biggest difference and the one that will have people complaining will probably be the ram.  Wii U has 2GB and the PS4 is believed to have 4GB of GDDR5 RAM, which is the fastest available. 

Right now, specs mean nothing because final specs are not known and nobody has shown games on anything but the Wii U at this point.
Thanks for the quick and efficient service!

Forums: they deliver.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Good to know glad Fatty asked and Louie knew some things. I'm really interested in these updated dual shock and move controllers.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 28, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »

I thought it was the 4700 and not the 7750 oh well.  Another item to tick the cost up on my PC equivalent to the Wii U build.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #633 on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
The Wii U's GPU is based on the Radeon HD 5000 series.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
The Wii U's GPU is based on the Radeon HD 5000 series.
I had heard differently.  The word is that was the original one in the dev kit but the final specs have something closer to the 7750.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #635 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »
Ah, maybe. All I could find with quick search was the 5000 (I wasn't gonna spend a long time looking).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 31, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
I look forward to a possible PlayStation 4 reveal on February 20th, if only to finally have something visual to attach to all those otherwise-meaningless "leaked" stats.  Plus, it would probably force Microsoft to actually unveil their next system, and we can finally properly get this next generation rolling.  I could easily go another year without a PS4 or whatnot, but I'll take a real reveal over month after month of "rumors" and "leaks" about these consoles.  I'm so sick of that already.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:01:53 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 31, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »
Insert Ron Paul gif here.

Really excited what is going to be shown. Any word on a live stream.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #639 on: January 31, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
Insert Ron Paul gif here.

What does a nutjob former Congressman have to do with this?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 31, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »

Tidbits of the upcoming PS4

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will,when pressed,launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware. Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much morePC-likein itsmakeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.

Looking forward to next month. I think the 8GB is bullshit on sonys part.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
The only way they go with 8GBs is if they change the RAM to slower, cheaper DDR3 RAM.  I think they should stick with the GDDR5 RAM.  It just makes too much sense and 8GBs is overkill.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
Touchpad sounds cool. I could care less about video sharing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
Though the video part may be the most interesting.  The only way I could really see them being able to do this without impacting performance is to just have a bit of fast memory that is filled with the signal that would go to the TV and in hardware it just goes to both of them.  Harding the memory when you go to post.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 01, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
The only way they go with 8GBs is if they change the RAM to slower, cheaper DDR3 RAM.  I think they should stick with the GDDR5 RAM.  It just makes too much sense and 8GBs is overkill.

Yeah, if Sony has 8GBs of GDDR5 RAM that would make the system over $500 again which would be suicide.  No way can that release a system like that anywhere close to $400 unless they'll be willing to take a huge loss on each system which Sony isn't really in a position to do.

Of course after the Vita, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did something that stupid again since they didn't seem to learn much in that case either.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
I hope they are that stupid again. I want my supped up system on the cheap.

After hacking the PS3, it is easily the best entertainment device in my living room, games aside.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 01, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
I agree with Luigi Dude that it would be a stupid thing to do but any company that would release the Vita has already let the Stupid Train out of the station.

Quick, name a videogame company that has EVER learned from their mistakes.  I think Sega with the Dreamcast is about the only one I can really think of and by that point it was too late.  "That's stupid" never stopped Sony, Nintendo, pre-Dreamcast Sega or Atari from making jaw dropping stupid decisions.  At the rate things go I fully expect MS to have the RRoD problem with their next system (they are simply too new to this console thing to have demonstrated an inability to learn from dumb mistakes yet).

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
i believe the wii u architecture is designed to be able to use a part of the gpu to supplement the cpu(i'll dig up the source)
but how close can we expect to be to these alleged specs. could the wii u become the ps2 this gen

and sony, this is not how you end a 6 year loss here

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »
https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

What could be happening?

watch as its just sony trying to keep the vita afloat without a price drop

or trying to push psmobile